inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Little Mermaid live action remake to star Halle Bailey

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/05/19 at 12:38 pm

And this is upsetting some people. Nothing against Halle or her skin color for that matter, but I just thought Lindsay Lohan specifically should have been casted for that role. I thought she was hinting about it when she posted a picture of the cartoon Ariel on her Instagram. Anyhow, it's official that the Little Mermaid is joining the line up of live action remakes of classic Disney animated films (Dumbo, Aladin, the Lion King). This could very well be the new movie trend that would become the topic of late 2010's/early 2020's culture.

Subject: Re: Little Mermaid live action remake to star Halle Bailey

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/05/19 at 1:34 pm

It almost feels like they’re trying to be “progressive” IMO. It’s kind of like forced diversity.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/05/19 at 3:36 pm

I don't know who that is or what the controversy is.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/05/19 at 8:00 pm

And this is upsetting some people. Nothing against Halle or her skin color for that matter, but I just thought Lindsay Lohan specifically should have been casted for that role. I thought she was hinting about it when she posted a picture of the cartoon Ariel on her Instagram.

Not a prayer in hell of Lohan being cast in a major production like this. She is considered far too unstable.

Written By: 2001 on 07/05/19 at 8:47 pm

A lot of those remakes have flopped already, so while they'll exist, I'm not sure they'll be fixtures of early 2020s culture.

Written By: rapplepop on 07/05/19 at 11:02 pm

Why can't Disney just tell new stories instead of remaking all their old stories?

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/06/19 at 5:35 am

I don't know who that is or what the controversy is.

The actress has a different skin color so everyone is clutching their pearls.

Written By: 2012emo on 07/06/19 at 6:18 am

lmaoooo why would 33 y/o crack head Lindsay Lohan be cast as 16 y/o ariel?

srs though i wish movie studios would realize that there are more races than black and white. why not cast a hispanic or asian lady? also how about instead of casting poc in white roles they can actually create a character who is a poc from the start and develop them?

Written By: 2001 on 07/06/19 at 7:22 am

srs though i wish movie studios would realize that there are more races than black and white. why not cast a hispanic or asian lady? also how about instead of casting poc in white roles they can actually create a character who is a poc from the start and develop them?

She's looking closer to 60 than 16 these days.  ::)

Written By: wixness on 07/06/19 at 12:34 pm

Why can't Disney just tell new stories instead of remaking all their old stories?

They killed public domain by making copyrighted remixes of them, and like other companies, by lobbying for increasingly restrictive copyright law that makes new works almost impossible to create or derive from, whether or not they are protected from copyright.

Politics aside, it's because people are getting tired of new crap and yearn for the days of old.

Written By: wixness on 07/06/19 at 12:37 pm

It almost feels like they’re trying to be “progressive” IMO. It’s kind of like forced diversity.

Progressive, yes. The norm for much of cinema's existence was to acknowledge that black people didn't exist, kill them off when they've "outlived their usefulness", to not put them in major roles or to have films with a lot of non-white people targeted to a less mainstream audience.

Persons of colour (especially the ones that deeply care about race issues) have much to celebrate when they can finally be regarded like white people have been for much of history since the slave trade in the Atlantic or even before.

Written By: Howard on 07/06/19 at 2:46 pm

It's only going to flop anyways.

Written By: shadowcookie on 07/06/19 at 3:04 pm

The actress has a different skin color so everyone is clutching their pearls.

I don’t think it’s a problem but I agree with Rainbowz that it feels a little forced.

And Halle Berry is 52. She might look good for her age but she doesn’t look 16. I assume there will be some serious makeup involved. :P

Oh and I agree that these remakes are getting boring. Can we get something new?

Written By: Elor on 07/06/19 at 4:58 pm

I don’t think it’s a problem but I agree with Rainbowz that it feels a little forced.

And Halle Berry is 52. She might look good for her age but she doesn’t look 16. I assume there will be some serious makeup involved. :P

Halle Bailey, not Halle Berry. Two different people. ;)
And yes, I think it's just forced too but that is what Disney excels in these days. 8-P

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/06/19 at 7:39 pm

If you haven't noticed, they're barely doing that for white characters either. It doesn't help that audiences generally don't go to watch original films nowadays.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/06/19 at 9:06 pm

LOL people overacting over this. The hypocrisy is so real! The amount of times an original Black or Asian character from stories or other film work have been whitewashed or cast with the wrong ethnicity and no one ever made a big deal about that.

Written By: mc98 on 07/06/19 at 10:23 pm

Everyone complaining about race and I'm over here just waiting for Disney to stop making live-action remakes and make something original.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/06/19 at 11:28 pm

Oh and I agree that these remakes are getting boring. Can we get something new?

Honest to God, 52 y/o Halle Berry would probably still be a much better fit for those role and be more youthful than 33 y/o crack head Lindsey Lohan ;D.

Written By: whistledog on 07/07/19 at 12:53 pm

I don't get the whole race thing.  Look at Avengers.  Nick Fury was originally a white character, and prior to Sam Jackson, the only other actor to play him in a live action role was David Hasselhoff in the 90s.
Avengers Endgame alone made 2.7 Billion at the box office

Written By: shadowcookie on 07/07/19 at 2:11 pm

Halle Bailey, not Halle Berry. Two different people. ;)
And yes, I think it's just forced too but that is what Disney excels in these days. 8-P

Oops. I haven’t heard of Halle Bailey so my mind immediately saw Berry.  ;D

Honest to God, 52 y/o Halle Berry would probably still be a much better fit for those role and be more youthful than 33 y/o crack head Lindsey Lohan ;D.

No kidding. She looks atrocious.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/07/19 at 2:23 pm

“Everyone Knows Mermaids Are White, Just Like Santa and Jesus!”

http://www.alternativelyfacts.com/tomi-lahren-everyone-knows-mermaids-are-white-just-like-santa-and-jesus/

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/07/19 at 2:24 pm

I’d still party with her...  :P

Written By: Howard on 07/07/19 at 2:36 pm

No kidding. She looks atrocious.

Lindsey Lohan aged a little from recent pictures.
https://www.etonline.com/sites/default/files/styles/max_970x546/public/images/2019-06/1280_lindsay_lohan.jpg?itok=xXAZSONQ&h=6ca16007

Written By: Howard on 07/07/19 at 2:37 pm

No you wouldn't.

Written By: Howard on 07/07/19 at 2:38 pm

Why can't a person just enjoy the remake instead of worrying about color, race or creed.

Written By: nally on 07/07/19 at 4:11 pm

Neither had I, until now! At first I thought it was a misprint, so I had to look up the name.

Ya learn something new every day! :)

Why can't a person just enjoy the remake instead of worrying about color, race or creed.

I agree; those factors shouldn't matter.

Written By: Howard on 07/08/19 at 5:36 am

And people probably were complaining that Annie was remade with a black cast and also as well as The Honeymooners too with Cedric The Entertainer.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/08/19 at 4:10 pm

The 1975 version of Little Mermaid was a blonde instead of a redhead, and the OG Little Mermaid from fairy tale stories was ALL GREEN. You have to do your research to know this, but since Disney's version of Little Mermaid premiered in 1989 and kick started the Disney Renaissance, it has completely overshadowed the previous mermaids and made those completely forgotten the past 30 years. The last couple of generations including mine has been brainwashed into believing that Disney's Little Mermaid is the OG Mermaid but that's completely false.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/08/19 at 4:13 pm

I'll just leave this here. All the possibilities of exotic mermaids!  :D

https://specials-images.forbesimg.com/imageserve/5d21e27334a5c400084a9e35/960x0.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-pWRevVUAEjZ4d.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/19 at 3:19 am

A lot of those remakes have flopped already, so while they'll exist, I'm not sure they'll be fixtures of early 2020s culture.
All in all, I hope "The Lion King" does not flop.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/09/19 at 7:26 am

The 1975 version of Little Mermaid was a blonde instead of a redhead, and the OG Little Mermaid from fairy tale stories was ALL GREEN. You have to do your research to know this, but since Disney's version of Little Mermaid premiered in 1989 and kick started the Disney Renaissance, it has completely overshadowed the previous mermaids and made those completely forgotten the past 30 years. The last couple of generations including mine has been brainwashed into believing that Disney's Little Mermaid is the OG Mermaid but that's completely false.

I almost forgot that Little Mermaid existed prior to 1989, which is why I always imagined Ariel having red hair. I do remember reading the original story, and it wasn't happy like the Disney version either (as most of the fairy tales were). On that note, I just remembered that earlier this decade there have been some live action remakes like Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty, so it's not necessarily a new thing for this year.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/09/19 at 5:41 pm

No you wouldn't.

Don’t be so sure.  ;)

Written By: nally on 07/09/19 at 5:54 pm

I almost forgot that Little Mermaid existed prior to 1989, which is why I always imagined Ariel having red hair. I do remember reading the original story, and it wasn't happy like the Disney version either (as most of the fairy tales were). On that note, I just remembered that earlier this decade there have been some live action remakes like Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty, so it's not necessarily a new thing for this year.

As did I. I always thought it was just an animated film. I was totally unaware of the original story too.

Written By: rapplepop on 07/17/19 at 3:20 am

Everyone complaining about race and I'm over here just waiting for Disney to stop making live-action remakes and make something original.

I agree! Better back, bring back 2D animation.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/18/19 at 10:24 am

I  was also forgetting that there was an Alice in Wonderland remake in 2010, made by Tim Burton starring Johnny Depp.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/18/19 at 10:47 am

I hope McDonalds does toys for this movie like they did first in 1989 and then in 1997.

Check for new replies or respond here...