inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Top Gun Remake Snubs Kelly McGillis

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/28/19 at 4:52 pm

A sequel to 1980s smash hit Top Gun will be hitting the silver screen in 2020. And the casting will bring back Tom Cruise as Maverick, and Val Kilmer will reprise his role as Ice Man.

However, no such casting invitation was sent to heartthrob Kelly McGillis, :-\\ as the love interest role has been cast with the lovely Jennifer Connolly.  :-*

https://decider.com/2019/07/26/kelly-mcgillis-top-gun-maverick-snub/

Subject: Re: Top Gun Remake Snubs Kelly McGillis

Written By: Retrolover on 07/29/19 at 8:12 am

Another flop made in the 21st century for people who loved living in the 20th century.

Please Hollywood, stop making sequels and remakes to films made in the 20th century.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/29/19 at 5:31 pm

Another flop made in the 21st century for people who loved living in the 20th century.

Please Hollywood, stop making sequels and remakes to films made in the 20th century.

Except for Porky’s IV. I’ve been waiting a long tome for that. Maybe 2020 will be the year.  8)

Written By: Retrolover on 07/29/19 at 5:37 pm

Except for Porky’s IV. I’ve been waiting a long tome for that. Maybe 2020 will be the year.  8)

They didn’t make a fourth Porky’s already?

Written By: exodus08 on 07/29/19 at 5:38 pm

A sequel to 1980s smash hit Top Gun will be hitting the silver screen in 2020. And the casting will bring back Tom Cruise as Maverick, and Val Kilmer will reprise his role as Ice Man.

However, no such casting invitation was sent to heartthrob Kelly McGillis, :-\\ as the love interest role has been cast with the lovely Jennifer Connolly.  :-*

https://decider.com/2019/07/26/kelly-mcgillis-top-gun-maverick-snub/

Have you seen her now?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/29/19 at 6:25 pm

They didn’t make a fourth Porky’s already?

In 2009 there was a horrid flick titled Porky's Pimpin' Pee Wee 8-P which was a lame effort at a “remake” of the original Porky’s. Die hard Porky’s fans do not recognize it as a legitimate part of the franchise.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/29/19 at 6:26 pm

Have you seen her now?  ???

I have not seen any of her recent flicks. I imagine she is as hot as ever.  :-*

Written By: Retrolover on 07/29/19 at 8:01 pm

In 2009 there was a horrid flick titled Porky's Pimpin' Pee Wee 8-P which was a lame effort at a “remake” of the original Porky’s. Die hard Porky’s fans do not recognize it as a legitimate part of the franchise.

Exactly what I meant.
All franchises that started in the 20th century need to be left alone in this century.

Written By: exodus08 on 07/29/19 at 8:24 pm

I have not seen any of her recent flicks. I imagine she is as hot as ever.  :-*

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1155839/Top-Gun-Maverick-Tom-Cruise-trailer-What-happened-to-Kelly-McGillis-pictures-where-is/amp

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/30/19 at 2:26 am

Exactly what I meant.
All franchises that started in the 20th century need to be left alone in this century.

Well a Porkys IV starting the original Porkys cast would still be awesome. Actors like Kaki Hunter, Tony “Meat” Ganios, Kim “Lassie” Cattral, and Dan Monaghan could bring back the magic one more time.

Written By: Howard on 07/30/19 at 7:44 am

Except for Porky’s IV. I’ve been waiting a long time for that. Maybe 2020 will be the year.  8)

Porky's 4? That could happen but what could the dialogue be about? How did Porky's 3 end? I could see them making a sequel for the 35th anniversary in 2020.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/30/19 at 8:11 am

Well a Porkys IV starting the original Porkys cast would still be awesome. Actors like Kaki Hunter, Tony “Meat” Ganios, Kim “Lassie” Cattral, and Dan Monaghan could bring back the magic one more time.

Wow! Most Americans today don’t even know of any actor you mentioned but Kim Cattral!  :o

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/30/19 at 8:46 am

The question is, why is "Top Gun" being remade at all? It was the ultimate Reagan-era 80s jingoistic movie. I can't think of anything more of it's time. It's only saving grace was how fantastic everybody looked in it. Now Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer are old men and the world has moved on to other things.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/30/19 at 9:14 am

The question is, why is "Top Gun" being remade at all? It was the ultimate Reagan-era 80s jingoistic movie. I can't think of anything more of it's time. It's only saving grace was how fantastic everybody looked in it. Now Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer are old men and the world has moved on to other things.

Is it a remake or a sequel?

I thought the ultimate Reagan-era 80s jingoistic movie was “First Blood” or “Rambo: First Blood Part II”. Rambo was all over the place in the Reagan years. There were even toys. I’m not making this up.

I don’t think Tom Cruise or Val Kilmer can make a comeback with a 21st century “Top Gun” movie. The first “Top Gun” was important to that time (the 80s and early 90s ). 90s nostalgia is becoming mainstream anyway. Why couldn’t this “Top Gun” film been released in the 2000s or earlier in the 2010s? Ridiculous.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/30/19 at 11:26 am

Totally agree! To me, the best part of the movie was the music-which I do have the soundtrack. Love "Mighty Wings" by Cheap Trick.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/30/19 at 5:39 pm

This one is a sequel. Maverick is now a wisened flight instructor, and Ice Man is a Commander at the Miramar base. I would imagine that Mav and Ice have a few go-rounds in which, of course, Maverick prevails. Maverick also likely scores with the hot chick (Jennifer Connolly  :-*)

Written By: Retrolover on 07/30/19 at 6:07 pm

This one is a sequel. Maverick is now a wisened flight instructor, and Ice Man is a Commander at the Miramar base. I would imagine that Mav and Ice have a few go-rounds in which, of course, Maverick prevails. Maverick also likely scores with the hot chick (Jennifer Connolly  :-*)

Liked “Top Gun 2” better when it was called “Top Gun”.

Competition, in general, is stupid. No one ever wins in a fight.

As you can tell, I’ll be passing on “Top Gun 2”.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/31/19 at 7:51 pm

Maybe we’ll get lucky and they will make Roadhouse III.

Roadhouse II kind of sucked, so maybe they can get the third installment right.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/31/19 at 8:18 pm

I don’t know of any 21st century sequels, prequels, or remakes to any movie series created in 20th century that haven’t stunk. From “Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace” to “Godzilla King of the Monsters”, they have all been flat. Nothing more than ideas and cash grabs by people in Hollywood who the loved the originals.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/01/19 at 5:05 am

I don’t know of any 21st century sequels, prequels, or remakes to any movie series created in 20th century that haven’t stunk. From “Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace” to “Godzilla King of the Monsters”, they have all been flat. Nothing more than ideas and cash grabs by people in Hollywood who the loved the originals.

You didn’t like “The Longest Yard” starring Adam Sandler, with Burt Reynolds returning as an original cast member?

Written By: Howard on 08/01/19 at 5:42 am

The one with Patrick Swayze?

Check for new replies or respond here...