inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lofi music: A Gen Z phenomenon or the last gasp of the Millennials?

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/12/19 at 9:39 pm

I'm not trying to develop an argument here or anything, I'm more looking for insights. Looking at artists like Tomppabeats and eevee on the hip-hop end, or Snail Mail and Soccer Mommy on the guitar music end, how old are these folks? Can they be fairly considered the first "real" Gen Z artists, or is chill vibes a late Millennial thing (which would make sense considering chillwave)?

All thoughts are welcome.

Subject: Re: Lofi music: A Gen Z phenomenon or the last gasp of the Millennials?

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/13/19 at 7:45 am

No takers, huh?

Subject: Re: Lofi music: A Gen Z phenomenon or the last gasp of the Millennials?

Written By: mc98 on 02/13/19 at 7:54 am

Lofi is more Gen Z than Millennial.

Written By: Dundee on 02/13/19 at 8:10 am

I dunno where this weird conception that lo-fi music in general is a new phenomenon comes from, but that is not true. Low-Fidelity is something that exists for several decades now and was mostly prevasive in the underground Alt Rock, Punk and Metal scenes.

The Lo-Fi Hip Hop and Bedroom Pop on the other hand are rather new trends.

Chillwave is an extremely Millenial genre though. I don't see how cassette taping would be a Gen Z thing. It blends Electropop with retro music and psychedelic effects. It's basically proto-Vaporwave.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/13/19 at 9:32 am

I dunno where this weird conception that lo-fi music in general is a new phenomenon comes from, but that is not true. Low-Fidelity is something that exists for several decades now and was mostly prevasive in the underground Alt Rock, Punk and Metal scenes.

Chillwave is an extremely Millenial genre though. I don't see how cassette taping would be a Gen Z thing. It blends Electropop with retro music and psychedelic effects. It's basically proto-Vaporwave.

This ^^^

The nostalgic elements of Lofi are very similar to Vaporwave/Chillwave. This is more of a Millennial phenomenon. However, the trend can eventually catch on with Gen Z.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/13/19 at 9:58 am

Oh yeah, I didn’t mean to imply lofi in general was a new thing; this thread is really about the latest crop of lofi, from hip hop and indie to bedroom pop and chillwave.

What I’m really curious about is this: in another thread, I’ve been discussing that even if Millennials are no longer culturally relevant (which is a shame because I feel like we never really got a fair shake), there will continue to be pop culture produced for people of that age, as it has been for Boomers. I’m wondering if people think this lofi stuff may be the first manifestation of “adult” Millennial content.

Written By: xenzue on 02/13/19 at 2:06 pm

2010s Lo-fi music is actually both generations I'd say, although they are in different waves.

Chillwave, Vaporwave, and other related genres that emerged in the late 00s/early 2010s is solidly millennial. I'm not too familiar with this area of music.

Lo-Fi hip hop is somewhat cusp or both generations, leaning more Gen Z.

Lo-Fi guitar/bedroom pop in the style of Clairo, Timmies, pig, Beabadoobee, Temporex, Jakob Ogawa and etc. is solidly Gen Z.

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/13/19 at 2:27 pm

I'm from the hi-fi, wifi, MY-fi gen.  It's all bout me.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/13/19 at 6:16 pm

2010s Lo-fi music is actually both generations I'd say, although they are in different waves.

Chillwave, Vaporwave, and other related genres that emerged in the late 00s/early 2010s is solidly millennial. I'm not too familiar with this area of music.

Lo-Fi hip hop is somewhat cusp or both generations, leaning more Gen Z.

Lo-Fi guitar/bedroom pop in the style of Clairo, Timmies, pig, Beabadoobee, Temporex, Jakob Ogawa and etc. is solidly Gen Z.

Huh, interesting. I’m a lot more well-versed in vaporwave/future funk, so I do know it’s solidly Millennial territory. I was born smack dab in the middle of the generational period (1990), so I’m in that awkward position of coming of age too late to enjoy the best my generation had to offer, and being old enough to contribute too late for it to matter.

Check for new replies or respond here...