inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Has 21st century defining culture really begun?

Written By: GameXcaper on 06/01/19 at 2:04 am

If you look back at the first two decades of the 20th century, they'll have a lot more in common with the 19th century then the next few decades do, aside from the fresh new technology. So, the core 20th century didn't begin until the 1920s, at least in my opinion, and the real end to the 19th century was the first world war. Now carry this over to the 21st century, the 2000s and 2010s, in my opinion, are just an extension of the late 20th century that started somewhere in the mid-70s or the early 80s. In a way, I am just applying the general rule that a decade's true culture doesn't begin until it's the third or fourth year in (years ending with a 2 or 3) or at the very earliest the end of its second year (years ending with a 1) to centuries. That would mean that the core 20th century didn't begin until the 1920s/late 1910s. The core of the 20th century was the depression, WW2, the Cold War, Space race, Nuclear weapons, Pax America and the 1950s, and ended with the counter-culture revolution in the late 60s/early 70s. You definitely don't get the same vibe from WW1. It didn't look like a 20th-century war, more like a 19th-century war with new technology, being more similar to the Boer war and other late 19th century conflicts than to WW2. This means that the core 21st century hasn't begun yet either. What do you think?

Subject: Re: Has 21st century defining culture really begun?

Written By: rapplepop on 06/01/19 at 8:57 pm

Nah, I think the 21st century started early. It really started in the late 1980s with computerization becoming entrenched in the Western world and more importantly the beginning of economic globalization.

If you're talking about culture, EDM and hip hop along with alternative/indie music and bubblegum pop is really what defines the late 1980s to the present, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Written By: Dundee on 06/01/19 at 10:07 pm

Nah, I think the 21st century started early. It really started in the late 1980s with computerization becoming entrenched in the Western world and more importantly the beginning of economic globalization.

If you're talking about culture, EDM and hip hop along with alternative/indie music and bubblegum pop is really what defines the late 1980s to the present, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
A few historians actually agree with you. There's this concept of "short 20th century" where it ends in 1991 due to the fall of the Soviet Union and therefore the end of the cold war which was going on since the entirety of the post-WWII era.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 06/01/19 at 10:41 pm

Lmao defining 21st Century culture started way back in 2008. By the time of social media, smartphones and the recession was here, the 20th century was long over.

1991-2008 were the century transition years. Basically the end of the Cold War to the GFC.

Written By: GameXcaper on 06/01/19 at 11:01 pm

A few historians actually agree with you. There's this concept of "short 20th century" where it ends in 1991 due to the fall of the Soviet Union and therefore the end of the cold war which was going on since the entirety of the post-WWII era.

I searched that up, and also came across the concepts of the long 19th century and long 18th century. I guess the 20th century was considered by them to be short because of all the events that happened over such a short period of time.

Written By: rapplepop on 06/02/19 at 12:32 am

I searched that up, and also came across the concepts of the long 19th century and long 18th century. I guess the 20th century was considered by them to be short because of all the events that happened over such a short period of time.

I agree with the Short Twentieth Century theory, though I would argue the end date as being either 1979 (China opens up its economy to the world) or around 1985 (trade between countries and immigration starts to increase rapidly), rather than 1991 which I'd consider a bit late.

Also genetic engineering became feasible in the 1970s, along with technology such as ultrasound which can detect a baby's sex, so from that point on humans started to be able to control which babies get to be born and arguably the age of eugenics began.

Check for new replies or respond here...