inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hottest programming languages today?

Written By: cowboy on 03/27/19 at 1:02 pm

Do you agree with the link below? I plan to take coding as I want to change my career (currently I've done stints as a finance clerk). I'm set on learning JavaScript and PHP. Are they still useful? :)

https://www.pentasia.com/news/view,cutting-edge-the-15-hottest-programming-languages-right-now_9127.htm

I think most jobs now are in IT and those in accounting and finance will get replaced with automation.
Edit: This graph:
https://blogs.bmc.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/programming-languages-trending.png

Subject: Re: Hottest programming languages today?

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/27/19 at 6:42 pm

I’m a student of the ancient languages. Extremely proficient in Fortran, Assembler Language, and PL/1. But i can hold my own with Visual Basic and have developed dozens of applications as a super user that the IT Department would never dream of doing.

Back in the day i earned the ire of the IT department when I started launching off multi-threaded jobs via PL/1 on our IBM system/390. REALLY honked them off.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/19 at 8:05 pm

Do not learn PHP unless you hate life. It's what I first learnt when I started self-learning how to program in 2014/2015 (wow... feels like a lifetime ago). It's a very disorganized language.  8-P But who knows, you might like it.

After PHP I learnt Python, which is now my "native language". I've spent thousands of hours programming in it and it's a joy. I use Python in my job (data engineer). Mind you, this isn't going to be true for everyone, not everyone loves Python. I notice the second or third programming language someone learns is the one they love most ;D

After Python, I learnt JavaScript. It's a very useful language if you want to get into the Web development and web scripting side of things, but it's very versatile and powerful and allows you to do basically anything nowadays.

After JavaScript, I'm now learning C/C++. I have no clue why I'm learning it, it's basically as close as you can get to machine code while still being understandable to humans ;D But they're fascinating languages to learn if you're interested in how computers work.

I really want to learn a functional programming language like Haskell, only because people talk about how difficult it is, and I love a challenge!

HTML, CSS and SQL are not programming languages per se, but I am somewhat proficient in those too.

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/19 at 8:23 pm

I’m a student of the ancient languages. Extremely proficient in Fortran, Assembler Language, and PL/1. But i can hold my own with Visual Basic and have developed dozens of applications as a super user that the IT Department would never dream of doing.

Back in the day i earned the ire of the IT department when I started launching off multi-threaded jobs via PL/1 on our IBM system/390. REALLY honked them off.  ;D

Oh my god, they made me learn FORTRAN in my freshman year in university. I dropped that course for it to only be replaced by something more modern and even worse the next semester... Matlab  8-P

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/27/19 at 9:59 pm

I'm a Software Engineer developer and have been a long time.  Today I use a combination of C++ and VBA, but not all of my peers use these.  Many of my colleagues use C++ or C#; some also use combinations of Java, Python, and various other languages; some even still use Ada (which I used years ago).

I have this to say about languages.  Within reason, learn what makes sense while you're a student.  I also do recommend learning more than one language.  You'll find that when you're actually working, you might be called on to use a different language than what you learned in school - and if needed you get to learn it on the job.  The best scenario is that we keep learning, even after school is done.

Written By: cowboy on 03/28/19 at 1:38 pm

I started with HTML and CSS back in 2012. I need some brushing up but the basics are there (save for some HTML5 specifics). Now I am self-studying JavaScript. I'm afraid I'm too old at 30 going on 31 though.  :\'( My dad's a naysayer, to him it's too late to go into IT. But I hate doing clerical financial or accounting jobs. The market for web devs here (Eastern Europe) is booming and I like making websites so much. It's like going back to where I started. :)

Written By: mqg96 on 03/28/19 at 2:02 pm

I'm Computer Engineering and according to my professors Python, Java, and C++ are the most important programming languages for us to learn. A lot of people in the engineering workforce have said that the biggest problem with a lot of engineer graduates (whether they are software/computer science or not) is that many of them don't having coding and programming skills. I'm trying to get much better at that the next two years. Today I just found out about this site called codeacademy, where you can get a lot of skills in all of those important gems. Anyone ever heard of MATLAB too?

Written By: Dundee on 03/28/19 at 2:23 pm

I took a few programming classes back in high school because I thought it looked fun to do so.... Needless to say, mass respect to anyone who can seemlessly juggle with those languages ;D

Written By: cowboy on 03/28/19 at 2:40 pm

^^Well they're more logical than French.

Written By: 2001 on 03/28/19 at 3:15 pm

Hmm I'm learning French and C++ at the moment and I'm not sure which I find more difficult. ;D

Written By: 2001 on 03/28/19 at 3:20 pm

I'm Computer Engineering and according to my professors Python, Java, and C++ are the most important programming languages for us to learn. A lot of people in the engineering workforce have said that the biggest problem with a lot of engineer graduates (whether they are software/computer science or not) is that many of them don't having coding and programming skills. I'm trying to get much better at that the next two years. Today I just found out about this site called codeacademy, where you can get a lot of skills in all of those important gems. Anyone ever heard of MATLAB too?

Yes, I have a BSc in Physics and I was taught MATLAB for statistical modelling. I HATE that program. I use Python exclusively at my job.

And yes, in my experience schools are terrible at teaching programming. The best programmers I've met have been self-taught from one extent or another. Honestly you have to program for fun and not just for a job, that's how you get good at it. That's how I started out and I got a job before I even graduated from school.

Written By: cowboy on 03/28/19 at 3:29 pm

Hmm I'm learning French and C++ at the moment and I'm not sure which I find more difficult. ;D

Well C++ is like very hard. I was talking more about JavaScript. :)

Written By: 2001 on 03/28/19 at 3:35 pm

I started with HTML and CSS back in 2012. I need some brushing up but the basics are there (save for some HTML5 specifics). Now I am self-studying JavaScript. I'm afraid I'm too old at 30 going on 31 though.  :\'( My dad's a naysayer, to him it's too late to go into IT. But I hate doing clerical financial or accounting jobs. The market for web devs here (Eastern Europe) is booming and I like making websites so much. It's like going back to where I started. :)

There's a severe shortage of qualified developers. You could be 50 and get a job, that's honestly how bad it is. Just git gud and job offers will come to you.

Don't listen to your dad. That's exactly what my dad told me back in 2007 when I told him I loved computers. He said everyone's going into IT and everyone will be unemployed. SMH. Could have saved myself a lot time.  8-P

Written By: Dundee on 03/28/19 at 7:26 pm

Heureusement que je le parle déjà alors ^^

Written By: cowboy on 03/30/19 at 2:00 am

There's a severe shortage of qualified developers. You could be 50 and get a job, that's honestly how bad it is. Just git gud and job offers will come to you.

Don't listen to your dad. That's exactly what my dad told me back in 2007 when I told him I loved computers. He said everyone's going into IT and everyone will be unemployed. SMH. Could have saved myself a lot time.  8-P

So I guess it's not too late to (re)start at 30 then? I looked at JavaScript and it doesn't look scary like, say, C++. ;D It would also be logical to follow HTML and CSS with JS anyway. What would be the next step though? Java? PHP? Python (did some very basic in my uni)? PHP seems to be losing ground, for C++ I'm not surprised one bit! JS is stable. PHP and Java seem declining, maybe it's good I didn't waste time with that PHP book and sold it? I put this graph in my OP as well.
https://blogs.bmc.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/programming-languages-trending.png

I'll put it like that - if I had the chance to choose to be an average coder or a great acountant, I'd chose the first. I just enjoy looking at, writing and debugging HTML and CSS rather than doing accounting reconciliations (I know HTML's not a programming languages but it follows a similar pattern and logic and JS looks nice as well so far). ;D It's what I did as a teen anyway for pure fun. What got in the way was, ironically, Internet addiction to social media and forums (looking back I wish I was addicted to coder boards rather than pop forums like PJ and IMDb).

Written By: 2001 on 03/30/19 at 4:26 am

So I guess it's not too late to (re)start at 30 then? I looked at JavaScript and it doesn't look scary like, say, C++. ;D It would also be logical to follow HTML and CSS with JS anyway. What would be the next step though? Java? PHP? Python (did some very basic in my uni)? PHP seems to be losing ground, for C++ I'm not surprised one bit! JS is stable. PHP and Java seem declining, maybe it's good I didn't waste time with that PHP book and sold it? I put this graph in my OP as well.

I'll put it like that - if I had the chance to choose to be an average coder or a great acountant, I'd chose the first. I just enjoy looking at, writing and debugging HTML and CSS rather than doing accounting reconciliations (I know HTML's not a programming languages but it follows a similar pattern and logic and JS looks nice as well so far). ;D It's what I did as a teen anyway for pure fun. What got in the way was, ironically, Internet addiction to social media and forums (looking back I wish I was addicted to coder boards rather than pop forums like PJ and IMDb).

I'm not sure if relative number of Google searches is the best way to measure popularity, but the ranking sounds about right for 2019.

I strongly doubt JS will be gone in 10 years time. It's one of the most popular languages right now and every website runs on it, so it's definitely here to stya. Sounds to me like you want to be a web developer, which in that case JS is essential.  :)

Written By: cowboy on 03/30/19 at 4:48 am

Great as JS seems clean/streamlined enough to me so far. I might also take a Python crash course. I did some Python commands for a robot at my uni. Time to put it in my resume somehow. Turns out I've got some geek cred after all but all those accounting tables made me block it all out of memory. ;)

I avoided getting more into tech as I always thought you have to be great at calculus which I'm not. Turns out logical thinking is far more important. My logical thinking developed suddenly in my 20s. ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 04/01/19 at 11:57 am

This is a little off topic, but anyone else into Circuits Analysis or Digital Logic/Systems Design too? It's NOT my favorite, but it can be very useful down the road depending on what your job is.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/01/19 at 6:22 pm

Yes, I have a BSc in Physics and I was taught MATLAB for statistical modelling. I HATE that program. I use Python exclusively at my job.

And yes, in my experience schools are terrible at teaching programming. The best programmers I've met have been self-taught from one extent or another. Honestly you have to program for fun and not just for a job, that's how you get good at it. That's how I started out and I got a job before I even graduated from school.

Physics can be challenging man, but it's good stuff once you become good at it. Physics is universal to all types of engineering topics (pick and choose). That's why all engineer majors have to take it. A lot of Mechanical and Electrical topics are in there, including Thermodynamics, Magnetism and Light topics. All the Electrical topics are easy for me, and you can guess why.  ;D

Written By: cowboy on 04/02/19 at 11:06 am

I like programming (well writing HTML and CSS so far which is not true programming).  I hate statistics so I hated using SPSS.  :D

Written By: mqg96 on 04/02/19 at 7:04 pm

I like programming (well writing HTML and CSS so far which is not true programming).  I hate statistics so I hated using SPSS.  :D

I took AP Stats in high school, and yeah, that was a different type of math. Statistics is NOT your usual math. It's data analysis & probability with paragraph long explanations.

Subject: Hottest programming languages today?

Written By: Dude111 on 04/03/19 at 2:50 am

Im the best in BASIC :)

I have a commodore64 and I have written some pretty good programs!!!

GW BASIC is basically the same on a computer here

www.eddiesegoura.com/Games/GWBASIC.EXE

OPENS IN DOS.........

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/03/19 at 5:27 am

I cut my statistical teeth using Minitab.  8)

u0cI2Pp6ah8

Written By: mqg96 on 07/02/19 at 12:24 pm

What do y'all think of this site?

https://www.sololearn.com/Courses/

Written By: 2001 on 07/02/19 at 12:48 pm

What do y'all think of this site?

https://www.sololearn.com/Courses/

Hmm, it says I have to sign up.

But if you're interested then websites like Lynda, Team Treehouse and Udemy are definitely worth the money if you're willing to put in the time IMO.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/02/19 at 1:27 pm

Hmm, it says I have to sign up.

But if you're interested then websites like Lynda, Team Treehouse and Udemy are definitely worth the money if you're willing to put in the time IMO.

I just signed up with my already existing google account and I'm find.

Written By: rapplepop on 07/02/19 at 1:58 pm

Not a programming language per se, but Linux becomes more and more popular every year.  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...