inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Article about Gen X being the forgotten generation

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/10/19 at 6:19 am

https://nypost.com/2019/03/09/generation-xs-existential-panic-after-luke-perry-death/

Luke Perry was the Gen X icon to pass away by natural causes. This article talks about how Gen X is having a mid-life crisis because we're not only getting old since the youngest of us are about 40, but also that we are forgotten as the media tends to focus heavily on Boomers and Millenials, and now Post-Millenials.

Subject: Re: Article about Gen X being the forgotten generation

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/10/19 at 6:42 am

Luke Perry died from complications after a massive stroke, I do not consider that as natural causes.

Written By: Elor on 03/10/19 at 7:05 am

So Gen X is forgotten because they don't have a US president...?
I don't get it.
No legacy?
What about all the movies, music and fashion? Doesn't count for anything?
I'm a bit baffled right now. ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/10/19 at 9:39 am

It has essentially been this way from the beginning. Where do you think the name "Generation X" came from in the first place? It's not like the Boomers were "Generation W". Right from the get go, when it was first being noticed that there was indeed a post-Boomer generation coming of age with it's own interests and habits, they were tagged as being the "nameless" generation (hence "X"), or the generation in the shadow of the Boomers, who were still casting a very large shadow at that point.

Written By: Howard on 03/10/19 at 1:55 pm

https://nypost.com/2019/03/09/generation-xs-existential-panic-after-luke-perry-death/

Luke Perry was the Gen X icon to pass away by natural causes. This article talks about how Gen X is having a mid-life crisis because we're not only getting old since the youngest of us are about 40, but also that we are forgotten as the media tends to focus heavily on Boomers and Millenials, and now Post-Millenials.

Aren't you forgetting the people over the age of 40?

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/17/19 at 7:42 pm

So Gen X is forgotten because they don't have a US president...?
I don't get it.
No legacy?
What about all the movies, music and fashion? Doesn't count for anything?
I'm a bit baffled right now. ???

I'm not saying I agree with the article, but the mid-life crisis part is true even though of course it's not unique to any generation. I remember when the Boomers were going through it probably even worse as they got married and started families at a younger age. With Gen X, it has been difficult to accept the fact that we're no longer the "cool kids" we were in the 80's and 90's, or even the 00's for the late Gen-Xers who were in our 20's during that time. But the most frustrating fact our generation is suffering is that we were the last generation that was disciplined the old fashioned way by our parents, teachers, etc.; but we cannot discipline the younger generations the same way because it’s politically incorrect, so we just let them grow up to be disrespectful and have a sense of entitlement.

Check for new replies or respond here...