inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2020 will be the start of a new Pop culture era

Written By: duenas8 on 04/28/19 at 10:25 pm

GoT, The Avengers, Star Wars, to name a few of the most successful franchises of TV/Cinema history, where all of them have something in common. They will or have finished in 2019. In the same year, new streaming services will launch, Disney+ and Apple TV+, where many TV shows will be released headed by important actors and directors.

The 2020’s will be without a doubt, one of the most challenging decades for Hollywood, where a bunch of apps on your cellphone or something else will shape the future of the industry

https://www.syfy.com/sites/syfy/files/styles/2480x1400/public/2019/04/wwtw_feature_0419_2019.jpg?timestamp=1555699588
https://boygeniusreport.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/disney-plus-logo.jpg?quality=98&strip=all

Subject: Re: 2020 will be the start of a new Pop culture era

Written By: 1997days on 04/30/19 at 12:58 pm

I agree

Written By: Dundee on 04/30/19 at 4:17 pm

I mean how many times are we gonna post about this hypothetical 2020 cultural shift? All I'd say is to wait and see and judge by then.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/19 at 4:29 pm

Many people repeat the past. I'm not interested. I prefer evolution.

Written By: exodus08 on 04/30/19 at 4:32 pm

Many people repeat the past. I'm not interested. I prefer evolution.

Agreed! Nostalgia is cool and all but I want the future decades to have an Identity of their own.

Written By: violet_shy on 04/30/19 at 4:32 pm

I hope so. Please God. I can't take another year/decade of everyone trying to bring back old fads  ;D

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/30/19 at 7:31 pm

We are already in that 2020s shift imo but people on this board sleep.

Plus GoT and Avengers have shows/movies slated for the 2020s.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/30/19 at 9:02 pm

I mean how many times are we gonna post about this hypothetical 2020 cultural shift? All I'd say is to wait and see and judge by then.

I've never liked prediction threads, but I can't lie about this one. The end of GOT, Star Wars, and Avengers Endgame is going to lead to a huge pop cultural shift, and instead of Netflix being the only streaming service, now you have DC, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and now Disney Plus coming up which is going to lead to the 2020's being the decade where streaming takes over entertainment full force instead of broadcast TV like previous decades outside of reality TV and sports. Kinda like how premium & digital cable reached its prime throughout the 90's. GOT may very well be the final broadcast TV series viewed by a large wide audience in America for the rest of society as we know it. Any other hit TV series from here on out will probably be a streaming series. The Marvel Cinematic Universe was the Disney Renaissance of the 2010's in cinema. Iron Man 2008 is Little Mermaid 1989, and Avengers Endgame 2019 is Tarzan 1999. We were lucky to have shows like The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Arrow, and Flash right before streaming took over. Speaking of Arrow, that show ends in Fall 2019 too, which is gonna start winding down the DC TV Arrowverse that started in 2012. Disney Plus is probably the biggest launch of any entertainment venue for Disney since Disney Channel launched in 1983 or even Toon Disney in 1998 which has been Disney XD since 2009.

Written By: Dundee on 04/30/19 at 9:39 pm

^I have a serious hard time to believe that the all-monopolizing Disney compagny launching a streaming service will cause any major cultural shift other than giving Netflix some serious competition, just like how the launch of Apple Music gave Spotify some serious competition back in 2015.

Obviously the streaming numbers will only grow from here on, but its domination has fully settled on and Pop culture has revolved around since the mid-2010s, so what's really new on that side?

And btw, I'm pretty sure Avengers Endgame isn't the last Marvel movie that will be released like at all?

Written By: Howard on 05/01/19 at 3:05 pm

Agreed! Nostalgia is cool and all but I want the future decades to have an Identity of their own.

We just can't predict what the future will be like.

Written By: Milk on 05/01/19 at 3:23 pm

word is going around that introducing a bunch of different streaming services could have some bad consequences 

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/01/19 at 3:31 pm

I just want my jetpack.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/19 at 3:32 pm

I just want my jetpack.
...or a space-time continuum?

Written By: Howard on 05/01/19 at 3:36 pm

word is going around that introducing a bunch of different streaming services could have some bad consequences

Which ones? ???

Written By: exodus08 on 05/01/19 at 3:37 pm

Which ones? ???

Disney plus!  ;D

Written By: exodus08 on 05/01/19 at 3:40 pm

We just can't predict what the future will be like.

lol of course we can't thats why it's called the future. You have a bunch of conspireist on YouTube acting like they know when the world's gonna end or what we are gonna be wearing.

Written By: Kid of the 2000s on 05/01/19 at 4:07 pm

We are already in that 2020s shift imo but people on this board sleep.

Plus GoT and Avengers have shows/movies slated for the 2020s.

I don't like the idea of grouping 21st century arbitrary spans of ten years into "decades" because they don't feel distinctly different and no one even cares anymore this is not the 90's, although it sure feels like it with all the film remakes and perennial fashion trends

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/01/19 at 7:30 pm

I don't like the idea of grouping 21st century arbitrary spans of ten years into "decades" because they don't feel distinctly different and no one even cares anymore this is not the 90's, although it sure feels like it with all the film remakes and perennial fashion trends

What? You really, really don't think the 2010s is any different from the 00s? How old are you?

The 90s, 00s, and 10s have all been very distinctive from each other.

John, is that you?

Written By: exodus08 on 05/01/19 at 7:41 pm

What? You really, really don't think the 2010s is any different from the 00s? How old are you?

The 90s, 00s, and 10s have all been very distinctive from each other.

John, is that you?

True that! The 90s, 00s, and 10s are completely different from each other.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/02/19 at 4:16 am

^I have a serious hard time to believe that the all-monopolizing Disney compagny launching a streaming service will cause any major cultural shift other than giving Netflix some serious competition, just like how the launch of Apple Music gave Spotify some serious competition back in 2015.

Obviously the streaming numbers will only grow from here on, but its domination has fully settled on and Pop culture has revolved around since the mid-2010s, so what's really new on that side?

And btw, I'm pretty sure Avengers Endgame isn't the last Marvel movie that will be released like at all?

The Emperor's New Groove and Lilo & Stitch weren't the last Disney animated movies released either, but the Disney Renaissance was OVER after Tarzan. It's just like how the Marvel Cinematic Universe golden age just ended after Endgame and that's a big deal. Phases 1-3 are part of the golden age, and if you've kept up with the MCU since the beginning you'll know that the golden age is done. Phase 4 will still be interesting but it'll never be the same again.

Disney launching a streaming company only let's us know that more and more companies will be having its own streaming services soon while cable will continue to die out. To me that is a bigger deal than people will want to admit. The mid 2010's it was still mainly Netflix and hardly anything else for most of the part when it came to streaming.

We also have the 2020 election coming up, and we don't know how that'll play out but regardless we'll be heading into Trump's 2nd term soon or having a completely new president, and even with Bush and Obama having 2 terms their 2nd terms definitely had a different vibe than their 1st terms.

Check for new replies or respond here...