inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you agree with today's "cancel culture"? (a/k/a "artists behaving badly")

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/14/19 at 5:59 pm

Given the revelations about Michael Jackson's personal life more and more radio stations have stopped playing his music. Roseanne Barr makes offensive comments on Twitter and she is yanked from her successful TV show within seconds.  One is hard pressed to find a Woody Allen movie anymore on TV. (and he was CLEARED of all accusations!) You'd think Netflix would be full of them. Now even the innocuous Lori Loughlin is banned from the equally meaningless Hallmark Channel. Where does this end? Picasso was said to be abusive toward women. Do we systematically remove his paintings from museums? Let's face it, a lot of artists are, well, jerks. It's probably even why they were artists in the first place. In the 70s some of the decadence and excesses of rock stars were even celebrated to some degree. Do you agree with this current wholesale banishing of a musical, theatrical or visual artists or some other public figure because of their bad, questionable, offensive or illegal behavior, or can the person's work be taken separately from the person?

Subject: Re: Do you agree with today's "cancel culture"? (a/k/a "artists behaving badly")

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/14/19 at 8:23 pm

That’s what kinda happened with John Titor.  :-X

Subject: Re: Do you agree with today's "cancel culture"? (a/k/a "artists behaving badly")

Written By: 2001 on 03/14/19 at 8:38 pm

I'm only against it if it's over frivolous things, but if you're asking me to ignore child molestation or abusing women then that's gonna be a no for me bud. (Obviously you're still allowed to enjoy their work; if it's good it's good)

I was exposed to "cancel culture" earlier than most since I was a K-Pop fan in the 2000s and they had that thing down pat. News media would cite the outrage from "netizens" as early as 2007. Over there it was of a more conversative nature like chastising artists for wearing clothing that was too revealing or saying things that would be inappropriate for children to hear. It got ridiculous sometimes, but honestly, I agreed with the general gist of it. Public figures are role models for a lot of young people, and they need to start acting like it. American celebrity cultures celebrates waaaayyyy too many dumb and criminal/rotten people. And don't tell me it has no negative effect—just look at who the president is.

Check for new replies or respond here...