inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Start Thinking About The 2020s (Early)

Written By: exodus08 on 02/17/19 at 1:35 pm

Forbes artical on the 20s -

It’s not too early to be thinking about the decade ahead. We already know it will begin with a ferocious battle for the White House in the USA, the Olympic Games in Tokyo and the UK leaving the European Union. We expect by the mid-2020s the global population will hit 8Billion and we will attempt to send a person back to the moon or even Mars.

All of that is only part of the story, there are four big disruptive trends every entrepreneur should be considering:

1. The Greatest Transfer of Wealth.

The Baby Boomers (born 1946-1964) will be moving into their 70s in full force. After turning 70, people tend to stop earning new income, and they instead sell down assets in order to enjoy retirement. This means selling pension funds, selling big houses or rental properties and selling collectables like art/wine/watches etc.  expanding market.

Baby Boomers currently own over 65% of all assets in the Western World and will either transfer this wealth to the younger generations or spend it on themselves in the 2020s.

2. Millennials Are Coming of Age.

At the same time, the Millennials will be moving through their 30s and into their 40s. This huge generation will be earning more, buying houses, getting married, having and raising children.

Millennials have been referred to as selfish, snowflakes who can’t get ahead financially because of their penchant for avocado on toast and exotic coffee. Honestly though, who isn’t selfish and irresponsible in their 20s. The 2020s will see Millenials grow up, earn more and start becoming an economic powerhouse.

3. Technology Will De-professionalize and Globalize Work.

Technology is removing the barriers to globalism, making it easier to find and pay people anywhere in the world. This means there’s a shift in incomes – from the local average to the global average. In real terms, an accountant in Bristol is potentially in competition with an accountant in Bangalore who’s half the wage and can deliver the same result.

Add to this the wave of automation and AI solutions emerging in the 2020s. The big trend will be de-professionalization – relatively low skilled people working with AI systems can do the work of elite-level experts (eg: nurses will be able to diagnose cancerous cells without an oncologist present).

4. Governments Will Struggle To Stay Solvent

An ageing population is a huge problem for any tax collector – people pay very little tax after 70 and they require increased healthcare. The problem is further compounded by globalization. Most companies are becoming “global citizens” with staff and customers all over the world however Governments by definition are geographically limited in their reach.

At a time where governments of the world probably should have been collaborating to solve the problems associated with taxing global businesses, many have decided to double down on national borders. This may have a catastrophic impact on tax revenues.

Lay Your Foundations Now.

Entrepreneurs can either surf these big waves or get dumped by them. One of the most powerful strategies anyone can focus on is building a strong personal brand within a niche.

The unfolding trends and technology massively support anyone who’s built themselves into a go-to brand. In times of change and uncertainty, people flock towards known, liked and trusted individuals. They want to know that the technology and the team are being overseen by someone they trust.

The Instagram celebrities, YouTube stars and Podcasting hosts many have laughed at or ignored up until now will be building business empires in the 2020s.

All of the technology being created is perfect for people who are positioned as the key people of influence in their industries to reach and sell to a wider audience. With over a billion more people gaining access to fast internet in the 2020s, people who show up powerfully and have products to sell online will have an expanding market.

I believe 2019 is a pivotal time to lay strong foundations as we rapidly approach the “Roaring 2020s”.

Subject: Re: Start Thinking About The 2020s (Early)

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/17/19 at 2:58 pm

Millennials have been referred to as selfish, snowflakes who can’t get ahead financially because of their penchant for avocado on toast and exotic coffee. Honestly though, who isn’t selfish and irresponsible in their 20s. The 2020s will see Millenials grow up, earn more and start becoming an economic powerhouse.

Those fudgers! You want to talk about selfishness and greed? How about those global businesses they talk about whose tax problems supposedly have to be solved?

Written By: exodus08 on 02/17/19 at 3:31 pm

Those fudgers! You want to talk about selfishness and greed? How about those global businesses they talk about whose tax problems supposedly have to be solved?

This article just grinds my gears. The man who wrote the artical has to be a Gen Xer by the look of his picture because he look like someone in his 40s or 50s. If you noticed some of these people who write about Millennials and talk ILL about us it's usually Gen Xers. All I have to say is Gen Z is the next Generation who's gonna be targeted negatively.

Written By: Dundee on 02/17/19 at 3:49 pm

Sounds like a generic guide for entrepreneurs rather than a predictive text with substance.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/17/19 at 4:15 pm

This article just grinds my gears. The man who wrote the artical has to be a Gen Xer by the look of his picture because he look like someone in his 40s or 50s. If you noticed some of these people who write about Millennials and talk ILL about us it's usually Gen Xers. All I have to say is Gen Z is the next Generation who's gonna be targeted negatively.

It's both the boomers and gen x.

All I know is that we millennials should be better and do everything not to play the same kind of crap on the next generations. I honestly think as a generation we have it in us to be better than that.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/17/19 at 8:43 pm

This article just grinds my gears.

Then...why'd you post it?

Written By: exodus08 on 02/17/19 at 10:54 pm

Then...why'd you post it?

The part that grinds my gears is when he says that we're referred to as selfish. Like really? Don't you mean Baby Boomers are selfish and greedy.

Check for new replies or respond here...