inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Electric ride-share scooters: Love them or hate them?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/08/19 at 9:25 pm

So it was recently announced that electric ride-share scooters are coming to Omaha this week. On one hand they look like they might be kind of fun and convenient but I've also been reading that people in other cities that have these scooters consider them to be a nuisance (people riding carelessly and leaving them scattered everywhere in other people's way when they're done with them).

Apparently there is such a large backlash against these scooters in Los Angeles and San Francisco that there's an Instagram page (called Bird Graveyard) that is dedicated to pictures and videos of people vandalizing and destroying them. Some of these videos are quite...creative.  ;D

So for those of you who have these scooters in their cities, do you like them or do you consider them to be a nuisance?

Subject: Re: Electric ride-share scooters: Love them or hate them?

Written By: violet_shy on 05/08/19 at 9:34 pm

I haven't seen the scooters. What do they look like? I don't think we have them yet here in the north east.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/08/19 at 9:39 pm

I haven't seen the scooters. What do they look like? I don't think we have them yet here in the north east.

They're basically just motorized Razor scooters.

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh506/albertofthenorth/Mobile%20Uploads/e1827cd3-b3e6-4564-a5a6-a3d396ecb1b7-IMG_8007_zpsuxyidcsq.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 05/08/19 at 11:15 pm

I remember posting about electric scooters here in summer 2018, I thought it was just a hipster fad lol. Sharing services for it have yet to arrive here in Toronto.

Written By: Dundee on 05/09/19 at 4:13 am

They're harder to handle than you might think

Written By: Howard on 05/09/19 at 7:25 am

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh506/albertofthenorth/Mobile%20Uploads/e1827cd3-b3e6-4564-a5a6-a3d396ecb1b7-IMG_8007_zpsuxyidcsq.jpg

It must take loads of practice just to ride them.

Written By: violet_shy on 05/09/19 at 8:29 am

They're motorized now? I had no idea ;D

Strange they would make them that way.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/09/19 at 1:31 pm

I remember posting about electric scooters here in summer 2018, I thought it was just a hipster fad lol. Sharing services for it have yet to arrive here in Toronto.

From what I've been reading apparently two of the largest e-scooter companies, Bird and Lime, just dropped off thousands of scooters San Francisco and the Los Angeles metro areas one day and started their service without any prior notice or permission from the local governments. These scooters are "dockless," meaning that there's no designated area for people to drop them off when they're done with them. You pick one up, activate it with a smartphone app, ride it to your destination and then you just get off and leave it there when you're done. While convenient, this feature also has made them a bit of a nuisance since people have been just leaving them scattered all over in public areas where they're in everyone's way. Not to mention that even though the ride-share companies have been suggesting against it, people have been riding these scooters on sidewalks and whizzing past and occasionally colliding with pedestrians (the scooters can travel at up to 18 mph). So I can understand how people who live in areas where scooters are prevalent can quickly grow to hate them if they haven't been properly regulated first.

It seems like Omaha has been taking a measured response to e-scooters (and maybe Toronto as well, that's probably why they haven't arrived there yet) so they can try to minimize the issues that other cities have had with them. I just hope they don't irritate me too much. ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/09/19 at 1:46 pm

How fast do they go and can you ride them on the street or sidewalk?  ???

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/09/19 at 2:45 pm

How fast do they go and can you ride them on the street or sidewalk?  ???

They're can go 15-18 mph and you're not supposed to ride them on sidewalks but people do anyway.

I guess NYC has been resistant to allowing e-scooters and e-bikes so far.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/19 at 10:18 am

Should be banned, the contraptions are a menace to society, and for pedestrians on the pavement!

Written By: Howard on 05/10/19 at 4:04 pm

Should be banned, the contraptions are a menace to society, and for pedestrians on the pavement!

Have you seen them?

Written By: Longaotian00 on 05/11/19 at 11:55 pm

Hahah these (Limes) have been in Auckland since mid last year and they've been pretty controversial, lots of injuries and insurance issues etc. But tons of people use them around the inner city area.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/19 at 8:52 am

Have you seen them?
Yes, with many encounter on the pavements, they get in the way of normal pedestrianism.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/19 at 8:54 am

Hahah these (Limes) have been in Auckland since mid last year and they've been pretty controversial, lots of injuries and insurance issues etc. But tons of people use them around the inner city area.
I always think, you cannot get much exercise using one of them, it is better to walk.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/19 at 12:22 pm

Should be license with number plates if there are on the road, and what about insurance?

Written By: Howard on 05/12/19 at 2:29 pm

Yes, with many encounter on the pavements, they get in the way of normal pedestrianism.

They take up space on the sidewalk.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/19 at 2:32 pm

They take up space on the sidewalk.
...also dangerous!

Written By: Slim95 on 05/14/19 at 7:36 pm

I would prefer they were real scooters and not motorized. More people need to exercise these days.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/14/19 at 7:41 pm

They need more power. I’d ride one if it could go up to, say, 50 miles per hour.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/19 at 5:29 am

They need more power. I’d ride one if it could go up to, say, 50 miles per hour.
If so, please wear the safety clothing!

Written By: 2001 on 05/15/19 at 11:11 am

You would fly off the handle bar lol. Reminds me of when I managed to reach 60 km/h when riding downhill on my bike, that was a lot of fun  :D but if I needed to make an emergency for any reason, things could have got awry real fast.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/19 at 3:22 pm

I would prefer they were real scooters and not motorized. More people need to exercise these days.

walking is the best exercise.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/19 at 3:28 pm

walking is the best exercise.
That is my main thought too, on a powered scooter, the legs and arms do not moved, and no exercise is gained.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/15/19 at 7:08 pm

You would fly off the handle bar lol. Reminds me of when I managed to reach 60 km/h when riding downhill on my bike, that was a lot of fun  :D but if I needed to make an emergency for any reason, things could have got awry real fast.

When I was a kid, my land speed record was 53 miles per hour :o going down a hill by my house, on my bicycle.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/16/19 at 3:27 pm

When I was a kid, my land speed record was 53 miles per hour :o going down a hill by my house, on my bicycle.  ;D

Why did you go so fast?

Written By: 2001 on 05/17/19 at 3:45 pm

That must've been a lot of fun! :D

Why did you go so fast?

It's downhill, the bike moves itself. It's also a good idea to gain as much as speed as possible because more often then not, an uphill slope comes afterwards and going in with a high speed means less effort climbing.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/17/19 at 5:59 pm

Why did you go so fast?

Because my parents bought me a speedometer for my bicycle for Christmas.  :)

So I wanted to see how fast I could get my bike down the hill.  8)

Written By: Slim95 on 05/17/19 at 6:11 pm

I always like and support ride sharing programs. I think they are efficient and reduce pollution.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/17/19 at 8:38 pm

So they just started rolling out the scooters here in Omaha this week and I want to try one out, but I have to buy some Confederate flag Speedos first before I can ride one.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/19 at 9:37 pm

Yesterday, I witness one hurriedly stopping when travelling on the road at a pedestrian crossing, you could she on his face he wanted to carry on through the red light.

Written By: Howard on 05/18/19 at 2:06 pm

Because my parents bought me a speedometer for my bicycle for Christmas.  :)

So I wanted to see how fast I could get my bike down the hill.  8)

And you didn't get hurt?

Written By: Slim95 on 08/02/19 at 10:43 pm

We just received both Lime and Bird electric scooters in my town.

I see it this way, if people are having fun, not disturbing others, and being safe, then it's all good and they are a good invention. If people are being inconsiderate to others or riding on them drunk, then they ruin it for everyone else because it would need to get banned in that case for good reason. So former, love them. Latter, hate them. Hope that makes sense.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...