inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2010s songs that won’t sound out of place in the 2000s.

Written By: mc98 on 07/26/19 at 9:45 am

Disclaimer: These songs are NOT identical to anything from the 2000s but rather share similarities that won’t seem alien if released in the 2000s. The songs are applied to mostly R&B, Rap, and regular Pop. Here are the songs that could be released in the 2000s:

Watch Me: It is literally a Snap song.

Mirrors: Its very similar to Cry Me a River and What Goes Around Comes Around.

Black and Yellow: It sounds like it could come from 2005.

Work From Home: Sounds very 2006. It shares similarities with Me & U by Cassie.

No: This song has heavy Early 00s style production.

La La La: UK Garage is common in the British music scene of the 00s. This wouldn’t sound out of place.

Call Me Maybe: If you slow down the tempo, its like a Y2K song.

Boyfriend: Sounds like an Early 00s Justin Timberlake song.

The Way: This song gives off heavy Early 00s vibes.

Let Her Go: This song could come from 2006. It shares similarities with Soft rock ballads of the mid 00s.

Blurred Lines: Although it’s part of the Disco trend of 2013-2015, it wouldn’t sound out of place in the mid 2000s.

Shut Up and Dance: Very similar to the stuff from The Killers in 2004.

Here: It gives off heavy Amy Winehouse vibes.

Love Me Again: Same as above.

Cake By The Ocean: Not very different from Jonas Brothers 2008 material.

The Lazy Song: It can be released in 2008, sounds almost like I’m Yours.

Troublemaker: His style is very reminiscent of Robbie Williams.

Subject: Re: 2010s songs that won’t sound out of place in the 2000s.

Written By: Dundee on 07/26/19 at 4:17 pm

"Cake by the Ocean" is very different from the late 2000s Jonas Brothers stuff, it trades off the distorted and quite heavy power popesque sound for a more laidback and funky beat and with loads of reverb to complement.

"Watch Me"'s production is less repetitive than typical snap songs with pronounced 808s. I would say that it is closer in sound to the Chicago bop scene which is basically "upbeat and dancey trap"
fq0bwZQ1ntw

Disagree with "Call Me Maybe", the kick drums are different to what they were in the Y2K and far closer to those usually used in the early '10s. Same for "Troublemaker" (and btw it'd say Olly Murse takes more from Robin Williams rather than the boybands of back then).

"Here" gives off more of a 90s vibe than something from the 2000s. It sounds closer the heavy and brooding style of Portishead rather than the jazzy and warm sound of Amy Whinehouse.

"Thrift Shop" doesn't really sound to me like something from 2003, which was dominated by the dirty and gritty style of The Neptunes and the smooth and soulful style of Kanye West and OutKast and everyone who copied basically both. The production is also much closer to the brass-obsession of the mid-2010s. There's also has a beat drop in the chorus, a format practically non-existant in 2000s hip hop and is unique to the 2010s.

On the hand Drake's "Nice For What", while definitely a late 2010s song given away by the fast tempo of the 808s, is definitely closer in style to a typical song from 2003 (I think it even purposefuly tried to copy the early 2000s).
U9BwWKXjVaI

Written By: mc98 on 07/26/19 at 4:59 pm

"Cake by the Ocean" is very different from the late 2000s Jonas Brothers stuff, it trades off the distorted and quite heavy power popesque sound for a more laidback and funky beat and with loads of reverb to complement.

"Watch Me"'s production is less repetitive than typical snap songs with pronounced 808s. I would say that it is closer in sound to the Chicago bop scene which is basically "upbeat and dancey trap"
fq0bwZQ1ntw

Disagree with "Call Me Maybe", the kick drums are different to what they were in the Y2K and far closer to those usually used in the early '10s. Same for "Troublemaker" (and btw it'd say Olly Murse takes more from Robin Williams rather than the boybands of back then).

"Here" gives off more of a 90s vibe than something from the 2000s. It sounds closer the heavy and brooding style of Portishead rather than the jazzy and warm sound of Amy Whinehouse.

"Thrift Shop" doesn't really sound to me like something from 2003, which was dominated by the dirty and gritty style of The Neptunes and the smooth and soulful style of Kanye West and OutKast and everyone who copied basically both. The production is also much closer to the brass-obsession of the mid-2010s. There's also has a beat drop in the chorus, a format practically non-existant in 2000s hip hop and is unique to the 2010s.

Yeah, Cake By The Ocean has more in common with Uptown Funk and Want To Want Me.

Well, Watch Me is kinda similar to Snap.

The strings from Call Me Maybe kinda gave me Y2K vibes. Olly Murs does remind me of Robbie Williams rather than NSync and BSB.

So, Here is more 90s than the 00s. Makes sense because the song literally sampled Portishead

I guess the production of Thrift Shop is closer to the mid 2010s than the 00s. Beat drops aren't a thing in Hip Hop of the 00s. Crazy In Love, The Way You Move. Hollaback Girl, and Shake Ya Tailfeather are 00s songs that are heavy on Brass though.

I definitely agree with Nice For What. It does give me early 00s vibes.

Written By: Dundee on 07/26/19 at 5:07 pm

So, Here is more 90s than the 00s. Makes sense because the song literally sampled Portishead

And that same Portishead song sampled a soul song from the 70s. Funny eh?
Sampleception :D

Written By: mc98 on 07/26/19 at 5:36 pm

Here are more:

Bang Bang: Sounds very early-mid 00s.

Don't: This Ed Sheeran song sounds like it could come from 2002-04

Stitches: It reminds me of John Mayer, Jesse McCartney, and Ryan Cabrera.

She Looks So Perfect: A pop punk song that can come from 2001.

Amnesia: It's like a combination of Hey There Delilah & Chasing Cars.

Tonight Tonight: Reminds me of Disney Channel in the late 00s.

Try: This song uses power chords in the chorus, it doesn't sound that far from Pinks 2008 material.

Written By: Dundee on 07/26/19 at 6:33 pm

The piano backdrop setting to "Don't" kind of sounds 90s while the off-kilter chorus with the reverb filter (and the rest of the song really) places it right back in the 2010s.
Can't really think of something that sounds like it from 2002-4, unless you offer further explanations.

Written By: mc98 on 07/26/19 at 9:03 pm

The piano backdrop setting to "Don't" kind of sounds 90s while the off-kilter chorus with the reverb filter (and the rest of the song really) places it right back in the 2010s.
Can't really think of something that sounds like it from 2002-4, unless you offer further explanations.

Kinda got confused with this one tbh.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 07/29/19 at 9:27 pm

Also, Talk by Khalid sounds kinda like We Belong Together by Mariah Carey, released in 2005

Written By: 2012emo on 07/31/19 at 5:04 pm

Disclaimer: These songs are NOT identical to anything from the 2000s but rather share similarities that won’t seem alien if released in the 2000s. The songs are applied to mostly R&B, Rap, and regular Pop. Here are the songs that could be released in the 2000s:

Watch Me: It is literally a Snap song.

Mirrors: Its very similar to Cry Me a River and What Goes Around Comes Around.

Black and Yellow: It sounds like it could come from 2005.

Work From Home: Sounds very 2006. It shares similarities with Me & U by Cassie.

No: This song has heavy Early 00s style production.

La La La: UK Garage is common in the British music scene of the 00s. This wouldn’t sound out of place.

Call Me Maybe: If you slow down the tempo, its like a Y2K song.

Boyfriend: Sounds like an Early 00s Justin Timberlake song.

The Way: This song gives off heavy Early 00s vibes.

Let Her Go: This song could come from 2006. It shares similarities with Soft rock ballads of the mid 00s.

Blurred Lines: Although it’s part of the Disco trend of 2013-2015, it wouldn’t sound out of place in the mid 2000s.

Shut Up and Dance: Very similar to the stuff from The Killers in 2004.

Here: It gives off heavy Amy Winehouse vibes.

Love Me Again: Same as above.

Cake By The Ocean: Not very different from Jonas Brothers 2008 material.

The Lazy Song: It can be released in 2008, sounds almost like I’m Yours.

Troublemaker: His style is very reminiscent of Robbie Williams.

I'm sorry but none of those songs sound 2000s to me at all, especially not Work From Home ??? If anything, it sounds extremely 2010s.

Check for new replies or respond here...