inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Trap music is pretty much Crunk but lasted longer

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 02/19/19 at 3:22 am

Trap and Crunk sometimes have the same beat too, but Crunk music was more insane with lil Jon shouting and all, while Trap music is more diverse, there’s of course, mumble rap, but there’s also Trap R&B, Trap EDM, and so on. While Crunk is basically dirty rap, but I can tell it inspired Trap in many ways.

While Crunk didn’t last long, I can see where Trap is trying to revive it somewhat.

Trap: 2014-Maybe 2021
Crunk: 2002-2005/06
New Jack Swing: 1987-1995

I also added New Jack Swing because it also inspired both Crunk and Trap in some areas, as it’s a hip hop/R&B hybrid, and lots of melodic trap songs are like that too, and Crunk&B.

Subject: Re: Trap music is pretty much Crunk but lasted longer

Written By: Dundee on 02/19/19 at 7:45 am

Crunk and Trap both originate from the Dirty Rap scene of Southern Hip Hop (which roughly is from Atlanta).

They're both machine drum-based genres, but besides those two points they don't have much else in common. They're quite opposites in many ways actually. Crunk is more about synth stabs, rarely samples and is usually pretty agressive and energetic. Trap on the other hand is more about hi-hats and kick drums, samples very commonly and is usually dark and moody instead.

I do agree though that Trap had a massive cossover appeal within different genres and is nowadays very widespread across the globe, which is something that Crunk not even closely managed to do.

Written By: Emman on 02/19/19 at 8:52 am

Trap is more 2005-present, 2005 was the year trap exploded in popularity, it's a very old style that's extremely redundant at this point.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 02/19/19 at 12:15 pm

Crunk and Trap both originate from the Dirty Rap scene of Southern Hip Hop (which roughly is from Atlanta).

They're both machine drum-based genres, but besides those two points they don't have much else in common. They're quite opposites in many ways actually. Crunk is more about synth stabs, rarely samples and is usually pretty agressive and energetic. Trap on the other hand is more about hi-hats and kick drums, samples very commonly and is usually dark and moody instead.

I do agree though that Trap had a massive cossover appeal within different genres and is nowadays very widespread across the globe, which is something that Crunk not even closely managed to do.

Yeah, but what do you prefer out of the 3? New Jack Swing, Crunk&B, or Trap R&B?

Check for new replies or respond here...