inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is hip hop more popular than ever?

Written By: rapplepop on 06/02/19 at 12:42 am

I was thinking, I used to think hip hop would never be more dominant than it was for most of the 2000s. But I swear that pretty much all the music I ever hear in public these days is either old music or trap music.

In the early 2010s hip hop was somewhat less popular than it was in the late 2000s I think, because people were into stuff like Katy Perry and Lady Gaga. But since 2015 rap has returned with a vengeance. It sounds nothing like the rap of the 80s-00s though, there's not really that much actual rapping in it as opposed to chanting and mumbling.

I have nothing against rap, it can be fun, but I get annoyed when even artists I enjoy that have always been "rap-free", like Carly Rae Jepsen and Ellie Goulding start to incorporate elements of hip hop into their music. What's been amusing to see is rap and country fuse as much as they have, that would have been unthinkable not too long ago.

Most music from the past few years is hip hop influenced in some way or another. In the 2000s hip hop was MASSIVE but there was plenty of popular music that wasn't hip hop at all.

Subject: Re: Is hip hop more popular than ever?

Written By: Dundee on 06/02/19 at 5:36 am

This is a good video about the subject (at least for the US):

OwGlrL0gs38

Apparently the first half of the 2010s was a pretty big fall for Hip Hop's popularity in charts' presence (dropping even below mid-late 90s' standards), while the second half is the complete opposite of that, which is interesting to say the least.

Written By: rapplepop on 06/02/19 at 5:55 am

This is a good video about the subject (at least for the US):

OwGlrL0gs38

Apparently the first half of the 2010s was a pretty big fall for Hip Hop's popularity in charts' presence (dropping even below mid-late 90s' standards), while the second half is the complete opposite of that, which is interesting to say the least.

That's crazy. Around 2014 it had dipped to pre-1990 levels while since then it's shot to the moon. I thought music circa 2005 was very hip hop heavy but there was actually quite a bit of variety compared to now. Basically all popular music is rap now.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/02/19 at 9:23 am

I was thinking, I used to think hip hop would never be more dominant than it was for most of the 2000s. But I swear that pretty much all the music I ever hear in public these days is either old music or trap music.

In the early 2010s hip hop was somewhat less popular than it was in the late 2000s I think, because people were into stuff like Katy Perry and Lady Gaga. But since 2015 rap has returned with a vengeance. It sounds nothing like the rap of the 80s-00s though, there's not really that much actual rapping in it as opposed to chanting and mumbling.

I have nothing against rap, it can be fun, but I get annoyed when even artists I enjoy that have always been "rap-free", like Carly Rae Jepsen and Ellie Goulding start to incorporate elements of hip hop into their music. What's been amusing to see is rap and country fuse as much as they have, that would have been unthinkable not too long ago.

Most music from the past few years is hip hop influenced in some way or another. In the 2000s hip hop was MASSIVE but there was plenty of popular music that wasn't hip hop at all.
Yeah I've noticed that to. It seems all kids talk about is hip hop. I know the 00s was the decade hip-hop surpassed rock but even then most rappers hardly got on MTV since hip-hop was still seen as an urban (black) genre. In the early 10s it did seemed less popular than it is now but being someone whose apart of the hip-hop demographic I always felt like it was targeted towards me which is why I consider the early 10s my pop culture era.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/02/19 at 9:50 am

It's the most popular genre in the West.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/02/19 at 11:20 am

Today’s hip hop is dreck when you compare it to the OG’s like Big Bank Hank, Master Gee, DC the Brain Supreme, Steve Roll’n, and Wonder Mike.  8-P

Written By: Dundee on 06/02/19 at 11:57 am

Today’s hip hop is dreck when you compare it to the OG’s like Big Bank Hank, Master Gee, DC the Brain Supreme, Steve Roll’n, and Wonder Mike.  8-P
Sugarhill Gang? They made one defining song which isn't even that good to begin with. Their other stuff is very middling disco rap/r&b that isn't even worth checking out.

If you want some actually decent disco rap/early hip&hop, go check Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/02/19 at 1:38 pm

Sugarhill Gang? They made one defining song which isn't even that good to begin with. Their other stuff is very middling disco rap/r&b that isn't even worth checking out.

If you want some actually decent disco rap/early hip&hop, go check Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5.

DC the Brain Supreme and Steve Roll’n were the Tag Team.  8)

Written By: Howard on 06/02/19 at 2:44 pm

That's when you guys like The Sugarhill Gang, Run DMC and Grandmaster Flash.

Written By: Howard on 06/02/19 at 2:46 pm

They had a few other hits Shruggie during the early 1980's but I don't think those hits were on the top charts.

Written By: xenzue on 06/02/19 at 9:09 pm

Nicki's impact. She successfully fought against the music industry to include streaming in the billboard charts. Nowadays it's more even, but in the mid/early 2010s, Hip Hop and Latin Pop were extremely streaming-oriented, whereas Pop, EDM, and Rock didn't have a dominant streaming audience. The result is a flawed but somewhat more even playing field.

Check for new replies or respond here...