inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2010s - Decade From Hell?

Written By: Slim95 on 07/13/19 at 9:33 pm

I was planning to make this thread closer to the new year but I couldn't wait. What does your decade in review look like? Was the 2010s really the decade from hell? I know people said that about the 2000s but this decade was way worse.

Subject: Re: 2010s - Decade From Hell?

Written By: Zelek3 on 07/13/19 at 10:50 pm

It was very up and down with the growing pains and advantages/disadvantages of humans integrating with high tech and social media. I wouldn't say it's the worst, not when the 30s-40s exist.

Since a recession hasn't happened (yet) I'd say it ended on a lighter note than the 2000s did.

Written By: mc98 on 07/13/19 at 11:02 pm

Better to live in this time than 1940s and before.

Written By: Dundee on 07/14/19 at 8:43 am

Better to live in this time than 1940s and before.
Yes, because "bad music" and iPhones and shaky politics are so much worse than wars, huge disease epidemics, segregation, child labour, the all-powered aristocracy and  ::) ::) ::)

Some countries in the world still have those problems (which has been the case for decades), but in the West calling something "a decade from hell" just because someone finds the pop culture unapealing is just spoiled little children behavior.

Written By: shadowcookie on 07/14/19 at 9:17 am

No, it wasn’t the decade from hell. Very silly thing to say.

Written By: wixness on 07/14/19 at 10:33 am

Unless you're an Islamist from 2014 or you're one of the various die-hard religious fundamentalist Trump fans since 2016, you would be inclined to believe this decade has come from hell. Perhaps even since the 2000s, where Islamist terrorism seems to have started impacting the world in an unprecedented scale in peacetime, and religiosity isn't something that is notable from then among individuals of that generation. Aside from recognizing same-sex marriages, I doubt there were many groundbreaking social changes too ever since then.

Personally, I think the 2010s is hellish because of politics and culture. Politics, because companies are gaining more and more power and democracy is looking more and more like a joke, and a mix of both because of what to me appears like a resistance against the subversive sort of culture the 2000s had, and a nostalgia for past days.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/14/19 at 12:22 pm

It wasn't exactly the 90's or even 2000's, but I have a lot of good personal memories looking back. It's just when you compare music, movies, video games, and TV shows, it seemed like the past decades were better and had more originality.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/14/19 at 2:34 pm

It wasn't exactly the 90's or even 2000's, but I have a lot of good personal memories looking back. It's just when you compare music, movies, video games, and TV shows, it seemed like the past decades were better and had more originality.

It wasn't all bad for my personal life (except for the early part) but for everything else it was even worse than the 2000s and people thought that decade was bad. It was really bad overall imo.

Written By: 2012emo on 07/14/19 at 4:01 pm

This was an amazing decade to live through and I hope y'all realize that someday. We've had artists like Adele, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, , and they will all be looked back at one day as iconic. We've also had movie franchises like all the Marvel movies (which will probably be treated in 30 years the same way people treat Star Wars now) and TV shows like Breaking Bad, Game Of Thrones, and Stranger Things. I know my opinion is unpopular here but I truly think that this decade was a great one and I even think that *gasp* it was better than the 2000s.

Written By: wixness on 07/14/19 at 5:21 pm

This was an amazing decade to live through and I hope y'all realize that someday. We've had artists like Adele, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, , and they will all be looked back at one day as iconic. We've also had movie franchises like all the Marvel movies (which will probably be treated in 30 years the same way people treat Star Wars now) and TV shows like Breaking Bad, Game Of Thrones, and Stranger Things. I know my opinion is unpopular here but I truly think that this decade was a great one and I even think that *gasp* it was better than the 2000s.
I prefer Kelly Clarkson's earlier stuff compared to much of Adele's stuff. It has the same energy, but I much prefer the melodies that Clarkson's songs had. I guess the notable events of the 2010s involve same-sex marriage, IMO. Otherwise, not much appeals to me about the 2010s.

Written By: Dundee on 07/14/19 at 5:24 pm

Take it from a hit song from 30 years ago: the world never started to suck, it always did.

eFTLKWw542g

(Ps: I know that this is basically "Boomers lecturing Gen Xers that they didn't ruin everything themselves" the song, but the underlying message holds some relevance in this case).

Written By: GameXcaper on 07/14/19 at 7:56 pm

Compared to the last few decades I would say yes. But as much as I hate to admit it (Because I really hate this decade with the exception of 2010-2012) there was a lot of improvements). No major wars, fairly peaceful times, Teen pregnancy rates along with teenage drug use has gone down, but I guess this is because everyone has their eyes glued to a screen 24/7 to actually do anything exciting like skateboarding or break dancing or other cool activities that I thought were really cool as a kid in the 2000s. But Global temperatures have also risen, and obesity rates are skyrocketing as well.

Written By: ItsMichael on 07/14/19 at 10:56 pm

I wouldn't necessarily say the whole decade was hellish. Sure the 2010s had its ups and downs, but that doesn't make the entire decade entirely forgettable. I'm pretty sure people in the near future will look back and reminisce of the 2010s just as they did when the 00s or the 90s ended. It's the never-ending wave of nostalgia.

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/16/19 at 5:37 am

Yes, this decade is much, much worse than the decade when millions of young men died in a pointless war. And definitely worse than the decade when twenty million people were murdered in a genocidal nightmare.

Written By: Howard on 07/16/19 at 7:41 am

Yes, this decade is much, much worse than the decade when millions of young men died in a pointless war. And definitely worse than the decade when twenty million people were murdered in a genocidal nightmare.

or when we had shootings and gunfire.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 06/23/21 at 9:42 pm

Yeah

Check for new replies or respond here...