inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Alternative culture/music of the late 2010s?

Written By: GuapitoChico on 05/08/19 at 4:03 pm

Note: I’m putting quotation marks on “alternative” to signify that I’m not equating it to the actual genre called “alternative rock.”

There’s a “main” culture, which is mostly filled with the dominant and mainstream tops. The genre is usually pop or hip hop, at least for the past two decades.

There’s also an “alternative” culture, which is still well-known and recognized by the mainstream public, but is often placed just second to the dominant genres. It often manifests itself in a certain subculture, but not always.

In the late 90s/early 00s, the “main” was boy bands/girl groups and the “alternative” was pop punk.
In the mid 00s, the “main” was pop and crunk while the “alternative” was emo (and pop punk residue).
In the late 00s/early 10s, the “main” was electropop and the “alternatives” were alternative pop rock and indie (and emo residue).

What “alternative” does the late 10s have that isn’t underground?

Subject: Re: Alternative culture/music of the late 2010s?

Written By: 2001 on 05/08/19 at 4:43 pm

All the cool kids listen to K-Pop.  8)

Written By: mc98 on 05/08/19 at 5:52 pm

Billie Eilish is considered Alternative and she isn't underground.

Written By: exodus08 on 05/08/19 at 11:30 pm

All the cool kids listen to K-Pop.  8)

Not me :) I listen to Blümchen who's a Happy Hardcore Techno German singer.

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/09/19 at 3:21 pm

Bedroom pop. By the way, I take a little issue with the “alternative” of the early and core 2010s being alternative pop rock; I would give that more to hipster-y indie and jangle pop.

Written By: duenas8 on 05/10/19 at 1:25 pm

Idk if folk rock was considered alternative  ???

Written By: violet_shy on 05/10/19 at 6:45 pm

One of my music genres is Alternative music.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/11/19 at 4:45 am

I think I know what you're getting at. I hate to admit it but I'd say bro country might be the main alternative culture of this era. Whatever culture that is cooking up with Billie Ellish seems to be rising tho. I'm noticing more and more "alternative" teen girls. A couple of days ago I caught my niece sporting a Pink Floyd shirt. The only thing I've heard that girl listen to outside of trap and 2010s r&b is late 2000s electro-pop. I've kinda noticed black teens liking rock music is slowly becoming trendy these days.

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/11/19 at 5:43 am

Idk if folk rock was considered alternative  ???

No, I would say it's pretty established by hindsight that the alternative to Rihanna, Lady Gaga, and Owl City was stuff like this:

fNy8llTLvuA

DHEOF_rcND8

Written By: GuapitoChico on 05/12/19 at 12:48 am

No, I would say it's pretty established by hindsight that the alternative to Rihanna, Lady Gaga, and Owl City was stuff like this:

I think in general, you could definitely hear more “21 Guns” by Green Day or “Ignorance” by Paramore on the radio in 2008-2010, though I think the quintessential “alternative” sound of 2008-2010 was something more like this:

US46cHVj0-M
aeh2OXT6IPg

Idk what to call it, “soft alternative pop rock” or something? It’s like it’s not entirely 2000s emo nor 2010s indie, but you can hear elements from both.

2008-2010 was very transitional for the alternative cultures imo. People hadn’t f weaned off the emo sound, but at the same time, are having their first taste of that kind of indie.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/19 at 1:29 am

My alternative music is music from the movies!

Check for new replies or respond here...