inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: RIP EDM?

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 04/23/19 at 2:15 pm

Yes, there are still some EDM songs coming in from Marshmello, but look at the top charts in Billboard Hot 100, Happier is slowly dying off the charts, and now everything is basically Trap, ranging from Trap pop, to emo rap, and mumble rap. This is honestly the worst year of music by far, as it is lacking diversity, and Trap officially hit a new record peak after mid 2018. Every song in the top charts is literally about bad influence now, sex, drugs, etc! I was hoping mumble rap would die, but there are lots of new artists joining the game and keeping it stable  8-P Everything is just Trap, 90% Trap. Disgusting.

Trap is honestly getting boring, and we need something new besides just Trap! It was fun listening to it in 2014-17, but cant we have something new? EDM was a fun genre, and now there's barely any EDM songs coming in. It's like Disco in the 70s and Dance pop in the 80s, it served as an escape from world problems in the 70s, same with EDM, it helped people feel better.

Subject: Re: RIP EDM?

Written By: mc98 on 04/23/19 at 6:50 pm

Yes, there are still some EDM songs coming in from Marshmello, but look at the top charts in Billboard Hot 100, Happier is slowly dying off the charts, and now everything is basically Trap, ranging from Trap pop, to emo rap, and mumble rap. This is honestly the worst year of music by far, as it is lacking diversity, and Trap officially hit a new record peak after mid 2018. Every song in the top charts is literally about bad influence now, sex, drugs, etc! I was hoping mumble rap would die, but there are lots of new artists joining the game and keeping it stable  8-P Everything is just Trap, 90% Trap. Disgusting.

Trap is honestly getting boring, and we need something new besides just Trap! It was fun listening to it in 2014-17, but cant we have something new? EDM was a fun genre, and now there's barely any EDM songs coming in. It's like Disco in the 70s and Dance pop in the 80s, it served as an escape from world problems in the 70s, same with EDM, it helped people feel better.

Old Town Road: Trap with Country elements
Wow: An R&B song with Hip Hop elements
Sunflower: A pop song
7 Rings: Pop with Trap elements
Without Me: A pop song
Sucker: A pop rock song
Dancing With a Stranger: A pop song
Boy With Luv: A K Pop song
Bad Guy: A pop song with Trap elements
Please Me: An R&B song with Trap elements

Trap makes up the minority of the charts right now. Traps peak was in 2016-2018.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 04/23/19 at 10:40 pm

Old Town Road: Trap with Country elements
Wow: An R&B song with Hip Hop elements
Sunflower: A pop song
7 Rings: Pop with Trap elements
Without Me: A pop song
Sucker: A pop rock song
Dancing With a Stranger: A pop song
Boy With Luv: A K Pop song
Bad Guy: A pop song with Trap elements
Please Me: An R&B song with Trap elements

Trap makes up the minority of the charts right now. Traps peak was in 2016-2018.

Wow sounds very trap, it's just not labeled as it for some reason, just like with Sicko Mode, sounds very trap but not labeled as it is

Sunflower is the only exception, Its more on the lo-fi R&B side.

Without me, I hear the drum machines used for trap.

Trap hit another peak after mid 2018.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 04/23/19 at 11:11 pm

I agree. I remember thinking at the beginning of last year that we would be moving on by 2019 but clearly not... Currently the biggest artists at the moment are Billie Eilish and Thank U, Next Ariana Grande - not good >:(.

Written By: 1997days on 04/24/19 at 2:15 am

good point but don't worry because that just means its at its peak point which is also saying this will probably be the last year trap is popular!

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 04/24/19 at 7:40 pm

good point but don't worry because that just means its at its peak point which is also saying this will probably be the last year trap is popular!

Yeah, It won't last forever thankfully. I stopped listening to popular music in the charts since Winter 2018 because of how dark it was getting, so right now, I'm holding on with 80s, 90s, and early 2000s music.

But remember when I said that Trap was at its peak in Mid 2018? It just hit another peak this past month, so it's an indication that another peak will happen by Late 2019. I'm just tired of it, and I'm actually shocked by how people are still into this music, it's been popular since 2013 or 14, and it has always received criticism.

Written By: 2012emo on 04/27/19 at 7:59 pm

comparing the charts now to the same time last year, it looks like the charts are actually a bit less trap/rap dominated, and pop music seems to have a bigger influence now than it did in 2018.
April 28 2018:
1- Nice For what: bounce/rap
2- God's plan: trap rap
3- Meant To Be: country pop
4- Psycho: trap
5- The Middle: electro-pop/EDM
6- Look Alive: trap rap
7- Perfect: pop
8- Freaky Friday: rap
9- I Like It: latin trap
10- Chun-Li: rap

April 27 2019:
1- Old Town Road: country/trap rap
2- Wow.: trap rap
3- Sunflower: hip-hop/pop
4- 7 Rings: trap/pop
5- Without Me: pop
6- Sucker: pop
7- Dancing With A Stranger: pop
8- Boy With Luv: k-pop/pop
9- Bad Guy: alternative/indie
10- Please Me: r&b/rap

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/27/19 at 10:26 pm

comparing the charts now to the same time last year, it looks like the charts are actually a bit less trap/rap dominated, and pop music seems to have a bigger influence now than it did in 2018.
April 28 2018:
1- Nice For what: bounce/rap
2- God's plan: trap rap
4- Psycho: trap
5- The Middle: electro-pop/EDM
6- Look Alive: trap rap
7- Perfect: pop
8- Freaky Friday: rap
9- I Like It: latin trap
10- Chun-Li: rap

April 27 2019:
1- Old Town Road: country/trap rap
2- Wow.: trap rap
3- Sunflower: hip-hop/pop
4- 7 Rings: trap/pop
5- Without Me: pop
6- Sucker: pop
7- Dancing With A Stranger: pop
8- Boy With Luv: k-pop/pop
9- Bad Guy: alternative/indie
10- Please Me: r&b/rap

Trap is definitely still a staple of this particular era that we're in but 2016-2018 seems to be its absolute peak.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 04/27/19 at 11:07 pm

Trap is definitely still a staple of this particular era that we're in but 2016-2018 seems to be its absolute peak.

Nope, right now, Trap is at it's all time high, beating Mid 2018.

Written By: xenzue on 04/28/19 at 1:03 am

Nope, right now, Trap is at it's all time high, beating Mid 2018.

I don't think so tbh. During 2016 to 2018 it seemed that every few weeks there'd be several new rappers that would make it mainstream. We're entering the 5th month of 2019, and as far as I know Lil Nas X is the only NEW rapper to make it mainstream. Blueface already blew up in 2018 so I wouldn't even count him. YNW Melly also got big but I'm struggling to think of someone else. MAYBE flo-milli, but she's only big in a small Gen Z dominated subculture run by Black/Brown LGBT teens aka spam world.

Emo-rap was being discussed as the next big thing, and trap aesthetics utterly dominated the "cool/edgy" side of pop culture. That "cool" is approaching a state of over-saturation, omnipresence, and tired. In the past few months, trap was being competed, and even dominated in some weeks by pop/alternative pop. To me this is not bad at all. Gen Z might reinvent hip hop again, and we're seeing the seeds being planted with a new wave of artists adopting a much more melodic approach without the performative depression/angst that's ubiquitous in late 2010s hip hop. Lil Mosey comes to mind.

Ariana Grande's one-two punch release of Sweenter and thank u, next was enough to cause a shift in pop music IMO. Sweetner was R&B enough to attract casual R&B listeners who usually listened to other streaming giants like Khalid, H.E.R., SZA, but pop enough to keep her base and older audiences who still listen to radio. While Sweetner was "only" the 16th most sold album of 2018, it was actually a massive success in the streaming world, a medium that was being utterly dominated by Hip Hop. That was until the release of thank u, next, which would accumulate nearly 2.5 BILLION streams (on Spotify alone) in only 2.5 months. With that release, she broke records even held by Drake, the defacto king of 2010s pop.

Written By: mc98 on 04/28/19 at 8:14 am

I don't think so tbh. During 2016 to 2018 it seemed that every few weeks there'd be several new rappers that would make it mainstream. We're entering the 5th month of 2019, and as far as I know Lil Nas X is the only NEW rapper to make it mainstream. Blueface already blew up in 2018 so I wouldn't even count him. YNW Melly also got big but I'm struggling to think of someone else. MAYBE flo-milli, but she's only big in a small Gen Z dominated subculture run by Black/Brown LGBT teens aka spam world.

Emo-rap was being discussed as the next big thing, and trap aesthetics utterly dominated the "cool/edgy" side of pop culture. That "cool" is approaching a state of over-saturation, omnipresence, and tired. In the past few months, trap was being competed, and even dominated in some weeks by pop/alternative pop. To me this is not bad at all. Gen Z might reinvent hip hop again, and we're seeing the seeds being planted with a new wave of artists adopting a much more melodic approach without the performative depression/angst that's ubiquitous in late 2010s hip hop. Lil Mosey comes to mind.

Ariana Grande's one-two punch release of Sweenter and thank u, next was enough to cause a shift in pop music IMO. Sweetner was R&B enough to attract casual R&B listeners who usually listened to other streaming giants like Khalid, H.E.R., SZA, but pop enough to keep her base and older audiences who still listen to radio. While Sweetner was "only" the 16th most sold album of 2018, it was actually a massive success in the streaming world, a medium that was being utterly dominated by Hip Hop. That was until the release of thank u, next, which would accumulate nearly 2.5 BILLION streams (on Spotify alone) in only 2.5 months. With that release, she broke records even held by Drake, the defacto king of 2010s pop.

^ THIS

Written By: Dundee on 04/28/19 at 9:55 am

Call it Trap Pop as it has zero elements of Country besides some twangy vocals

Written By: Kid of the 2000s on 05/01/19 at 4:21 pm

OR you simply don't know what mean we mean by EDM they mean electronic music without natural instrumentation it is simply more digital sounding music something that has been happening more and more since 0'7 THE GREAT SHIFT OF LATE 2006 LOL compare R Kelly i'm a flirt to ANY R&B song now and you will get my drift the 0'7 chart topper has use of instrumentation it's not created in electronic soundscapes,  EDM R&B EDM hip hop  EDM everything that is the way of the twenty tens, why oh why oh lord did we let this happen, the more digital sounding music twenty tens music puts me in a sombre mood it's depressing

Check for new replies or respond here...