inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone who misses early 2010s user interfaces?

Written By: cowboy on 02/16/19 at 5:36 am

I just miss the wallpapers and ringtones on most Android (and iPhone) from that bygone era, especially Samsungs of the day. :)

Over The Horizon's new versions sound worse and I even miss the Whistle tone for when you got a new text message. On iPhone the classic ringtone was better but at least until 6s it was still available (still using a 6s). Oh and the raindrop wallpaper on the iPhones and 3d realistic (skleuro) iOS icons. I miss those!

Also, I prefer the darker style of TouchWiz UI in the Jelly Bean/Android 4.x era than the whiter/washed out ones since Android 6. Anyone else? I don't miss the older slower hardware, mostly the UI.

Subject: Re: Anyone who misses early 2010s Android and iPhone user interfaces?

Written By: Slim95 on 02/17/19 at 1:50 am

I definitely miss iOS early interface before iOS 7. Ever since iOS 7 release in 2013, the UI is really ugly and terrible. The app icons look so cartoonish and childish. It had good design before that. Samsung's UI (touchwiz) was always ugly to me and I never really complained about the UI on stock android it always did a good job with the design I found. I know this is about phones but I also really miss Windows 7 UI still, I don't think I will ever stop missing it it was the bomb.

Subject: Re: Anyone who misses early 2010s user interfaces?

Written By: cowboy on 02/17/19 at 3:15 am

^^lol, I still use Win 7 (on a laptop that came with Win 10!). I just can't get used to Windows 10. The icons are so ugly and the start menu doesn't need those tiles, they're useless on a PC.

However imo Vista had the best interface. Windows 7 is good as well but like a less flashier version of Vista. I miss the teal bars in Vista and the darker look (ironically I dislike the dark look in Win 10 because black doesn't work for me when it's flat and without gradients or glass effects).

I think Ubuntu still looks very similar to how it did in 2013 and I think I'll switch to it rather than use Windows 10. I like its iconic orange/purple wallpapers and the rest of the GUI is also similar. Ubuntu's dark windows have gradients so they don't look as flat as Win 10.

I expanded the title btw. :)

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 02/18/19 at 8:23 pm

Yeah, I miss those designs on websites where it was 3D and shaded, and it showed real images popping out, and the toolbars had shadowing elements. I also miss the skeuomorphic iOS 1-6 design, which used to be very popular from Steve Jobs, especially the Windows Vista/7 Aero interface, which gave you those cool polished 3D effects, and it was beautiful, the startup sounds got you hyped starting up your PC.

I like flat too, because it’s chilling to the eyes and looks modern, it feels like you have a lot of space, minimalism.

Tbh, I like both skeuomorphism and flat designs.

Written By: 2012emo on 02/19/19 at 12:58 pm

i miss it as in i feel nostalgic, but i def don't want it to come back 😖 skeuomorphism made everything look low quality imo. i prefer the flat design since it looks a lot cleaner and sharper.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/19/19 at 9:26 pm

I would love skeuomorphism to come back but this time it would be way better because everything is in HD now so it would look really futuristic and sick. It should really come back just in ultra definition. I want the flat trend to go away completely.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/19/19 at 9:56 pm

I miss it because I'm nostalgic for those days.  However, do I wish they would bring back that look today? Probably not.  I like the current iOS look and feel.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/19/19 at 10:00 pm

I think skeuomorphism is definitely coming back because of VR. VR is changing the game so the way for skeuomorphism to come back is from VR. When I use VR I only see skeuomorphism design and nothing else. Here's an example:

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1600/1*VqRipF7XRr775K4n7gepQQ.gif

Personally I really love it.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 02/20/19 at 12:32 am

I miss it because I'm nostalgic for those days.  However, do I wish they would bring back that look today? Probably not.  I like the current iOS look and feel.

Yeah, I like them both, but flat feels more minimal, and it feels like there’s more space on your table being a minimalist, and it’s very calming to the eyes.

Written By: cowboy on 02/23/19 at 9:43 am

Thankfully Ubuntu looks almost the same it did in 2013. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...