inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled

Written By: mqg96 on 06/23/19 at 3:01 pm

I'm beyond shocked that there's actually a new LEGIT Crash racing game for the first time in 16 years. Anyone on here grew up with Crash Team Racing (1999) or Crash Nitro Kart (2003)? I mainly grew up with the latter. An updated version of this was long overdue and now it has custom kart modifications, online racing and retro courses similar to what the Mario Kart series did by the DS and Wii versions. The items remain very similar to the previous games with a few differences (they came up with their own blue shell lol). The story mode is just as fun as the previous games, and now the bosses are playable again just like the original (shame that Nitro Kart didn't let bosses playable). Battle mode is just as exciting as the previous games. So many adults who grew up with this are uploading gameplays of this on YouTube and Twitch. It looks exciting! Whether you enjoyed the original Team Racing or Nitro Kart, this new game looks like the best of all!

https://kill-the-game.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/crash-team-racing-nitro-fueled-split-screen-online-mode-702x459.jpg

z8kw372QLuM

cjqWaCeIUto

Subject: Re: Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled

Written By: duenas8 on 06/24/19 at 5:22 pm

Hope they make a PC version

Written By: mqg96 on 06/26/19 at 12:13 pm

Hope they make a PC version

I heard that it is coming soon to the PC, and a lot like MK8, there will also be new DLC tracks and new DLC added characters to the game. CTR: NF is a lot more challenging than MK8 and will put you through a lot of road rage. It requires a lot more skill and technique especially with the power slide mechanics.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 07/01/19 at 7:36 am

Grew up mainly with Crash Team Racing. That was like my favorite PlayStation game as a child. Also played a lot of Crash Tag Team racing though, which came out in 2005!

Written By: mqg96 on 07/01/19 at 10:51 pm

Wholy s**t y'all this is lit!  :o

They are taking this new kart racing game to a WHOLE ANOTHER LEVEL! This feels like the golden age of kart racers again that I miss during the heyday of racing games but with online mixed in!

l8Ns0sOGv4o

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-Z4lQrX4AAhcyN.jpg

Written By: mqg96 on 08/17/19 at 1:01 pm

Now after this game being around for a full 2 months. I've had a lot of time to see a lot of gameplays, discuss and analysis the pros and cons of this game. Right now I would give this game a 7/10. It's the best kart racer around right now IMO if you're looking for competitiveness and you want a good challenge with a huge skill set level. If you're a casual player, then I recommend you just stick with Mario Kart unless you really want to challenge yourself. Crash Team Racing is a great game and I highly recommend it for everybody. It's available on the PS4, Switch, and XBOX ONE, but before you consider it, make sure you keep all of this in mind.

PROS:

The Single Player experience is amazing....

This game features 18 original CTR tracks + 13 CNK tracks remade with updated graphics (all are very gorgeous) and new original tracks from the Grand Prix (there's only 3 so far but will be more).

Adventure Mode adds something to a kart racing game that no other does. You earn a trophy by getting 1st place on each course, and there's 4 trophies per world then you race the boss to unlock a key. Once you get all 4 keys from the 4 worlds you have to face the final boss Oxide then you still have to collect all the time relics, crystals, CTR tokens, and gems before you race him a 2nd time. It's so much fun.

Time Trial mode gives you good practice on the tracks and helps you gain muscle memory of all the details and all the shortcuts throughout the tracks. Time Trial mode gets challenging once you have to race N Tropy and Oxide's ghosts, but it makes you a better player.

Grand Prix gives you another great experience with all the challenges you can do in the arcade or online. Rather it's in races or battle mode. Doing Grand Prix challenges give you extra nitro points and enough nitro points can help you unlock new parts, skins and characters. There's different Grand Prix each month, and next month will be centered around Spyro The Dragon.

CONS:

Microtransactions. For those who don't have this game. Thru racing online regularly and doing Grand Prix challenges, you can earn Wumpa Coins and enough Wumpa Coins you earn will allow you to unlock parts, skins and characters from the Pit Stop. You can either grind the hard way for Wumpa Coins for free or you can pay for extra Wumpa Coins thru your debit/credit card the fast way. My issue with this is the timing of it and how the game original didn't have MTX until this month. Beenox originally said there would be no MTX in this game when it released in June, then up until recently Activision adds MTX to the game. They lied to us, and it's a bummer. MTX may not have a huge effect on the game now, but it could only get worse. What if there ends up being DLC tracks that you can only get thru MTX? This is what could ruin the game in the future.

Online Issues. The online service is so bad in this game. It's worse for PS4 players than Switch and XBOX players, and Sony is the home for Crash Bandicoot so this is unacceptable. When doing private matches with friends it's hard to get settled down and race each other without any connection issues. It can get really buggy at times. After all the patches and updates, online is still having major issues, and sadly it got worse since the recent Grand Prix.

When it comes to multiplayer in this game. You're more than likely going to do it thru matchmaking online. Online can be a fun experience, but at the same time, if you're a beginner and you immediately jump online without doing the Adventure Mode and learning the tracks, you're going to get your ass kicked so badly. There's a major level of skill set in this game. You have the beginners, immediates, advanced, and pros. Once 1st place finishes you only get 30 seconds to finish the race then the race is over and you're back to the track selection screen online.

The glitches. It could be any glitch really that you could think of. Items doing the wrong things. Parts of the course missing. But the most common glitches are the ultra shortcuts that shouldn't be taken on tracks are very common. It usually gets patched, but sometimes when an update happens there's certain glitches in this game that happens and it's not fun at all. It happens online more than anywhere else of course.

The item balance online. It's ridiculous. The lightning bolt item of this game is the clock, and the blue shell of this game is the warp orb, and let me tell you, you think blue shells are bad on Mario Kart? Warp orbs and clocks are much worse in this game. The items can be overpowering in this game and cause so much chaos. To make things worse, sometimes you'll get an Aku-Aku invincibility mask (similar to the star in Mario Kart) in 1st place! Doesn't make any sense. There's a lot in this game that still hasn't been fixed, and it's the horrible item balance.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/17/19 at 5:51 pm

I picture many early and core Millennials loving this game.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/17/19 at 7:39 pm

Can we bring generations out of a thread for once?  ;D Anyways, I'm a late Millennial or early Z'er and I love this game due to my nostalgia for Crash Nitro Kart unlike Crash Team Racing for most people, but this remake is basically a remastered CTR combined with CNK. So anyone who was nostalgic for the original CTR or CNK love this game.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/17/19 at 7:44 pm

Statistically there's more people in their 20's playing this game than any other age group, because we were the main Crash Bandicoot generation throughout the 5th & 6th gens (but Crash peaked in 5th gen overall). It's also no surprise this game is rated E 10+ instead of E because there's a more complex skill set that kids under 10 may not be able to handle. It's much harder to master than the original CTR or CNK. It's definitely harder than Mario Kart too.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/17/19 at 7:45 pm

Some people want them to bring Tag Team Racing assets into this game too, but others are like "No Tag Team Racing was trash, don't taint this one with it". ;D

Written By: Retrolover on 08/17/19 at 8:29 pm

Can we bring generations out of a thread for once?  ;D Anyways, I'm a late Millennial or early Z'er and I love this game due to my nostalgia for Crash Nitro Kart unlike Crash Team Racing for most people, but this remake is basically a remastered CTR combined with CNK. So anyone who was nostalgic for the original CTR or CNK love this game.

You’re an early Zer. “Crash Team Racing” was new when you were 3 years old, but Crash was on his way out when you got a little older.

I only brought up generations because Sonic the Hedgehog was ours (Xennials) and Spyro was for late Millennials.

I just wanted to get a word in. Please don’t mind me. I have nothing more to say in this thread.  :-X

Written By: mqg96 on 08/17/19 at 11:07 pm

You’re an early Zer. “Crash Team Racing” was new when you were 3 years old, but Crash was on his way out when you got a little older.

I only brought up generations because Sonic the Hedgehog was ours (Xennials) and Spyro was for late Millennials.

I just wanted to get a word in. Please don’t mind me. I have nothing more to say in this thread.  :-X

Mario Kart DS was new when one of my sisters was 2 1/2 and she played it regularly, so that's completely irrelevant. There were tons of people my age and younger who grew up with Crash Team Racing too. Crash Team Racing was played regularly throughout 1999-2003, and Crash Nitro Kart didn't come out until November 2003, same month Mario Kart Double Dash came out. I don't really care what you say, but you need to stop bulls**ting and trying to derail this thread with your agenda you had in the other thread in the 90's section.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/17/19 at 11:16 pm

Some people want them to bring Tag Team Racing assets into this game too, but others are like "No Tag Team Racing was trash, don't taint this one with it". ;D

For most people it's CTR (original) >>> CNK (Nitro Kart) >>>>>>> CTTR (Tag Team Racing).

and I can see why. CTR and CNK were similar with noticeable differences but CTTR felt like a completely different game. CTTR wasn't even a real Crash racing game, which is why outside of the characters, there was nothing special about CTTR's style of play at all. The only reason CNK was inferior to CTR is because CNK only had 3 courses per world instead of 4 courses per world like the original, and bosses weren't playable on CNK unlike the original. Other than that, CNK was just a different CTR with a different story, updated graphics and more futuristic looking tracks with anti-gravity sections (before Mario Kart 8 yep), but this CTR: NF remake removed all the anti-gravity sections for the CNK tracks and replaced it with new designs which are pretty cool. It's amazing how those who grew up with the original CTR, prefer a lot of the CNK tracks over the CTR tracks.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/19/19 at 12:25 pm

I'm one of the few people that liked both Team Racing and Tag Team Racing ;D. Team Racing was my sh!t when I was a kid in the early 2000s. Used to play that with me and my sisters on the PS1 back in the day 8).

Tag Team Racing was the sh!t in 4th grade. That and Twin Sanity in the mid 2000s were pretty dope. However, Nitro Kart was where stuff got real for me and my cousins back then. My one cousin had it on GameCube, and we all used to get pretty competitive.

Damn, the days of split-screen local multiplayer, oh how I truly miss it :\'(. Kart racers need to make a comeback!

Mario Kart DS was new when one of my sisters was 2 1/2 and she played it regularly, so that's completely irrelevant. There were tons of people my age and younger who grew up with Crash Team Racing too. Crash Team Racing was played regularly throughout 1999-2003, and Crash Nitro Kart didn't come out until November 2003, same month Mario Kart Double Dash came out. I don't really care what you say, but you need to stop bulls**ting and trying to derail this thread with your agenda you had in the other thread in the 90's section.

Ignore him man. Yeah Crash & Spyro was where it was at during the 5th generation, while Jak, Ratchet, & Sly was where it was during the 6th generation.

Check for new replies or respond here...