inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: PREDICTION: The 2020s will be a decade of major change.

Written By: 2012emo on 06/27/19 at 1:46 pm

I really believe that the next decade will be the first decade that's entirely different than the 20th century because the same thing happened in the 20th century. the 1900s and the 1910s are decades that are almost the exact same and are more or less an extension of the victorian era. Nothing major changed during those two decades and culture remained the same for the most part. It wasn't until the 1920s that 20th century culture really started shaping up. Jazz music replaced classical music, flapper culture took over, movies became mainstream and widespread, Art Deco replaced Victorian architecture, cars became the dominant form of transportation, air travel replaced ocean travel, and women were finally allowed to vote. It's the first decade that actually feels connected to the rest of the 20th century and not just an extension of the 19th century.

I've heard a lot of people say that the 00s and the 10s feel like they're just one big decade and I agree to some extent. There's small differences here and there especially in fashion and music but for the most part the two decades feel the same and like the 1900s and the 1910s, they also feel like extensions of the 20th century. The fact that we have the internet now is obviously a big difference from the last century but we still do everything else the exact same way we did the in the 20th century. People still dress the same way, listen to the same music, watch the same movies, play the same games, and buy the same things they bought in the 20th century.

But I believe that all of that will change in the 2020s. We're already seeing signs of change with things like VR & AR, driverless cars, 3D printing, and AI (robots basically) but none of those things are mainstream yet. The 2020s is also the first decade that will be ruled by a generation that wasn't even alive yet in the 20th century and don't know the world without internet.

Subject: Re: PREDICTION: The 2020s will be a decade of major change.

Written By: Emman on 06/27/19 at 1:58 pm

I really hope you're right.

Written By: GameXcaper on 06/27/19 at 4:23 pm

I made a post about this a while ago.

Written By: Dundee on 06/27/19 at 5:33 pm

I personally think the 2000s and 2010s are very distinct and different, and the only prediction that most likely would turned out correct is that in the 2020s people on here will whine about it not feeling too different from the 2010s.

Written By: 2012emo on 06/27/19 at 6:29 pm

I made a post about this a while ago.

I haven't been on here for long. Sorry!

I personally think the 2000s and 2010s are very distinct and different, and the only prediction that most likely would turned out correct is that in the 2020s people on here will whine about it not feeling too different from the 2010s.

In the grand scheme of things, this decade and the 2000s are pretty similar though. Almost everything we have now, we've had since the 2000s. But I do agree with your prediction.

Also one thing I forgot to mention is that the 2020s is the first decade with a proper name which sounds like a very minor thing but I think might have a small effect on culture.

Written By: mc98 on 06/27/19 at 7:30 pm

Isn't WW1 the real start of the 20th century? I doubt there will be huge changes in the next decade. Maybe in the late 2020s, it'll be completely removed from the 2010s.

Written By: Dundee on 06/27/19 at 8:05 pm

I haven't been on here for long. Sorry!In the grand scheme of things, this decade and the 2000s are pretty similar though. Almost everything we have now, we've had since the 2000s.

Similar in what? Obviously I'm not saying like one decade is the stone age and the next is a super ultra futuristic world, but still. They're complete opposites in fashion for one thing. Music is also noticeably different, even the "new sound" of 2009 has been irrelevant since 2013 which is the vast majority of this decade. Music/film/whatever consumerism are waayyy different, constrasting more so than any decade prior. And before I hear SMARTPHONES! Even the smartphones of 2009 are pretty basic (pretty much dumbphones in concept by nowadays' standards), nowhere near capable of doing what they were doing only a few years later, not to mention nowhere near as widespread.

Also, same things evolve throughout multiple decades, it's a normal thing. Hardly any can be put in a bubble and is fully independent of the others. 2000s and 2010s won't be lumped together in any concievable way.
People lumping the 1900s and the 1910s together are clearly historically ignorant and their opinions shall not be taken too seriously (like I dunno, the world war seems like pretty huge deal that seperates both decades?)

Written By: Mat1991 on 06/27/19 at 9:32 pm

It's called The New Twenties for a reason.  :D

Or it should be called that.  ::)

Written By: thisismelemon on 06/29/19 at 3:26 pm

Similar in what? Obviously I'm not saying like one decade is the stone age and the next is a super ultra futuristic world, but still. They're complete opposites in fashion for one thing. Music is also noticeably different, even the "new sound" of 2009 has been irrelevant since 2013 which is the vast majority of this decade. Music/film/whatever consumerism are waayyy different, constrasting more so than any decade prior. And before I hear SMARTPHONES! Even the smartphones of 2009 are pretty basic (pretty much dumbphones in concept by nowadays' standards), nowhere near capable of doing what they were doing only a few years later, not to mention nowhere near as widespread.

Also, same things evolve throughout multiple decades, it's a normal thing. Hardly any can be put in a bubble and is fully independent of the others. 2000s and 2010s won't be lumped together in any concievable way.
People lumping the 1900s and the 1910s together are clearly historically ignorant and their opinions shall not be taken too seriously (like I dunno, the world war seems like pretty huge deal that seperates both decades?)

I agree, if anything i think the 2000s is more similar to the 90s than it is to the 2010s

Written By: 2001 on 06/29/19 at 8:00 pm

I feel like the Internet, cellphones and computers in every home is enough to distinguish the early 21st century from the 20th. This century started on time you could say.

I can see where you're coming from when you say the 1920s ushered in the real 20th century, but I wouldn't take it as a guarantee that the 2020s will have a similar magnitude of change by virtue of it occurring 100 years after 1920.

Also I can't believe 1919 is 100 years old now. It is truly history. My grandpa would be a 100 years old if he were still alive. I still feel some hint of connection to that era.

Check for new replies or respond here...