inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What year did Hipster peak?

Written By: thisismelemon on 04/01/19 at 10:58 am

My pick is 2015

Subject: Re: What year did Hipster peak?

Written By: mqg96 on 04/01/19 at 11:46 am

Written By: gibbo on 04/01/19 at 11:59 pm

I can't vote because it never peaked. It went backwards from the moment it was conceived!

Written By: LooseBolt on 04/06/19 at 7:54 am

I would say 2014, because that was a major turning point in American popular and political culture, and here's why: the hipsters split. There have always been two poles to the hipster subculture of the 2010s:

1. The pop culture elitism associated with being the "first" to experience something, clean and simplistic living, and internet-backed entrepreneurial innovation (think urban farming); and

2. The socially conscious aspect focused on intersectionality of racial, gender, and sexual oppression, environmentalism, anti-capitalism, etc.

Starting in 2014, these two poles turned into distinct groups. One group, the socially conscious one, both established and joined burgeoning social movements such as Black Lives Matter, the social justice movement, etc. The other group gentrified our urban centers like Detroit.

A house divided against itself will not stand for very long. We still have hipster-inspired food though, so that's cool.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/06/19 at 2:56 pm

Hipster to me comes from the 1960s, groovy!

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/07/19 at 12:58 pm

From an underground sense, probably around 2012-2013. However, around Late 2013 was when the subculture became more ‘normalized’ in the mainstream sense of the word. Meaning the hipster culture was too prevalent, known, and or infamous (for better or worst) for the trend to continue being the niche bohemian lifestyle it was for much of the 2000s/early 2010s.

In that case, I’d say it’s mainstream relevance, both in how the culture was praised or bemoaned (even if those same haters also ironically wore clothes or listened to music that was stereotypically labeled as ‘hipster/indie’) was from roughly 2014-2017. Late 2015/Early 2016 seeemed to had been the peak in a massive pop cultural sense.

All I remember seeing throughout the 2015-2016 school year was flannel, thick frame glasses, 90s style ‘mom jeans’, Nirvana shirts, beanie hats, Chuck Taylors, Flat line Slacks, Beards (although beards are still prevalent today, but they were a lot more bushy back then), gadges, and man buns. Some of those trends are still around, but even then they evolved in a more minimalist/cleaned up fashion than how some of those trends were presented even just 2-3 years ago.

2017-2018 school year seemed to be the first school year in which much of the hipster pop cultural influence of the early-mid 2010s had seemingly waned off.

Written By: mc98 on 04/07/19 at 1:34 pm

From an underground sense, probably around 2012-2013. However, around Late 2013 was when the subculture became more ‘normalized’ in the mainstream sense of the word. Meaning the hipster culture was too prevalent, known, and or infamous (for better or worst) for the trend to continue being the niche bohemian lifestyle it was for much of the 2000s/early 2010s.

In that case, I’d say it’s mainstream relevance, both in how the culture was praised or bemoaned (even if those same haters also ironically wore clothes or listened to music that was stereotypically labeled as ‘hipster/indie’) was from roughly 2014-2017. Late 2015/Early 2016 seeemed to had been the peak in a massive pop cultural sense.

All I remember seeing throughout the 2015-2016 school year was flannel, thick frame glasses, 90s style ‘mom jeans’, Nirvana shirts, beanie hats, Chuck Taylors, Flat line Slacks, Beards (although beards are still prevalent today, but they were a lot more bushy back then), gadges, and man buns. Some of those trends are still around, but even then they evolved in a more minimalist/cleaned up fashion than how some of those trends were presented even just 2-3 years ago.

2017-2018 school year seemed to be the first school year in which much of the hipster pop cultural influence of the early-mid 2010s had seemingly waned off.

Gen Z teens want to get rid of any Hipster influence in pop culture as much as possible. I sometimes pick up my little brother from high school and the kids I saw have zero Hipster influence.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/07/19 at 1:41 pm

This is ironic in and of itself, because there is actually little or nothing that is indigenous to hipster culture itself. Almost all things hipster were borrowed from elsewhere in the first place, which was kind of the point. One of the best definitions of a hipster I ever heard was "one who is nostalgic for something they never experienced in the first place".

Written By: 2012emo on 04/14/19 at 8:13 am

i think hipster culture peaked in 2012-2014, with hipster fashion extending into 2015. i just remember wearing and seeing flannel everywhere in 2015.

Check for new replies or respond here...