inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The decadeology concept is blown out of proportions

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/22/19 at 5:46 pm

I just witnessed two decade vs. in music threads and the early, mid or late, which do you prefer were all instantly deleted, which is depressive. They were all honestly fun topics that had nothing to with that made them to be locked. WTF

What needs to be accepted is, there will always be bits of "decadeology" in every specific topic concerning InThe00s and let bygones be bygones.

Subject: Re: The decadeology concept is blown out of proportions

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/22/19 at 5:54 pm

Agreed. I also kind of feel like this website itself is decadeology in a way because it’s literally dedicated to talking about decades.

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/22/19 at 9:29 pm

I agree 100%. This crusade against "decadeology" is getting way out of hand. I mean, the whole point of this site is to talk about decades, right? Meanwhile threads about arbitrary generations/generation cut-offs are spammed constantly, and mods don't bat an eye to them. Not to mention they drag on constantly. I mean seriously, those generation threads go on for like 100+ pages, and it's mostly repeating the same old stuff. But for whatever reasons, the generation threads get a free pass, while the "decadeology" threads are locked for no good reason at all.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/22/19 at 9:36 pm

I just witnessed two decade vs. in music threads and the early, mid or late, which do you prefer were all instantly deleted, which is depressive. They were all honestly fun topics that had nothing to with that made them to be locked. WTF

What needs to be accepted is, there will always be bits of "decadeology" in every specific topic concerning InThe00s and let bygones be bygones.
Yeah right, we made some good arguments in that thread. I know I got some flack for liking 2006 over 2010 but it's whatever. I know me and you are big lovers of 2000s music.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/23/19 at 1:49 am

Do you think that Decadeology is more reviled in February 2019 than it was in February 2018? ???

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/23/19 at 7:18 am

Agreed. I also kind of feel like this website itself is decadeology in a way because it’s literally dedicated to talking about decades.

I agree. Technically this entire site would be shut down if they want to enforce the rules that way. When I first joined this site, the definition of decadeology was a lot more clearer, which was the comparison of one specific year of a decade to a past one (ex: comparing 2019 to 2009 and 1999, etc.). I have seen "generationology" topics get locked as well, even though it was a discussion based on a study of when the de facto dates were for the birth years of each generation.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/23/19 at 7:46 am

I agree. Technically this entire site would be shut down if they want to enforce the rules that way. When I first joined this site, the definition of decadeology was a lot more clearer, which was the comparison of one specific year of a decade to a past one (ex: comparing 2019 to 2009 and 1999, etc.). I have seen "generationology" topics get locked as well, even though it was a discussion based on a study of when the de facto dates were for the birth years of each generation.

Chucky's board. Chucky's rules.

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/23/19 at 8:23 am

Posts that purely turned into "decadeology" can just as easily be deleted rather than the whole thread. It doesn't look professional. It looks lazy.

The threads that were recently locked didn't break the admin's rules. Bruh, you sound like you want a good kid reward.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/23/19 at 8:40 am

The reason for the ban was because certain posters would spam the boards with it. "How is 1983 like 2005." "How is 1983 like 2006." "How is 1983 like 2007." etc, etc. After a while, you couldn't find any other kind of thread because all of these threads just dominated the boards. When asked to stop, they continued and was finally banned-only to keep coming back and spamming the boards again. Because of that, Chucky put a ban on it.

Even though that particular poster is gone (we hope), the potential for spamming the board is still there.

This!

Just so all of you know. I DO NOT make the rules here. I only try to enforce them.

Cat

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/23/19 at 9:09 am

This!

Just so all of you know. I DO NOT make the rules here. I only try to enforce them.

Cat

Did you actually read through http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=59516.0 ?

The thread was unfairly deleted. I doubt the admin would have locked that topic if he seen it. Rather they realize it or not, the site THRIVES off of bits of "decadeology" Nothing can be done but putting a limit on it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/23/19 at 9:32 am

Did you actually read through http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=59516.0 ?

The thread was unfairly deleted. I doubt the admin would have locked that topic if he seen it. Rather they realize it or not, the site THRIVES off of bits of "decadeology" Nothing can be done but putting a limit on it.

That was not me. There are other mods here. I do not question what other mods do. If they believe there was a reason to lock a thread, that is their decision.

Cat

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/23/19 at 10:07 am

That was not me. There are other mods here. I do not question what other mods do. If they believe there was a reason to lock a thread, that is their decision.

Cat

I know it wasn't you who locked the thread. I just wanted an agreement from you.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/23/19 at 10:32 am

I know it wasn't you who locked the thread. I just wanted an agreement from you.

I don't have time to read the entire thing right now but I respect other mods' decision.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/23/19 at 11:07 am

Yep, the mods back each other up here. Gotta keep a tight ship else there would be anarchy.

Which is probably why InThe00s is still here while other sites have come and gone.  8)

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/23/19 at 11:35 am

A lot of threads get locked because they are redundant, especially generationology threads. There's no point in keeping threads open where people regurgitate the same thing over and over again.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/23/19 at 12:32 pm

Here's where I'm still confused to this day, are y'all pissed off about the numerical comparisons like just putting out numbers & nothing else, or are y'all pissed off about comparing the cultural aspects from multiple years or decades, because what was the "more than a decade" board created for? It was created to compare different cultures from multiple decades, since there are some cultural aspects out there that spanned for multiple decades.

"Decadeology" is the most dumbest and idiotic word to ever come into existence, and it only started when I first joined this site. "Decadeology" is a tool, an arbitrary word thrown out at people when you can't stand a good conversation going on when it's not harming others but it's only harming you. "Decadeology" is a term that's used to manipulate and strike fear into others.

I can understand when it's blatant trolling and it causes hostility. There are threads that deserve to be locked because of obvious trolling, but you can't blame us for the so called "decadeology" threads just because of what the trolls may have done in the past or what some trolls are doing in the thread, doesn't mean it's fair to put that all on innocent users who are really trying to put out a detailed explanation and conversation. As long as the conversation doesn't harm others who are in as well.

In that music thread most of us took actual songs/artists from years and we compared them to other artists/songs from different years and we gave our thoughts on opinions on why we enjoyed specific years that gave us great music. We weren't trying to spam 4 digit numbers over and over again without explaining anything. Yet it was locked without any warning.

"Oh if I see 4 digit numbers vs 4 digit numbers IT'S LOCKED I'm too lazy to look through what the thread topic was really about!"

Written By: mqg96 on 02/23/19 at 12:38 pm

I agree 100%. This crusade against "decadeology" is getting way out of hand. I mean, the whole point of this site is to talk about decades, right? Meanwhile threads about arbitrary generations/generation cut-offs are spammed constantly, and mods don't bat an eye to them. Not to mention they drag on constantly. I mean seriously, those generation threads go on for like 100+ pages, and it's mostly repeating the same old stuff. But for whatever reasons, the generation threads get a free pass, while the "decadeology" threads are locked for no good reason at all.

I totally agree 100%.

I have to call BS on the generation threads always getting a pass over the so called "decadeology" threads (and again, some aren't even decadeology, it's just thrown out to manipulate others when you don't like the conversation going on when hardly anyone else has a problem with it). If anything, the generation threads should be locked a lot more often, and it's the generation threads that are 10 times more likely to cause a lot of hostility and arguments than comparing decades.

Even in our personal lives, people love reminiscing cultural aspects and events from decades that they missed, but they hate the generation stuff, it's annoying as hell.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/19 at 1:57 pm

Yep, the mods back each other up here. Gotta keep a tight ship else there would be anarchy.

Which is probably why InThe00s is still here while other sites have come and gone.  8)

and after I believe 20 years the board is still here.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/23/19 at 3:30 pm

"Decadeology" is the most dumbest and idiotic word to ever come into existence, and it only started when I first joined this site.

It is what it is.

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/23/19 at 4:05 pm

I totally agree 100%.

I have to call BS on the generation threads always getting a pass over the so called "decadeology" threads (and again, some aren't even decadeology, it's just thrown out to manipulate others when you don't like the conversation going on when hardly anyone else has a problem with it). If anything, the generation threads should be locked a lot more often, and it's the generation threads that are 10 times more likely to cause a lot of hostility and arguments than comparing decades.

Even in our personal lives, people love reminiscing cultural aspects and events from decades that they missed, but they hate the generation stuff, it's annoying as hell.

"Decadeology" is a word you use when you can't search an actual synonym for it that contradict the complaint. If a mod don't admit to mistakes, they aren't qualified for it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/23/19 at 4:19 pm

"Decadeology" is a word you use when you can't search an actual synonym for it that contradict the complaint. If a mod don't admit to mistakes, they aren't qualified for it.

That's it CatwomanofV. Looks like it's time for you to throw in the towel.  ;D :o ;D :o

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/23/19 at 4:45 pm

That's it CatwomanofV. Looks like it's time for you to throw in the towel.  ;D :o ;D :o

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/rpbleach/images/4/47/Tumblr_llih2rxa1P1qeq4p7o1_400.gif/revision/latest?cb=20150304011732

Get em, Don Carlos.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/PyaKPvc4tYSu8oPVIGY1UXLMZ8pC4JMANd3u0Um2JhW40kE8ncsjq8itNT-mIoo2wNlivgrTYpOcqHW-CaG09sXxAKRV9OHdHmKfc5rtBDMW_UFL0c54Bsp8xWdqpQdxh-25teJd

Check for new replies or respond here...