inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you guys think Vaporwave will replace Hipster as the new trend next decade?

Written By: VHSfan0101 on 07/16/19 at 8:12 pm

Lately, I have been seeing a lot of vaporwave stuff in the media and in marketing. For example, recently, I saw a GoDaddy commercial that had Ayesha Curry on it. On the commercial, she was in a room. The room she was in had a Vaporwave design. If you guys want to see the commercial, then here is a link to it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8w4XheHmyVM#. Go to 0:16 of the video to see the room that I am talking about. What do you guys think? Will Vaporwave designs/culture will overtake Hipster designs/culture as the new trend next decade?

Subject: Re: Do you guys think Vaporwave will replace Hipster as the new trend next decade?

Written By: wixness on 07/16/19 at 8:18 pm

I don't know but it somewhat looks a little likely. I admit it's not so much my aesthetic but it's a little better compared to the gender conforming and deliberately avant-garde hipster aesthetic - it's something I can get into a little more, although it's because of some people I've been close to who've been making such memes that involved vaporwave.

My fear is that one point, it's been appropriated by fascists with a subgenre called "fashwave". Fortunately, it doesn't seem to be as big of an issue from what I've seen, but what's a little disturbing is that it seemed to have come from nowhere.

Subject: Re: Do you guys think Vaporwave will replace Hipster as the new trend next decade?

Written By: VHSfan0101 on 07/16/19 at 8:46 pm

Riven, even though I like Hipster culture and Vaporwave culture, I have to admit that I like Vaporwave culture more than Hipster culture. I hope Hipster culture replace Vaporwave culture as the new trend next decade. That would be awesome.

Written By: duenas8 on 07/16/19 at 10:12 pm

I think it’s just a late 2010s - early 20s thing, it has being very popular since 2016 and its peak moment was in 2017 (according to Google Trends), but I don’t think it will last much longer

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/20/19 at 6:23 pm

Lately, I have been seeing a lot of vaporwave stuff in the media and in marketing. For example, recently, I saw a GoDaddy commercial that had Ayesha Curry on it. On the commercial, she was in a room. The room she was in had a Vaporwave design. If you guys want to see the commercial, then here is a link to it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8w4XheHmyVM#. Go to 0:16 of the video to see the room that I am talking about. What do you guys think? Will Vaporwave designs/culture will overtake Hipster designs/culture as the new trend next decade?

The aesthetic? Maybe.  The music? Bahahaha NOPE.

Written By: mc98 on 07/20/19 at 6:35 pm

The music itself is no longer popular, it already peaked in 2016/2017. The aesthetics will still be popular though and I'm okay with that, the aesthetic is gorgeous.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/20/19 at 6:37 pm

I hope so. I like the aesthetic of Vaporwave over Hipster culture. It’s been time for the Hipster trend that started in the 2000s to die off.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/20/19 at 8:13 pm

I hope so. I like the aesthetic of Vaporwave over Hipster culture. It’s been time for the Hipster trend that started in the 2000s to die off.

I thought that aesthetic died out by 2014 or 15. I honestly don't know what people are referring to when they say "hipster" anymore. What's replaced "hipster" since 2015 or 16 is this athleisure fashion that gets more prominent with every year,

Written By: GameXcaper on 07/20/19 at 9:46 pm

It might, it is a really good aesthetic. But it has already been done in the 80s and to an extent the early 90s. Vaporwave and Synthwave are based around artwork from that time period.

Written By: Dundee on 07/21/19 at 3:11 pm

Vaporwave has been an aesthetic inspiration since a few years now. It's a really core-2010s trend.
I'm honestly quite sick of it at this point and hope will be replaced with something new.

The music genre of vaporwave is dying anyway and for good reason. Sites like Bandcamp have been flooded with it around 2013 to 2016, and the enthusiasm for it overall fell apart due to the oversaturation.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/21/19 at 5:06 pm

It might, it is a really good aesthetic. But it has already been done in the 80s and to an extent the early 90s. Vaporwave and Synthwave are based around artwork from that time period.

I think that’s what makes it so great to Xers and Xennials.

Written By: VHSfan0101 on 07/21/19 at 8:22 pm

I just realized something: If Vaporwave does overtake Hipster as the new trend next decade, then the type of Vaporwave that is going to overtake Hipster culture as the new trend will be Y2K Aesthetic. The reason why I said that is because next year will be the 20th anniversary of the turn of the millennium (The year 2000). When it comes to how Y2K Aesthetic will replace hipster as the new trend, I think it's going to take a few years to happen. It's not going to happen in 2020. It might happen in 2021 or 2022. It's going to happen just like people started wearing hipster clothes this decade in 2012. I first started seeing people wearing 2010s fashion in 2012. I was watching an episode of Judge Judy in 2012 when I first saw someone wearing 2010s fashion. To be specific, I saw a lady wearing a Keffiyeh on Judge Judy in 2012. During that year, hipster fashion took off.

If you don't know what I mean by Y2K Aesthetic, then take a look at this Tumblr profile: https://y2kaestheticinstitute.tumblr.com/

Basically what is going to happen is things from the early 2000s are going to be popular again. In other words, there is going to be nostalgia for the 2000s next decade. I read about the possibility of Y2K Aesthetic becoming popular again in the 2020s in a tweet that I saw on Twitter two weeks ago.

Written By: mc98 on 07/21/19 at 8:28 pm

Plus, hipster is already dead since 2017.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/21/19 at 8:29 pm

I just realized something: If Vaporwave does overtake Hipster as the new trend next decade, then the type of Vaporwave that is going to overtake Hipster culture as the new trend will be Y2K Aesthetic. The reason why I said that is because next year will be the 20th anniversary of the turn of the millennium (The year 2000). When it comes to how Y2K Aesthetic will replace hipster as the new trend, I think it's going to take a few years to happen. It's not going to happen in 2020. It might happen in 2021 or 2022. It's going to happen just like people started wearing hipster clothes this decade in 2012. I first started seeing people wearing 2010s fashion in 2012. I was watching an episode of Judge Judy in 2012 when I first saw someone wearing 2010s fashion. To be specific, I saw a lady wearing a Keffiyeh on Judge Judy in 2012. During that year, hipster fashion took off.

If you don't know what I mean by Y2K Aesthetic, then take a look at this Tumblr profile: https://y2kaestheticinstitute.tumblr.com/

Basically what is going to happen is things from the early 2000s are going to be popular again. In other words, there is going to be nostalgia for the 2000s next decade. I read about the possibility of Y2K Aesthetic becoming popular again in the 2020s in a tweet that I saw on Twitter two weeks ago.

Wow! Nice find.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/21/19 at 10:07 pm

Vaporwave has been an aesthetic inspiration since a few years now. It's a really core-2010s trend.
I'm honestly quite sick of it at this point and hope will be replaced with something new.

The music genre of vaporwave is dying anyway and for good reason. Sites like Bandcamp have been flooded with it around 2013 to 2016, and the enthusiasm for it overall fell apart due to the oversaturation.

The lighting...maybe...but I think that aesthetic is more from the undercurrent of 80s aesthetic that has influenced so much of the 2010s that so many of the people on this board seem to be super unaware of.

The music genre of (basic) vaporwave is super tired, I do see Future Funk having a future (hehe) tho.

But let me take this time to promote GEORGE CLANTON!!!!!!!!!!

I've met him twice and he's just the fkin best! Please! Let's make him a superstar! He's straight from the vaporwave scene and he's ready to break into the mainstream!

20AjpZNopVo

6Mgluy492LU

BVggF2TxSu8

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/21/19 at 10:36 pm

GEORGE CLANTON BEING VAPORWAVEEE!!!

wuzD3m1Spj8

Written By: Slim95 on 07/22/19 at 1:08 am

Vaporwave is a 2010s thing (has been underground yet popular online for a long time now) and it's already long in the tooth. No way that will make a comeback. It will probably be something brand new.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/22/19 at 1:09 am

Plus, hipster is already dead since 2017.

I wouldn't say it is "dead" it has just been on the decline since then. There are still a few hipsters left that are around and it isn't completely dead.

Written By: mc98 on 07/22/19 at 11:47 am

I wouldn't say it is "dead" it has just been on the decline since then. There are still a few hipsters left that are around and it isn't completely dead.

I meant the movement and popularity itself is dead.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 07/23/19 at 1:26 am

The aesthetic will most likely stay, it has been around since the 80s, and lots of music videos like 7 Rings and Nightmare by Halsey. The genre? Nah. It has peaked in Mid 2016 to Mid 2017, and its becoming less relevant, as what other people said. Fashion? Well, we just had a neon revival in 2008, let's give it maybe another 10 years.

Written By: VHSfan0101 on 07/23/19 at 10:07 pm

Wow! Nice find.

Thank you, Retrolover.

Written By: LooseBolt on 07/25/19 at 7:04 pm

There's more to vaporwave than the aesthetic, and bi-lighting isn't all there is to the vaporwave aesthetic. As far as vaporwave "dying," people have been proclaiming the genre's death for years. It may not be on the radio or anything, but its underground presence is as dominant as ever. Especially with the world darkening, I think, the hauntology of vaporwave will define the underground for a long time yet.

Check for new replies or respond here...