inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think that the 2020 presidential election will be the biggest election?

Written By: 1997days on 03/04/19 at 3:39 pm

I have a feeling the 2020 presidential elections will be treated as big as the 08-09 election but you never know it might be bigger.  Because I think any presidential election that's at the start of the decade automatically can dictate alot of things.

Subject: Re: Do you think that the 2020 presidential election will be the biggest election?

Written By: bchris02 on 03/04/19 at 3:46 pm

I have a feeling the 2020 presidential elections will be treated as big as the 08-09 election but you never know it might be bigger.  Because I think any presidential election that's at the start of the decade automatically can dictate alot of things.

I think 1860 is a better comparison.

The media says this almost every election cycle but I do think 2020 is going to be the most pivotal election in the past century.  And I think which way it goes decides whether or not American society will make it to 2030.  And at this point, I'm not optimistic at all.

Subject: Re: Do you think that the 2020 presidential election will be the biggest election?

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/04/19 at 7:01 pm

Not trying to be too decadeological here, but I think it will be comparable to the 2004 elections, when GWB got reelected. I'm not sure who will run against Trump, but he (or she) will probably be an unpopular candidate who will dissappoint Democrats (back then Howard Dean appeared to be the front runner and had a shot, especially since he was a moderate liberal, but he blew it with his "BIYAAH!" speech so that's how John Kerry ended up getting nominated). Most people will be pessimistic either way, like in 2016, and think at least we'll know what we're getting with Trump. Plus Trump has a lot of supporters, so I'll think he'll get enough votes to get reelected.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/04/19 at 8:04 pm

I think it will, but nothing to do with the beginning of a decade.  Last election was much bigger than anyone predicted.  People identified with Trump, many people who had no interest voting in the past.  He showed that anybody can be president, not just career politicians.  I think the upcoming election will be just as big if not bigger.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/04/19 at 11:22 pm

Not trying to be too decadeological here, but I think it will be comparable to the 2004 elections, when GWB got reelected. I'm not sure who will run against Trump, but he (or she) will probably be an unpopular candidate who will dissappoint Democrats (back then Howard Dean appeared to be the front runner and had a shot, especially since he was a moderate liberal, but he blew it with his "BIYAAH!" speech so that's how John Kerry ended up getting nominated). Most people will be pessimistic either way, like in 2016, and think at least we'll know what we're getting with Trump. Plus Trump has a lot of supporters, so I'll think he'll get enough votes to get reelected.

I don't think it's really comparable.  The 2004 election came at a time when Bush support was falling rapidly due to an unpopular war in Iraq.  The economy was doing okay but not great.  The GOP turned to fear of gay marriage to drive Christian conservative voters to the polls.

2020 is going to be a referendum on Trump.  Trump was only able to win in 2016 because Hillary was such a weak candidate.  Trump may not be losing many supporters but he has to expand his base if he wants to be re-elected.  You can bet the anti-Trump turnout will be much higher in 2020 than it was 2016.  Too many people were complacent and they thought that there was no way Trump could win.  They would have been correct had they voted.

I'm sure Trump is really going to focus on the abortion issue going into the 2020 election to really drive Christian Right voter turnout.  Question is, will that get him the votes in the states he needs?  I think it's possible but is by no means a sure thing.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/05/19 at 12:47 am

In thinking about Trump's re-election chances, he has these things going for and against him.

FOR:
-Strong, cult-like following among his base which comprises around 35% of Americans
-The Democratic Party, particularly the social justice aspect of it, is very unpopular right now

AGAINST:
-High disapproval rating.  The anti-Trump vote will be more motivated than in 2016.
-He's lost support among white suburban voters with a college degree.  That could mean trouble in states he won by only a few thousand votes

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/05/19 at 8:56 pm

I don't think it's really comparable.  The 2004 election came at a time when Bush support was falling rapidly due to an unpopular war in Iraq.  The economy was doing okay but not great.  The GOP turned to fear of gay marriage to drive Christian conservative voters to the polls.

2020 is going to be a referendum on Trump.  Trump was only able to win in 2016 because Hillary was such a weak candidate.  Trump may not be losing many supporters but he has to expand his base if he wants to be re-elected.  You can bet the anti-Trump turnout will be much higher in 2020 than it was 2016.  Too many people were complacent and they thought that there was no way Trump could win.  They would have been correct had they voted.

I'm sure Trump is really going to focus on the abortion issue going into the 2020 election to really drive Christian Right voter turnout.  Question is, will that get him the votes in the states he needs?  I think it's possible but is by no means a sure thing.

Agree with all of this except there's one thing missing. The War On Terror. I remember there was definitely a feeling in the air that the public was getting tired of the issues with Iraq and Afghanistan but a lot of people had this idea that Bush was probably a better war president than Kerry. I even had friends who didn't like Bush but felt that Bush should be reelected to fix the problems he made...something I didn't understand because why rehire a company that made the mess in the first place? You take em to court, not rehire them.

But yeah, I doubt Trump is gonna win again unless the Dem candidate really screws up. The house going to the Dems was a bad sign for the Republicans. Most of the historically blue districts that voted Republican in 2016 went to blue again in 2018 and those were the districts that gave Trump his electoral victory.

I think Sanders can actually win without Clinton's family name taking up all the votes, but if Beto jumps in, I'm pretty sure Beto O'Rourke is gonna sweep the place.

Written By: Howard on 03/06/19 at 2:57 pm

Depends on who will be running in 2020?

Written By: mqg96 on 03/06/19 at 3:50 pm

Nope. That will belong to the 2024 election. The 2020 election is setting up to be the next Bush/Kerry I’m afraid.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/06/19 at 3:52 pm

I completely agree with you on this. My thoughts as well. Coming from someone who despises Trump btw.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/10/19 at 10:26 pm

Yes, I do! I believe it that it could be the most groundbreaking presidential election since 2008. So far, there's a variety of candidates ranging from young to old, white to Indian and men to women. Plus, there's a new generation on the way that's going to vote in significant numbers and might change the direction of the country.

Check for new replies or respond here...