inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The future of company offices?

Written By: cowboy on 05/23/19 at 2:18 pm

Being a millennial, I've never worked in an office full with cubicles. Open office layouts are sometimes very distracting, but companies save $ on rent. IMO, open office layouts work in smaller teams of up to 20-25 people max per open space. What's your opinion on the trend of having 80+ people in these huge open layout offices? Do you see this trend continuing in the 2020s? I think many companies will start reducing desk/place numbers by having almost half of their employees work remotely from home, further reducing rent prices.

I find cubicles intriguing. I would hate the lack of natural light, but it's good to have a space all your own you can decorate as you like. Most corporate jobs suck anyway regardless of what type the actual office is and freelancing sounds like a more attractive idea. :)

Subject: Re: The future of company offices?

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/23/19 at 4:23 pm

One of the departments at my company has gone past the cubicle concept and is setting up what I call a “galley”.

They’re putting in a galley of work surfaces that are 8 of them side to side; two rows of this facing each other so you have a 2 x 8 configuration for 16 workers. No partitions of any sort from side to side. Each work station is 48” wide.

All they need are oars and a coxswain, and they’d have a Roman Galley ship.  ::)

Is a horrible setup, and I cannot wait to see the blowback when they realize what they have done.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 05/23/19 at 6:21 pm

I can see contracting out remote offices such as the way WeWork does becoming more popular. It's better to leave the work of designing office layouts to people who know what they're doing. Although personally I have no experience with it.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/26/19 at 1:21 am

When I started at my job 20 years ago, we had individual offices (in temporary house trailers).  In 2007 they built a new building, and went to a line of cubicles 200 ft long.  Since then it is very distracting.  More so because people are always socializing and laughing very loudly.  They don't allow employees to work from home, unless it's in addition to the normal work hours.

The place I worked before that had about the same amount of employees but basically 4 open offices of 10 people each.  Only thing dividing people was their drafting board.  But it was easier to concentrate there because people took the work more seriously.  One phone in the middle of the room, and one computer in the whole place which was dedicated to sending/receiving drawings.  Sure people told jokes once in awhile, but it wasn't a constant cacaphony of laughing and socialization like it is where I work now.  You would have gotten in trouble for that.

So while I'd prefer individual offices, I think either cubicles or open office can thrive or be a hindrance.  Depending on how the company is run.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/26/19 at 9:10 am

The office job I had is all done online line now, where I would meet people before they now have to do it on the computer. Btw, I finished working there a long time ago.

Written By: Howard on 05/26/19 at 2:36 pm

So what will become of future offices 10 years or even 20 years from now?

Written By: exodus08 on 05/26/19 at 11:15 pm

So what will become of future offices 10 years or even 20 years from now?

In 2039? not sure. Maybe virtual reality offices.

Written By: Howard on 05/27/19 at 5:32 am

In 2039? not sure. Maybe virtual reality offices.

I would like to see that.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/27/19 at 6:18 am

I would like to see that.

Well in the case of your office at Stop N Shop, is there any talk of self-driving carts? ???

People could enter their shopping lists via an app. And simply follow the cart as it goes from aisle to aisle in the most efficient way. Then after they put the groceries in their car, the cart can automatically navigate back to the corral to recharge.  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/19 at 12:03 pm

Well in the case of your office at Stop N Shop, is there any talk of self-driving carts? ???

People could enter their shopping lists via an app. And simply follow the cart as it goes from aisle to aisle in the most efficient way. Then after they put the groceries in their car, the cart can automatically navigate back to the corral to recharge.  8)
Shopping by drones?

Written By: shadowcookie on 05/27/19 at 12:13 pm

I work in an open-plan office and one of the downsides to that is a lack of personal space. Maybe that’s just me though. I’ve never been to an office with cubicles.

Working from home is an increasingly viable option but we’re a long way from it being the norm. I’m also conflicted on the idea in general - I feel like there’d be too many distractions, and I don’t really like the idea of my home and work space being the same.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/19 at 12:23 pm

Working from home is an increasingly viable option but we’re a long way from it being the norm. I’m also conflicted on the idea in general - I feel like there’d be too many distractions, and I don’t really like the idea of my home and work space being the same.
O0

You took the words right of mouth...

too many distractions at home!

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/27/19 at 1:44 pm

Shopping by drones?

Not exactly. You’d still have to pick the item off the shelf and put it into the cart. The cart just “knows” where to go next.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/19 at 1:50 pm

Not exactly. You’d still have to pick the item off the shelf and put it into the cart. The cart just “knows” where to go next.
Cannot robots take the goods from the shelves?

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/27/19 at 2:01 pm

Not the one I am designing. The least a shopper can do is to put their stuff in the cart.

It’s bad enough that my cart design includes a seat for the adult shopper..

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/19 at 2:08 pm

Not the one I am designing. The least a shopper can do is to put their stuff in the cart.

It’s bad enough that my cart design includes a seat for the adult shopper..
With extra seating for children?

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/27/19 at 2:21 pm

With extra seating for children?

The De Luxe version, yes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/19 at 2:32 pm

The De Luxe version, yes.
Sports design too, favourite motorcar models?

Written By: 2001 on 05/27/19 at 2:50 pm

O0

You took the words right of mouth...

too many distractions at home!

Enough distractions at work tbh. I'm more productive at home. I've got my work done at 10AM at times ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/19 at 3:19 pm

Enough distractions at work tbh. I'm more productive at home. I've got my work done at 10AM at times ;D
Indeed, you are more relaxed at home, you have not commuted into work, and you DO govern your own time.

Written By: 2001 on 05/27/19 at 4:01 pm

Indeed, you are more relaxed at home, you have not commuted into work, and you DO govern your own time.

Yep, in the autumn/winter I would even sometimes start working at 4:30am, and would sometimes finish not long after the sunrise. I felt like a million bucks! :D

Written By: Howard on 05/28/19 at 2:54 pm

No LB, there is no talks in self driving carts, unfortunately we have to use or muscle to move the carts back and forth. ::)

Written By: Howard on 05/28/19 at 2:55 pm

That's a pretty smart idea.

Written By: Howard on 05/28/19 at 2:56 pm

unless they're programmed.

Written By: Howard on 05/28/19 at 2:56 pm

Sports design too, favourite motorcar models?

and a cup holder for your hot or cold beverages.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/28/19 at 5:17 pm

No LB, there is no talks in self driving carts, unfortunately we have to use or muscle to move the carts back and forth. ::)

Well thats probably a good thing. If they had self driving carts, they might not need a cart man!

Written By: Slim95 on 05/28/19 at 11:46 pm

Seems pretty dumb and distracting.

Written By: Howard on 05/29/19 at 2:51 pm

Well thats probably a good thing. If they had self driving carts, they might not need a cart man!

Then I'd probably be working inside.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/29/19 at 4:46 pm

Then I'd probably be working inside.

Maybe you could be the guy who repairs the new carts.  :)

Written By: Howard on 05/30/19 at 7:43 am

Maybe you could be the guy who repairs the new carts.  :)

No I can't repair them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/31/19 at 5:21 am

No I can't repair them.
You can go for training for it, it will look good on your resume?

Written By: Howard on 05/31/19 at 7:12 am

You can go for training for it, it will look good on your resume?

No I'd rather keep the job I have right now, stick to pushing carts.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/31/19 at 7:14 am

No I'd rather keep the job I have right now, stick to pushing carts.
Surely the money will be better for you?

Written By: Howard on 05/31/19 at 7:50 am

Surely the money will be better for you?

Yeah, I know that but I'm better off doing what I'm doing now.

Check for new replies or respond here...