inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Early 2010s phone games

Written By: GameXcaper on 05/27/19 at 1:51 pm

Early 2010s Phone games (2009-2013, I include some games from 2014 in this as well) : Angry Birds, Battlebears, Call of Mini Zombies, Temple Run, Fruit Ninja, Jetpack Joyride, Flappy Bird, Piano tiles, Smash hit, Cut the rope, Flow free, Geometry dash, tons of building your own empire games, but the best one, in my opinion, was Battle Nations. (Games of this time were trying to be like console or PC games, with many imports of PC and console games, the features realistic 2d graphics, and tried to do the best they could with 3d graphics

The Mid-2010s Phone games (2015 - Present): Crossy Road, Smashy Road, 8-Ball pool (I know it's a mobile version of the flash game), 2048, and other similar games, which I can't remember the names of. (Overall the games of this era all have a very similar aesthetic and design, based around minimalism and flat design, no gradients, very basic shading and simple shapes, all angled at 45-degree angles)

Subject: Re: Early 2010s phone games

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/19 at 1:59 pm

When did the phone game "Snake" come out of fashioned?

Written By: GameXcaper on 05/27/19 at 6:32 pm

That's the grandpa of all phone games. I think it went out of fashion app store games became popular, so somewhere in the late 2000s early 2010s. Up until the early 2010s people still had flip phones. Other games like Tetris and block breaker were also introduced in the 2000s, but they never put snake out of fashion.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/28/19 at 7:58 am

Temple run, Angry Birds and Jetpack Joyride comes to mind from this era.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/28/19 at 11:21 pm

Lol when I first read the title of this thread I thought you were talking about phone games between two people on a phone.  ;D (you know you're old when....  ;D)

There was Temple Run and Subway Surfers. I enjoyed these two. I still have Subway Surfers on my phone. I remember UNO with Friends was poppin' and also this car racing game I forgot the name of.

Written By: GameXcaper on 05/29/19 at 11:05 pm

Lol when I first read the title of this thread I thought you were talking about phone games between two people on a phone.  ;D (you know you're old when....  ;D)

There was Temple Run and Subway Surfers. I enjoyed these two. I still have Subway Surfers on my phone. I remember UNO with Friends was poppin' and also this car racing game I forgot the name of.

Man, I can't believe I forgot to mention Subway Surfers, knowing how popular I was. That game was basically a mobile version of Jet Set Radio, not in gameplay but the theme was similar.

Written By: 2001 on 05/30/19 at 5:40 am

Zombie Run was life. I was so reckless, I used to play that on the road on my bike. It's a miracle no one got hurt.

Another was Draw Something, it was iSketch's spiritual successor (although nowhere near as good  :\'()

I liked playing air hockey when it comes to multiplayer. Other than that, I used to play checkers, and card games like President.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/31/19 at 5:48 am

Sudoko was available on one phone I had, but it was not challenging at all.

Written By: 2001 on 06/01/19 at 7:33 am

Sudoko was available on one phone I had, but it was not challenging at all.

That reminds me, I used to play and still Minesweeper on my phone to kill time.

Written By: wixness on 06/01/19 at 9:54 am

Early 2010s Phone games (2009-2013, I include some games from 2014 in this as well) : Angry Birds, Battlebears, Call of Mini Zombies, Temple Run, Fruit Ninja, Jetpack Joyride, Flappy Bird, Piano tiles, Smash hit, Cut the rope, Flow free, Geometry dash, tons of building your own empire games, but the best one, in my opinion, was Battle Nations. (Games of this time were trying to be like console or PC games, with many imports of PC and console games, the features realistic 2d graphics, and tried to do the best they could with 3d graphics

The Mid-2010s Phone games (2015 - Present): Crossy Road, Smashy Road, 8-Ball pool (I know it's a mobile version of the flash game), 2048, and other similar games, which I can't remember the names of. (Overall the games of this era all have a very similar aesthetic and design, based around minimalism and flat design, no gradients, very basic shading and simple shapes, all angled at 45-degree angles)

Those games annoy me because they're nothing more than like those free web games that were popular in the 2000s. A smartphone I had from the mid to late 2000s could run this game:

https://images.mob.org/file_exchange/java_game_images/games/2/1833/real/5.jpg

This game, called Gangstar: Miami Vindication, is a decently substantial Grand Theft Auto clone in terms of gameplay features, that could be run on a phone like this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_03C23-_AZEI/S6msVoUbbVI/AAAAAAAAAFM/ahEWgzDPkZ0/s1600/Nokia+6288+Close+View+(1).JPG

There was also a Sims clone called My Life in New York, but I'm gonna respect the limit on how many images I can link.

Sure, there were 3D games in the early 2010s for smartphones, but very few were substantial and could be compared to AAA games (which I think are better worth people's time and money) due to the hardware.

I'm only glad games like Fortnite exist on mobile or even at all, because children wouldn't have to resort to expensive and mature games like CoD (they could still resort to this games mostly out of boredom though). I would have wanted a game like Fortnite were I younger, because nearly all the shooters offered in the 2000s were only available for mature or teen audiences.

Written By: GameXcaper on 06/01/19 at 5:07 pm

Those games annoy me because they're nothing more than like those free web games that were popular in the 2000s. A smartphone I had from the mid to late 2000s could run this game:

This game, called Gangstar: Miami Vindication, is a decently substantial Grand Theft Auto clone in terms of gameplay features, that could be run on a phone like this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_03C23-_AZEI/S6msVoUbbVI/AAAAAAAAAFM/ahEWgzDPkZ0/s1600/Nokia+6288+Close+View+(1).JPG

There was also a Sims clone called My Life in New York, but I'm gonna respect the limit on how many images I can link.

Sure, there were 3D games in the early 2010s for smartphones, but very few were substantial and could be compared to AAA games (which I think are better worth people's time and money) due to the hardware.

I'm only glad games like Fortnite exist on mobile or even at all, because children wouldn't have to resort to expensive and mature games like CoD (they could still resort to this games mostly out of boredom though). I would have wanted a game like Fortnite were I younger, because nearly all the shooters offered in the 2000s were only available for mature or teen audiences.

That sounds very interesting, never knew that they had mobile GTA clones that early on. But I disagree with your opinion on Fortnite and COD. I was in the final years of my childhood when Call of Duty was at its height, between (2009-2012). Having grown up with those games, I feel bad for kids these days, they never got to experience those masterpieces, because kids my age were crazy for it. Sometimes I wish I was born a couple of years earlier so that I could be a teenager when 7th gen consoles were at their height. If you think that it was violent, then remember that kids and teens my age also grew up playing Minecraft as well. There were no shortage of Fornite like games at the time, it's just that they weren't in the spotlight. I would hate to be a kid growing up these days, there seems to be nothing to be nostalgic about.

Written By: 2001 on 06/01/19 at 5:09 pm

I actually hate what mobile gaming did to the obviously superior handheld gaming. The DS is my favourite system. The 3DS is very good too, but it's obvious we are not going to pocket systems like that anymore.

Written By: wixness on 06/01/19 at 5:19 pm

I think Saints Row 2 is the peak for gaming in terms of features, but that's for another topic.

I actually hate what mobile gaming did to the obviously superior handheld gaming. The DS is my favourite system. The 3DS is very good too, but it's obvious we are not going to pocket systems like that anymore.

I find that understandable, but I guess phones are considered far more necessary than handheld gaming devices, so more people can play games. The latter also have various technological features enforced by Nintendo legalities for DSs, GameBoys and derivatives that make the barrier for game development and publishing difficult for entry (may be a plus if you care about quality, but a minus too because those games can become cash cows depending on the whims of the publishers and/or Nintendo).

Check for new replies or respond here...