inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: something you guys seem to forget about the early 2010s

Written By: JackSepton on 03/17/19 at 1:03 pm

is that its officially 6 years ago since that era ended
during the autumn of 2011 i used to borrow my grandfathers red Hyunda car (because my car was broken at the time) and i used to drive to some big parking lot at some big field and surf on the 90s kid debate topics via my Sony Ericsson C510 (this was before the little mid 90s born Gen Zers complicated the topic over at PerC in the mid 2010s)
https://mobilarena.hu/dl/cnt/2009-04/2960/se_c510_n3.jpg
and listen to this song
ksgLgTVYv7M

Subject: Re: something you guys seem to forget about the early 2010s

Written By: 2001 on 03/17/19 at 1:15 pm

I find more people act like no one had a smartphone until 2012 actually ;D

When I was in high school in 2009/2010, it was no longer a huge deal if you had a smartphone. Everyone was talking about getting one if they didn't already have one.

Written By: JackSepton on 03/17/19 at 1:17 pm

When I was in high school in 2009/2010, it was no longer a huge deal if you had a smartphone. Everyone was talking about getting one if they didn't already have one.

yes but i wasnt in high school during that period lol im not Gen Z like you

Written By: 2001 on 03/17/19 at 1:21 pm

yes but i wasnt in high school during that period lol im not Gen Z like you

Older people were scared of smartphones at first. I think the iPad eased them into it. I know my parents didn't get smartphones until 2013/2014 because they thought smartphones were too nerdy/advanced, but I think if you take Boomers out of the equation, you'll find really high adoption rates of smartphones among Millennials in the early 2010s.

Written By: JackSepton on 03/17/19 at 1:22 pm

Older people were scared of smartphones at first. I think the iPad eased them into it. I know my parents didn't get smartphones until 2013/2014 because they thought smartphones were too nerdy/advanced, but I think if you take Boomers out of the equation, you'll find really high adoption rates of smartphones among Millennials in the early 2010s.

i bought my first one in 2012

Written By: 2001 on 03/17/19 at 1:29 pm

I got mine in September 2010.  8)

That makes me Gen Z since I had a smartphone as a teen ;D

Written By: shadowcookie on 03/17/19 at 1:33 pm

In 2011, 68% of Canadian 14-17 year olds had a feature phone, 32% had a smartphone. That figure is obviously big enough to not be a huge deal anymore but nevertheless it was very much not the norm for Canadian teenagers to have a smartphone before 2012.

Obviously things will vary depending on where exactly you live, your socioeconomic status etc but that’s the general picture.

Smartphone ownership rates were higher for 18-45 year olds, and I suspect that’s because 14-17 year olds typically can’t pay for their own phones whereas over 18s can. If your parents won’t buy you a smartphone then you aren’t getting one. Far fewer parents bought their teenage kids smartphones in the early 2010s than they do now.

My mum is 53 and she had a smartphone before me.

Written By: 2001 on 03/17/19 at 1:39 pm

In 2011, 68% of Canadian 14-17 year olds had a feature phone, 32% had a smartphone. That figure is obviously big enough to not be a huge deal anymore but nevertheless it was very much not the norm for Canadian teenagers to have a smartphone before 2012.

Smartphone ownership rates were higher for 18-45 year olds - and I suspect that’s because 14-17 year olds typically can’t pay for their own phones whereas over 18s can. If your parents won’t buy you a smartphone then you aren’t getting one.

My mum is 53 and she had a smartphone before me.

I didn't say the majority of people had a smartphone, I just said it wasn't a huge deal.

Going by memory, I would say 1 out of 6 or 1 out of 5 had a smartphone by the time I graduated in spring 2010. That was a huge leap from the previous year when only 2 or 3 kids in my entire grade of ~400 people had an iPhone (the only real smartphone at the time). Back then people would crowd around you to get a chance to get a peak at your phone. In late 2009/2010 it felt like every week someone new was getting a smartphone, and it wasn't special anymore to own one.

Written By: JackSepton on 03/17/19 at 1:50 pm

I didn't say the majority of people had a smartphone, I just said it wasn't a huge deal.

Going by memory, I would say 1 out of 6 or 1 out of 5 had a smartphone by the time I graduated in spring 2010. That was a huge leap from the previous year when only 2 or 3 kids in my entire grade of ~400 people had an iPhone (the only real smartphone at the time). Back then people would crowd around you to get a chance to get a peak at your phone. In late 2009/2010 it felt like every week someone new was getting a smartphone, and it wasn't special anymore to own one.

2011 was the year that most people in the west got smartphones though, im guessing you are from a high tech country in east asia

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/17/19 at 3:12 pm

2011-Early 2013 was like the extension for the Electropop era pretty much. Who else remembers when Ray William Johnson and Smosh dominated YouTube? -sigh- good times  :)

Written By: Slim95 on 03/17/19 at 3:47 pm

I got my first smartphone in November of 2012 and it was the Samsung Galaxy S3. But I knew I was late to the game, it seemed like most people in my high school already had smartphones especially IPhones. I agree with Slowpoke it was common and wasn't a big deal in 2011. In 2010, it would have been a little bit of a bigger deal I guess because Blackberries and slider phones were still cool and the most common and smartphones were still something of luxury at that time. But 2011 was definitely when smartphones became the norm everywhere.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/17/19 at 3:49 pm

I did as well but my mom helped with the money.

Written By: shadowcookie on 03/17/19 at 3:53 pm

I got my first smartphone in November of 2012 and it was the Samsung Galaxy S3. But I knew I was late to the game, it seemed like most people in my high school already had smartphones especially IPhones. I agree with Slowpoke it was common and wasn't a big deal in 2011. In 2010, it would have been a little bit of a bigger deal I guess because Blackberries and slider phones were still cool and the most common and smartphones were still something of luxury at that time. But 2011 was definitely when smartphones became the norm everywhere.

I’ve already stated a million times that smartphones were not the norm everywhere in 2011 and have even provided statistics to back that up. This isn’t a subject of debate but a fact that is easy to verify via a quick Google search.

I have no idea why this is so hard to understand.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ctd0CJYkKfc/TfokEl1mjsI/AAAAAAAAXJY/E-XfTD0NSwE/s1600/128242.gif

Written By: JackSepton on 03/17/19 at 4:01 pm

2011-Early 2013 was like the extension for the Electropop era pretty much. Who else remembers when Ray William Johnson and Smosh dominated YouTube? -sigh- good times  :)

i certainly dont considering it was so long ago

Written By: Jaydawg89 on 03/17/19 at 5:05 pm

I would say that smartphones became very common around 2010/2011, I remember so many people got one, I first got one around Christmas 2010.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/17/19 at 7:18 pm

I’ve already stated a million times that smartphones were not the norm everywhere in 2011 and have even provided statistics to back that up. This isn’t a subject of debate but a fact that is easy to verify via a quick Google search.

I have no idea why this is so hard to understand.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ctd0CJYkKfc/TfokEl1mjsI/AAAAAAAAXJY/E-XfTD0NSwE/s1600/128242.gif

I trust my memories more than a bunch of numbers on a start. Statistics don't paint the whole picture.

Written By: shadowcookie on 03/17/19 at 7:25 pm

I trust my memories more than a bunch of numbers on a start. Statistics don't paint the whole picture.

Believe what you want, but you’re wrong and that’s all there is to it.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/17/19 at 7:26 pm

A year really doesn't make much difference in the grand scheme of things. In 2010 there were even less smartphones than 2011. What one considers "the norm" does not have to mean a majority of people using it. Just that it's around everywhere noticably.

Written By: Dundee on 03/17/19 at 7:41 pm

What one considers "the norm" does not have to mean a majority of people using it.
Well, then they're simply incorrectly using the term "norm" in that case

Written By: Dundee on 03/17/19 at 7:54 pm

And tbh, what I remember most people had in the early 2010s were those touchscreen, not-so-smartphones that were a little more advanced than basic feature phones when it comes to stuff like surfing on the internet, but still more on the affordable side. Not to mention stuff like widgets and bluetooth sharing still being very widespread.

https://www.maxbhi.com/images/thumbnails/769/769/detailed/661/housing-for-lg-cookie-chat-wi-fi-aqua-blue-maxbhi-9-1-1.jpg

Basically a transition from the 2000s to the rest of the '10s ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Written By: Slim95 on 03/17/19 at 8:33 pm

Well, then they're simply incorrectly using the term "norm" in that case

No, because for example if someone would say what is the "norm" for transportation in the Netherlands or Denmark people would say "cycling", even if technically only 30% of people cycle. That is not a majority, but still the "norm" in terms of transport there especially when you compare it to other places. So using this analogy, smartphones could have still been considered the norm back then and it also depends what city you live in... That chart shows nation-wide, many people live in rural areas who aren't as into the new trends so that can play a role to the statistics too. There is lots to consider. Statistics only tell half the story.

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/17/19 at 9:09 pm

is that its officially 6 years ago since that era ended
during the autumn of 2011 i used to borrow my grandfathers red Hyunda car (because my car was broken at the time) and i used to drive to some big parking lot at some big field and surf on the 90s kid debate topics via my Sony Ericsson C510 (this was before the little mid 90s born Gen Zers complicated the topic over at PerC in the mid 2010s)
https://mobilarena.hu/dl/cnt/2009-04/2960/se_c510_n3.jpg
and listen to this song
ksgLgTVYv7M

You're here to school us on the early part of the 2010's? If you were obsessing over who or what a nineties kid was it sounds like you really misspent your youth. Not unlike the way you're wasting time with your opinions on who or what Gen Z is. What does any of that have to do with the evolution of phones?

Written By: mc98 on 03/17/19 at 9:59 pm

The smartphone age probably started in 2011. When I entered 7th grade in 2011, 75% of my class had a smartphone, including me.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/18/19 at 12:02 pm

Depends on what you consider a "smartphone."

Written By: cowboy on 03/18/19 at 1:35 pm

I got my first smartphone, the original Samsung Galaxy S in 2010 or 2011 (not sure of the actual year). I cross-shopped it with the Sony Xperia X10. As a 1988 born probably that was quite forward thinking?

Written By: Slim95 on 03/18/19 at 1:41 pm

I only got my first cell phone in 2011 and it was a Samsung Intensity slider phone. I thought it was so cool at the time. But I was very late in the game as I was 16 years old but I didn't mind I was able to entertain myself without a phone and in fact I am quite happy now that I was a kid without a cell phone.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/19/19 at 9:17 am

Despite Flip phones & Candybar phones were still the standard in 2010-12, I’d say the Smartphone era started in Mid 2010, when the iPhone 4 was released, and that’s when smartphones became more mainstream. My dad got one when it first came out  ;)

Written By: fgbn on 03/19/19 at 9:25 am

Despite Flip phones & Candybar phones were still the standard in 2010-12, I’d say the Smartphone era started in Mid 2010, when the iPhone 4 was released, and that’s when smartphones became more mainstream. My dad got one when it first came out  ;)

smartphones didnt become common until 2011 over here, and i live in a western european country

Check for new replies or respond here...