inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who else is sick & tired of mumble rap?!

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/16/19 at 8:24 pm

Lil Pump, 6ix9ine, and other mumble rappers are making my ears bleed. All they do is blubber about drugs, sex, etc., and yet they’re dominating the charts. -_-

I really hope this type of rap dies soon, because I’m tired of hearing this all the time since 2017!

The good news is: That 6ix9ine has arrested for a while now, and that J Cole has 1 song in the top 10 charts, but other mumble rappers just keep coming in immune. Who else wants this garbage rap to die off?

Subject: Re: Who else is sick & tired of mumble rap?!

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/16/19 at 10:50 pm

I think most of us are besides a few users.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/17/19 at 1:19 am

I think most of us are besides a few users.

Yeah. I don’t know why they’re popular by just blubbering, which is very lazy and extremely talentless.

Subject: Why is mumble rap lasting this long

Written By: 1997days on 03/17/19 at 1:23 am

When do you think that mumble rap will hit it's peak or or has it already happened.i thought by now mumble rap would be in heavy decline and while it might actually be in decline it's still peaking what?

Subject: Re: Why is mumble rap lasting this long

Written By: Dundee on 03/17/19 at 4:01 am

Why is there two threads about this

Written By: Dundee on 03/17/19 at 4:13 am

Depends on the artist tbh

People like Lil Pump and 6ix9ine are obviously awful (and thank god they seem to have lost any relevancy for the time being as even "Harverd Dropout" seems to have been ignored even in the US). But when it comes others like 21 Savage and Future who use mumbling as way to express a sort of laid-back darkness I think it works relatively well.

I also think that mumbling in Reggaeton is far worse and definitely is a trend that needs to die soon.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/17/19 at 7:47 am

What is mumble rap?  :(

Written By: 2001 on 03/17/19 at 7:55 am

Rap where the lyrics are unintelligible because of mumbling.

4NJlUribp3c

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/17/19 at 8:30 am

Well they do rap about drugs and partying, so there is that attraction.

I still prefer the classic rap, like 2Live Crew.

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/17/19 at 8:46 am

Every style Will eventually have its turn. Mumble rap may be lasted as long as rap was because its appealing with todays era.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/17/19 at 11:25 am

Depends on the artist tbh

People like Lil Pump and 6ix9ine are obviously awful (and thank god they seem to have lost any relevancy for the time being as even "Harverd Dropout" seems to have been ignored even in the US). But when it comes others like 21 Savage and Future who use mumbling as way to express a sort of laid-back darkness I think it works relatively well.

I also think that mumbling in Reggaeton is far worse and definitely is a trend that needs to die soon.

I mean- A lot by 21 Savage isn’t that bad, he raps more clearly in this song at least, and the bonus is: J Cole!  ;D He’s saving the rap game. Lil Pump- He sucks @$$. I’m glad he’s declining in popularity, but watch, he might come back -_-

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/17/19 at 11:29 am

I mean- A lot by 21 Savage isn’t that bad, he raps more clearly in this song at least, and the bonus is: J Cole!  ;D He’s saving the rap game. Lil Pump- He sucks @$$. I’m glad he’s declining in popularity, but watch, he might come back -_-

J Cole is pretty big but I don't see him in the top 10 right now.

Written By: mc98 on 03/17/19 at 11:41 am

J Cole is pretty big but I don't see him in the top 10 right now.

Middle Child by J Cole is currently at #9 right now and it peaked at #4.

Written By: JackSepton on 03/17/19 at 12:56 pm

When do you think that mumble rap will hit it's peak or or has it already happened.i thought by now mumble rap would be in heavy decline and while it might actually be in decline it's still peaking what?

how old are you?

Written By: xenzue on 03/17/19 at 1:10 pm

I actually think we have already reached the peak of the current Soundcloud rap wave.

Lil Pump, 6ix9ine, and other mumble rappers are making my ears bleed. All they do is blubber about drugs, sex, etc., and yet they’re dominating the charts. -_-

I really hope this type of rap dies soon, because I’m tired of hearing this all the time since 2017!

The good news is: That 6ix9ine has arrested for a while now, and that J Cole has 1 song in the top 10 charts, but other mumble rappers just keep coming in immune. Who else wants this garbage rap to die off?

One of J Cole's biggest songs is literally about sex... He just does it over a soul/oldschool type beat so locals think it's deep but most of his music is really not, and I doubt one single charting is any indication of a shift that's to come.

Written By: Howard on 03/17/19 at 2:26 pm

Rap where the lyrics are unintelligible because of mumbling.

4NJlUribp3c

Jesus, so this is what today's rap sounds like?  ::)

Written By: Howard on 03/17/19 at 2:27 pm

Well they do rap about drugs and partying, so there is that attraction.

I still prefer the classic rap, like 2Live Crew.

I like the rap from 1980-1985.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/17/19 at 2:56 pm

I actually think we have already reached the peak of the current Soundcloud rap wave.

One of J Cole's biggest songs is literally about sex... He just does it over a soul/oldschool type beat so locals think it's deep but most of his music is really not, and I doubt one single charting is any indication of a shift that's to come.

Yeah, mid 2018 was the peak of mumble rap, I’m glad it’s finally slowing down, but it’s still popular nonetheless, and the decline needs to accelerate, because this whole mumble rap garbage is TRASH. 8-P I mean- J Cole does talk about sex too, but at least you can hear him clearly, and he’s against mumble rap too.

Kendrick, Eminem, Drake, J. Cole, Joyner Lucas, and other lyrical rappers are saving the rap game at least (Not really sure about Drake because he also recieves criticism, but he doesn’t mumble, and he’s also a pop/R&B singer).

First wave of mumble rap (Fetty Wap, Cheif Keef, Rae Sremmurd, Future), is finally over, but the second wave (Desiigner, Lil Uzi Vert, Lil Pump, 6ix9ine) is still ongoing, but thankfully is past its peak.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/17/19 at 3:02 pm

It’s already past its peak, thank god! (Mid 2018)  ;D 6ix9ine got arrested, Lil Uzi Vert & Lil Yachty are irrelevant now, Desiigner is losing fame, and 21 Savage’s A Lot also featured J. Cole! Mumble rap has been getting criticism for a year now I think.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/17/19 at 3:05 pm

I mentioned this a lot already, but Lo-fi is infiltrating Trap & R&B, notice how the pop R&B song Sunflower sounds very Lo-fi, and 21 Savage’s A lot sounds so chill & Lo-fi.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/17/19 at 3:55 pm

Something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiNNBc557OQ

Written By: Slim95 on 03/17/19 at 3:56 pm

Seems like it's not going away. I hope it doesn't bleed into the next decade, that would be catastrophic. That would be cool if there was a trap demolition night on New Years Eve of 2019 so we can start the next decade off right.

Written By: JackSepton on 03/17/19 at 6:12 pm

you are old school Howard, you even put the 90s kids to shame

Written By: xenzue on 03/17/19 at 6:25 pm

Yeah, mid 2018 was the peak of mumble rap, I’m glad it’s finally slowing down, but it’s still popular nonetheless, and the decline needs to accelerate, because this whole mumble rap garbage is TRASH. 8-P I mean- J Cole does talk about sex too, but at least you can hear him clearly, and he’s against mumble rap too.

Kendrick, Eminem, Drake, J. Cole, Joyner Lucas, and other lyrical rappers are saving the rap game at least (Not really sure about Drake because he also recieves criticism, but he doesn’t mumble, and he’s also a pop/R&B singer).

First wave of mumble rap (Fetty Wap, Cheif Keef, Rae Sremmurd, Future), is finally over, but the second wave (Desiigner, Lil Uzi Vert, Lil Pump, 6ix9ine) is still ongoing, but thankfully is past its peak.

Desiigner????? Ongoing???

Written By: 2001 on 03/17/19 at 6:29 pm

Jesus, so this is what today's rap sounds like?  ::)

A lot of it, yeah. There's good stuff too though like Childish Gambino and Kendrick Lamar.

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/17/19 at 6:50 pm

Middle Child by J Cole is currently at #9 right now and it peaked at #4.

You're right. I missed that when I was looking through the chart.

Written By: Dundee on 03/17/19 at 7:13 pm

notice how the pop R&B song Sunflower sounds very Lo-fi
Not really. Lo-Fi means rough and cheaply produced (Low-Fidelity), and "Sunflower" is the complete opposite of that with its very polished and slick production. Here is an example of what the closest to "Lo-fi R&B" would actually sound like:

Aof3vZ8NGuE

Yes, the quality is crap but it's on purpose. Welcome to underground music

Written By: Slim95 on 03/17/19 at 7:21 pm

Lofi isn't even a new genre. It's been around and popular on YouTube for quite a while now.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/17/19 at 7:43 pm

Seems like it's not going away. I hope it doesn't bleed into the next decade, that would be catastrophic. That would be cool if there was a trap demolition night on New Years Eve of 2019 so we can start the next decade off right.

The trap beat would’ve been considered ‘melodic’ or ‘rhythmic’ if it weren’t for these a-hole mumble rappers, a mumble rap demolition night would be awesome as well!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/18/19 at 5:29 am

I know, it's a genre I grew up with. Today's rap doesn't interest me at all.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/18/19 at 5:40 am

I liked the early 80’s rap,  but my favorite is the late 80’s and early 90’s stuff when it was pure gangster. 2Live Crew’s “Nasty as They Want to Be” and NWA’s “Straight Outta Compton”.

Those guys rapped about life on the streets and they lived the life. Kept it real.

Nowadays you have these wimps who rap on about sipping cough syrup out of a double cup, and pining after some chick named Shorty.  ::)

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/18/19 at 10:07 am

It’s already past its peak, thank god! (Mid 2018)  ;D 6ix9ine got arrested, Lil Uzi Vert & Lil Yachty are irrelevant now, Desiigner is losing fame, and 21 Savage’s A Lot also featured J. Cole! Mumble rap has been getting criticism for a year now I think.
I wouldn't say Yacthy is irrelevant but he hasn't got much attention since mid 2018 with X dying and the 6ix9ine phase. Yacthy is more focused on being a brand and lil uzi pretty much faded since late 2017.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/19 at 2:12 am

I think I am in an honoured position of never heard or heard off mumble rap and how it is described here I am going to keep it that way.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/20/19 at 2:24 am

I think I am in an honoured position of never heard or heard off mumble rap and how it is described here I am going to keep it that way.

Consider yourself lucky.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/19 at 2:29 am

Consider yourself lucky.
O0

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/20/19 at 8:29 am

Congrats!  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/19 at 9:00 am

Congrats!  ;)
Thank you, and very much appreciated from you.

Check for new replies or respond here...