inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What will be the next major musical format for the 2020s?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/07/19 at 2:32 pm

Is it just me who has thought intensively about this? For some reason I've always noticed that each decade's music tends to be defined with the musical format that dominated said decade. Early Hip Hop, Hair Metal, "I Want My MTV!" & Cassettes are culturally inseparable to what defined the musical zeitgeist of the 1980s, as an example.

The domination of various musical formats also seem to be typically confined to that respected decade's cultural zeitgeist and in objective popularity/usage. For instance, Cassettes were huge in the 80s, but at around the time the CD was slowly being introduced in the early 90s, the importance of Cassettes began to dwindle. The same could be said with CDs being phased out in favor for digital MP3 files in the 2000s. Here is a little rough sketch of how we tend to associate certain musical formats with their respected decades. However, prior to this advancement in the latter 20th century/early 21st century, it seemed that the progression in musical formats was a lot slower;

Late 19th century via the 1940s: Standard 'Shellac era' of 78rpm records

1950s via the 1960s: The slightly more advanced 'Microgroove era' of 45rpm records

As you can see above, the standard musical record technology we were utilizing in the 1960s was practically very similar to what we were using when the technology was unveiled in the Late 1800s. Merely just small incremental upgrades every 10-20 years on the speed of how the music was transmitted.

However, in the 1970s you started to see not just speed improvements, but even an uptick in sound quality from musical records. This was due in part to the rise in Vinyl records. In this little history of Vinyl records; http://americanhistorynow.org/2014/01/27/the-history-of-vinyl/, apparently Vinyl records began to use cost effective ways of improving the sound quality by cutting the disc equipment to massively improve dynamic range, utilized as a feature known as "DBX encoded" which relied on noise reduction, not to mention the rise in "direct to disc" music releases.

So even though Vinyl had technically been around for decades at that point, we retrospectively tend to start the 'Vinyl era', in the technical/qualitative sense of the word, during the 1970s as the technology for Vinyl was starting to truly become realized. From the Late 1970s onward, there have been consistent and rapid advancements in the consumption and manufacturing of musical formats, from sound quality, to memory space, to even affordability/convenience;

1970s had Vinyl

1980s had Cassettes

1990s had CDs

2000s had MP3 Files

2010s have Musical Streaming

So the question for the posters on this forum, what is the next step? Where do we go from here? Perhaps this question has been asked before in <insert '9' year> since the 70s. But even so, by the respected '9' years there was already clear signs to suggest what the next decade would hold.

In 198'9', cassettes were prominent, but you already had the release of the CD, granted it was quite expensive at the time, but one could look at that as the next revolution.

In 199'9', websites like Napster were already huge and this allowed millions of people the ability to download music from thousands of artist on digital MP3 files. The problem being that this type of practice was still seen as illegal at the time, and many had been surely enough faced copyright charges. However, one could have probably looked at that and thought "If this became legal, then this could become a huge phenomenon", and low & behold with the launch of the iTunes store in 2003, it did (btw, RIP to iTunes :\'(. Check out Mr. Shruggies thread on the memory of iTunes; http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=59956.0, as it served as inspiration for this thread, and a little bit of background information).

Even in 200'9', there were already rumors in the tech industry that musical streaming was on the horizon. By that point Netflix had already launched its own streaming service, ditching its DVD by-mail service in favor to looking towards the future. You also had sites like YouTube that were massively popular at that point, which allowed the average person to watching thousands of content (granted, not as polished as much of YouTube's top tier content today ;D, but I digress). So it was only natural that could've been done for TV shows, music, and 'plain jane' online videos, could easily be done for music.

Now in 201'9', with the unfortunate demise of the iTunes, not because of mismanagement but merely because of a change of the times, it begs the question of what is the next logical step? Or, have we finally reached the apex of musical format consumption? Is steaming musical services the final step in this evolution?

Subject: Re: What will be the next major musical format for the 2020s?

Written By: bchris02 on 06/07/19 at 4:35 pm

I refuse to rely on streaming as my primary mode of musical consumption.  For me, streaming is the replacement for FM radio, NOT for CDs, MP3s, or Vinyl for that matter.

Written By: wixness on 06/07/19 at 4:46 pm

I refuse to rely on streaming as my primary mode of musical consumption.  For me, streaming is the replacement for FM radio, NOT for CDs, MP3s, or Vinyl for that matter.

Yes. Unfortunately, people are treating it as a replacement for both FM radio AND their music collection.

To answer OP's question, I fear that streaming may become the only legal way one can listen to music, should the vinyl (and possibly cassette) resurgence(s) fail badly. I blame both the consumers and the companies for this.

Consumers love music streaming services, because they can let companies organize the music they love, with little regard for storage space on their device and file managers in the case of digital music downloads. Consumers also love it because it is actually rather cost-effective - $10/month for hundreds or thousands of albums they can listen to.

Companies love music streaming services, because the digital rights restrictions management technology applied to it prevents unauthorized redistribution (however, it's used for more than just that - it's used to artificially limit the time too as to when people can actually listen to the content even if they pay for it and store it for offline playback). Consumers could (and probably should) hate it though, because they are paying for something they can't listen to forever unlike with non-streaming means of listening to music.

Unfortunately, as few consumers care to abandon streaming (for one, Spotify and YouTube are free and do not sacrifice anything but their data allowances and energy bills compared to other means which sacrifice physical storage space too, which digital downloads can eventually consume), and as entities such as Disney and the European Union only get more and more successful with lobbying for and implementing more restrictive copyright law (the UK technically banned iTunes and ripping music from CDs), I can see how streaming can be the only way that people can listen to music.

Written By: rapplepop on 06/10/19 at 3:41 am

I get pretty much all my music from YouTube, but if I really stan an artist I will buy their CD. I also have a vinyl collection and a few stray cassettes.

It's hard to imagine anything replacing streaming anytime soon.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 06/12/19 at 10:33 am

There were cassette tapes in the 1960s, and CDs in the 1980s.

Written By: 2001 on 06/12/19 at 10:45 am

Whatever comes next is going to need to be more convenient than streaming. I can't really think of anything.

Newer headphones have Google Voice Search installed on them which connects to Spotify, so you don't even need your phone on you to play music. That's still streaming but maybe a clue to where we're heading.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/19 at 10:47 am

Whatever comes next is going to need to be more convenient than streaming. I can't really think of anything.
Back to the olden days of whistling your own tune?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/19 at 10:49 am

Back to the olden days of whistling your own tune?
...it's cheaper too!

Written By: 2001 on 06/12/19 at 11:14 am

...it's cheaper too!

Just don't do it on the bus or this happens!

I1cPvIb0saM

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/19 at 11:17 am

Just don't do it on the bus or this happens!

I1cPvIb0saM
At times (at the right time) it is pleasant to hear, especially if the whistler is well practiced.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/12/19 at 3:59 pm

I hope it goes back to physical.  :D

I think the next format will be VR and AR related. Having musical albums and collections in VR where you can actually listen to a song and be in the music video at the same time. I don't think this will be streaming, streaming will still be around though but many people will want to use the VR experience because it will be a lot more immersive and you will be able to get the full album package in a VR experience. So there will be some special VR format, like "MVR" or something. VR/AR is the only next logical format where music will go.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/12/19 at 4:05 pm

Newer headphones have Google Voice Search installed on them which connects to Spotify, so you don't even need your phone on you to play music. That's still streaming but maybe a clue to where we're heading.

No way. Streaming will die. AR and VR is where music will go next. Most people will want to experience music in a new format that is AR or VR related whether they have a VR headset or an AR headset like a Hololens. People will be able to see Taylor Swift sing and dance right in front of them when listening to her new songs.  :P

Written By: 2001 on 06/12/19 at 4:17 pm

No way. Streaming will die. AR and VR is where music will go next. Most people will want to experience music in a new format that is AR or VR related whether they have a VR headset or an AR headset like a Hololens. People will be able to see Taylor Swift sing and dance right in front of them when listening to her new songs.  :P

I don't know about that. That would be like saying MTV will kill CDs in 1980s. You still need to listen to music in the car, or when you're out and about. You can't do that with VR. Maybe what you're saying VR MVs will come true but I don't think it can replace streaming (it might complement streaming if anything).

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/12/19 at 4:41 pm

What is clear that at some point in the undetermined future SOMETHING will replace steaming. There is no "final format".  Anyone who thinks "streaming is here to stay" is being short sighted. It's hard to imagine it now because streaming is so popular and has not even yet hit it's full stride. But at some point it WILL decline and something else will come along. And people will dump streaming as fast as they dumped their CDs and their albums before that. Without even really thinking about it. That's the way mainstream people tend to operate. Me, I'm glad I hung on to my albums I started collecting in the 60s and 70s. Ownership is the way for me. I might also add that whatever that something is that replaces streaming will come sooner rather than later because this type of change happens so much faster now. Partly it's technology for technology's sake (NEVER a good idea) and more it's a matter of money.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/12/19 at 6:06 pm

I don't know about that. That would be like saying MTV will kill CDs in 1980s. You still need to listen to music in the car, or when you're out and about. You can't do that with VR. Maybe what you're saying VR MVs will come true but I don't think it can replace streaming (it might complement streaming if anything).

Perhaps with AR (maybe a return for Google Glass ???) people would have more customizability with how they interact with the music. Maybe while one is driving a car a visual HUD would pop up and can be changed accordingly based on size, clarity, position, and other schematics to ensure a good & safe experience. Also, when one is at home, that same experience for AR could be transferred into a VR experience, where one can truly 'experience the music video', by virtually being immersed into it.

If a company like Google or Apple wanted to do something like that, they could completely revamp the notion of how we experience music. That would be quite revolutionary. The 'Apple U-Music', or something along those lines. Streaming may not be able to handle that, at least not yet with our current internet speeds, so perhaps they could sell your carts. Not carts with individual albums, but rather different types of carts in the vein of how we pay for different subscriptions. Perhaps sell carts based on genre (a Hip Hop Cart, or 'Best of Rock cart'), era ('CRAZY 80s', or 'The HAWT NAUGHTIES'), or even by individual artist instead of specific album, like we do now, which would be dope (a Drake or Taylor Swift cart, as an example).

So I agree with Slim, I can see that as being the next revolution, but then again it just seems to ambitious.

Written By: Howard on 06/13/19 at 5:36 am

So if streaming dies, how am I going to watch my wrestling? ???

Written By: 2001 on 06/13/19 at 7:45 am

Perhaps with AR (maybe a return for Google Glass ???) people would have more customizability with how they interact with the music. Maybe while one is driving a car a visual HUD would pop up and can be changed accordingly based on size, clarity, position, and other schematics to ensure a good & safe experience. Also, when one is at home, that same experience for AR could be transferred into a VR experience, where one can truly 'experience the music video', by virtually being immersed into it.

If a company like Google or Apple wanted to do something like that, they could completely revamp the notion of how we experience music. That would be quite revolutionary. The 'Apple U-Music', or something along those lines. Streaming may not be able to handle that, at least not yet with our current internet speeds, so perhaps they could sell your carts. Not carts with individual albums, but rather different types of carts in the vein of how we pay for different subscriptions. Perhaps sell carts based on genre (a Hip Hop Cart, or 'Best of Rock cart'), era ('CRAZY 80s', or 'The HAWT NAUGHTIES'), or even by individual artist instead of specific album, like we do now, which would be dope (a Drake or Taylor Swift cart, as an example).

So I agree with Slim, I can see that as being the next revolution, but then again it just seems to ambitious.

It seems very cumbersome. You can't strap on VR goggles wherever you go like you can with headphones. With VR you have to stop what you're doing and pay attention to the music video and not do anything else, and that is not how most people listen to music.

I don't see why an AR HUD would be any more convenient than the tablet on your car already. Also buying carts of individual songs/playlists will never be dominant ever again, that I can say with certainty.

Whatever replaces streaming needs to be more convenient and cheaper than streaming. It can't just be any new shiny thing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/19 at 8:10 am

It seems very cumbersome. You can't strap on VR goggles wherever you go like you can with headphones. With VR you have to stop what you're doing and pay attention to the music video and not do anything else, and that is not how most people listen to music.

I don't see why an AR HUD would be any more convenient than the tablet on your car already. Also buying carts of individual songs/playlists will never be dominant ever again, that I can say with certainty.

Whatever replaces streaming needs to be more convenient and cheaper than streaming. It can't just be any new shiny thing.
Agreed, listening to music (or speech format) is a background thing, you can work with the sounds playing.

Written By: wixness on 06/13/19 at 8:21 am

The equivalent of DVDs which you can hopefully keep.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/19 at 8:23 am

Watch live at the sporting arena?

Written By: 2001 on 06/13/19 at 8:24 am

Agreed, listening to music (or speech format) is a background thing, you can work with the sounds playing.

Right. Even when I'm laying back and just listening to the sound, I would rather do it without the distraction of a music video (the sound quality also tends to be poorer in MVs but I'm assuming that would be rectified if I was buying 'carts').

That's not to say VR MVs will never take off. It just won't replace streaming. It's like saying MTV will replace CDs in the 1980s, or YouTube will replace Spotify today. Watching an MV and listening to music are two different activities.

Written By: 2001 on 06/13/19 at 8:28 am

Buying DVDs of sporting events was never a thing not even in the early 2000s lol. I am sure Slim was talking about streaming music specifically though rather than all forms of streaming.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/19 at 8:50 am

Buying DVDs of sporting events was never a thing not even in the early 2000s lol. I am sure Slim was talking about streaming music specifically though rather than all forms of streaming.
Now you mentioned it, I have a few sporting DVDs and never watched them, I already know the results.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/13/19 at 9:10 am

Very simple. You will watch it with whatever format or method replaces streaming. Just as you once watched it via some other format before streaming existed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/19 at 9:42 am

It will be microchips in the brain, and what is downloaded or streamed can be seen in the imagination. It will be the same microchip that will hold information details, bank accounts, I.D., passport, etc.

Written By: 2001 on 06/13/19 at 10:03 am

It will be microchips in the brain, and what is downloaded or streamed can be seen in the imagination. It will be the same microchip that will hold information details, bank accounts, I.D., passport, etc.

I was JUST about to make a joke about that and the microchip breaking and playing "We Built This City" on repeat.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/19 at 10:19 am

I was JUST about to make a joke about that and the microchip breaking and playing "We Built This City" on repeat.
Now that could always happen, or even be pre-programmed?

Written By: wixness on 06/13/19 at 10:49 am

My concern is that even if streaming is eliminated, the technology that controls their distribution and if users can keep them at all (DRM) will still exist. Unfortunately, it's not being challenged enough and I see some people even defending the use of DRM.

Written By: Dundee on 06/13/19 at 12:50 pm

That would be like saying MTV will kill CDs in 1980s.

W8r-tXRLazs
;D

But yeah, it's pretty dumb to say holographes or VR or whatever will replace streaming considering music ISN'T only about visuals. At best It can replace the videoclip format on YouTube.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/13/19 at 1:00 pm

Something will replace it, even if we can't comprehend it right now. As something new always comes to replace something else. Unless the whole world ends before that happens.

Written By: xenzue on 06/13/19 at 2:23 pm

I don't see anything replacing streaming for at least the next decade. It's just now being seriously considered as the main format of music consumption by the music industry. And Slowpoke is absolutely right, whatever replaces streaming has to be cheaper and superior to streaming, gimmicks can only go so far.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/14/19 at 4:17 am

Just to let you know, I woke up with that song in my head...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/14/19 at 4:46 am

Just to let you know, I woke up with that song in my head...
...it is true!

Written By: Howard on 06/14/19 at 7:19 am

I do have plenty of my DVD's.

Written By: Howard on 06/14/19 at 7:20 am

Watch live at the sporting arena?

I don't go to sporting arenas anymore.

Written By: Howard on 06/14/19 at 7:24 am

Something will replace it, even if we can't comprehend it right now. As something new always comes to replace something else. Unless the whole world ends before that happens.

We'll find out when it happens.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/14/19 at 7:28 am

I do have plenty of my DVD's.
I find that my DVDs take up space, and gradually passing them onto friends.

Written By: Howard on 06/14/19 at 7:58 am

I find that my DVDs take up space, and gradually passing them onto friends.

I keep them on my shelves.

Check for new replies or respond here...