inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Late 2017-2019 transition

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 02/28/19 at 9:06 pm

Note that the transition is still not done, and I’m not trying to start another decadeology talk. Some trends may come back later on.

You may not see a difference between Mid 2017 and today, but there are some parts that make 2019 a little bit unique. The transition to the post-core 2010s era is slow, but it started off in late 2017, when Cardi B hits the mainstream media, and Trap is almost at the peak of its popularity, and there’s of course, Fortnite, which rapidly grew in popularity. Core 2010s acts such as Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, Shawn Mendes, and Selena Gomez remained popular in early to mid 2018, but it is showing that Early/Mid 2010s artists like Justin and Taylor are fading in the background, while Ariana Grande is the last woman standing, while Bazzi, Halsey, Camilla Cabello, and Post Malone were slowly taking over their popularities. The MCU falls down with Infinity War -Not gonna spoil it- and shows like Game of Thrones and Big Bang theory are announced that they’re ending.

I really apologize for repeating what I say, but do you guys think we’re in a state of transition, or it’s completely identical to Early-Mid 2017?

Subject: Re: The Late 2017-2019 transition

Written By: annimal on 02/28/19 at 9:20 pm

I'm not a guy, I'm a gal

Written By: mc98 on 02/28/19 at 9:42 pm

Note that the transition is still not done, and I’m not trying to start another decadeology talk. Some trends may come back later on.

You may not see a difference between Mid 2017 and today, but there are some parts that make 2019 a little bit unique. The transition to the post-core 2010s era is slow, but it started off in late 2017, when Cardi B hits the mainstream media, and Trap is almost at the peak of its popularity, and there’s of course, Fortnite, which rapidly grew in popularity. Core 2010s acts such as Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, Shawn Mendes, and Selena Gomez remained popular in early to mid 2018, but it is showing that Early/Mid 2010s artists like Justin and Taylor are fading in the background, while Ariana Grande is the last woman standing, while Bazzi, Halsey, Camilla Cabello, and Post Malone were slowly taking over their popularities. The MCU falls down with Infinity War -Not gonna spoil it- and shows like Game of Thrones and Big Bang theory are announced that they’re ending.

I really apologize for repeating what I say, but do you guys think we’re in a state of transition, or it’s completely identical to Early-Mid 2017?

I'm gonna be honest, everything feels the same since mid 2017.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 02/28/19 at 9:56 pm

I'm gonna be honest, everything feels the same since mid 2017.

Yeah, I mean, Trap is still huge, and Ariana Grande, Post Malone, and EDM artists like Marshmello are still very relevant. Donald Trump is still president, and he’s only going to gain notoriety and hate lol  ;D Snapchat, Instagram, same thing. YouTubers like Dude Perfect and MrBeast, same thing. Yeah, plenty of 2017 still feels the same today.

Written By: mc98 on 02/28/19 at 10:00 pm

Yeah, I mean, Trap is still huge, and Ariana Grande, Post Malone, and EDM artists like Marshmello are still very relevant. Donald Trump is still president, and he’s only going to gain notoriety and hate lol  ;D Snapchat, Instagram, same thing. YouTubers like Dude Perfect and MrBeast, same thing. Yeah, plenty of 2017 still feels the same today.

We're still in the late 2010s for sure. I don't see signs of early 2020s culture just yet. We will probably know by mid-late 2019.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 02/28/19 at 10:37 pm

We're still in the late 2010s for sure. I don't see signs of early 2020s culture just yet. We will probably know by mid-late 2019.

Late 2010s core, or late 2010s post-core? 3 quarters of 2018 still felt like the core 2010s.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/01/19 at 11:52 am

Everything feels the same since 2016. I don't know how 2017 was transitional maybe the only thing that changed that year was the transition to trap being dominant but other than that 2017 was a very consistent year from start to finish same as 2018. 2015 and 2016 was a pretty big change though.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/01/19 at 12:14 pm

Everything culturally and politically feels the same since the start of 2017. The previous transition was late 2015-2016.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/01/19 at 12:27 pm

I remember in early 2017 I thought music was going into a good direction finally and there was so much diversity in the charts. I think it was around April of 2017 when there was a mix of soft rock, soul, funk, hip-hop, bubblegum trap, latin pop, and EDM on the charts. And all of the songs were actually decent. It was crazy how diverse the charts were and how good it sounded I was pretty excited. But then summer of 2017 came along, and all that changed to trap being every single song on the charts and music completely went to trash later that year when all there was was trap. It's weird it's like 2017 was supposed to be a good change but it didn't end up happening. Younger people preferred trap music only for whatever reason.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/01/19 at 5:29 pm

Mid 2017 in music was more diverse, as you had EDM, Trap, Spanish Pop, Bubblegum pop, R&B, Soul, and Pop Rock. But 2019 is mainly Trap, Lo-fi, And Dark pop. 2017 had a colorful daytime vibe, while 2019 is more Dark and Lo-fi.

Imagine Dragons were pretty much off the charts by Mid 2018, and Shawn Mendes and Ed Sheeran hasn’t released a new song yet, but I REALLY hope they do. Justin B., and Taylor Swift have been fully irrelevant by Mid 2018. Especially 2016/17 acts like Bebe Rexha and Alessia Cara are no longer relevant by 2018  :-[ Sucks to see how not even a single song from them are at the charts. The Weeknd was still relevant in 2017, but again, gone. All that’s left is Ariana Grande, while most core 2010s artists were slowly leaving the charts as 2018 passes by, because they don’t make as much music, so right now, Halsey and Post Malone are substituting, but I really hope Core 2010s artists like Shawn, Justin, Ed, Bebe, and Selena Gomez come back to the charts. So in terms of pop music, it’s very different from 2017, but Trap music is still around, although it sounds sadder and Lo-fi, it you listen to A Lot by 21 Savage.

Do you guys also hope that the Core 2010s artists release another song and be at the top charts? Because they made music happy to listen to, and I really want them back in the charts.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/01/19 at 5:55 pm

Mid 2017 in music was more diverse, as you had EDM, Trap, Spanish Pop, Bubblegum pop, R&B, Soul, and Pop Rock. But 2019 is mainly Trap, Lo-fi, And Dark pop. 2017 had a colorful daytime vibe, while 2019 is more Dark and Lo-fi.

Imagine Dragons were pretty much off the charts by Mid 2018, and Shawn Mendes and Ed Sheeran hasn’t released a new song yet, but I REALLY hope they do. Justin B., and Taylor Swift have been fully irrelevant by Mid 2018. Especially 2016/17 acts like Bebe Rexha and Alessia Cara are no longer relevant by 2018  :-[ Sucks to see how not even a single song from them are at the charts. The Weeknd was still relevant in 2017, but again, gone. All that’s left is Ariana Grande, while most core 2010s artists were slowly leaving the charts as 2018 passes by, because they don’t make as much music, so right now, Halsey and Post Malone are substituting, but I really hope Core 2010s artists like Shawn, Justin, Ed, Bebe, and Selena Gomez come back to the charts. So in terms of pop music, it’s very different from 2017, but Trap music is still around, although it sounds sadder and Lo-fi, it you listen to A Lot by 21 Savage.

Do you guys also hope that the Core 2010s artists release another song and be at the top charts? Because they made music happy to listen to, and I really want them back in the charts.

A lot of recent stuff by core 2010s artists really hasn't been that great.  One exception is Ariana Grande, who I like a lot better now than I did back in 2014-16.  Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, and Lady Gaga have all disappointed recently.  I haven't really liked Kesha as well either.  Apparently Bieber has a new album coming soon so we'll see what he brings to the table.  Ed Sheeran is between albums.  The Chainsmokers, Zedd, Bebe Rexha, The Weeknd, and Alessia Cara are still relevant but I agree they aren't as much as they were a couple of years ago.  Right now it's hip-hop/R&B and dance music that is really shining.

I think in 2019, the '10s are winding down and having another very strong era for artists that were popular during the electropop era is becoming less and less likely.  The exception is Taylor Swift who is good at re-inventing herself as trends and tastes change.

Written By: February2002 on 03/01/19 at 7:23 pm

For the record the transition happened in 2016 when Donald was elected

We been riding that wave since

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/02/19 at 11:21 am

Yeah I’m definitely in this camp. But disagree that 2019 feels dark; I like the chill lofi vibes.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/02/19 at 3:39 pm

I agree with the others. There hasn't been much of a significant change since 2017 besides the music being somewhat diverse again. I don't think we'll see a huge transition until next year at the most. As for Shawn Mendes, The Weeknd, and Ed Sheeran, they're all still popular. I mean they had successful songs throughout last year so I wouldn't say they're irrelevant. I believe Justin and Taylor are on their way out considering they already were known as soon as the decade began and they had famous songs such as "Baby" and "You Belong to Me."  Regarding Selena, she could be back in the spotlight if a new album comes out this year and I also hope that Camila returns too. She had a good one last year.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/19 at 3:50 pm

How late is the 2017-2019 transition?

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/02/19 at 5:32 pm

A lot of recent stuff by core 2010s artists really hasn't been that great.  One exception is Ariana Grande, who I like a lot better now than I did back in 2014-16.  Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, and Lady Gaga have all disappointed recently.  I haven't really liked Kesha as well either.  Apparently Bieber has a new album coming soon so we'll see what he brings to the table.  Ed Sheeran is between albums.  The Chainsmokers, Zedd, Bebe Rexha, The Weeknd, and Alessia Cara are still relevant but I agree they aren't as much as they were a couple of years ago.  Right now it's hip-hop/R&B and dance music that is really shining.

I think in 2019, the '10s are winding down and having another very strong era for artists that were popular during the electropop era is becoming less and less likely.  The exception is Taylor Swift who is good at re-inventing herself as trends and tastes change.

Ariana has really upped her game lately so I'm not surprised she's bigger now. I still don't care that much for her voice but she's definitely blossoming as a likable pop star lately.

Lady Gaga has pretty much moved on from the modern pop world. It's best to just let that image of her go.

Idk about Taylor.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/03/19 at 12:16 pm

Yeah 2015/2016 was the last transition. Since then we have not had a "transition". I mean even now I don't feel like we are in a transition. Maybe later in the year when the elections happen I will feel differently. 

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/03/19 at 1:12 pm

Ariana has really upped her game lately so I'm not surprised she's bigger now. I still don't care that much for her voice but she's definitely blossoming as a likable pop star lately.

Lady Gaga has pretty much moved on from the modern pop world. It's best to just let that image of her go.

Idk about Taylor.

The Ariana of now is the equivalent of when Britney Spears released "Toxic". Just like the artists themselves age, their styles mature and no longer teen pop.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/03/19 at 5:02 pm

Lady Gaga have all disappointed recently.  I haven't really liked Kesha as well either.  Apparently Bieber has a new album coming soon so we'll see what he brings to the table.  Ed Sheeran is between albums.  The Chainsmokers, Zedd, Bebe Rexha, The Weeknd, and Alessia Cara are still relevant but I agree they aren't as much as they were a couple of years ago.  Right now it's hip-hop/R&B and dance music that is really shining.

I'd have to disagree on the bold. Lady Gaga has seen a pretty substantial comeback in the last few years. So much so that even I, whom was skeptical about Gaga making a comeback on these boards as well back in 2015-2016 (when she admittedly was in a bit of a drought at that time), am now starting to eat my own words.

She's not the eccentric electropop artist she was 10 years ago, thats for sure. But she evolved into a beautiful & elegant artists of sublime proportions.

1MagImMpI7M
JPJjwHAIny4

Between her soft rock hit album Joane, her powerful Superbowl Halftime Performance for Suberbowl LI (which set a high precedent for Superbowl halftime shows, and hasn't been topped since), her involvement in American Horror Story, and of course her critically acclaimed performance in A Star is Born which was nominated and received numerous awards (not to mention the soundtrack of that movie going platinum), Gaga has truly blossomed to a higher level. A level, I dare say it, that barely few pop divas from the 1990s & 2000s like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Katy Perry, Kesha, among others, have reached & (no offense to them) may never reach. Gaga is now on or about to approach the level of musical, artistic, & legendary prowess of greats like Beyonce or Madonna. Thats saying something.

So, even though we all crave for & wish that Gaga returns to her roots as the fun loving, controversial seeking, & boundary pushing electropop star from the Late 2000s/Early 2010s, that ship has unfortunately set sail. But that doesn't discard the fact that Lady Gaga has certainly aged far more gracefully & done so much more in her career than artists like Spears or Aguilera at their similar points in their careers. Gaga still has a good career ahead of her, and she is certainly going to continue aging as a 'fine wine' of sorts.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/10/19 at 11:06 pm

Idk about Taylor.
I think she is about to finish up her career considering she's been mainstream for a decade at this point. Besides she peaked back in 2015 with her 1989 album and her 2017 one ended up being a flop.

As for Ariana, I agree she has. I remember her starting out with "The Way" with Mac Miller which had a 90s throwback beat to it. Now compare that song to her newer one "Break Up with your girlfriend, I'm bored" and it fits in with the current trend. Plus, she's doing a lot better (other than losing one of her exes) than she was 2-4 years ago with all the controversies as well as her concert bombing.

I'd have to disagree on the bold. Lady Gaga has seen a pretty substantial comeback in the last few years. So much so that even I, who was skeptical about Gaga making a comeback on these boards as well back in 2015-2016 (when she admittedly was in a bit of a drought at that time), am now starting to eat my own words.

She's not the eccentric electropop artist she was 10 years ago, that's for sure. But she evolved into a beautiful & elegant artist of sublime proportions.

1MagImMpI7M
JPJjwHAIny4

Between her soft rock hit album Joane, her powerful Superbowl Halftime Performance for Superbowl LI (which set a high precedent for Superbowl halftime shows, and hasn't been topped since), her involvement in American Horror Story, and of course her critically acclaimed performance in A Star is Born which was nominated and received numerous awards (not to mention the soundtrack of that movie going platinum), Gaga has truly blossomed to a higher level. A level, I dare say it, that barely few pop divas from the 1990s & 2000s like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Katy Perry, Kesha, among others, have reached & (no offense to them) may never reach. Gaga is now on or about to approach the level of musical, artistic, & legendary prowess of greats like Beyonce or Madonna. That's saying something.

So, even though we all crave for & wish that Gaga returns to her roots as the fun-loving, controversial seeking, & boundary-pushing electropop star from the Late 2000s/Early 2010s, that ship has unfortunately set sail. But that doesn't discard the fact that Lady Gaga has certainly aged far more gracefully & done so much more in her careers than artists like Spears or Aguilera at their similar points in their careers. Gaga still has a good career ahead of her, and she is certainly going to continue aging like a 'fine wine' of sorts.
Yeah, I agree with you. Lady Gaga has actually been doing much better for the last few years and now not only does she have a Grammy but she now also has an Oscar which tells you she's getting better and better over time. I have a feeling that if adult contemporary returns in the next decade, she will be one of the biggest contenders for that genre.

Written By: cowboy on 03/11/19 at 11:56 am

Oh, Gaga definitely rebounded for now! They constantly play their colab w Bradley Cooper on the radio. First time since 2013 to have a song with her played that much!
Thank God! Late 00s/early 10s celebs were/are much better than the likes of Dua Lipa, Cardi B, Ariana etc. I consider those celebs trashy* and unoriginal, clones of Niki Minaj, Rita Ora et al. without the best things about them intact. :P

*I'm sorry for being so negative, but I hate the way a new batch of celebrities are agressively being pushed by the companies, when some of them feel like direct copies of previous A listers. It always happens but nowadays it's very agressive. And besides, Bruno, Taylor, Gaga, Drake and Niki all have more talent than many mid/late 2010s discoveries.

Written By: Dundee on 03/11/19 at 11:59 am

Yes "Shallow" definitely catapulted Lady Gaga right back to relevancy.
With the golden globe, academy award, all the grammies and the billboard #1 on both the album and single charts, she's having a fantastic 2019 so far.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/11/19 at 4:55 pm

Yes "Shallow" definitely catapulted Lady Gaga right back to relevancy.
With the golden globe, academy award, all the grammies and the billboard #1 on both the album and single charts, she's having a fantastic 2019 so far.

Yeah, she also made a few appearances in 2016 and 2017, with perfect illusion, and a million reasons, but they’re not as electropop/synth-pop like, more on rock with some R&B elements. Shallow is, again, not electropop, not even at least New Wave, but it sounds less autotuned at least, and if you hear her without autotune, she’s actually good!

Written By: Dundee on 03/11/19 at 6:26 pm

Yeah, she also made a few appearances in 2016 and 2017, with perfect illusion, and a million reasons, but they’re not as electropop/synth-pop like, more on rock with some R&B elements. Shallow is, again, not electropop, not even at least New Wave, but it sounds less autotuned at least, and if you hear her without autotune, she’s actually good!
She has dropped the Electropop ever since she released that Vocal Jazz album with Tony Bennett back in 2014.
She went then on an acoustic road starting with her Joanne album, which commercially was a pretty big disappointement. Especially "Perfect Illusion" which was supposed to be that big, iconic comeback single but did very poorly and dropped off the charts rather quickly.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/11/19 at 10:46 pm

She has dropped the Electropop ever since she released that Vocal Jazz album with Tony Bennett back in 2014.
She went then on an acoustic road starting with her Joanne album, which commercially was a pretty big disappointement. Especially "Perfect Illusion" which was supposed to be that big, iconic comeback single but did very poorly and dropped off the charts rather quickly.

Yeah, I prefer her being more electronic than acoustic tbh.

Written By: cowboy on 03/12/19 at 5:02 pm

An article I read said that Gaga and Taylor almost traded places. The guy said no one 10 years ago would think Gaga would be doing a song like 'Shallow' and Taylor would be releasing things like LWYMMD. Gaga's reinvention worked but I prefer her shorter hair with bangs look. She was so hot in the Poker Face video.

Electropop is currently not very in as pop kinda merged with trap influences (is trap what that annoying, unintelligible accented singing is called)? It only works for Rihanna, Niki Minaj and Fergie imo.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/12/19 at 5:07 pm

I agree with Zelda and Nerdy about Lady Gaga the last few years. I've preferred her now instead of the late 00's and early 10's, and if there was one negative thing about the electropop era for me, it was Lady Gaga. I never liked her style during that time. That Super Bowl LI halftime performance was the one my Falcons were in before the epic collapse, but the Super Bowl LIII halftime show that was in my city was the complete opposite  8-P

Check for new replies or respond here...