inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: PS4/Nintendo Switch/XBOX One Yearly Sales!

Written By: mqg96 on 02/20/19 at 7:41 am

Check this out! This is interesting! It looks like the Nintendo Switch has been a success (some people on this forum didn't believe coming into 2017) while the XBOX One is on life support right now!

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/435912/year-on-year-sales-amp-market-share-charts-january-26-2019/

gdl2c-d2ZMA

Subject: Re: PS4/Nintendo Switch/XBOX One Yearly Sales!

Written By: floppy on 02/20/19 at 8:26 am

Im more interested to see if the switch would be able to compete with next gen hardware. But good for Nintendo and Sony.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/20/19 at 9:07 am

Check this out! This is interesting! It looks like the Nintendo Switch has been a success (some people on this forum didn't believe coming into 2017) while the XBOX One is on life support right now!

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/435912/year-on-year-sales-amp-market-share-charts-january-26-2019/

gdl2c-d2ZMA
I'm honestly not shocked, I always knew the switch was going to do well, but due to the failure of the Wii u and the switch January 2017 reveal it caused a lot of pessimism amoung Nintendo fans. The Xbox one was barley beating the Wii u. People act like the Xbox one and the Ps4 was neck to neck when in reality the Xbox one didn't surpass the Wii u lifetime sales till late 2014 while the Ps4 was at already  20 million at that point.

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/20/19 at 4:50 pm

I doubted the Switch because people, my self included aren't really invested in Nintendo systems. Its like you can't trust them like we used to but I am mind blown by how much third party support Nintendo is receiving now.

I hope the Switch is the equivalent to the Nintendo 64 in variety.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/20/19 at 11:02 pm

I doubted the Switch because people, my self included aren't really invested in Nintendo systems. Its like you can't trust them like we used to but I am mind blown by how much third party support Nintendo is receiving now.

You hit the nail on the head, most people who were negative about the switch initial launch weren't core Nintendo fans they just viewed Nintendo from the outside looking in, but as someone who was playing the Wii u most of it's run on the market and kept up with Nintendo gaming news I knew that they were gonna release another groundbreaking console. Just looking at the transtion Gamecube to Wii is a perfect example of that. The GameCube being nintendo's worst selling system at the time to the Wii being it's best selling system to date. I wasn't expecting it to have Wii lifetime sale numbers but more like snes lifetime numbers but judging by the sales it could very well surpass the Wii.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/21/19 at 8:34 am

Yeah Microsoft took a massive 'L' this generation with the Xbone. I know this is a bit of speculation, but in all honesty I feel that the console was doomed from the start with its controversial policy of DRM. That in all honesty killed any sort of momentum the console could've had right outside the gate.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/21/19 at 8:36 am

Yeah, I think looking at Nintendo's history over the years it's always been kinda back and forth with the generations. Since the N64 it's been one successful generation then one failed (or not so successful generation), however, what makes the Switch different is that this is the FIRST Nintendo console in 20 years that's a huge success in sales AND appeals to core gamers at the same time. The Gamecube only did the latter while the Wii only did the first.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/21/19 at 8:49 am

The GameCube being nintendo's worst selling system at the time to the Wii being it's best selling system to date. I wasn't expecting it to have Wii lifetime sale numbers but more like snes lifetime numbers but judging by the sales it could very well surpass the Wii.

What's more shocking to me is that the Nintendo Switch could (and probably will) surpass the XBOX One sales by the end of this generation when the consoles are 3 1/2 years apart!

The Switch is kinda like that football team or basketball team who was one of the worst teams in the league a year ago and went from worst to first in one year and came out of no where with a championship type season.

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/21/19 at 11:49 am

Yeah, I think looking at Nintendo's history over the years it's always been kinda back and forth with the generations. Since the N64 it's been one successful generation then one failed (or not so successful generation), however, what makes the Switch different is that this is the FIRST Nintendo console in 20 years that's a huge success in sales AND appeals to core gamers at the same time. The Gamecube only did the latter while the Wii only did the first.

I won't give a sh!t if the Xbox fail from the market. Two consoles to choose from, Nintendo and Sony is simple and fun. I'll miss the Xbox but something in me wants it discontinued for whatever reason. I feel like the Xbox's run ended in the early 2010s.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/21/19 at 12:27 pm

I won't give a sh!t if the Xbox fail from the market. Two consoles to choose from, Nintendo and Sony is simple and fun. I'll miss the Xbox but something in me wants it discontinued for whatever reason. I feel like the Xbox's run ended in the early 2010s.

To be fair Microsoft has never been a strictly gaming company like Nintendo and Sony have been over the years. Nintendo was the cream of the crop first then Sony has been the most consistent since the late 90's. Nintendo and Sony also have iconic characters for the franchises like Mario or Lara Croft, but that's hardly been the case with Microsoft really. If anything, Microsoft almost damaged the gaming industry. After Sega fell off it should have always been Nintendo vs. Playstation wars all the way. Since I've had my 360 and ONE, I've always used it for apps and DLC just as much as the games or more.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/21/19 at 3:11 pm

To be fair Microsoft has never been a strictly gaming company like Nintendo and Sony have been over the years. Nintendo was the cream of the crop first then Sony has been the most consistent since the late 90's. Nintendo and Sony also have iconic characters for the franchises like Mario or Lara Croft, but that's hardly been the case with Microsoft really. If anything, Microsoft almost damaged the gaming industry. After Sega fell off it should have always been Nintendo vs. Playstation wars all the way. Since I've had my 360 and ONE, I've always used it for apps and DLC just as much as the games or more.
Funny you say that because prior to the ps1 no one took Sony serious as a console manufacturer since they were known for their tvs, walkmans, and cd players back then.

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/21/19 at 8:07 pm

Microsoft has Master Chief from the Halo series who I constantly hear is massively iconic and arguably Banjo and Kazooie, even tho their originally Nintendo. If I'm empathetic for Microsoft, I can't see where Halo will go if Xbox discontinue.

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/23/19 at 9:08 pm

Microsoft is rumored to be putting its exclusives on the Nintendo Switch.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/24/19 at 12:02 am

Microsoft is rumored to be putting its exclusives on the Nintendo Switch.

Are you referring to this? >>> https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/22/18236210/xbox-game-pass-switch-microsoft

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/24/19 at 10:37 am

Are you referring to this? >>> https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/22/18236210/xbox-game-pass-switch-microsoft

I ran into them on YouTube. A part of me hope its true and a part of me hope it isn't.

Check for new replies or respond here...