inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When You Think of Your 20s...

Written By: Slim95 on 02/27/19 at 5:39 pm

Do you associate it more with the first half of your 20s or second half? This is probably more a question to those over 25. Because I was born in January of 1995, exactly half of my 20s will be in the 2010s and the other half in the 2020s. It's funny it works out that way. So basically my question is, when you think of your 20s, is the first thing that pops into your head more when you were 20 - 24 or 25 - 29? For me it's hard to say because many people's University careers is mostly only their teens but for me it will be half my 20s. I'm just wondering if I will associate my 20s with the 2010s decade or the 2020s decade. Basically, should I start preparing my grave next year?  ;D Jk Or will I only start my 20s next year lol. But anyways forgive me if this is not the right section to ask this. I'm curious on your thoughts on what you remember your 20s mostly for.

Subject: Re: When You Think of Your 20s...

Written By: bchris02 on 02/27/19 at 6:08 pm

Do you associate it more with the first half of your 20s or second half? This is probably more a question to those over 25. Because I was born in January of 1995, exactly half of my 20s will be in the 2010s and the other half in the 2020s. It's funny it works out that way. So basically my question is, when you think of your 20s, is the first thing that pops into your head more when you were 20 - 24 or 25 - 29? For me it's hard to say because many people's University careers is mostly only their teens but for me it will be half my 20s. I'm just wondering if I will associate my 20s with the 2010s decade or the 2020s decade. Basically, should I start preparing my grave next year?  ;D Jk Or will I only start my 20s next year lol. But anyways forgive me if this is not the right section to ask this. I'm curious on your thoughts on what you remember your 20s mostly for.

I'd say when I think of "my twenties" I think mostly of when I was 23 up until 30.  I associate my early twenties more with my teens since I was still living at home with my parents then.  Being born in 1985, half of my twenties were in the '00s and half in the '10s.  I associate the '10s more with my twentysomething years.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/27/19 at 6:12 pm

I'd say when I think of "my twenties" I think mostly of when I was 23 up until 30.  I associate my early twenties more with my teens since I was still living at home with my parents then.  Being born in 1985, half of my twenties were in the '00s and half in the '10s.  I associate the '10s more with my twentysomething years.

Ok interesting. That makes me feel hopeful and still young haha.

Written By: 2001 on 02/27/19 at 6:44 pm

Early 20s felt more formative. But I only just turned 26 so that story is yet to be written.

For what it's worth, 2018 was one of the best years of my life, so not all hope is lost for you lol. Being in your late 20s is fun, you are still young and full of energy, but you (for those of us who are fortunate) have money. You'll feel more free (when you're not working) than in your early 20s.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/27/19 at 6:50 pm

I'm only 25 but already break my twenties up into sections. Early 20s, Mid 20s, Late 20s.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/27/19 at 7:01 pm

Early 20s felt more formative. But I only just turned 26 so that story is yet to be written.

For what it's worth, 2018 was one of the best years of my life, so not all hope is lost for you lol. Being in your late 20s is fun, you are still young and full of energy, but you (for those of us who are fortunate) have money. You'll feel more free (when you're not working) than in your early 20s.

Yeah being in your mid-late 20s is awesome. You give less of a f%$k what other think and others bullsheesh.

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/27/19 at 8:49 pm

All my 20s. Their the peak. I associate my 20s with the early and mid 2010s up until 2017.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/27/19 at 8:52 pm

I'm really sad my late twenties were so terrible.  I probably would have really liked the mid 2010s had I been under different circumstances.  My personal life has somewhat improved over the course of my early 30s but now I'm getting out of that "young adult" stage of life and if I still try to dress and act like I'm 25, it starts to get a little embarrassing.  To think that it's all downhill from here is pretty depressing.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/27/19 at 10:09 pm

I'm really sad my late twenties were so terrible.  I probably would have really liked the mid 2010s had I been under different circumstances.  My personal life has somewhat improved over the course of my early 30s but now I'm getting out of that "young adult" stage of life and if I still try to dress and act like I'm 25, it starts to get a little embarrassing.  To think that it's all downhill from here is pretty depressing.

To chris. Eh...25 and early 30s aren't as far apart as people think. In my opinion, they're not far at all. It all really depends if the fashion looks good with your wear and tear or not.

To everyone else, if you're 25, trust me, you'll get to 30 in no time.

To Slim, I probably associate with neither. My 20 and 21 sucked, 22/23 was bittersweet. 24 got good. 24 to 26 were awesome even when there were horrible moments. 27 began a slow descent with ups and downs into...boredom?/Normalcy?

And at 32 turning 33, what am I doing about boredom/normalcy? I'm moving to a different region of my country. To a city that I've wanted to live in for over 10 yrs.

Life doesn't stop throwing curve balls at you at 30. You don't suddenly become 30 and know most things. I have a friend who has been married for 5 years and has two kids. One of those kids is gonna be a preteen soonish. They even have a career with great pay.
All that didn't stop them from having a 30-year life crisis.

At the end of the day, if you have enough freedom and resources, life is whatever you make it.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/27/19 at 10:20 pm

If I had to put my twenties this way, I'd say 20 was alright nothing great but nothing terrible either and it was better than 19. 21 sucked overall but had its great moments that I'm nostalgic for.  22 was awesome at the time but I look back and cringe.  23 and 24 were the best years of my life, even though they had some moments that were among the worst.  25 and 26 were when my life started to go south, but I was still in North Carolina so that at least kept things somewhat exciting.  Everything went to sheesh when I moved back to Oklahoma, shortly before my 27th birthday.  27 and 28 were probably the worst years of my life with 29 being only slightly better.

Overall my life has been slowly improving since my 30th birthday, with a short rough patch in early 2018.  I think I would be a lot happier in my life if I could just get the fudge out of Oklahoma.  It's an absolutely horrible environment for somebody like me.  But at this point I'm so established here that leaving is easier said than done.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/27/19 at 10:34 pm

I'm envious of you for getting to move @BornIn86.  I've been thinking recently how my life dream right now is doing something I actually did in my twenties but threw away.

Written By: 2001 on 02/27/19 at 11:03 pm

Being 20 was the most difficult for me, but nothing to do with my age.

21 was A LOT of fun but also depressing, I felt very lonely that year.

22 was wild, I think I did most my growing up that year. I wouldn't mind reliving it, but it was 2015 and I felt so stressed and angry all the time because of the news.

23 was 2016, so I'm not sure if it's the age or the year that sucked. Not something I'd want to relive though. This is my peak cringe year for sure.

24 was when things got better. It was wild in a youthful way but I started to feel a little more mature compared to early 20s.

25 is the best. I wish I could've stayed 25 forever lol. All I can say is money buys happiness, and hit the gym brehs. 25/26 so far has been my biological/athletic peak.

I turned 26 10 days ago so I don't have an opinion on that yet. I feel more in control of my life compared to my early 20s though, that's about all I can say. I hope this year goes well.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/27/19 at 11:26 pm

All I can say is money buys happiness

Actually. money may not buy happiness but it will buy a yacht that pulls you up damn close to it.  ;D  ;D

Written By: bchris02 on 02/27/19 at 11:58 pm

I don't think money itself gets you happiness.  It's how you use your money that will make or break you.  Two people can make the same amount of money, but one may spend it on a nice house, car, clothing, etc and the other may live more modestly but spend money on things like taking trips and other experiences.  One may live in a cheap area where they can have nice things for cheap but the overall quality of life is very low.  The other may live in an expensive area and be forced to live frugally but be in an area that is much more fulfilling to live in.  Each person would be living a very different life.  I personally think the person spending their money on experiences will be happier and it's also important to live somewhere you can tolerate.  It's especially important not to let familial expectations get in the way of perusing what you want in life.

Written By: JackSepton on 02/28/19 at 12:29 am

so how would you guys divide up the core, ultimate and hybrid 2010s 20 somethings?
can the autistic chart makers please educate us? lol

Written By: Slim95 on 02/28/19 at 12:38 am

So far for me...

20 - Pretty fun year. First year of University. The year I quit working in retail too. But I still felt pretty immature.

21 - Pretty decent year. Started coming out of my shell and want to some counselling and was making a little more friends. I was a little more confident this year. I worked fast food for two months then quit lol. I was still pretty childish this year too. This wasn't as good and fun as the last year though and my first year of University. But I did not experience "the dread of 2016" like many did. There were actually a couple fun moments from this year including my trip to Las Vegas.

22 - Awesome and amazing year I will never forget it. I've done a lot of growing up this year... Pretty much became an actual mature adult in a lot of ways. Much more confident and at peace with myself. So many good memories of this year.

23 - Weird year. Like the high of 22 wore off. I remained the same as I was at 22 but a couple rough patches came by and some of life's challenges came hitting at me. Was it terrible? No. But it wasn't a great year either. Did some more growing up later in the year because of the rough patches and moving out of my parent's place too.

24 - Well I'll have to wait and see but I'm feeling pretty hopeful. I feel relatively the same as 23 so far, but I feel I will grow even more this year. We'll see!

Written By: Slim95 on 02/28/19 at 12:42 am

22 was wild, I think I did most my growing up that year. I wouldn't mind reliving it, but it was 2015 and I felt so stressed and angry all the time because of the news.

Same as me man! Something about 22 must be special eh?

Written By: Slim95 on 02/28/19 at 12:44 am

so how would you guys divide up the core, ultimate and hybrid 2010s 20 somethings?
can the autistic chart makers please educate us? lol

Go troll somewhere else. Stop using autistic as an insult there are actually many people on this website who are on the autism spectrum so have some respect.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/28/19 at 12:50 am

I'm envious of you for getting to move @BornIn86.  I've been thinking recently how my life dream right now is doing something I actually did in my twenties but threw away.

B, I really doubt your financial situation is so bad that you have to stay where you are for very long. Are all your limbs working and you can work? Then choose a place you want to live...even if it is just the nearest big city with decent public transit. Research the area you want to move to, save for 6 months as if you would have no job for the entire time (but find a job as soon as you can) and budget enough that you can save some money. Even if you have a horrible credit score, filed for bankruptcy, you can still find a room to rent from someone out there.

If this can't be accomplished, I suspect I don't know your full situation.  :-[

Written By: exodus08 on 02/28/19 at 1:30 am

I'll be 29 in May and all I can say is so far my 20s were mixed with the good and bad just like everyone else. Early 20s were the best and Mid 20s were ok but not the best. so far my late 20s were better than my mid 20s. I spent my 20s in the 2010s. I'll be 30 next year.

Written By: Howard on 02/28/19 at 5:32 am

I started my 20's in 1994 and I'm going to be 45 next month, I would say it had some good and bad points.

Written By: shadowcookie on 02/28/19 at 6:54 am

You need to stop being so dramatic. Enjoy the rest of your 30s and dress however you want. Surely by the time you’re 33 you should have stopped caring what other people think of you? It’s not high school anymore.

Anyway, I’m 24 this year so I obviously can’t answer this question yet. However, I guess 25 would be the archetypal 20s year, and mid 20s more generally.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/28/19 at 11:50 am

My 20s were mostly fun and full of accomplishment.  I was in good health, bought a house, got married, had a kid.  Accomplished some unique vehicle projects and was proud of having nice things, was more involved in sharing those online too.  Websites were optimized to run on slow connections.  Most of my 30s involved the recession and housing crisis which affected my life in many ways, and life became more of a matter of survival.  Am 42 now, some of those things have changed, and hoping the rest of my 40s takes a turn for the better again.

Written By: cowboy on 03/29/19 at 6:14 pm

I remember more fondly being 24-25. Is that mid 20s? 26 started ok but then it hit the fan. 27-29 went so fast but it was mostly bad.

Check for new replies or respond here...