inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was the true heart and soul of the 2010s in your own subjective opinion?

Written By: fgbn on 04/23/19 at 2:27 pm

for me it was the early 2010s i was 21-24 during that period and thinking of it now its probably the last period in my life that i will be truly nostalgic about
i started getting nostalgia for the early 10s around 2015 when it was still very recent, and the mid-late 10s just hasnt done it for me in the same way

the mood back then was just so upbeat and happy and the era contained a feeling of freshness from the in my opinion more dull 00s

what part of the 2010s are you the most fond of?

Subject: Re: What was the true heart and soul of the 2010s in your own subjective opinion?

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 04/23/19 at 2:35 pm

My favourite part was the Early 2010s (2010-2012), I was 5-8 years old back then, living in Dubai, and I had LOTS of fond memories of my childhood. I remember going to Dubai Mall, Dubai Festival City, City Center, etc., and going to lots of tourist attractions like Atlantis. Besides just going outside, I went on my Computer and played games like Roblox, minecraft, Miniclip, and Club Penguin.

Besides personal life, the music was PURE FUN. Electropop artists like Kesha, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, and Rihanna were topping the charts like Crazy! Non Electropop artists like Usher took some Electropop elements to their songs like DJ Got us fallin in love.

Subject: Re: What was the true heart and soul of the 2010s in your own subjective opinion?

Written By: mqg96 on 04/23/19 at 2:47 pm

It's a tough one, but I would have to pick 2015 IMO for multiple reasons.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/24/19 at 4:50 am

I say 2013-2019.

2008-2012 was its own era.

Written By: mc98 on 04/24/19 at 8:14 am

Mid 2010s obviously.

Written By: fgbn on 04/24/19 at 1:19 pm

Mid 2010s obviously.

why is that obvious?

Written By: mc98 on 04/24/19 at 1:21 pm

why is that obvious?

Because it has all the core 2010s trends.

Written By: SignificantStarfish on 04/24/19 at 3:04 pm

Pretty much 2010-October 4, 2011 since that was before my childhood ended (spiritually) and I didn't felt distressed or anything negative for the most part.

Written By: fgbn on 04/24/19 at 4:37 pm

Pretty much 2010-October 4, 2011 since that was before my childhood ended (spiritually) and I didn't felt distressed or anything negative for the most part.

how old are you?

Written By: SignificantStarfish on 04/24/19 at 4:58 pm

how old are you?

19. I'm gonna turn 20 in December.

Written By: Dundee on 04/25/19 at 12:23 pm

Definitely 2012-2015 to me, representing a lot of the decade stood before hitting more of a tired cyclus with 2016 and after on some aspects. It's when people were the most obsessed with indie businesses, alternative lifestyles, eccentricism, and embraced new technologies. That period is by far this decade's richest part musically.

And as an added bonus, this European hit from last year catches the essence of the era the best in my opinion:
oI9S2W66IYU

Written By: mc98 on 04/25/19 at 12:36 pm

Definitely 2012-2015 to me, representing a lot of the decade stood before hitting more of a tired cyclus with 2016 and after on some aspects. It's when people were the most obsessed with indie businesses, alternative lifestyles, eccentricism, and embraced new technologies. That period is by far this decade's richest part musically.

And as an added bonus, this European hit from last year catches the essence of the era the best in my opinion:
oI9S2W66IYU

I would extend that particular era a little earlier like 2011 - 2015. I remember Indie/Hipster style clothing became popular around 2011. Indie pop was also becoming popular in that year.

8UVNT4wvIGY

SDTZ7iX4vTQ

Even bands like OneRepublic tried the Hipster aesthetic that was becoming popular in 2011.
jZhQOvvV45w

Written By: NightmareFarm on 02/26/22 at 4:54 pm

The heart and soul of the decade was that the decade had no heart and soul

Written By: JacobThePlante on 02/27/22 at 4:26 pm

The heart and soul of the decade was that the decade had no heart and soul

ok boomer

Written By: NightmareFarm on 02/27/22 at 5:01 pm

ok zoomer

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/27/22 at 6:58 pm

ok boomer

I didn't realize NightmareFarm was a Boomer!  :o

Written By: NightmareFarm on 02/27/22 at 7:33 pm

I didn't realize NightmareFarm was a Boomer!  :o

I'm 80 actually. How's it going 70s kid!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/27/22 at 7:58 pm

;D  ;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/28/22 at 10:13 am

Gen X is the forgotten generation as we're sandwiched between Boomers and Millenials

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/28/22 at 10:26 am

Gen X is the forgotten generation as we're sandwiched between Boomers and Millenials

The fact that Gen X is something of a "forgotten generation" has plagued it since it's very inception. THAT'S why it was called "Generation X" in the first place. When it became clear in the 80s that a new generation, a demographic unto itself, was emerging, it also seemed clear that they were originally in the huge shadow of the baby Boomers who were THE major force at that time. By sheer numbers, if nothing else (which is why THEY were called "Baby Boomers" in the first place). Originally this emerging generation was called Post-Boomers, which would have ensured they remained in the shadow of Boomers forever, but eventually they came to be known as "Generation X", the "undefined" generation. You know, the "X" factor.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/09/22 at 12:22 pm

The fact that Gen X is something of a "forgotten generation" has plagued it since it's very inception. THAT'S why it was called "Generation X" in the first place. When it became clear in the 80s that a new generation, a demographic unto itself, was emerging, it also seemed clear that they were originally in the huge shadow of the baby Boomers who were THE major force at that time. By sheer numbers, if nothing else (which is why THEY were called "Baby Boomers" in the first place). Originally this emerging generation was called Post-Boomers, which would have ensured they remained in the shadow of Boomers forever, but eventually they came to be known as "Generation X", the "undefined" generation. You know, the "X" factor.

I just thought generations were named alphabetically in order (since we have Y and Z following), and some generations had other names while other didn't. Of course as we all know Gen Y is more commonly referred to as Millenials. Gen Z was at first referred to as post-millenials. I wonder if they will want another name now that the letter "Z" is associated with Putin and his army.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/09/22 at 12:58 pm

I just thought generations were named alphabetically in order (since we have Y and Z following), and some generations had other names while other didn't. Of course as we all know Gen Y is more commonly referred to as Millenials. Gen Z was at first referred to as post-millenials. I wonder if they will want another name now that the letter "Z" is associated with Putin and his army.

No, no, no! Though that does seem to be what people believe now. "Generation X" had a specific, if not exactly complimentary, meaning. "Generation Y" was a lazy placeholder until "Millennials" came along, and Generation Z has followed suit. maybe they DO just go in alphabetical order now, but that was not the original intent. What alphabet starts with "X"?  Boomers were not "Generation W".  And now that we are at "Z" do we start all over again for the NEXT generation with "A"? I notice some misguided souls already referring to "Generation Alpha".

Technically, Boomers were the first generation ever "named". It was quantifiable. There was a literal and legitimate "baby boom" in the post WW2 years 1946-1964. Hence "Baby Boomers". Names for prior generations such as "Greatest Generation" and "Silent Generation" came after the fact. AFTER "Boomers" had been named. So, who knows, maybe the naming of generations should have stopped with Boomers, the one generation that is mathematically quantifiable (ie specifically being born between 1946-1964). But when it was seen this quantifiable generation could be marketed to, marketers weren't about to leave it at that. Each successive generation, however amorphous, needed to be identified and named. But since they don't have the one actual quantifiable characteristic that a Baby Boomer has (i.e. being specifically born between 1946-1964, nothing more, nothing less) maybe all other generations should indeed just be lettered or numbered.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/09/22 at 6:11 pm

No, no, no! Though that does seem to be what people believe now. "Generation X" had a specific, if not exactly complimentary, meaning. "Generation Y" was a lazy placeholder until "Millennials" came along, and Generation Z has followed suit. maybe they DO just go in alphabetical order now, but that was not the original intent. What alphabet starts with "X"?  Boomers were not "Generation W".  And now that we are at "Z" do we start all over again for the NEXT generation with "A"? I notice some misguided souls already referring to "Generation Alpha".

Technically, Boomers were the first generation ever "named". It was quantifiable. There was a literal and legitimate "baby boom" in the post WW2 years 1946-1964. Hence "Baby Boomers". Names for prior generations such as "Greatest Generation" and "Silent Generation" came after the fact. AFTER "Boomers" had been named. So, who knows, maybe the naming of generations should have stopped with Boomers, the one generation that is mathematically quantifiable (ie specifically being born between 1946-1964). But when it was seen this quantifiable generation could be marketed to, marketers weren't about to leave it at that. Each successive generation, however amorphous, needed to be identified and named. But since they don't have the one actual quantifiable characteristic that a Baby Boomer has (i.e. being specifically born between 1946-1964, nothing more, nothing less) maybe all other generations should indeed just be lettered or numbered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN5zw04WxCc

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/09/22 at 8:02 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN5zw04WxCc

Cat

And the Who are actually back out on tour, if you can believe that. If they make an album I suggest calling it "Who's Left".    ;D ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/10/22 at 2:06 pm

And the Who are actually back out on tour, if you can believe that. If they make an album I suggest calling it "Who's Left".    ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Slim95 on 04/10/22 at 1:58 pm

The early 2010s was the most definitive period of the decade. That's when Lady Gaga was popular, electropop, Obama, Angry Birds, smartphones started to take off, etc. All 2010s stuff. But I hated that era personally.

Written By: AstroPoug on 04/19/22 at 6:38 pm

2014 & 2015.
Minecraft still in its prime, lets players like PewDiePie, Markiplier, and JackSepticEye, rise of fourth-wave feminism and political instability without completely infiltrating pop culture like in the late 2010s, Vine, flat design and minimalism, hipsters, EDM, selfies, Netflix, indie games like Five Nights at Freddy's and Undertale.

Check for new replies or respond here...