inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When will the mumble/trap era of hip-hop end?

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/16/19 at 12:29 am

So a while back I broke down the eras of mainstream hip hop, which people generally agreed with:

1979–1988: Oldschool/Funky Fly Age
1988–1997: Golden/Gangsta Streets Age
1997–2006: Silver/Jiggy Bling Age
2006–2012: Bronze/Ringtone Swag Age
2012–present: Mumble/Trap Age

But so far in 2019 it seems the Mumble/Trap Age is still going fairly strong, despite a backlash against it from some artists like Eminem, Snoop, Run-DMC, Rakim, and J. Cole.

lNBrG6uCpCY

When do you think it'll end, if ever? And what will be the style that replaces it?

Subject: Re: When will the mumble/trap era of hip-hop end?

Written By: mc98 on 06/16/19 at 12:54 am

There is no such thing as a Silver or Bronze Age in Hip Hop. There are great Rap records that aren’t Trap this decade. Trap started to become popular around mid/late 00s.

Written By: Escondudo on 06/16/19 at 3:10 am

So a while back I broke down the eras of mainstream hip hop, which people generally agreed with:

But so far in 2019 it seems the Mumble/Trap Age is still going fairly strong, despite a backlash against it from some artists like Eminem, Snoop, Run-DMC, Rakim, and J. Cole.

lNBrG6uCpCY

When do you think it'll end, if ever? And what will be the style that replaces it?

You missed the Crunk Era.

Trap might end in the next few years with some other type of heavy base sound becoming popular, but I think mumble rap is here to stay because it relies on turning words themselves and syllables into catchy beats. People won't get tired of it because it will adapt.

Written By: Dundee on 06/16/19 at 4:45 am

Omg how many threads of this are we getting get

Just wait until it dies out and ignore it in the meanwhile like geez ???

Edit: Also the golden age is off, it usually refers to like 1986-1992 which are Hip Hop's most defining years in its development. It doesn't necessarily refer to quality or a type of sound/style.

Written By: 2001 on 06/16/19 at 5:18 am

Like all trends it will eventually die or evolve. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Written By: mqg96 on 06/16/19 at 8:23 am

Omg how many threads of this are we getting get

Just wait until it dies out and ignore it in the meanwhile like geez ???

Edit: Also the golden age is off, it usually refers to like 1986-1992 which are Hip Hop's most defining years in its development. It doesn't necessarily refer to quality or a type of sound/style.

I always thought the golden age ended right after Tupac and Biggie died.

Written By: Dundee on 06/16/19 at 11:46 am

I always thought the golden age ended right after Tupac and Biggie died.
That's a common misconception, but most music critics agree that it ended around 1993-1994 when the G-Funk era started which is when the notorious tensions between the east and west coasts started to flame, therefore speaking of a "new wave hip hop". That era is also probably the most acclaimed era in Hip Hop history.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/16/19 at 2:18 pm

That's a common misconception, but most music critics agree that it ended around 1993-1994 when the G-Funk era started which is when the notorious tensions between the east and west coasts started to flame, therefore speaking of a "new wave hip hop". That era is also probably the most acclaimed era in Hip Hop history.

But then that would make the 1993/1994-1997 period rather short, right ???. IDK, I just stick w/ the larger 1988-1997 range of describing 'Golden Era' hip hop. Plus, much of that East Coast vs. West Coast beef was already alive and well by the time of Dr. Dre, Eazy E, Snoop Doggy-Dog and the rest of N.W.A in the West versus the Run DMC, LL Cool J, Wu Tang Clan, and The Public Enemy, among others, of the East.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/16/19 at 2:26 pm

Plus, there was much more of a systematic shift in the hip hop industry after the deaths of Tupac and Biggie, than there was with the start of the G-Funk era. You can say that the G-Funk era was sort of like a sub-era for the golden age, but I think the G-Funk era (1993-1997) and (for arguments sake) the 'classical' era (1988-1993) are just two halves of the much larger Golden Age for the genre. After Biggie's death in early 97', it seemed like the more pop influenced hip hop style that was pioneered by Puff Daddy, Lil Kim, Faith Evans, and others from Bad Boy records came out of left field and became the dominant form factor for the industry, and that was in mid-late 97'. At that point, you already had the rise in prominence for Jay-Z, as he was filling the shoes (of sorts) for the 'opening' that Biggie left open for more gangster influenced lyrical content. The late 90s, thus, is a detached era from the hip hop music of the Late 80s-Mid 90s, and that's why many pin point the deaths of Tupac and Biggie as being pretty transformative for the genre and reasonable reasons for the end of the golden age.

BTW OFF TOPIC....... But my post count is now the American Revolution.... just wanted to say that ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/16/19 at 2:29 pm

I’m not sure of the years involved but my two favorite rap genres are:

The fun stuff at the beginning like Rappers Delight.

Then the hard core gangster phase, the real O.G.’s who rapped about pimping, smoking blunts, chugging malt liquor in massive quantities, and smacking down anybody who disrespected them. Guys like 2Live Crew and N.W.A. 

Today’s rappers are a bunch of wimps, singing about “shorty” and sipping cough syrup out of a foam cup.  If they ran into any REAL O.G.’s on the street, they’d wet their pants.  ;D

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/16/19 at 2:40 pm

lNBrG6uCpCY

Also, I expressed my nitpick before, but I'm not keen on including 2012 (or really, any year prior to 2015/2016) with the current trap era. This era is defined by beyond untalented Soundcloud 'rappers', whom all happen to have rap names that start with 'LIL' in them. While hip hop in 2012-2016 was still a far cry to hip hop in the 1990s & 2000s, its still a crime to include that era with the garbage era of rap/hip hop we're living through now. Theres a reason why much of the hip hop stars that we grew up on like Eminem, Dr Dre, Jay Z, 50 Cent, Ja Rule, Lil Wayne, etc. etc. don't f*ck with this new wave sh!t. This wave began around 2015/2016, and it overtook the industry by Late 2016/Early 2017 with songs like 'Black Beatles' and 'XO Tour Lif3'. So please for the love of God, leave 2012-2016 out of it, this era is so bad that it's making me long for the days for 'Old school' Drake, Chief Keef and Two Chainz... yep its gotten to that point.

"I got a couple of mansions, still I don't have any manners. You got a couple of ghost writers, but to these kids it don't actually matter. They're askin' me "What the fudge happened to hip-hop?", I said "I don't have any answers". 'Cause I took an L when I dropped my last album it hurt me like hell but I'm back on these rappers.'" - Eminem

Written By: Dundee on 06/16/19 at 3:22 pm

Plus, there was much more of a systematic shift in the hip hop industry after the deaths of Tupac and Biggie, than there was with the start of the G-Funk era. You can say that the G-Funk era was sort of like a sub-era for the golden age, but I think the G-Funk era (1993-1997) and (for arguments sake) the 'classical' era (1988-1993) are just two halves of the much larger Golden Age for the genre. After Biggie's death in early 97', it seemed like the more pop influenced hip hop style that was pioneered by Puff Daddy, Lil Kim, Faith Evans, and others from Bad Boy records came out of left field and became the dominant form factor for the industry, and that was in mid-late 97'. At that point, you already had the rise in prominence for Jay-Z, as he was filling the shoes (of sorts) for the 'opening' that Biggie left open for more gangster influenced lyrical content. The late 90s, thus, is a detached era from the hip hop music of the Late 80s-Mid 90s, and that's why many pin point the deaths of Tupac and Biggie as being pretty transformative for the genre and reasonable reasons for the end of the golden age.

BTW OFF TOPIC....... But my post count is now the American Revolution.... just wanted to say that ;D

The deaths of Biggie and 2Pac were also a pretty important shift in Hip Hop I do agree, that still doesn't make 1993-1997 part of the Golden Age to most music literatures ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ And I do agree with that notion to some extent since the mainstreamisation of Gangsta Rap and the releases of albums "Illmatic", "Wu-Tang Clan" and all the other Hip Hop monuments of that era all deserve a unique chapter on their own.

Eras in music can be super short anyway, just look at the Psychedelia or the Disco eras.

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/16/19 at 3:47 pm

Also, I expressed my nitpick before, but I'm not keen on including 2012 (or really, any year prior to 2015/2016) with the current trap era. This era is defined by beyond untalented Soundcloud 'rappers', whom all happen to have rap names that start with 'LIL' in them. While hip hop in 2012-2016 was still a far cry to hip hop in the 1990s & 2000s, its still a crime to include that era with the garbage era of rap/hip hop we're living through now. Theres a reason why much of the hip hop stars that we grew up on like Eminem, Dr Dre, Jay Z, 50 Cent, Ja Rule, Lil Wayne, etc. etc. don't f*ck with this new wave sh!t. This wave began around 2015/2016, and it overtook the industry by Late 2016/Early 2017 with songs like 'Black Beatles' and 'XO Tour Lif3'. So please for the love of God, leave 2012-2016 out of it, this era is so bad that it's making me long for the days for 'Old school' Drake, Chief Keef and Two Chainz... yep its gotten to that point.

"I got a couple of mansions, still I don't have any manners. You got a couple of ghost writers, but to these kids it don't actually matter. They're askin' me "What the fudge happened to hip-hop?", I said "I don't have any answers". 'Cause I took an L when I dropped my last album it hurt me like hell but I'm back on these rappers.'" - Eminem

I see what you mean, however I'd still say 2012-2016 still had popular trap-ish artists like A$ap Ferg, Rich Brian, Young Thug, Future, Chief Keef, YG, Migos, Rae Sremmund, etc. Perhaps you could divide the current era into two parts, 2012-2016 and 2016-present (similar to the golden age being divided into 1988-1992, then 1992-1997).

Also, I'd say maybe you're accentuating the negative too much about the 2016-present era. I mean remember that during the 2012-2016 era, people online were complaining about how they hated Drake, Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne (he's beloved now, but back then people kept calling him "Lil Gayne" or posting that meme "Lil Wayne would be working at McDonald's if Tupac was still alive"), Iggy Azaela, Rick Ross, Rae Sremmurd, Migos, Soulja Boy, etc.

It's only now, with hindsight and nostalgia on peoples' side, that the good stuff of the 2012-2016 era is remembered, and the bad stuff is forgotten. Years from now, people will forget about the bad stuff from the 2016-2020(?) era and only remember good stuff.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 06/16/19 at 10:49 pm

Mumble rap really started in 2007 with Soulja boy, but it wasnt extremely mainstream. It became bigger with Chief Keef, Rich Homie Quan, Future, etc. In 2012, but again, it was still not extremely popular, although the Trap sound is becoming big with Harlem Shake and Turn Down for what, but it's not mumble rap. I'd say the mumble rap era started in late 2014 with Rae Sremmurd, Future, Rich Homie Quan, Fetty Wap, etc. This wave lasted until late 2016, when the second wave of mumble rappers like Desiigner, Lil Yachty, Lil Uzi Vert, DRAM, 21 Savage, etc. Became more popular, Trap is less upbeat though, and that EDM Trap sound, or any type of happy Trap, became more rap or emo. Then, the middle of the second wave was Lil Pump, and 6ix9ine. The third wave of mumble rap started in late 2018 with Rich the Kid, NBA Youngboy, and Lil Baby, but Trap is the most emo at this point with Juice WRLD and XXXTentacion's remaining songs.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/16/19 at 11:26 pm

^ I don't know if I would consider Soulja Boy mumble rap, but trap music originated here in Atlanta. One thing I will say for sure is that trap music was mainstream in the Atlanta area first before it got mainstream everywhere else, which is why to me we've been in the trap era consistently since the early 10's (like 2012 or 2013), while the mumble rap era started in 2012 or 2013 with Future, Young Thug, Rich Homie Quan, Waka Floka Flame, etc. There was already trap music around in the mid 00's though, especially in Atlanta, but it wasn't dominant yet and none of it had mumbling. I hate lumping trap music and mumble rap together. There's trap elements in tons of music that's not mumble rap at all and it's really good and catchy. The hip hop artists throughout the mid 10's ruined everyone's view on how trap music is really supposed to be.

Written By: mc98 on 06/17/19 at 1:45 am

Mumble rap really started in 2007 with Soulja boy, but it wasnt extremely mainstream. It became bigger with Chief Keef, Rich Homie Quan, Future, etc. In 2012, but again, it was still not extremely popular, although the Trap sound is becoming big with Harlem Shake and Turn Down for what, but it's not mumble rap. I'd say the mumble rap era started in late 2014 with Rae Sremmurd, Future, Rich Homie Quan, Fetty Wap, etc. This wave lasted until late 2016, when the second wave of mumble rappers like Desiigner, Lil Yachty, Lil Uzi Vert, DRAM, 21 Savage, etc. Became more popular, Trap is less upbeat though, and that EDM Trap sound, or any type of happy Trap, became more rap or emo. Then, the middle of the second wave was Lil Pump, and 6ix9ine. The third wave of mumble rap started in late 2018 with Rich the Kid, NBA Youngboy, and Lil Baby, but Trap is the most emo at this point with Juice WRLD and XXXTentacion's remaining songs.

Turn Down For What was a hit in 2014 and Harlem Shake in 2013.

Written By: mc98 on 06/17/19 at 1:49 am

^ I don't know if I would consider Soulja Boy mumble rap, but trap music originated here in Atlanta. One thing I will say for sure is that trap music was mainstream in the Atlanta area first before it got mainstream everywhere else, which is why to me we've been in the trap era consistently since the early 10's (like 2012 or 2013), while the mumble rap era started in 2012 or 2013 with Future, Young Thug, Rich Homie Quan, Waka Floka Flame, etc. There was already trap music around in the mid 00's though, especially in Atlanta, but it wasn't dominant yet and none of it had mumbling. I hate lumping trap music and mumble rap together. There's trap elements in tons of music that's not mumble rap at all and it's really good and catchy. The hip hop artists throughout the mid 10's ruined everyone's view on how trap music is really supposed to be.

Wake Flocka had a huge hit in 2010 with No Hands and Future had his beginnings with Racks on Racks and Tony Montana. That means Mumble Rap started to become popular in 2010/2011.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/17/19 at 2:52 am

It's already starting to decline in the mainstream so give it another year or two before it completely dies in the realm of Hip Hop. It has past its peak in my opinion. A big problem in hip hop is finding a new thing to replace it, that is actually very different from it.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 06/17/19 at 9:04 am

I agree. All these @$$h0l3 rappers ruined Trap music, now its seen as mumble rap in general.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/17/19 at 11:40 am

The deaths of Biggie and 2Pac were also a pretty important shift in Hip Hop I do agree, that still doesn't make 1993-1997 part of the Golden Age to most music literatures ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ And I do agree with that notion to some extent since the mainstreamisation of Gangsta Rap and the releases of albums "Illmatic", "Wu-Tang Clan" and all the other Hip Hop monuments of that era all deserve a unique chapter on their own.

Eras in music can be super short anyway, just look at the Psychedelia or the Disco eras.

I guess it depends on what one defines as 'Golden Age'. I'm guessing you think the 1993-1997 period was the start of the genre becoming mainstream right? If that's so, then that would make sense on why you think the Golden Age ended in 97'.

I see what you mean, however I'd still say 2012-2016 still had popular trap-ish artists like A$ap Ferg, Rich Brian, Young Thug, Future, Chief Keef, YG, Migos, Rae Sremmund, etc. Perhaps you could divide the current era into two parts, 2012-2016 and 2016-present (similar to the golden age being divided into 1988-1992, then 1992-1997).

Also, I'd say maybe you're accentuating the negative too much about the 2016-present era. I mean remember that during the 2012-2016 era, people online were complaining about how they hated Drake, Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne (he's beloved now, but back then people kept calling him "Lil Gayne" or posting that meme "Lil Wayne would be working at McDonald's if Tupac was still alive"), Iggy Azaela, Rick Ross, Rae Sremmurd, Migos, Soulja Boy, etc.

It's only now, with hindsight and nostalgia on peoples' side, that the good stuff of the 2012-2016 era is remembered, and the bad stuff is forgotten. Years from now, people will forget about the bad stuff from the 2016-2020(?) era and only remember good stuff.

Some of the artists I have in bold aren't necessarily trap though. On top of that, they were only a small handful of artists back in those days. The vast majority back then were not incorporating the trap style for beats nor lyrics.

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/18/19 at 1:20 am

You missed the Crunk Era.

Trap might end in the next few years with some other type of heavy base sound becoming popular, but I think mumble rap is here to stay because it relies on turning words themselves and syllables into catchy beats. People won't get tired of it because it will adapt.

I'd consider the Crunk Era (2003-2006) to be a subset of the Silver Age.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/19/19 at 10:16 am

Yet the biggest international Crunk hit besides "Yeah!" exploded in early 2008 which is "Low".

At the middle school dance in 6th grade (Spring 2008) Flo Rida “Low” was played over and over again.

Written By: Retrolover on 06/19/19 at 5:02 pm

Sometime in the 2020s when Gen Zers grow tired of it and move on.

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/20/19 at 3:02 pm

Yet the biggest international Crunk hit besides "Yeah!" exploded in early 2008 which is "Low".

I'm just following what #Infinity said about crunk dying in 2006

Written By: Anwawesome on 08/13/19 at 3:02 pm

Some of the artists I have in bold aren't necessarily trap though.

All the artists you have in bold are 100% trap.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/13/19 at 5:23 pm

All the artists you have in bold are 100% trap.

Chief Keef, YG, and ASAP Ferg aren't trap in the slightest. Future has always been known as the man who popularized mumble rap with some trap elements. However, even then the trap elements in much of his music prior to 2017 weren't as noticeable nor prominent.

Check for new replies or respond here...