inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Chrome to disable Ad-Block soon

Written By: mqg96 on 06/16/19 at 10:01 am

One of my college professors had a long conversation about this, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the next Chrome updates finally puts an end to AdBlock altogether. ZeldaFan, you were the one who introduced me to AdBlock in 2016 or 2017, and it was a lot stronger back then. As time went on, AdBlock has gotten weaker and weaker, more and more sites will block you from reading articles unless you turn your AdBlocker off so the ads can be advertised while you read the article and it'll slow your computer down  ::), that's another reason why AdBlock was so useful is because it made web pages faster without the ads and block ads also prevented viruses from entering your computer. When AdBlock was still new and fresh, it worked for almost every site. I'm surprised that AdBlock still works with YouTube ads, but the extension for me is only useful for YouTube ads now and hardly anything else like it used to be when I first got it. Ads are the only way entertainment outlets can make money including the companies that advertise the ads, and it was only a matter of time before they figured this out. 

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/30/google-enterprise-users-escape-chrome-ad-blocking-restriction/

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/evy53j/google-struggles-to-justify-making-chrome-ad-blockers-worse

TiUYAeLstTY

Subject: Re: Chrome to disable Ad-Block soon

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 06/16/19 at 11:34 am

One of my college professors had a long conversation about this, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the next Chrome updates finally puts an end to AdBlock altogether. ZeldaFan, you were the one who introduced me to AdBlock in 2016 or 2017, and it was a lot stronger back then. As time went on, AdBlock has gotten weaker and weaker, more and more sites will block you from reading articles unless you turn your AdBlocker off so the ads can be advertised while you read the article and it'll slow your computer down  ::), that's another reason why AdBlock was so useful is because it made web pages faster without the ads and block ads also prevented viruses from entering your computer. When AdBlock was still new and fresh, it worked for almost every site. I'm surprised that AdBlock still works with YouTube ads, but the extension for me is only useful for YouTube ads now and hardly anything else like it used to be when I first got it. Ads are the only way entertainment outlets can make money including the companies that advertise the ads, and it was only a matter of time before they figured this out. 

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/30/google-enterprise-users-escape-chrome-ad-blocking-restriction/

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/evy53j/google-struggles-to-justify-making-chrome-ad-blockers-worse

TiUYAeLstTY

I've been on websites where my adblock icon with the counter will register "99" ads blocked in the first few seconds, which is the highest the counter goes to, so it's almost surely more than 100 ads blocked. The amount of advertising on the internet is simply getting to be too much.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/19 at 2:08 pm

TiUYAeLstTY

Does this mean Firefox too? ???

Written By: 2001 on 06/16/19 at 2:38 pm

Does this mean Firefox too? ???

Nope, which is good because that's what I use.

Also, uninstall Adblock and install uBlock. MUCH better. AdBlock had become cozy with advertisers who would pay them to unblock their ads.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/16/19 at 3:57 pm

I have used Adblock & uBlock. Right now, I am using Ghostery. I mainly use Firefox but I USED to use Chrome for a few things but all of a sudden, it just stopped working. I didn't know what was going on. I uninstalled it, reinstalled it a few times and still it didn't work. Then I downloaded Opera. It works just as well, if not in some ways better than Chrome. I still use Firefox for most things but Opera for others.

Cat

Written By: mqg96 on 06/16/19 at 4:02 pm

Also, uninstall Adblock and install uBlock. MUCH better. AdBlock had become cozy with advertisers who would pay them to unblock their ads.

Is uBlock only available on FireFox?

Written By: wixness on 06/16/19 at 4:05 pm

I'm not too fussed, but unfortunately, I haven't been using Firefox as much as I feel like I could.

I generally don't mind ads and would take an internet filled with ads over those with numerous paywalls (like that from news sites, but worse), but I can see how they're impactful on things like privacy. If I adblock, it's to enact economic sanctions on websites I personally don't like, such as YouTube and Reddit.

Written By: nally on 06/16/19 at 4:45 pm

I am using Chrome right now. In fact, my current PC came with Edge, but I started finding that browser kindof wacky and inconvenient (for lack of better words) in some cases; so, recently I got Chrome. (In fact, each time I logged into my Gmail through Edge, it kept telling me that Chrome was a better browser for Gmail, so I finally got it installed (for free).) Now I am debating whether to get Firefox.

One thing's for certain, though: I will NOT be going back to Internet Exploder.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/16/19 at 4:49 pm

I am using Chrome right now. In fact, my current PC came with Edge, but I started finding that browser kindof wacky and inconvenient (for lack of better words) in some cases; so, recently I got Chrome. (In fact, each time I logged into my Gmail through Edge, it kept telling me that Chrome was a better browser for Gmail, so I finally got it installed (for free).) Now I am debating whether to get Firefox.

I used Firefox for my gmail. I don't have any problems with it.

I haven't used IE forever it seems. I HATE IT! Have always hate it. The only time I use it is when I have a new computer and I use it to download Firefox. But, this new (refurb) computer I have already had Firefox installed.

Cat

Written By: mqg96 on 06/16/19 at 5:47 pm

LMAO "exploder"  ;D , Internet Explorer has been dead for almost a decade now. I've been using Chrome consistently since 2010. The last version of Internet Explorer was 11 from 2013, and there hasn't been an update ever since.

This article was from May 21, 2012, and Google Chrome had already surpassed Internet Explorer by then.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/255886/google_chrome_overtakes_internet_explorer.html

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/16/19 at 6:00 pm

Time to disable chrome then.  ;D

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/16/19 at 6:17 pm

Time to disable chrome then.  ;D

This.

But also...

...maybe people need to start paying for quality content again...?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/16/19 at 6:32 pm

Marquis, have you been following the Net Neutrality issue recently?

Theres this article:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/net-neutrality-fcc-184307416.html

& this article as well:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/11/18661208/mitch-mcconnell-net-neutrality-democrats-pressure-markey-wyden-cantwell-ajit-pai-fcc

One year since the decision was made by the FCC to repeal net neutrality, the idea that all websites and traffic must be recognized & treated equally, I've noticed that more and more websites have started to become more strict with ad blocking software. Many sites will now straight up force you to remove Ad Block to even access its site (and funny enough, it would still require you to subscribe to a subscription, limiting you to only a few articles a month ;D). As one whom tries to stay on top of current events, politics, tech, sports, etc., it is truly a shame how there is now a paywall to access information. And I feel like it's only going to get worst.

In a world where the internet (not to mention social media sites, forums, sits like Reddit, etc.) are becoming the new 'town square' where people deliberate and or receive information (admittedly not always the most valid, but I digress), it does put things in a slippery slope when you place too much authority to Telecom and Silicon Valley tycoons on what content deserves to be highlighted. And trust me, with net neutrality scrapped it will be much easier to 'de platform' voices that do not coincide with the mainstream narrative, simply by slowing down access to those sites and or to have a significant paywall to access those sites (not to mention establishment sites like the NY Times or the Washington Post that already technically exist).

I know this video may seem a bit out of topic, but I still think it applies to macro changes occurring in our political system right now, which has a ripple effect to many things in society. Particularly, how we access information:

jIYBod0ge3Y

This video highlights on how Metal Gear Solid 2, which came out in 2001, predicted the current world we're living in when it comes to the access of 'memes' (what they define as information or 'ideas') and how to limit the spread of deemed 'dangerous' memes. Especially given the events that have lead to the current and third 'Adpocalypse' that we're going through on YouTube and other popular websites, this video speaks volumes.

For a good and detailed analysis of the events that have led to the third 'Adpocalyspe', I'd recommend you check out this analysis by Secular Talk:

3v1t62htoBY

Written By: 2001 on 06/16/19 at 7:02 pm

Is uBlock only available on FireFox?

No, it's available for Chrome too https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

But perhaps not for long.

This.

But also...

...maybe people need to start paying for quality content again...?

I have an Economist subscription.

I used to have a Globe & Mail (Canadian paper) subscription but they were waaaaayyyy too clickbaity/sensationalist for me to tolerate. Also they legit have a horoscope section. Not all journalism is worth paying for ;D

Written By: nally on 06/16/19 at 8:46 pm

I used Firefox for my gmail. I don't have any problems with it.

I haven't had any problems using it that way either. Maybe someday I'll get it for my current PC (which is almost 2 1/2 yrs old now).

I haven't used IE forever it seems. I HATE IT! Have always hate it. The only time I use it is when I have a new computer and I use it to download Firefox. But, this new (refurb) computer I have already had Firefox installed.

Cat

I don't like IE either, and I'm glad my pc never had it. But my computer at work has it, and it's supposedly the "default" browser, but I always use Chrome to go online (which I sometimes need to do to look up an address).

Written By: nally on 06/16/19 at 8:49 pm

LMAO "exploder"  ;D , Internet Explorer has been dead for almost a decade now. I've been using Chrome consistently since 2010. The last version of Internet Explorer was 11 from 2013, and there hasn't been an update ever since.

This article was from May 21, 2012, and Google Chrome had already surpassed Internet Explorer by then.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/255886/google_chrome_overtakes_internet_explorer.html

I thought so!

Seven years ago, however, I wasn't using Chrome yet, only Firefox. But if I ever needed to use a public computer back then (which was rare), I went with whatever browser was available.

I think the computers in my local public library (which I began volunteering at in 2012) still have IE...which I find surprising.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/16/19 at 8:53 pm

No problem, I'll just switch to Firefox. Google thinks they can mess around with its users but they don't realize their users can drop them in a heartbeat when they pull stunts like this. Users can go to the next best thing which will wind up being better, Firefox is always waiting for them in instances like this. Firefox will be my next default web browser. Congratulations Google Chrome, you just lost a customer.

Written By: 2001 on 06/16/19 at 9:17 pm

Although I've caught wind of this news before, reading up more on it I think it may be alarmist to suggest they will 'disable' ad block.

At the moment Chrome uses the webRequest API. I've worked with this before, and basically in layman's terms, it lets you block ads and websites before they even load. It's time consuming for the browser however as it has to load each of your extensions before it loads a webpage. Apparently Google is depracating webRequest and replacing it with "declarativeNetRequest". No one has seen this API yet, so I nor any one else can say how it works. Old extensions will need to be reprogrammed though to work with the new API. I am going to take a 'wait and see' approach.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/16/19 at 9:52 pm

For smartphones, I'd recommend you guys try Luna. NO ADS ON SOCIAL MEDIA APPS. Nada. Its amazing, and plus its free!

Written By: 2001 on 06/16/19 at 10:25 pm

For smartphones, I'd recommend you guys try Luna. NO ADS ON SOCIAL MEDIA APPS. Nada. Its amazing, and plus its free!

It looks like it's a VPN? I'd be wary of free VPNs. There is no such thing as "free" (except inthe00s lol) and they are most likely tracking very sensitive information you put into browsers/social media websites and selling them to advertisers.

Written By: Howard on 06/17/19 at 5:35 am

Is uBlock free?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/17/19 at 8:21 am

It looks like it's a VPN? I'd be wary of free VPNs. There is no such thing as "free" (except inthe00s lol) and they are most likely tracking very sensitive information you put into browsers/social media websites and selling them to advertisers.

But thats the thing, these sites are already selling your personal information to advertisers. This is most notable on YouTube, Google, and other Google related properties in which ads are directed to you based on an algorithm on your search history. It gets pretty creepy after a while. But I'll be vigilant of the risk using a VPN.

Written By: 2001 on 06/17/19 at 9:30 am

But thats the thing, these sites are already selling your personal information to advertisers. This is most notable on YouTube, Google, and other Google related properties in which ads are directed to you based on an algorithm on your search history. It gets pretty creepy after a while. But I'll be vigilant of the risk using a VPN.

A paid VPN would be worth the investment if that sort of thing worries you (and make sure to read the privacy policy to ensure they're not storing your data). Some are as cheap as $2/mo.

Is uBlock free?

Yes.

Written By: aja675 on 06/17/19 at 9:52 am

https://i.giphy.com/media/YYw8yAR2muQfu/giphy.webp

Written By: Howard on 06/18/19 at 7:38 am

A paid VPN would be worth the investment if that sort of thing worries you (and make sure to read the privacy policy to ensure they're not storing your data). Some are as cheap as $2/mo.

Yes.

So if I install it should I get rid of Avast Pop Up Blocker and Adblock or is it possible to keep them both and install a third one?? ???

Written By: 2001 on 06/18/19 at 12:44 pm

So if I install it should I get rid of Avast Pop Up Blocker and Adblock or is it possible to keep them both and install a third one?? ???

I think they can all work together.

Written By: Howard on 06/18/19 at 2:25 pm

I think they can all work together.

OK, I will look into it later.

Check for new replies or respond here...