inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 20 year Nostalgia cycle and the 30 year nostalgia cycle

Written By: GameXcaper on 06/15/19 at 3:22 am

Something I have noticed is that during a decade there isn't a single decade revival as most people seem to think, but rather a double decade revival. I'll classify the first decade as the mainstream revival decade and the second decade as the true revival decade. The mainstream revival decade is the nostalgia for a decade that happened 20 years ago, and by name, is obviously the more well known decade revival. The true revival decade is the nostalgia for a decade that happened 30 years ago. That is why you see people arguing over whether the nostalgia cycle is every 20 years or 30 years, and I think that the correct period falls just around 24 to 25 years.

For example for the 2010s, the mainstream decade for nostalgia is the 90s, while the true revival decade is the 80s.

2010s: Mainstream 90s, True revival 80s.
2000s: Mainstream 80s, True revival 70s.
1990s: Mainstream 70s, True revival 60s.
1980s: Mainstream 60s, True revival 50s.

During a decade's mainstream revival, all pop culture related things and mainstream things from that time period come back, both good and bad no matter how cheesy they are. During the true revival, only the good parts of the decade are kept and remembered. The 80s already went through its a mainstream phase in the 2000s where a lot of the cheesiness was brought back from that time. In the 2010s we aren't looking at it through rose tinted glasses anymore but actually remembering the good things from it, some of the outcomes include the 80s aesthetic, Ready Player One, and the creation of synthwave/retrowave/vaporwave music. The 90s is going through it's a mainstream phase and many of the good things haven't been brought back, such as nostalgia for 16bit games and early 3d games. In fact, it doesn't even have a clear aesthetic yet like the 80s (Though, I know what it will look like). But during the 2020s the 90s will get a proper revival while the 2000s will be going through its mainstream revival. With this in mind, I would like to bring up my second point, the decade period that is actually revived during the decade is never the late part of the mainstream decade but rather the early and core part.

For example in the 2010s, when people bring up 90s nostalgia it is mostly referring to early and core 90s nostalgia and rarely late 90s nostalgia. This means that the 2010s is a mix of 80s, and early to core 90s nostalgia, the main period of nostalgia pointing to the late 80s early 90s. For the 2020s, the nostalgia will be a mix of 90s, and early to core 2000s nostalgia, the main period being the late 90s early 2000s. Let me put this in a list and you will see the similarities:

2010s: Mainstream 90s. True Revival 80s. Main period of Nostalgia late 80s early to core 90s.
2000s: Mainstream 80s. True Revival 70s. Main period of Nostalgia late 70s early to core 80s.
1990s: Mainstream 70s. True Revival 60s. Main period of Nostalgia late 60s early to core 70s.
1980s: Mainstream 60s. True Revival 50s. Main period of Nostalgia late 50s early to core 60s.

Here's a few links to others who also seem to think the same way, https://www.vulture.com/2016/10/2016-why-are-we-obsessed-with-the-80s.html

"Perhaps modern nostalgia now happens in two waves. In the late ‘90s and ‘00s, we had ‘80s Revival 1.0, which generally celebrated the decade as one big awesome ‘80s prom of over-moussed hair and Flock of Seagulls flashbacks."

"Now we have ‘80s Revival 2.0, which recognizes more fully the impact and historical significance of an era once viewed mostly through a fluorescent neon lens."

https://speedforce.org/2012/04/1990s-nostalgia-cycle/                                                                                 --Read the last half of the article
https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/7kkf7n/til_nostalgia_takes_us_back_around_30_years_which/
https://www.reddit.com/r/unpopularopinion/comments/7q5s4q/i_hate_2010s_culture/                                    --Read the first few comments

Edit: Fixed up a few grammar and spelling errors.

Subject: Re: The 20 year Nostalgia cycle and the 30 year nostalgia cycle

Written By: Dundee on 06/15/19 at 8:19 am

I don't think it's as cut-and-dry as this where one decade fully dominates one area of nostalgia like this but I do agree it's a mix of both the 20 and 30 years cycles considering they're the most dated decades that are still technically widely remembered. For example, while the 60s were pretty much legendarized by then on the whole I will say 70s nostalgia played a bigger role in the 90s considering how many songs from that period were sampled into hit singles and how much the fashion was an inspiration.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/19 at 8:24 am

“I'd trade all my tomorrows for one single yesterday.”

― Kris Kristofferson

Written By: GameXcaper on 06/17/19 at 4:40 am

I don't think it's as cut-and-dry as this where one decade fully dominates one area of nostalgia like this but I do agree it's a mix of both the 20 and 30 years cycles considering they're the most dated decades that are still technically widely remembered. For example, while the 60s were pretty much legendarized by then on the whole I will say 70s nostalgia played a bigger role in the 90s considering how many songs from that period were sampled into hit singles and how much the fashion was an inspiration.

Yeah, but you still agree with my point that there is often 2 decades of nostalgia rather than one.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/17/19 at 11:10 am

It's actually more like a 15-16 cycle. Right now in 2019 there seems to be more nostalgia for the early 00's (2003-ish). I bet you in 2020 you'll be hearing Usher songs from his Confessions album (especially "Yeah") being played a lot, especially by DJ's. I'm already starting to hear it a lot now, but not as much as 50 Cents "In Da Club" or "Crazy in Love" by Beyoncé.

Written By: GameXcaper on 06/17/19 at 12:34 pm

It's actually more like a 15-16 cycle. Right now in 2019 there seems to be more nostalgia for the early 00's (2003-ish). I bet you in 2020 you'll be hearing Usher songs from his Confessions album (especially "Yeah") being played a lot, especially by DJ's. I'm already starting to hear it a lot now, but not as much as 50 Cents "In Da Club" or "Crazy in Love" by Beyoncé.

I highly doubt that. I mean it is possible that is the starting point but Nostalgia for a decade doesn't become big until at least 20 years after it began. The early 2000s revival won't be in full swing until the early 20s, when people will start wearing baggy clothes and bootcut jeans again. Actually, now that I think about it, I am seeing more and more people wearing boot cuts and loose-fit pants compared to the mid-2010s.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/18/19 at 5:41 pm

I just don't see this at all and a few people on this board have been saying this for years now.

In all seriousness, am I blind to the 00s nostalgia going on cuz all the nostalgia shirts I see are from the 90s.

Written By: 2001 on 06/18/19 at 8:45 pm

I just don't see this at all and a few people on this board have been saying this for years now.

In all seriousness, am I blind to the 00s nostalgia going on cuz all the nostalgia shirts I see are from the 90s.

He probably means on the Internet?

Written By: Slim95 on 06/19/19 at 1:16 am

I agree. 1990s nostalgia was pretty lame this decade and my bet is next decade it will get bigger. This decade still had a lot of 1980s nostalgia and revivals. Nostalgia is like a 20 years and also 30 year cycle.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/20/19 at 7:35 am

Maybe not so much with fashion trends, which I don't really keep up with. It's more so the music commonly being played, and the style of current music and movies that are similar to back then.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 06/21/19 at 4:16 pm

I felt like the Early 2010s (2008-2012) had the most 80s nostalgia, electropop is what synthpop/new wave was in 1981-85, neon colors were all the rage, commercials, clothes, shoes, everything was neon and bright.

The core and late 2010s still had some 80s nostalgia but mainly 90s.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/29/19 at 6:59 am

We might also be having a late 80's nostalgia with sequels to Ghostbusters and Bill & Ted in Summer 2020.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Top Gun as well. It was originally supposed to have been released this summer. I'm hoping the new Ghostbusters will get pushed back to 2021, because with the new Batman and Indiana Jones are slated for release that summer, those 3 movies together can recreate the Summer of '89 feel.

Written By: Retrolover on 06/29/19 at 7:21 am

I felt like the Early 2010s (2008-2012) had the most 80s nostalgia, electropop is what synthpop/new wave was in 1981-85, neon colors were all the rage, commercials, clothes, shoes, everything was neon and bright.

The core and late 2010s still had some 80s nostalgia but mainly 90s.

Mainstream 80s nostalgia was going strong until last year or so. 80s nostalgia was better near the end of the 90s and in the 2000s when it was first introduced.

We might also be having a late 80's nostalgia with sequels to Ghostbusters and Bill & Ted in Summer 2020.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Top Gun as well. It was originally supposed to have been released this summer. I'm hoping the new Ghostbusters will get pushed back to 2021, because with the new Batman and Indiana Jones are slated for release that summer, those 3 movies together can recreate the Summer of '89 feel.

Late 80s and early 90s nostalgia. William Sadler will be reprising his role as Death in Bill and Ted 3: Face the Music.

All of the backlash about Robert “Edward” Pattinson playing Bruce Wayne and Batman reminds me of the response from the comic book community in 1988 when they found out that Michael Keaton would be playing Bruce Wayne and Batman. 

I prefer Keaton to Pattinson and Affleck as Batman. Still, I had to bring up where the start to all of this hostility over Batman movies came from — the late 80s.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/19/19 at 12:30 pm

Mainstream 80s nostalgia was going strong until last year or so. 80s nostalgia was better near the end of the 90s and in the 2000s when it was first introduced.

Late 80s and early 90s nostalgia. William Sadler will be reprising his role as Death in Bill and Ted 3: Face the Music.

All of the backlash about Robert “Edward” Pattinson playing Bruce Wayne and Batman reminds me of the response from the comic book community in 1988 when they found out that Michael Keaton would be playing Bruce Wayne and Batman. 

I prefer Keaton to Pattinson and Affleck as Batman. Still, I had to bring up where the start to all of this hostility over Batman movies came from — the late 80s.

Christian Bale was also good in the Dark Knight series. Btw, the trailer for the new Top Gun is available to view now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/19 at 1:17 am

"You must take your place in the circle of life."

- The Lion King

Check for new replies or respond here...