inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was the general vibe of 2010

Written By: thisismelemon on 03/30/19 at 4:32 pm

Did 2010 feel like the 2010's or was it too early

Subject: Re: What was the general vibe of 2010

Written By: 2001 on 03/30/19 at 4:45 pm

I don't know if you're asking because you were too young, but yes, it felt 2010s. At the very least, if felt nothing like the 2000s. We had smartphones, Obama, the Recession, hipsters, Facebook, and electronic music. The 2010s were very changeful though from beginning to end, so while 2010 might not feel like 2019, the year is absolutely essential to the overall story arch of this decade.

Written By: mc98 on 03/30/19 at 5:06 pm

2010 felt like the 2010s, I don't know how anyone could call this year a culturally late 2000s year. Sure, there were leftovers from the late 2000s but many trends from that time are no longer popular by 2010. MySpace was dead, Emo was no longer a thing, Obama in the office, Electro replacing urban-influenced music. The 2000s was on it's way out since late 2009.

Take a look at these two Chris Brown songs from both eras. Forever has a Timbaland-esque beat with Synthpop while Yeah 3x is pure electronica.

5sMKX22BHeE

3mC2ixOAivA

Written By: thisismelemon on 03/30/19 at 8:05 pm

I don't know if you're asking because you were too young, but yes, it felt 2010s. At the very least, if felt nothing like the 2000s. We had smartphones, Obama, the Recession, hipsters, Facebook, and electronic music. The 2010s were very changeful though from beginning to end, so while 2010 might not feel like 2019, the year is absolutely essential to the overall story arch of this decade.

No i remember 2010 personally , i just want to know other peoples opinions on 2010 because i find 2010 is one of the least spoken about years and it was one of my favorite  years of this decade

Written By: Slim95 on 03/31/19 at 3:54 am

It felt very 2010s. Looking back at it now it feels like yesterday even if it was 9 years ago. It was a classic 2010s year. I didn't really like 2010 very much but there were a few good moments from that year. I think the music was awful though, same as the fashion and general pop culture and the economy wasn't great either. It felt dark and depressing deep down but tried to mask itself as upbeat, which just ended up feeling fake. Everyone knew there was nothing to celebrate, people were losing their jobs and stuff so the upbeat songs felt forced, fake/artificial, and did not match with what the vibe really was in 2010.

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/31/19 at 8:21 am

2010 had a gloomy aesthetic but it wasn't inherently depressing. It just had a more heartbreak sense to it, still unusually fun. The fun of 2010 would mostly peak at night, party hours.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/31/19 at 8:49 am

Ke$ha owned 2010.

QR_qa3Ohwls

Written By: shadowcookie on 03/31/19 at 10:53 am

The economy obviously sucked but as a 15 year old I didn’t really care. Nobody in my family lost their job. I liked 2010, especially the music, and it’s starting to feel pretty distant now. I’m actually listening to 2010 songs and feeling a strange sense of nostalgia for my teen days, which is something I thought I’d never say.

On balance, despite a better economy today, I think the UK is worse off now than it was 9 years ago. The general atmosphere is terrible, public discourse has declined significantly, the country is hopelessly divided and weary after almost a decade of austerity. I’d happily turn back the clock to 2010.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/31/19 at 3:05 pm

The economy was bad, because of the Great Recession, and people getting laid off or becoming homeless. Because of this, suicidal rates also increased, and lots of stores and companies were shutting down.

The bright side in my opinion is: The Culture, you had electropop artists like Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Katy Perry, and a lot of other artists bringing that aggressive synth sound, it's soo fun!  :D Just like Disco, electropop served as an escape from economic problems, as most songs were all about partying, with DJ Got Us Fallin in Love, Dynamite, Tik Tok (2009), and lots more! Rap music was far better, you had rappers like Travie McCoy, Eminem, Nicki Minaj, and Kanye West. Pop music was HEAVILY dominated by Rihanna, Katy Perry, Bruno Mars, etc. Besides music, TV was also fun, you had the Office, Breaking Bad, and the Big Bang theory being very popular, and for children like me in 2010, there was Phineas and Ferb and Spongebob being popular. YouTubers like Ray William Johnson, Ryan Higa, Fred, and Smosh were popular, while Pewdiepie was only at 1K back then. Movies were also awesome, Toy Story 3, Despicable Me, Percy Jackson, Tangled, and Iron Man 2 were popular. Smartphones entered the mainstream with the release of the iPhone 4, despite flip phones still being used, and in social media, Facebook and Twitter were still dominant, and Instagram and Snapchat were only in development stage, and the overall feeling of the internet felt skeuomorphic and 3D. Games like Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, and Black Ops 1 were dominant, but besides just COD, Minecraft was slowly becoming popular, Angry Birds was dominant with phones, and games like League of Legends, World of Warcraft, and GTA 4 were also popular.

Politics wise, Obama was still president of the United States, and Stephen Harper was still the Prime Minister of Canada.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/31/19 at 3:08 pm

To keep things simple, it was depressing for people getting laid off, but it was also happy with pop culture, which helped a lot of people feel better.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/31/19 at 3:56 pm

To keep things simple, it was depressing for people getting laid off, but it was also happy with pop culture, which helped a lot of people feel better.

The pop culture was bad though. The music was repetitive and all the songs sounded the same it was terrible. Let's not forget the constant autotune in songs. Music was horrible in 2010.

Written By: fgbn on 03/31/19 at 5:06 pm

like 2011 just more unpolished

Written By: shadowcookie on 03/31/19 at 6:29 pm

The pop culture was bad though. The music was repetitive and all the songs sounded the same it was terrible. Let's not forget the constant autotune in songs. Music was horrible in 2010.

In your opinion, of course. After all, pop culture is entirely subjective and there is no right or wrong answer.

Right?  ;)

I remember not really liking pop culture at the time but in retrospect I appreciate it. I definitely prefer it to current pop culture in any case. I strongly associate that music with being in high school and although high school wasn’t always good, there are still a lot of good memories linked with the pop culture at the time. Personally, I’m happy I can look back to my teen years and find music that I loved, instead of just thinking ‘I hated it!!!’.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/31/19 at 8:44 pm

I remember not really liking pop culture at the time but in retrospect I appreciate it. I definitely prefer it to current pop culture in any case. I strongly associate that music with being in high school and although high school wasn’t always good, there are still a lot of good memories linked with the pop culture at the time. Personally, I’m happy I can look back to my teen years and find music that I loved, instead of just thinking ‘I hated it!!!’.

I hated it back then and I still hate it now. Compared to today, I would say it is probably equally bad to be honest. 2012 was the worst. Early and late 2010s for pop culture were pretty terrible overall. The exception is 2013 - first half of 2017, during this period the radio was at least listenable, and pop culture wasn't bad.

I guess the thing that bothers me is lack of diversity in the charts. That's probably why I hate both the early and late 2010s because of the lack of diverse music. Every song sounds the same. In the early 2010s, every song sounded the same with autotuned electropop. In the late 2010s, every song sound the same with trap/EDM. I hate eras with no diversity in the music. That's why I don't mind 2013 - early 2017 because music and pop culture was still diverse thanks to the hipster trend so you had a variety of songs with different genres that were popular and trends that were interesting but not forced at the same time. There was more substance. The early 2010s was generic and bland and very boring, kind of like today.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/31/19 at 8:50 pm

5sMKX22BHeE
3mC2ixOAivA

Those two songs sound like they are part of the same era to me. They sound similar in sound. But his song "With You" sounds noticeably  different.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 04/01/19 at 8:50 am

Everyone has their own opinions  ;) I hope the 2020s will be even better

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/01/19 at 3:02 pm

The economy obviously sucked but as a 15 year old I didn’t really care. Nobody in my family lost their job. I liked 2010, especially the music, and it’s starting to feel pretty distant now. I’m actually listening to 2010 songs and feeling a strange sense of nostalgia for my teen days, which is something I thought I’d never say.

On balance, despite a better economy today, I think the UK is worse off now than it was 9 years ago. The general atmosphere is terrible, public discourse has declined significantly, the country is hopelessly divided and weary after almost a decade of austerity. I’d happily turn back the clock to 2010.

I feel the same way. The economy might be better right now but something feels more off. Things have felt kind of broken lately. I really hate when people say things like "the country is more divided than it's ever been!" but even I can tell something is different nowadays...it's like we can't make up or just let bygones be bygones. It feels like the two sides need a country for themselves as opposed to living together.

Personally, I think all this is just ramping up to a war between Russia and its allies Vs the US and its allies.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/01/19 at 3:45 pm

The only good thing about 2010 was that there was less tension in the air. Less violence and hatred in the world. And things were a little more stable. It felt less "apocalyptic". Oh and back then only geeks cared about the political spectrum. It is so annoying seeing normies post where they are on the spectrum in their profile photos and make it their identity. You didn't have any of that before 2015. The world wasn't as divided. Everyone voted for what party they wanted to vote for but they didn't make politics their identity. I miss that.

Written By: shadowcookie on 04/01/19 at 6:39 pm

I feel the same way. The economy might be better right now but something feels more off. Things have felt kind of broken lately. I really hate when people say things like "the country is more divided than it's ever been!" but even I can tell something is different nowadays...it's like we can't make up or just let bygones be bygones. It feels like the two sides need a country for themselves as opposed to living together.

Personally, I think all this is just ramping up to a war between Russia and its allies Vs the US and its allies.

It’s a different world for sure. Everything today is so politicised. I am sick and tired of politics.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/01/19 at 6:42 pm

It’s a different world for sure. Everything today is so politicised. I am sick and tired of politics.

Me too. I used to be into it but ever since it's become a culture and identity I am no longer into politics at all and I'm even at the stage where I don't want to vote anymore. It makes me sick. It causes so much division and strife. It doesn't matter what part of the spectrum you are because people from both groups are too vocal and disrespectful.

Written By: shadowcookie on 04/01/19 at 6:45 pm

Me too. I used to be into it but ever since it's become a culture and identity I am no longer into politics at all and I'm even at the stage where I don't want to vote anymore. It makes me sick. It causes so much division and strife. It doesn't matter what part of the spectrum you are because people from both groups are too vocal and disrespectful.

It just feels all-consuming nowadays. You can’t escape it. Everyone and their dog is going on about politics.

I hope the 2020s bring an end to this.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/02/19 at 12:40 am

Half the country basically wants to live in the 1950s.  They want a society where white Christian men rule over all sectors of society, gays are in the closet, women are in the kitchen, brown people are on their side of tracks out of sight out of mind, and where there's a Bible in every classroom.  The other half of the country is secular, diverse, and is more realistic but there's some stuff coming out of the left that I think is over the top as well.  Just given the current reality, the left is the better alternative to Trump and Republicans who want America to be ruled by the Bible and not the US Constitution.

I really hope war with Russia doesn't happen.  I think the fact that it's mutually assured destruction will keep it from happening.  However, I worry about a breakup of the US and certain parts of this country descending into chaos.  If Trump loses in 2020, I don't think he goes quietly and I don't think red state America will accept a Democratic President, especially if its somebody like Buttigeig.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 04/10/19 at 9:36 pm

The first half of 2010 and 2nd half of 2009 had a hybrid/mixed feel to it. The core 00s were definitely over, but there was still a lingering late 00s vibe mixed in with a growing early 10s pop culture.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 04/10/19 at 11:11 pm

2010 politically feels way different but technology it still co-exist with the rest of the decade.

Written By: mc98 on 04/11/19 at 8:10 am

The first half of 2010 and 2nd half of 2009 had a hybrid/mixed feel to it. The core 00s were definitely over, but there was still a lingering late 00s vibe mixed in with a growing early 10s pop culture.

2009/2010 was a transitional period, you could see some late 00s vibe still there but the early 10s were coming in FAST. Around 2010/2011, pop culture definitely felt more early 10s than late 00s.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/11/19 at 10:45 am

I miss 2010 so much.  What I would give to go back there.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 04/11/19 at 11:15 pm

I miss 2010 so much.  What I would give to go back there.

I know right! The electropop era extension will always be the best part of the 2010s, but there is always a good in any era, from an optimist's point of view  ;)

Written By: Lizardmatum on 04/13/19 at 1:17 pm

It is so annoying seeing normies post where they are on the spectrum in their profile photos and make it their identity. You didn't have any of that before 2015. The world wasn't as divided. Everyone voted for what party they wanted to vote for but they didn't make politics their identity. I miss that.

I agree with this totally! It makes me sad honestly how divided people are these days.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/14/19 at 12:38 pm

The early 2010s had quite a different vibe compared to today. You can safely say it's actually dated at this point. To me it seems dated. I don't know about anyone else.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/14/19 at 2:24 pm

The early 2010s had quite a different vibe compared to today. You can safely say it's actually dated at this point. To me it seems dated. I don't know about anyone else.

I agree.  I do really miss it.  I think this decade is ending almost in a dystopian manner.  There are still some ties to the early 2010s still with us in my opinion, mostly our social media/smartphone oriented culture.  However almost every other aspect of our society is much worse now than it was then.

Check for new replies or respond here...