inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does overexposure make you dislike people or things?

Written By: cowboy on 03/07/19 at 7:10 am

How do you feel about being a fan of some celebrity or polititian? Or an anti-fan?
I think these days we forget to be our own fans and celebrities for most people addicted to TV watching and following the latest political b.s. or celebrtiy gossip don't seem very hapy to me. They're usually just consumers but they often forget to be creative. To me it's counter-productive after a long day at work instead of painting or going to the gym to just sit on the computer and follow the latest celebrity gossip. At the end I end up feeling empty. I think the more the media pushes a person or song/movie, the less I can appreciate them. The proof is that if I avoid the hype or I look back at them after they're past their prime, I am able to enjoy them. Examples: Obama, Lady Gaga etc. I appreciate them now more. Back in 2011  was like pffff.

I'm not gonna label it as worship/idolatry of celebrities or something, but I myself feel much better not following celebrity news. In fact I enjoy their songs, movies etc a thousand times more without following their lives and opinions. I was able to disregard judging and prejudice and even enjoyed music for another target audience by ppl like One Direction for example in 2013... all because I was listening them on the radio and didn't know I was not supposed to like their songs by the stupid, ignorant society. So following their personal lives is toxic to me, but just enjoying their art without any judgement is the best thing ever! You might try it! :)

Subject: Re: Why are celebrities toxic to me?

Written By: cowboy on 03/07/19 at 1:22 pm

Oh I also get to hate every of our presidents and prime ministers and also the US ones as media always shows them constantly. The more I see a politian the less I like them. ;) Ironically, after they leave office I sometimes go revisionist and start to miss the ones I was fed up with: I was fed up with Obama but now I miss him as I hate Trump now. I hated how overexposed or overplayed Justin B, Selena Gomez, Gotye, Miley were, now I think they were actually better than the late 2010s new artists. The only time I actually was able to enjoy it as it happened was the new music of 2013. Anyone can relate? How to stop living in constant state of nostalgia and rose-tinted view of the past?

Subject: Re: Why are celebrities toxic to me?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/07/19 at 1:26 pm

Oh I also get to hate every of our presidents and prime ministers and also the US ones as media always shows them constantly. The more I see a politian the less I like them. ;) Ironically, after they leave office I sometimes go revisionist and start to miss the ones I was fed up with: I was fed up with Obama but now I miss him as I hate Trump now. I hated how overexposed or overplayed Justin B, Selena Gomez, Gotye, Miley were, now I think they were actually better than the late 2010s new artists. The only time I actually was able to enjoy it as it happened was the new music of 2013. Anyone can relate? How to stop living in constant state of nostalgia and rose-tinted view of the past?
Has the USA every had a Prime Minister?

Subject: Does overexposure make you dislike people or things?

Written By: cowboy on 03/07/19 at 1:31 pm

Haha no I mean my country's presidents and prime ministers plus whoever is the POTUS at the time. I think it's overexposure fatigue or sth like that.

Once the media stops pushing/overplaying someone or something down my throat I am more able to appreciate their good qualities. I remember hating on 2006-2013 era Disney, now I miss it lol. I hated Megan Fox, now I miss her. Heck, I miss Gotye and Rebecca Black! :) Please, someone tell me they have experienced the same!  I think avoiding media hype/gossip and just enjoying the radio hits is one way to enjoy current music without feeling like the press is forcing a band/artist to me.

Subject: Re: Does overexposure make you dislike people or things?

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/07/19 at 1:48 pm

If it weren't for gossip some people would have nothing to talk about.

Written By: cowboy on 03/07/19 at 1:54 pm

If it weren't for gossip some people would have nothing to talk about.

I think celebrity news/gossip shows and sites do disservice to celebrities. Sure they might make someone more popular, but also many fans just get overwhelmed with their pushing. Overexposure might make fans fatigued with reading about the same people everyday. Seriously, do I need to know when they go to the toilet or every time they go to Starbucks? Also, being in too many movies and commercials at the same time often backfires (Jennifer Lawrence and Anne Hathaway attracted lots of fan hatred).

With overexposure it seems their careers are flashier but also usually shorter. Most of the big 2005-2013 names in music are not as popular.

Written By: Howard on 03/07/19 at 3:11 pm

I think too much exposure can cause people to dislike that celebrity.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/07/19 at 3:14 pm

For me it is the case for with reality television readily available it is creating too many z-list celebrities, and the those celebs do not know how to handle stardom.

Written By: cowboy on 03/08/19 at 6:07 am

^^Yes, same for Instagram. ;)
In fact many of the discussions around vloggers and Instagram celebrities online are on the negative side. Usually people go on about how those celebs are just pushers of products pretending to be unique. But in my view, it's the fans' fault. They have the choice not to read/follow said celebs, right? :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/08/19 at 6:19 am

In my case, the celebs and famous people I follow are all slowly dying away.

Written By: cowboy on 03/08/19 at 6:31 am

Oh that's sad. :\'(

Written By: Howard on 03/08/19 at 7:38 am

You have YouTube, Instagram, Twitter and other apps for social media that will give people exposure.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/08/19 at 7:40 am

Oh that's sad. :\'(
A problem of growing old...

Check for new replies or respond here...