inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who else is disappointed about 2019 music?

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 05/01/19 at 8:16 pm

Note that this will be updated because some of them might come back, but still:

Yes, Ariana Grande is still relatively dominant, but what about the other artists? It's understandable that early 2010s artists that are still very popular in the mid 2010s like Rihanna, Katy Perry, etc., have already faded, but what about Shawn Mendes, Charlie Puth, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, what happened?? Pop music was better when they were around, and now they're not in the top charts, but I really hope they come back. I do know JB is coming back this year, but I hope it's good. The Weeknd, Alessia Cara, Bebe Rexha, Meghan Trainor, and a lot of those artists simply didnt last long, but why?? Everything is literally Trap or emo pop now, and it's not fun...

Subject: Re: What happened to the core 2010s pop artists?

Written By: Dundee on 05/02/19 at 7:13 pm

Taylor Swift just released a song that is getting pretty big, especially in the US as always despite seeing her "reputation" crumbling in her previous era. It will break a Billboard record in fact next week.

Justin Bieber has recently announced going on hiatus for a while due to mental issues, although he was featured on Lil Dicky's charity single "Earth" recently.

Shawn Mendes has released an album last year and "In My Blood" got actually pretty big.
Same with TheWeeknd and Bebe Rexha, they were huge last year and just haven't released anything in the meantime.

It's funny how many people on this board mistake an artist not putting out an album every year = the artist is irrelevant and fell off the charts.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 05/04/19 at 9:20 am

Taylor Swift just released a song that is getting pretty big, especially in the US as always despite seeing her "reputation" crumbling in her previous era. It will break a Billboard record in fact next week.

Justin Bieber has recently announced going on hiatus for a while due to mental issues, although he was featured on Lil Dicky's charity single "Earth" recently.

Shawn Mendes has released an album last year and "In My Blood" got actually pretty big.
Same with TheWeeknd and Bebe Rexha, they were huge last year and just haven't released anything in the meantime.

It's funny how many people on this board mistake an artist not putting out an album every year = the artist is irrelevant and fell off the charts.

I understand, I just wish they are still in the top charts, because I'm pissed about how music is going right now, it's literally all emo pop or trap. I understand Billie Eilish is making music to Express her feelings, which is good, but there just needs to be more diversity rather than just emo pop or trap

Written By: fgbn on 05/04/19 at 1:08 pm

Note that this will be updated because some of them might come back, but still:

Yes, Ariana Grande is still relatively dominant, but what about the other artists? It's understandable that early 2010s artists that are still very popular in the mid 2010s like Rihanna, Katy Perry, etc., have already faded, but what about Shawn Mendes, Charlie Puth, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, what happened?? Pop music was better when they were around, and now they're not in the top charts, but I really hope they come back. I do know JB is coming back this year, but I hope it's good. The Weeknd, Alessia Cara, Bebe Rexha, Meghan Trainor, and a lot of those artists simply didnt last long, but why?? Everything is literally Trap or emo pop now, and it's not fun...

they became old and irrelevant

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/04/19 at 1:23 pm

There's literally non-trap and non-emo songs on the billboard charts  (including the top 10) right now. Plus the trap sound from a couple years ago has faded, pop artists are just slow to the party, but it's basically already fading away.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 05/29/19 at 8:03 pm

-Bumped to Revive dead thread-

Quick Update:
Good News: Ed Sheeran and Shawn Mendes are back in the charts. Their new songs like I Don't Care and If I Can't have you sound decent too! (IMO)

Now let's wait for The Weeknd, Bebe Rexha, Drake, Alessia Cara, and bands like Imagine Dragons to release at least one song to get rid of this stupid over repeated trap beat.

If they release a new song, it better be good.

Subject: Re: Who else is disappointed about 2019 music?

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 05/29/19 at 8:13 pm

And yes, I did change the thread name because it sounded silly hahahahahahahahhaha  ;D

Written By: violet_shy on 05/29/19 at 8:26 pm

I must say, I do like the music by Shawn Mendes. His last album was so beautiful! I haven't heard his new songs just yet. Soon as I have the time I will look into them.

Written By: rapplepop on 06/02/19 at 12:36 am

I live on a college campus and pretty much the only music I hear played when I walk outside is trap music. I'm looking forward to the trap craze dying. It's not even rap, it's just druggy guys mumbling stupid mantras over repetitive, boring beats. Every trap song sounds exactly the same too.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/02/19 at 1:34 pm

There hasn't been a lot of good music this year at all. 2018 was a lot better.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 06/02/19 at 1:35 pm

I live on a college campus and pretty much the only music I hear played when I walk outside is trap music. I'm looking forward to the trap craze dying. It's not even rap, it's just druggy guys mumbling stupid mantras over repetitive, boring beats. Every trap song sounds exactly the same too.

I agree. I used to listen to Trap, but then I got so sick and tired of it because it's the same exact beat over and over again, and it's at its peak again, along with emo pop.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 06/02/19 at 1:38 pm

There hasn't been a lot of good music this year at all. 2018 was a lot better.

Yeah, but Ed Sheeran's new song and Shawn's new song sounded decent.

I'm not trying to bash Billie Eilish or anything, I do feel her pain and depression, and I feel bad for her, her songs are ok, it's just that If it's all emo pop or trap in the charts, it would show that music is in a very depressed state right now.

Written By: Dundee on 06/02/19 at 1:50 pm

This year gave us Lizzo. For that alone, hand me a 2019 fanclub membership please ;)!

XaCrQL_8eMY

https://media0.giphy.com/media/11GTGx1WLJuVcQ/source.gif

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/02/19 at 4:27 pm

This year gave us Lizzo. For that alone, hand me a 2019 fanclub membership please ;)!

XaCrQL_8eMY

That's one of the songs I do like this year. It's on my playlist. It has the mid 10's Uptown Funk or 24K Magic sound.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/02/19 at 6:23 pm

XaCrQL_8eMY

That's one of the songs I do like this year. It's on my playlist. It has the mid 10's Uptown Funk or 24K Magic sound.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/02/19 at 8:05 pm

I can see it coming out in the mid 2010s. But I would consider 24K Magic a late 2010s song, along with all other songs released in 2016. Mid 2010s music died in 2015.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/02/19 at 8:06 pm

Yes, very disappointed. But I felt the same way about 2018.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 06/03/19 at 2:14 am

I can see it coming out in the mid 2010s. But I would consider 24K Magic a late 2010s song, along with all other songs released in 2016. Mid 2010s music died in 2015.

Nah, mid 2010s music died out between Late 2018 and Early 2019, when EDM was no longer popular, with Happier being the last popular song. Yes, EDM sounded different in 2014/15 as well, but people even said that Something Just Like This by Chainsmokers and Coldplay sound Mid 2010s.

And how would mid 2010s music die in the middle of 2015 lol, Meghan Trainor, the Weeknd, Ellie Goulding, and other artists were still popular until late 2016, or even as far as Mid 2018.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 06/03/19 at 2:15 am

24K magic sounds more Late Core 2010s (Sub-era with a mix of the mid and late 2010s; September 2016-August 2018)

Written By: Slim95 on 06/03/19 at 2:18 am

Nah, mid 2010s music died out between Late 2018 and Early 2019, when EDM was no longer popular, with Happier being the last popular song. Yes, EDM sounded different in 2014/15 as well, but people even said that Something Just Like This by Chainsmokers and Coldplay sound Mid 2010s.

And how would mid 2010s music die in the middle of 2015 lol, Meghan Trainor, the Weeknd, Ellie Goulding, and other artists were still popular until late 2016, or even as far as Mid 2018.

Not even close. EDM is still popular now and it is a late 2010s genre, not a mid 2010s one.... EDM is what is on the radio now. You would never in a million years hear a song lime Happier be popular in 2014 or 2015. Also extending the mid 2010s all the way to 2019...? 2018 was literally the peak of the late 2010s.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 06/03/19 at 2:55 am

I like a lot more than I dislike. I don't mind "Old Town Road," but I'm totally digging Halsey, BTS, Panic, Ava Max, Mabel ("Don't Call Me Up"), AJ Mitchell ("All My Friends (Are Falling in Love)"), and Blackpink.

And to answer your question:

Katy Perry - Just dropped her latest single "Never Really Over"

Shawn Mendes - Latest single "If I Can't Have You" (No, not that one!)

Taylor - Latest single "Me" featuring the lead singer from Panic! at the Disco (who also have current hits with "High Hopes" and "Hey Look Ma, I Made It"); Plus her previous single "Delicate" wasn't really that long ago

Bieber - New song with Ed Sheeran "I Don't Care"

The Weeknd - "Pray For Me" (from Black Panther) plus he's featured on a new single "Power is Power" with SZA and Travis Scott

Alessia Cara - Latest single "Out of Love" is doing pretty decent on pop radio

Bebe Rexha - Most recent single was "Last Hurrah" back in February

Meghan Trainor - She's been a judge on The Four (neither renewed nor cancelled for season 3); she literally just released an EP, The Love Train, in February; an LP called Treat Yourself has been oft-delayed (the four singles have already been released a long time ago); Love Train's first single, "All The Ways," (also Treat You Right's fourth single) has been featured in the Target commercials; She also did a song for the recent movie The Hustle.

"Everything is literally Trap or emo pop now, and it's not fun..."

The Jonas Brothers say hi.

CnAmeh0-E-U

8_JbZvHc92U

BTS says 안녕하세요.

XsX3ATc3FbA

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/04/19 at 5:55 pm

Yes, very disappointed. But I felt the same way about 2018.

I liked 2018, especially in the later half with Ariana Grande, Dua Lipa, Post Malone, Bazzi, that Jackie Chan song, and many others.

Written By: rapplepop on 06/04/19 at 8:21 pm

I hope it gets better later this year. Maybe the Trap fad will die before the new year.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/05/19 at 6:01 pm

Another week in still no new releases worth putting on my Spotify. CRJ's new album is the most recent one I like, but I can only listen to the same album/playlist so many times before it gets old.

Written By: Dundee on 06/05/19 at 6:40 pm

Another week in still no new releases worth putting on my Spotify. CRJ's new album is the most recent one I like, but I can only listen to the same album/playlist so many times before it gets old.
June is not really a good month for releases. Finals keep most students more away from music consumption. Therefore it's a bigger risk financially.

Written By: 2001 on 06/05/19 at 10:23 pm

Carly Rae Jepsen saving 2019 music!

Is it too... is it too... Is it too much?

Written By: Slim95 on 06/13/19 at 2:21 am

Ok mainstream music in 2019 is improving, finally. Not just trap only anymore on the mainstream charts. And the pop songs are not boring and EDM only. It's starting to be a bit more mixed and diverse again, which is a sign a shift will happen soon. I can already tell music in 2019 is a lot better than music in 2018. And I can already tell trap is starting to decline, it has hit its peak early this year. Things are looking up. Maybe pop culture in the '20s won't be horrible.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 06/13/19 at 1:44 pm

Ok mainstream music in 2019 is improving, finally. Not just trap only anymore on the mainstream charts. And the pop songs are not boring and EDM only. It's starting to be a bit more mixed and diverse again, which is a sign a shift will happen soon. I can already tell music in 2019 is a lot better than music in 2018. And I can already tell trap is starting to decline, it has hit its peak early this year. Things are looking up. Maybe pop culture in the '20s won't be horrible.

But Old Town Road is technically still Trap, and its #1 right now... Its a decent song anyway, I dont hear mumbling. Lil Nas X also sounds great without autotune surprisingly! Finally a 'lil' rapper that's not mumbling.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/13/19 at 3:15 pm

But Old Town Road is technically still Trap, and its #1 right now... Its a decent song anyway, I dont hear mumbling. Lil Nas X also sounds great without autotune surprisingly! Finally a 'lil' rapper that's not mumbling.

Old town road sucks in my opinion. And you're right it is still trap. But mainstream music in general is at least starting to improve, with some better songs higher up in the charts.

Written By: 2001 on 06/13/19 at 4:33 pm

XaCrQL_8eMY

OMG. I just listened to this. I stan!

Written By: Dundee on 06/13/19 at 9:48 pm

Moms seem to jam a lot to 2019 music so far ;D

ltTbTsFUdks

Written By: LooseBolt on 06/15/19 at 6:03 am

Y'all only listen to Top 40s? That's the biggest mistake you're making. This year has been awesome for music:

-1d8EX8uE5U

l8TqhyWNkLg

(Parekh & Singh in particular are my favorite discovery of this year.)

Just emerge from your pop chart bubbles.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/15/19 at 12:37 pm

Please limit only 2 videos per post. There are devices that can't process more than two. Thank you.

Cat

Written By: J. Rob on 06/18/19 at 2:38 pm

As an avid Hip Hop fan, this has been an extremely boring year so far in that genre IMO. I'm 33 and artists who make music that caters to the 25+ crown (J. Cole, Kendrick Lamar, etc) drop music every 3 years and vanish in between. I absolutely hate Trap, by the way.....and also not a huge fan of Soundcloud rap either (or whatever they're calling the Uzi Vert, Lil Yachty, Lil Pump lane). I feel so old.  :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...