inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2019 fashion for young people: mix of mid 90s, late 90s and early 00s?

Written By: 90s Guy on 03/25/19 at 1:10 am

Was observing people in their teens and early 20s in my travels and I made a few notes:

-Women's fashion seems very mid 90s/grunge still (high waisted jeans, ripped jeans), mixed with leggings and sometimes I even see flannel. Medium length to long hair popular though no particular outstanding styles. The "fun bun" as I call it doesn't seem as big with younger women as it is with women say above 25. However, I have noticed nose niercings are much more popular with 18-24 year old females than they were when I was 18-24 (2008-2014). Women who wear jeans wear them in very mid 90s colors, and I see as spring arrives, denim jackets on a lot of women.

-Men's fashion seems to be inspired by the casual yet preppy late 90s/early 2000s look, like, I saw a whole crew of late teens and the guys looked like they could've stepped out of 1998. Hair cuts for the most part seem to be fades or very short; I even saw a modenized version of the curtained style albeit not as 90s. On a rare occasion, I see a guy with a ponytail, but that's very rare; and beards seem contained more to guys in my age group (late 20s). Men wear jeans, but also wear sweat pants and sweat shorts just as much, I would say at a 1:1 ratio, but men's jeans tend to go darker than women's.

Do any of my observations jibe with your own?

Subject: Re: 2019 fashion for young people: mix of mid 90s, late 90s and early 00s?

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/25/19 at 1:37 am

Was observing people in their teens and early 20s in my travels and I made a few notes:

-Women's fashion seems very mid 90s/grunge still (high waisted jeans, ripped jeans), mixed with leggings and sometimes I even see flannel. Medium length to long hair popular though no particular outstanding styles. The "fun bun" as I call it doesn't seem as big with younger women as it is with women say above 25. However, I have noticed nose niercings are much more popular with 18-24 year old females than they were when I was 18-24 (2008-2014). Women who wear jeans wear them in very mid 90s colors, and I see as spring arrives, denim jackets on a lot of women.

-Men's fashion seems to be inspired by the casual yet preppy late 90s/early 2000s look, like, I saw a whole crew of late teens and the guys looked like they could've stepped out of 1998. Hair cuts for the most part seem to be fades or very short; I even saw a modenized version of the curtained style albeit not as 90s. On a rare occasion, I see a guy with a ponytail, but that's very rare; and beards seem contained more to guys in my age group (late 20s). Men wear jeans, but also wear sweat pants and sweat shorts just as much, I would say at a 1:1 ratio, but men's jeans tend to go darker than women's.

Do any of my observations vibe with your own?

Yes. Women's fashion today, with ripped Jeans and tops, it was carried from the mid 90s grunge look, and the leggings are inspired by the late 90s teen pop fashion. Flannel had a mid 90s look to it, and fuzzy sweaters and tops are somewhat Y2K-ish, if we're talking about the colorful ones, but the black and white fashion are mainly 2000s, simple.

For men, same with flannel, mid 90s. But there's an ongoing trend with the white long sleeves, which sounds minimalist and simple, but I've seen some people wear it in some Y2K teen pop videos. The black pants, are inspired by mid 90s grunge, but has been here for a while now. Gradient sweaters, can vary, if we talk dark-tone, mid 90s, but if we talk colorful, Y2K. With shorts, it's kinda redundant because the colors have been the same for years.

Subject: Re: 2019 fashion for young people: mix of mid 90s, late 90s and early 00s?

Written By: 2001 on 03/25/19 at 4:20 am

A lot of people espeically women look like they stepped right out of 1999.

I had kind of forgotten  how people used to dress pre-Avril Lavigne, so walking outside can be a real refresher down memory lane. ;D

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/25/19 at 8:02 am

Yeah, fashion nowadays is VERY influenced by the Late 90s, along with some influences from the 70s with bell bottoms & floral prints being big with girls and turtle necks & more muted sweaters for guys, 80s especially as it pertains to accessories like gold necklaces, and some early 00s influences with joggers in the Late 2010s having a sort of faux 'baggy' look to them not without mentioning streetwear being pretty prominent with Gen Z.

Check for new replies or respond here...