inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What social media platform do you think effects culture the most today!

Written By: 1997days on 03/10/19 at 6:05 pm

I've always had this question in my mind I've always wondered out of the big social media sites like instagram, twitter, Snapchat, and Facebook which platform shapes pop culture or everyday the most in general?

Subject: Re: What social media platform do you think effects culture the most today!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/10/19 at 10:17 pm

For the early 10s, I'd say Facebook since the other three were not ubiquitously popular yet. The rest though, that would go to Twitter considering that nearly everyone tweets at least once a day and sometimes the tweet gets featured on new casts, sports, politics etc

Subject: Re: What social media platform do you think effects culture the most today!

Written By: Dundee on 03/11/19 at 3:16 am

I'll say Facebook for the first half, and Snapchat for the second half

Written By: Howard on 03/11/19 at 5:33 am

I would have to say Facebook cause of it's longevity.

Written By: 2012emo on 03/11/19 at 10:03 am

facebook if you're over 25, and ig/twitter if you're under.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 03/11/19 at 11:40 am

facebook if you're over 25, and ig/twitter if you're under.

Nah Facebook is probably more like 35 and over. I know plenty of people in their late 20's and early 30's who don't care for Facebook.

Written By: Howard on 03/12/19 at 7:15 am

Nah Facebook is probably more like 35 and over. I know plenty of people in their late 20's and early 30's who don't care for Facebook.

I'm in my 40's and I don't care one iota for Facebook at all. ::)

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/12/19 at 11:57 am

In my area people in their late 20s and early 30s use Facebook mainly to post memes. In the depends on where you live and the gender. Most people who use Facebook tends to be woman. It's the teens  that disregard Facebook in my experience.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/12/19 at 12:41 pm

Inthe00s.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: shadowcookie on 03/12/19 at 2:08 pm

Whenever I use Facebook, it’s mostly my aunts and uncles (50s/60s) who are online, mostly posting stupid ‘memes’ about how amazing the 60s and 70s were, plus the occasional shared post about there being too many foreigners.

My sister is 32 and doesn’t use it much anymore. My cousins range from 23 to 39 and none of them use it much either. Facebook demographics really do seem to skew way older these days. It was undeniably the number 1 platform when I was in school, except for MySpace early on.

It’s useful if you want to keep in touch with certain people though.

Written By: Howard on 03/12/19 at 3:03 pm

Inthe00s.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

You got a point there.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/12/19 at 4:02 pm

Twitter because even politicians are involved with it.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/12/19 at 4:16 pm

I'll say Instagram overall since it has a wide-range appeal due to it being owned by Facebook.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/19 at 1:56 am

Exactly as I was going to say, with some celebs using it too. I have noticed over the past year or so that many celebs have withdrawn their FB accounts.

Written By: 2001 on 03/13/19 at 7:56 am

Twitter's impacT! And I've been on there since 2008  8)

I would still say Facebook is the most influential though. Maybe teens don't go on it anymore, but it's still obviously by far the largest social media platform.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/19 at 8:05 am

Twitter's impacT! And I've been on there since 2008  8)
Can you get Twitter for free, for I have always thought it was through the mobile phone and paying for the service?

Written By: 2001 on 03/13/19 at 8:07 am

Can you get Twitter for free, for I have always thought it was through the mobile phone and paying for the service?

It's 100% free, you can't give them money even if you wanted to. You don't need a phone either; it was in launched in 2006 before the proliferation of mobile internet :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/19 at 8:07 am

It's 100% free, you can't give them money even if you wanted to. It was in launched in 2006 before the proliferation of mobile internet :P
I have been misinformed over the years...

Written By: 2001 on 03/13/19 at 8:09 am

I have been misinformed over the years...

There's no way a paid social network would ever get popular.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/19 at 8:09 am

I would still say Facebook is the most influential though. Maybe teens don't go on it anymore, but it's still obviously by far the largest social media platform.
I only keep my FB for communication with family abroad, it's cheaper that way.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/19 at 8:11 am

There's no way a paid social network would ever get popular.  ;D
So true!

Written By: 2001 on 03/13/19 at 8:15 am

I only keep my FB for communication with family abroad, it's cheaper that way.

Same. I only use Messenger (Facebook chat) and that's it, but even for that, I've largely switched over to WhatsApp (which is also owned by Facebook).

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/19 at 8:37 am

Same. I only use Messenger (Facebook chat) and that's it, but even for that, I've largely switched over to WhatsApp (which is also owned by Facebook).
At one stage I was considering WhatsApp, but my I.T. Guru (my son) said I do not need that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/19 at 10:52 am

Is WhatsApp used in the need to communicate?

Written By: Howard on 03/13/19 at 2:49 pm

and just about everyone else who use it for arguments.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/19 at 2:51 pm

and just about everyone else who use it for arguments.
A very famous politician in the US is constantly on Twitter, I believe.

Written By: 2001 on 03/13/19 at 3:04 pm

At one stage I was considering WhatsApp, but my I.T. Guru (my son) said I do not need that.

I find WhatsApp more convenient than Facebook Messenger since you only need the person's phone number and not their Facebook account, but if everyone you talk to is already on Facebook then Facebook is more convenient since you can access it online and on your phone (WhatsApp requires at least your phone on your person).

Written By: cowboy on 03/13/19 at 3:06 pm

Fb or Twitter
Btw, Fb and Instagram are down as we speak.  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/19 at 3:07 pm

Fb or Twitter
FB up and running here!

Written By: 2001 on 03/13/19 at 3:11 pm

Fb or Twitter

Lol that's bait. You made me clear the cobwebs on my Facebook for the first time in months. It's still running. ;D

Written By: cowboy on 03/13/19 at 3:14 pm

Maybe it's just down in my country then. But I saw some articles talking about it. ;)

Written By: Howard on 03/14/19 at 3:04 pm

If I had to put first second and third, I would put Facebook first, maybe Twitter second and Instagram third.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/15/19 at 3:11 pm

Maybe it's just down in my country then. But I saw some articles talking about it. ;)
It was reported in the press...

Facebook blames server tweak for blackout issues

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47570140

Check for new replies or respond here...