inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: MUMBLE RAP NEEDS TO DIE!

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 06/29/19 at 3:14 am

Seriously, Trap is still ongoing??? Its the exact same trend in hip hop since 2015. Because of mumble rap, it killed hip hop. Not only that, but the whole music industry too! Trap songs are filled with bad influences like drugs, alcohol, killing, $3X etc. Seriously, this needs to stop! I've had it with the same generic beat over and over again, and this is all I hear. When I came out of my school hallways for the summer, I keep hearing mumble rap being played by lots of people! What is this piece of s***?! I've been hoping 2019 was gonna be a good year for music, I predicted too! But no! It's all emo pop and Trap music dominating the charts. EDM was killed off, and you know what genre killed it? Trap! Even pop is now getting elements from Trap music.

Now, I dont hate all Trap songs, there are a few I like from Drake, Juice WRLD, Lil Skies, etc. But those other 'lil' rappers like Lil Pump, Lil Xan, 6ix9ine, etc. are all about DRUGS. Music has hit its ultimate low in 2019, worst year in music, in history, in existence. Mumble rap will be remembered as the worst genre of all time, I'd rather listen to Avant Garde than this POS.

Subject: Re: TRAP MUSIC NEEDS TO DIE!

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 06/29/19 at 3:18 am

If you think mumble rap is on the decline, watch this.
lNBrG6uCpCY

Go to 3:32. That is so far, the worst song I ever heard for 2019. Yes, mumble rap is on the decline, if you compare it to 2018, and that theres less mumble rap in this video, but the decline is just starting, it's still extremely popular. The decline rate needs to accelerate, I'm sick and tired of this POS

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 06/29/19 at 3:30 am

How to be a contemporary mumble rapper (2019 edition)

Step 1. Have messy hair or dreadlocks
Step 2. Scribble your face and limbs with marker to make them look like tattoos
Step 3. Spend $500-1000 on luxury clothing from Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Supreme, etc.
Step 4. Put toothpaste on your mouth and try not to swallow it while mumbling
Step 5. Sign up for soundcloud and get your microphone
Step 6. Record your song by going like this: Aye, aye, aye, aye, yuh, oooh, SKRRT SKRRT, DRJRUEKSHEIRHFBFJDHKSURYEORHRKSLDHFKCJRJELEOEORHFNFIEKS

And that's how you become a mumble rapper! Now get lots of fans telling you you're 'talented' and 'inspiring'

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/29/19 at 4:38 am

Because of mumble rap, it killed hip hop.

That's what people said about hair metal 30-something years ago; "hair metal is killing rock", "it needs to die" etc. Then, in Late 1991, Nirvana had their massive breakthrough with "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and the pendulum swung towards alternative-rock. Something will come along and kill off Trap.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/29/19 at 5:39 am

I can't imagine people still using the term "mumble rap" in 2019.

Sorry, but it's clear that you don't listen to urban radio. Plenty of songs that don't fit your description of hip-hop.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/29/19 at 6:08 am

One, two, three and to da four.
Trap rap needs to be shown da door.
Ready to make its exit, so back on up
‘Cause you know we’re gonna rip it up

Gimme the microphone first an I promise i won’t mumble
Slur your words and you’ll be in big trouble

Gettin rid of that trap thang baby
Two trapped-out-out rappers goin crazy...

Written By: mc98 on 06/29/19 at 8:45 am

The Top 5 of the charts doesn't have a mumble rap song. Old Town Road is more Trap with Country influence, no mumblin at all. Plus, Lil Pump, 6ix9ine, and Lil Xan are all irrelevant, they already peaked in 2017/2018. The #1 song on Spotify right now is a Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello song.

Written By: Retrolover on 06/29/19 at 8:56 am

People who aren’t Millennials, Generation Zers, or Alphas could claim that all music needs to die. Why stop with Trap?

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/29/19 at 11:46 am

People who aren’t Millennials, Generation Zers, or Alphas could claim that all music needs to die. Why stop with Trap?

No need to.  Whatever replaces trap will eventually devolve into suckdom, and we’ll eventually want to get rid of it too.

At least Disco had a definitive end... During Disco Demolition Night at Comiskey Park on July 12, 1979.  8)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/29/19 at 12:28 pm

I don't understand this statement at all. People who are not Millennials, Gen Z or Alphas think music must die? That we should live in a world completely devoid of music? A world of silence? I never heard THAT theory before. How odd.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 06/29/19 at 12:35 pm

The Top 5 of the charts doesn't have a mumble rap song. Old Town Road is more Trap with Country influence, no mumblin at all. Plus, Lil Pump, 6ix9ine, and Lil Xan are all irrelevant, they already peaked in 2017/2018. The #1 song on Spotify right now is a Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello song.

I understand, I do like Old Town Road, it's just the other Trap songs piss me off, yes mumble rap is on the decline, but its not dead yet, as shown in the video. All I'm trying to say is that mumble rap needs to die faster

Written By: Retrolover on 06/29/19 at 12:49 pm

I don't understand this statement at all. People who are not Millennials, Gen Z or Alphas think music must die? That we should live in a world completely devoid of music? A world of silence? I never heard THAT theory before. How odd.

Personally, I’m not a fan of modern music.

Not a world of silence, per say. It would be so much greater to me if music from the 70s, 80s, and 90s were played on the radio.

Written By: Howard on 06/29/19 at 2:36 pm

And don't forget us Generation Xers, we need to go back to music that could be understood.

Written By: Retrolover on 06/29/19 at 3:29 pm

And don't forget us Generation Xers, we need to go back to music that could be understood.

I can understand the lyrics to the singles being released today, but it doesn’t compare to the songs of the 70s, 80s, and 90s. My parents probably thought the same thing of the music enjoy when it was new in the 80s and 90s.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/29/19 at 4:05 pm

Weren't you born in 2004? It's just super funny to me. When I was around your age in 2009, I had the same sentiment towards music back then. Instead of trap, I was saying "AUTOTUNE MUST DIE!" All the autotune (in both pop & rap music), electropop, dance, and edm music was driving me mad. Like literally gave me headaches from the repetitive beats. I actually gave up on radio and didn't consistently start listening to it again until 2016. Yup, I was that scorn by that era and I wasn't a fan of some of the changes that were happening in 2009 & 2010. I expressed those sentiments a lot but I actually liked a lot of music from that era, they just didn't fall into the category of those listed above. What I'm saying is, even though you hate this era at the moment, you'll probably still look back at it with rose-colored glasses 10 years from now.

Written By: LooseBolt on 06/29/19 at 4:31 pm

No need to.  Whatever replaces trap will eventually devolve into suckdom, and we’ll eventually want to get rid of it too.

At least Disco had a definitive end... During Disco Demolition Night at Comiskey Park on July 12, 1979.  8)

Oh yes, let’s absolutely replicate an event that was inspired by bigotry (it was a bunch of people complaining that disco was “gay” and nonwhite). That sounds like how I want the death of a genre to be remembered.

Although I guess that’s generally par for the course for Americans these days.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/29/19 at 4:46 pm

Oh yes, let’s absolutely replicate an event that was inspired by bigotry (it was a bunch of people complaining that disco was “gay” and nonwhite).

Doubtful it was due to the gayness of disco or the “non whiteness”. Michael Clarke Duncan (black dude from The Green Mile) was one of the revelers at Comiskey that night.

Gay? Saturday Night Fever, the apex of the disco era, had a straight story line.  Far as I know, neither the Bee Gees nor Andrea True not Yvonne Elliman (just to name a few purveyors of the suckfest that was disco) were homosexuals.

Disco demolition night happened because disco sucked. Otherwise, it would have prevailed and even now people would be doing those line dances in bell bottoms and faux silk shirts.  ;D

Fact of the matter is that disco just sucked. If disco=gay, it would be all the rage in 2019.  ;D

Written By: LooseBolt on 06/29/19 at 5:01 pm

Doubtful it was due to the gayness of disco or the “non whiteness”. Michael Clarke Duncan (black dude from The Green Mile) was one of the revelers at Comiskey that night.

Gay? Saturday Night Fever, the apex of the disco era, had a straight story line.  Far as I know, neither the Bee Gees nor Andrea True not Yvonne Elliman (just to name a few purveyors of the suckfest that was disco) were homosexuals.

Disco demolition night happened because disco sucked. Otherwise, it would have prevailed and even now people would be doing those line dances in bell bottoms and faux silk shirts.  ;D

Fact of the matter is that disco just sucked.

In the years since Disco Demolition Night, some social critics have described the backlash as implicitly macho and bigoted, and an attack on non-white and non-heterosexual cultures. The backlash also made its way into US politics with the election of conservative Ronald Reagan in 1980 which also led to Republican control of the United States Senate for the first time since 1954, plus the subsequent rise of the Religious Right around the same time.

In January 1979, rock critic Robert Christgau argued that homophobia, and most likely racism, were reasons behind the backlash, a conclusion seconded by John Rockwell. Craig Werner wrote: "The Anti-disco movement represented an unholy alliance of funkateers and feminists, progressives and puritans, rockers and reactionaries. Nonetheless, the attacks on disco gave respectable voice to the ugliest kinds of unacknowledged racism, sexism and homophobia." Legs McNeil, founder of the fanzine Punk, was quoted in an interview as saying, "the hippies always wanted to be black. We were going, 'f**k the blues, f**k the black experience'." He also said that disco was the result of an "unholy" union between homosexuals and blacks.

Also disco did survive in some form or another. We have dance music now, nu disco, EDM.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/29/19 at 5:23 pm

Oh yes, let’s absolutely replicate an event that was inspired by bigotry (it was a bunch of people complaining that disco was “gay” and nonwhite). That sounds like how I want the death of a genre to be remembered.

That's not quite how it was. When disco started out in underground dance clubs in places like New York it was almost exclusively the territory of African Americans and gay men. But by 1979 there was nothing more mainstream in America than disco. That means white. And heterosexual. Among all the rest. By the way, in today's terms that would be considered "cultural appropriation", but such a concept was unheard of in 1979. People (myself included) hated disco because they legitimate did not like the music and it was disturbing to see it overtake virtually everything. Not to say there wasn't racism and homophobia going on. But the racists and homophobes had bigger things on their minds than disco. The late 70s was the heyday of star homophbe Anita Bryant. Look her up if you are not familiar.  It's not disco she was going after. She was getting legislation enacted. No, people disliked disco because it just plain wasn't to their taste. It just plain sucked.

Written By: ItsMichael on 06/29/19 at 8:29 pm

I agree. Trap really needs to die at some point. I really hope that either next year or two years from now the genre will officially be dead, but I don't think that's going to happen or at least that's what I think.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 06/30/19 at 12:57 am

I agree. Trap really needs to die at some point. I really hope that either next year or two years from now the genre will officially be dead, but I don't think that's going to happen or at least that's what I think.

If it does happen, I'm gonna die!  >:(

Written By: Dundee on 06/30/19 at 6:57 am

Disco didn't even die in 1979 lol. Not only did it morphed into EDM with styles like Chicago House developing indepently in clubs afterwards (and EDM got pretty huge, didn't it?), but it actually came back into the mainstream in the mid-to-late 80s under the form of styles like "Hi-NRG" and, in Europe specifically, "Italo-Disco".
xJZF-skCY-M
KpZpvo4rQAE

And thereafter besides 70s Funk and Soul, 70s Disco was also one of most sampled genres in Hip Hop: Will Smith's "Gettin Jiggy Wit It" sampled Sister Sledge's "He's the Greatest Dancer", Notorious B.I.G.'s "Mo Money Mo Problems" sampled Diana Ross' "I'm Coming Out", Tana Gaarder's "Heartbrat" was sampled in Ini Kamoze's "Here Comes the Hotstepper", and so on.

Disco had a huuugggee legacy after the backlash.

Written By: Dundee on 06/30/19 at 7:10 am

Also these "Trap needs to die" threads seriously need to die.

It's like the fourth of fifth this year alone, it's getting tiring.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/30/19 at 10:46 am

Also these "Trap needs to die" threads seriously need to die.

It's like the fourth of fifth this year alone, it's getting tiring.

Perhaps Trapology threads should be banned? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/30/19 at 10:49 am

Michael Clarke Duncan (black dude from The Green Mile) was one of the revelers at Comiskey that night.

Here’s a passage from MCD’s Wikipedia page...

In 1979, he participated in the Disco Demolition Night at Comiskey Park, home of the Chicago White Sox, where he was among the first 100 people to run onto the field and he slid into third base. During the ensuing riot his silver belt buckle was stolen while he was stealing a baseball bat from the dugout.

;D

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/30/19 at 11:59 am

I don't like a lot of trap music but I've noticed it has diminished quite a bit on the Billboard 100. It's definitely still a force tho.

Written By: Howard on 06/30/19 at 2:21 pm

So you want people to start a fire by throwing their old CDs onto a baseball field and watch them blow it up?  :o

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/30/19 at 2:58 pm

So you want people to start a fire by throwing their old CDs onto a baseball field and watch them blow it up?  :o

If they’re Trap CD’s, yeah.

Written By: ItsMichael on 06/30/19 at 3:02 pm

I don't like a lot of trap music but I've noticed it has diminished quite a bit on the Billboard 100. It's definitely still a force tho.
The only trap song that I know of that is on the Billboard 100 is Old Town Road which in my opinion I don't mind seeing how its lighter than most trap songs because it's mixed with country. I only see trap music on YouTube's trending page.

Written By: LooseBolt on 06/30/19 at 3:14 pm

All of that was dripping with sarcasm, in case you couldn't tell. Disco is far from my favorite musical genre, but the viscerally violent response it received is more indicative of how sheeshty its haters were than how bad the music itself was.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/30/19 at 4:02 pm

All of that was dripping with sarcasm, in case you couldn't tell. Disco is far from my favorite musical genre, but the viscerally violent response it received is more indicative of how sheeshty its haters were than how bad the music itself was.

I think you're putting too much emphasis on that Disco Demolition Night nonsense which was nothing more than a radio station promo gone awry. It's not like disco suddenly stopped for good that night or anything. Back in the late 70s I never noticed any violence against disco, but I did see some disco people getting violent against punks. In the city I was living in all the suburban disco people would come into the city on the weekends to go to discos. There was a punk club across the street from one of the big discos and these suburban disco people would repeatedly beat on the punks coming out of the club. The police finally had to do something about it.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 06/30/19 at 4:22 pm

I think a Trap Demolition Night would be too much, but backlash on billboards or ads, and Twitter pages from other celebrities would be good enough. I dont want another chaotic event like that haha

Written By: Retrolover on 06/30/19 at 5:01 pm

Trap rap will die out sometime in the 2020s. Then, yet another crappy musical style will come along that makes Gen Alphas nostalgic for trap rap. You know the rest…The 20 year cycle will happen for the crowd that loves the 2010s and trap rap will be new for the generation after the Alphas.

Written By: Emman on 06/30/19 at 8:08 pm

Fact of the matter is that disco just sucked. If disco=gay, it would be all the rage in 2019.  ;D

I don't understand all the disco hate, was some of the music generic and overplayed during its heyday, yes but there was genuinely good disco music, better than a lot of rock too.

Love's theme by Barry white and love orchestra unlimited is one of the most romantic and sensual songs ever created, Nile Rodgers and Daft Punk recently brought the disco sound back. There's been numerous disco revivals since the early '90s so the music does have some perennial appeal across generations.

Written By: Howard on 07/01/19 at 5:26 am

If they’re Trap CD’s, yeah.

I don't think so in today's world but you never know.

Written By: Howard on 07/01/19 at 5:28 am

I think a Trap Demolition Night would be too much, but backlash on billboards or ads, and Twitter pages from other celebrities would be good enough. I dont want another chaotic event like that haha

One is enough.

Written By: 2001 on 07/01/19 at 8:03 am

I don't understand all the disco hate, was some of the music generic and overplayed during its heyday, yes but there was genuinely good disco music, better than a lot of rock too.

Love's theme by Barry white and love orchestra unlimited is one of the most romantic and sensual songs ever created, Nile Rodgers and Daft Punk recently brought the disco sound back. There's been numerous disco revivals since the early '90s so the music does have some perennial appeal across generations.

I agree, I really like disco. There were some great nu-disco albums out this decade.

Written By: karen on 07/01/19 at 11:38 am

Not sure this is even a thing in the UK.  My 17 year old son hadn't heard of it

Written By: 2001 on 07/01/19 at 11:43 am

Not sure this is even a thing in the UK.  My 17 year old son hadn't heard of it

I hadn't heard about trap until joining this forum either. I still don't even know what it's supposed to be but I think it's rap with heavy bass and a lot of percussion and electronic instruments.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 07/01/19 at 6:06 pm

I agree, I really like disco. There were some great nu-disco albums out this decade.

Yeah, disco is fun! But when people say Trap is the new disco, I feel offended. EDM, or electropop is the disco of the 2010s, Trap isn't

Written By: Emman on 07/02/19 at 12:05 am

I hadn't heard about trap until joining this forum either. I still don't even know what it's supposed to be but I think it's rap with heavy bass and a lot of percussion and electronic instruments.

I first heard about trap music around 2003, that was over 16 years ago. :o

Longer than some posters on this forum have been alive.

Written By: 2001 on 07/02/19 at 12:23 am

I first heard about trap music around 2003, that was over 16 years ago. :o

Longer than some posters on this forum have been alive.

Tbf I didn't even know what snap rap or crunk rap were either until I joined this forum. It was just rap to me ;D (I still don't know the difference ;D)

Written By: Slim95 on 07/02/19 at 1:52 am

I can understand the lyrics to the singles being released today, but it doesn’t compare to the songs of the 70s, 80s, and 90s. My parents probably thought the same thing of the music enjoy when it was new in the 80s and 90s.

Music has definitely been getting progressively worse as the years go by. Even the worst song from the '90s is better than an average song from the 2010s. It has definitely been declining. Less creativity going on and society in general being too liberal (not in a good way) made for worse music. There's no way you can have a cool rebellious song anymore like you had in the 1980s, because they are all washed up and "rebellious" now.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/02/19 at 1:54 am

OP I agree, it needs to die. I think it is starting to decline, but far from dead. I would give it until 2021 until trap is non-existent and completely dead from the mainstream. Maybe even earlier like a year from now.

Written By: Howard on 07/02/19 at 5:31 am

I like the old school disco music.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/02/19 at 9:57 am

Music has definitely been getting progressively worse as the years go by. Even the worst song from the '90s is better than an average song from the 2010s. It has definitely been declining. Less creativity going on and society in general being too liberal (not in a good way) made for worse music. There's no way you can have a cool rebellious song anymore like you had in the 1980s, because they are all washed up and "rebellious" now.

More groups like early Odd Future is the answer to this. I still think they are ahead of their time. I'm hoping lots of kids destined to be producers/rapper are getting inspired by them.

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/02/19 at 9:50 pm

Tyler is definitely strongest rapper in the game.

Written By: 2012emo on 07/03/19 at 2:47 pm

Is mumble rap even a thing anymore? I honestly can't remember the last mumble rap song I've heard.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 07/11/19 at 6:36 pm

Tbf I didn't even know what snap rap or crunk rap were either until I joined this forum. It was just rap to me ;D (I still don't know the difference ;D)
Most people outside the states don't understand rap. I always distinguished rap by regional sounds since hip-hop was very regional back in the day with east coast, down south, midwest and west coast rap. Trap would be classified as southern rap since it originated from the south (Atlanta).

Written By: ItsMichael on 07/11/19 at 9:29 pm

Is mumble rap even a thing anymore? I honestly can't remember the last mumble rap song I've heard.
I agree. Artists like Lil Pump and 6ix9ine aren't relevant as of right now. Kodak still kinda relevant I guess but as of right now, I haven't heard any mumble rap songs that either hit the charts or been internationally known this year.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/11/19 at 9:39 pm

Bruh people have been complaining about the current music for years lol. We almost in the 2020s decade so it probably won’t be relevant five years from now.

Written By: Howard on 07/12/19 at 7:19 am

Most people outside the states don't understand rap. I always distinguished rap by regional sounds since hip-hop was very regional back in the day with east coast, down south, midwest and west coast rap. Trap would be classified as southern rap since it originated from the south (Atlanta).

I understood rap when rap had lyrics you could understand, but now I can't understand what they're even singing about cause they rap way too fast.

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/12/19 at 8:49 am

Bruh people have been complaining about the current music for years lol. We almost in the 2020s decade so it probably won’t be relevant five years from now.

People have been complaining about “music these days” since Frank Sinatra. Probably earlier than that. And it’s always the same complaints, and nobody ever seems to be satisfied when something new turns up.

Written By: J. Rob on 07/12/19 at 10:34 am

People have been complaining about “music these days” since Frank Sinatra. Probably earlier than that. And it’s always the same complaints, and nobody ever seems to be satisfied when something new turns up.

I think music has been getting worse since the mid 2000s, and people (including myself) who complain before then just didn't know how good we had it.

I also think music as a whole has been declining since the 80s, but was still good up until about 2004-ish

Written By: Slim95 on 07/12/19 at 1:03 pm

I think music has been getting worse since the mid 2000s, and people (including myself) who complain before then just didn't know how good we had it.

I also think music as a whole has been declining since the 80s, but was still good up until about 2004-ish

I agree.

Written By: Dundee on 07/12/19 at 1:44 pm

And then new music will come up, whine whine whine "people who complained in the 2010s just didn't know how good we had it", rince and repeat.

::) ::) ::)

Written By: Slim95 on 07/12/19 at 2:03 pm

And then new music will come up, whine whine whine "people who complained in the 2010s just didn't know how good we had it", rince and repeat.

If music gets worse yes of course that's what we'll do. Hard to imagine music getting worse than it is right now but it's possible.

Written By: Howard on 07/12/19 at 3:01 pm

That's why there's no medium.

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/12/19 at 8:32 pm

Pretty much. It's laughably predictable at this point.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 07/13/19 at 2:07 am

But to be honest, I think mumble rap has been the worst genre in history. Its unmotivating, trash, gibberish, and pathetic. It's like these rappers making money off nothing but putting a blob of toothpaste In their tounge and try to speak without touching it!

Some people were like that too with electropop, but what did electropop have? Fun, happy beats, escape from depression or anxiety to party, and motivation. Mumble rap doesnt have any of those, and if you think mumble rap is motivating and serves as an escape from personal problems, then Idk what to say...

Mumble rap is all about drugs, sex, killing, flexing on the homeless, having no talent, acting stupid yet having fake dignity, destruction of hip hop, and lots more. There aren't any good things about mumble rap whatsoever. If you think there is a good thing about it, let me know, but lyrics are 95% about bad influences brainwashing headphone users.

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/13/19 at 7:25 am

I hated electropop at the time it was popular. My golden age was around 2013 to 2016, when electropop was dying off and Bruno Mars started getting big. It was like a flush of creativity into traditional, R&B-style pop. Also Lorde. Electropop all sounded the same to me, and worst of all, it all sounded so artificial.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/13/19 at 3:18 pm

No, it isn't. Trap & "mumble rap" are not the same thing. And if someone says that all trap isn't motivational or that it has no substance, they are waaay out of line.

I hated electropop at the time it was popular. My golden age was around 2013 to 2016, when electropop was dying off and Bruno Mars started getting big. It was like a flush of creativity into traditional, R&B-style pop. Also Lorde. Electropop all sounded the same to me, and worst of all, it all sounded so artificial.

I agree. Electropop sounded extremely childish to me, like a bunch of lame Disney Channel songs; or something that belonged on Myspace.

I loved the Bruno Mars, revamped Childish Gambino, Tropical House era, etc of the mid 2010s (circa late 2015 - early 2017).

Written By: Slim95 on 07/13/19 at 3:21 pm

I hated electropop but I hate trap too. I would say I hate both about equally.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 07/13/19 at 3:46 pm

Electropop was fun, motivating, and served as a way to get through the great depression. Mumble rap isn't any of that.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/13/19 at 6:24 pm

Electropop was fun, motivating, and served as a way to get through the great depression. Mumble rap isn't any of that.

To me it wasn't fun it was annoying. All the songs sounded the same and autotune was heavily used.

Written By: Howard on 07/14/19 at 2:28 pm

To me it wasn't fun it was annoying. All the songs sounded the same and autotune was heavily used.

funk and disco needs to come back.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/17/19 at 9:14 pm

I've been keeping an eye on the billboard 100 lately and man...

I have absolutely no idea where music is heading. The billboard seems stuck or something. There's nothing really new and exciting on the billboard 100. Absolutely nothing that foreshadows something fresh.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/17/19 at 9:46 pm

I've been keeping an eye on the billboard 100 lately and man...

I have absolutely no idea where music is heading. The billboard seems stuck or something. There's nothing really new and exciting on the billboard 100. Absolutely nothing that foreshadows something fresh.

Yeah it's been that way for several years now. Music is very dark and has been since 2016. Nothing but trap on the radio mainly. There has to be a change coming soon. 2020 must be the year of big transformative cultural change.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 07/18/19 at 12:50 am

I understood rap when rap had lyrics you could understand, but now I can't understand what they're even singing about cause they rap way too fast.
rap was easy to understand for me up until the mid 10s.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 07/18/19 at 12:56 am

Yeah it's been that way for several years now. Music is very dark and has been since 2016. Nothing but trap on the radio mainly. There has to be a change coming soon. 2020 must be the year of big transformative cultural change.

Agreed, like, can't we have something freaking new?!  >:(

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/18/19 at 5:31 am

Want something new? Then don't be slaves to the top 40s. There's all sorts of new sheesh going on on the internet.

Written By: Dundee on 07/18/19 at 9:31 am

I'd say 2011-2015 was the golden age to me when it comes to Pop creativity this decade. Indie influences and the explosion of the House scene allowed for a bust of quirkiness and desire for innovation.

2016 was when extremely lazy chord progressions and dinky dark synths invaded Pop music, all lazily shoved in and it was more or less a wash. It's really when it all sounded to me. 2017 and especially 2018 (being the peak of Trap experimentation) were definite improvements though.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 07/18/19 at 7:29 pm

Want something new? Then don't be slaves to the top 40s. There's all sorts of new sheesh going on on the internet.

I know this may sound Ironic but I've been listening to Late 90s/Early 2000s hits to survive the Trapocalypse. Yes, it's old, but Teen Pop, Pop R&B (TLC, Jlo, Destinys Child), and other genres are far more creative than Trap, and has meaningful messages. Mumble rap isn't any of that.

Besides that, I know I'm trying not to listen to Trap music nowadays, but when I go on Snapchat or Instagram, I keep hearing them playing dumb Trap music in the background, it's annoying! Pretty hard to avoid!

Written By: mqg96 on 07/18/19 at 7:31 pm

I'd say 2011-2015 was the golden age to me when it comes to Pop creativity this decade. Indie influences and the explosion of the House scene allowed for a bust of quirkiness and desire for innovation.

2016 was when extremely lazy chord progressions and dinky dark synths invaded Pop music, all lazily shoved in and it was more or less a wash. It's really when it all sounded to me.

This is definitely fair. I can agree with this. 2016 was painful unmemorable for all kinds of music honestly. 2013 being the peak of the 2011-2015 period makes a lot of sense.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 08/14/19 at 9:03 am

To those who think mumble rap is dead, listen to this piece of s***:

0GbwYFqN1iE

Subject: Re: MUMBLE RAP NEEDS TO DIE!

Written By: 80sfan on 08/17/19 at 1:16 am

To me, the worst era for music was 2005 to 2010. I actually think music is pasts its worst. I know I'm in the minority perhaps, but I prefer music from 2019 rather than 2014 to 2017!

For those of you saying that music is stagnant right now; This isn't the first time in history. Before Rock and Roll became huge around 1955, from 1945 to 1955, some people thought that music was just 'watered down' and stale compared to the 1920's and 1930's. They were searching for a 'new sound'. Not everyone was into Big Band, LMAO.

Maybe we'll have better music in 2030!

Written By: Retrolover on 08/17/19 at 9:30 am

Give it until late 2021 or 2022 and Zers will be done with mumble rap.

Written By: xenzue on 08/18/19 at 1:04 am

Mumble rap is barely charting now. The only song that’s big rn that might be considered Mumble rap is by Lil Tecca, but it’s really not mumble rap at all. The generation of soundcloud rappers from 2016-2018 is practically dead now. Idk what y’all are talking about

Written By: 2012emo on 08/28/19 at 9:17 am

To those who think mumble rap is dead, listen to this piece of s***:

0GbwYFqN1iE

I mean sure obviously it's still being made but it's not really charting as much as it was a while ago anymore.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/28/19 at 12:50 pm

2010’s BAD

MUMBLE RAP BAD

TRAP BAD

SMARTPHONES BAD

SOCIAL MEDIA BAD

“LIL” RAPPERS BAD

2010’s FASHION BAD

2000’s AND BEFORE GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: Slim95 on 08/28/19 at 11:17 pm

I mean sure obviously it's still being made but it's not really charting as much as it was a while ago anymore.

Very, very little difference though. Old Town Road is still number 3 and a bunch of other are in the top 20.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 08/29/19 at 2:52 am

Yes, mumble rap is on the decline, but Its still popular and the decline is slow.

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/29/19 at 10:53 am

2010’s BAD

MUMBLE RAP BAD

TRAP BAD

SMARTPHONES BAD

SOCIAL MEDIA BAD

“LIL” RAPPERS BAD

2010’s FASHION BAD

2000’s AND BEFORE GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These same people complaining about how bad every aspect of the decade is and has been, and how they can't wait for the 2020s to change everything, are going to be complaining 6 years from now about how terrible the 2020s are and they wish they had mumble rap and hipsters again.

Written By: Kid of the 2000s on 08/29/19 at 2:41 pm

Give it until late 2021 or 2022 and Zers will be done with mumble rap.

Everyone here thinks things are simply pop culture trends like we witnessed in the 80s 70s 60s etc, guess they didn't get the memo that this 21st century where things either drop by the weigh side to never come back or they stick around indifenetly, Trap broke into the mainstream in the mid 00s and will still be with us in the mainstream in the mid 30's, MUMBLE RAP IS THAT, TRAP IS THAT, it may sound different from the mid 00s trap sound due to more modern production technoques sure , BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY ITS STILL TRAP, tell me I'm lying, again the 21st has new rules to the 20th century, you need to know this and except it so you don't wind up disappointed FACTS, and the more we go into this new century the more apparent it is becoming

Written By: Slim95 on 08/29/19 at 3:57 pm

Everyone here thinks things are simply pop culture trends like we witnessed in the 80s 70s 60s etc, guess they didn't get the memo that this 21st century where things either drop by the weigh side to never come back or they stick around indifenetly, Trap broke into the mainstream in the mid 00s and will still be with us in the mainstream in the mid 30's, MUMBLE RAP IS THAT, TRAP IS THAT, it may sound different from the mid 00s trap sound due to more modern production technoques sure , BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY ITS STILL TRAP, tell me I'm lying, again the 21st has new rules to the 20th century, you need to know this and except it so you don't wind up disappointed FACTS, and the more we go into this new century the more apparent it is becoming

Nah trap will die soon. I agree with you it's different in the 21st century.

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/29/19 at 8:39 pm

I do have to admit, our culture has looked very consistent on a meta level since the ‘80s. It’s what I call the timeless time of Reaganite neoliberalism.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/29/19 at 8:54 pm

Yup and I think there won't be many changes in the upcoming decades. We are back to the 19th century pace of change. Which makes sense because of the internet, it's really hard to top that. The internet boom was like the peak of transformations in pop culture, in the grand scheme of things ever since then we didn't have anything else to change anything or to top it. Only inventions that use a variation of the internet.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/29/19 at 9:10 pm

Yup and I think there won't be many changes in the upcoming decades. We are back to the 19th century pace of change. Which makes sense because of the internet, it's really hard to top that. The internet boom was like the peak of transformations in pop culture, in the grand scheme of things ever since then we didn't have anything else to change anything or to top it. Only inventions that use a variation of the internet.

So kind of like "change within the changeless"?

Written By: Slim95 on 08/29/19 at 9:29 pm

So kind of like "change within the changeless"?

I think so. 

Written By: Slim95 on 08/29/19 at 10:31 pm

The problem is the songs are really bad now. A couple years ago bubblegum trap was also popular (Like the song iSpy by Kyle) and that sounded better than the songs we have today. There was also more diversity in rap a couple years ago and they didn't all sound the same with the same boring trap beat. The genre needs to die it has overstayed its welcome now.

Written By: xenzue on 08/30/19 at 12:39 am

Very, very little difference though. Old Town Road is still number 3 and a bunch of other are in the top 20.

I don't think that's true at all,,

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/pop-is-crushing-hip-hop-study-taylor-swift-drake-1203313713/

The number of new hip-hop songs reaching the Top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 is dropping dramatically in 2019 as opposed to last year, according to “The State of the Hot 100 Top Ten,” a quarterly analysis of the compositional and industry trends issued by analysts Hit Songs Deconstructed.

While the study looks at just one element of the charts and year-to-year trends will be clearer in the full 2019 report, the drop in hip-hop is striking: Of the second quarter’s 15 new arrivals in the Top 10, just 34% were hip-hop as opposed to 60% last year — a drop of some 26% — while the percentage of pop new arrivals more than doubled to 49% from 23%. R&B/soul remained at 11% while other genres were 3% or below. The arrival of two new songs from Taylor Swift and one each from BTS and Ava Max certainly strengthened the pop category in Q2, although two new songs each from Drake and Khalid bolstered hip-hop and R&B, respectively.

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/30/19 at 5:30 am

Changeless change is really lame, not to mention really unhealthy. No wonder we get these reactionary forces today.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/31/19 at 1:09 am

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/pop-is-crushing-hip-hop-study-taylor-swift-drake-1203313713/

It's better than 2018 that's for sure. A lot of people don't get I love rap and it's my favourite genre. But I HATE trap with a passion, it's my least favourite genre. It may sound like an oxymoron but it isn't because that noise trap music has is not rap... In fact it even ruined the face of hip hop. I like real rap with old school beats.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 08/31/19 at 2:10 am

It's better than 2018 that's for sure. A lot of people don't get I love rap and it's my favourite genre. But I HATE trap with a passion, it's my least favourite genre. It may sound like an oxymoron but it isn't because that noise trap music has is not rap... In fact it even ruined the face of hip hop. I like real rap with old school beats.

Same, If I listen to anything hip hop, I listen to R&B or old school hip hop BUT mumble rap.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/08/19 at 1:16 pm

I agree. Rap is noticeably on the decline. Trap is definitely the top genre in rap and on the charts but pop is definitely making a comeback. I think we might be in for a less rap dominated decade. Makes sense as that would be a proper decade backlash to the 2010s. 

Written By: Slim95 on 09/08/19 at 1:39 pm

I agree. Rap is noticeably on the decline. Trap is definitely the top genre in rap and on the charts but pop is definitely making a comeback. I think we might be in for a less rap dominated decade. Makes sense as that would be a proper decade backlash to the 2010s.

The decline is very slow though. We may still here some trap songs in a year from now. All the new ones getting released still chart fairly high.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 09/12/19 at 5:59 pm

Yeah, mumble rap is still a big thing in 2019. Thotiana by Blueface, that's mumble rap, Baby by Lil Baby, that's mumble rap, NBA Yungboy, hes a mumble rapper, literally mumble rap is still around in the top 10 too! And plus, we have had the same old beat since 2013, it sounded awesome at first, but now it's getting irritating, and thinking that putting toothpaste on your tongue and speaking gibberish is cool, it's not! Everywhere I go to some popular groups in my school, they play mumble rap still!  >:( >:( >:(

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 09/12/19 at 6:05 pm

I remember in 2013-14 listening to Iggy Azalea's work, and Early Trap songs, thinking, ohh, that's kinda cool! But then around 2017/18 it got so old that I wanted to rant about Trap music for 1 minute straight.

Written By: piecesof93 on 09/12/19 at 9:03 pm

Yeah, mumble rap is still a big thing in 2019. Thotiana by Blueface, that's mumble rap, Baby by Lil Baby, that's mumble rap, NBA Yungboy, hes a mumble rapper, literally mumble rap is still around in the top 10 too! And plus, we have had the same old beat since 2013, it sounded awesome at first, but now it's getting irritating, and thinking that putting toothpaste on your tongue and speaking gibberish is cool, it's not! Everywhere I go to some popular groups in my school, they play mumble rap still!  >:( >:( >:(

Most of those people are not "mumble" rappers, especially NBA. 

Are you really out here throwing that around as a blanket term to describe trap and rap music you don't like?

https://media.giphy.com/media/EsmlrgWNx5v0Y/giphy.gif

Written By: Slim95 on 09/12/19 at 9:11 pm

The only type of trap music I can tolerate is bubblegum trap. Stuff from Kyle like the song "iSpy" from 2017. Big shame bubblegum trap was not popular and instead we had unlistenable music.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 09/12/19 at 10:30 pm

I think that it will be ongoing for the early 20’s too unfortunately. Maybe by 2022/2023 it will start to die.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/12/19 at 10:47 pm

I think that it will be ongoing for the early 20’s too unfortunately. Maybe by 2022/2023 it will start to die.

In hip hop in general probably but not in mainstream music. What will happen is rap will take a break from the mainstream and replaced by something else. But in the genre it will still be trap mostly. Then in the mid to late 2020s, rap will come back into the mainstream with a brand new fresh sound that is better and completely different and replace trap (this new genre will have its roots in the early '20s). But for the mainstream music charts, trap will be completely wiped out by this time of next year along will rap music in general and replaced with another genre in the mainstream. Mark my words.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 09/13/19 at 2:00 pm

In hip hop in general probably but not in mainstream music. What will happen is rap will take a break from the mainstream and replaced by something else. But in the genre it will still be trap mostly. Then in the mid to late 2020s, rap will come back into the mainstream with a brand new fresh sound that is better and completely different and replace trap (this new genre will have its roots in the early '20s). But for the mainstream music charts, trap will be completely wiped out by this time of next year along will rap music in general and replaced with another genre in the mainstream. Mark my words.

Do you think we’d ever get a new genre of music or do you think genres are dying ? I also feel like rap will die out especially trap. We may get a new sub genre of rap tho hopefully. I really hope we get a new genre, I feel like we’re lacking so much creativity 😭

Written By: Slim95 on 09/13/19 at 3:03 pm

Do you think we’d ever get a new genre of music or do you think genres are dying ? I also feel like rap will die out especially trap. We may get a new sub genre of rap tho hopefully. I really hope we get a new genre, I feel like we’re lacking so much creativity 😭

In the mainstream, rap will die out if trap dies out. It is never the same genre with a different sound it would be weird then. But I think there will be new sounds and genres. And in the far future like in 10 years a new sound of rap will come and sound nothing like trap. The whole lo-fi thing people talk about sounds really similar to trap to me and modern and not different. It will be something else.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/13/19 at 7:54 pm

Mumbe rap and trap is one of the reasons I really miss the 2010s. The mid 2010s was a pretty good time for pop culture, especially compared to now. Felt like there was way more creativity and diversity in music and not just trap but some pop too. Was there trap and mumble rap in the mid 2010s (2014 and 2015)? Absolutely. But nowhere near as much as now and it wasn't the only thing on the charts. Trap is still very dominant, even if it may be slowly declining. It's still very, very big right now more than ever before.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 09/14/19 at 2:07 am

Mumbe rap and trap is one of the reasons I really miss the 2010s. The mid 2010s was a pretty good time for pop culture, especially compared to now. Felt like there was way more creativity and diversity in music and not just trap but some pop too. Was there trap and mumble rap in the mid 2010s (2014 and 2015)? Absolutely. But nowhere near as much as now and it wasn't the only thing on the charts. Trap is still very dominant, even if it may be slowly declining. It's still very, very big right now more than ever before.

Exactly what I'm trying to say, mumble rap is slowly declining, but how slow? VERY SLOW, it's just like a 10% drop, but that's it. I do disagree however with "Theres not much mumble rap in 2014-15," I remember when OT Genesis, Fetty Wap, Future, Rae Sremmurd, Rich Homie Quan, Chief Keef, etc. They were very big in 2015, and I remember them rapidly rising in popularity around September 2014, and ohh boy it was weird. At first, I didnt mind it and I thought it was funny, but around mid-2015, it got really annoying. We didnt call it mumble rap though, we just simply called it "Bad Rap Songs," for Early Mumble Rap.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/14/19 at 2:50 am

Exactly what I'm trying to say, mumble rap is slowly declining, but how slow? VERY SLOW, it's just like a 10% drop, but that's it. I do disagree however with "Theres not much mumble rap in 2014-15," I remember when OT Genesis, Fetty Wap, Future, Rae Sremmurd, Rich Homie Quan, Chief Keef, etc. They were very big in 2015, and I remember them rapidly rising in popularity around September 2014, and ohh boy it was weird. At first, I didnt mind it and I thought it was funny, but around mid-2015, it got really annoying. We didnt call it mumble rap though, we just simply called it "Bad Rap Songs," for Early Mumble Rap.

But not as much on the mainstream back then as there is now. The late 2010s are the peak of mumble rap in the mainstream I think. 2014 and 2015 was dominated by teen pop on the radio so there was more diversity with teen pop, trap, and adult contemporary pop all on the charts.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/16/19 at 9:40 am

We just said trap or Southern rap back then. I remember Bobby Shmurder Hot Boy was huge in mid 14.

Check for new replies or respond here...