inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Seems like the social media bubble wont burst after all

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 08/03/19 at 1:03 am

In Late 2018 and Early 2019, John Titor and I predicted that the social media bubble would burst in late 2019, meaning that social media would be less popular. Seems like we are wrong, It's already August 2019, close to Late 2019 already, damn how time flies like that. Anyway, just because Facebook usage went down by 7%, it doesnt mean that Instagram and Snapchat would get affected too. Facebook is still on decline, while IG and Snapchat are still on the rise, as more and more kids are starting their own accounts as they grow up and get their own phones. Social media is what keeps us interacted online, and without it, we wouldn't have our online friends or we'd have to walk over or text friends just to talk. In Social media, it does have it's own pros and cons, but with pros, we can share our fun moments in life to our friends without having to come over to their home. Because there is this chemical in the brain called dopamine, once you find something interesting, and you get used to it, it becomes very addictive, just like social media. The dot com bubble is a different story, it wasnt important back then like it is now, as every person still went outside and talked to friends, and that people were able to survive without the internet. Times have changed, and once we advance, we cant go back.

Subject: Re: Seems like the social media bubble wont burst after all

Written By: mc98 on 08/03/19 at 9:42 am

Social media has more cons than pros.

Written By: GameXcaper on 08/03/19 at 3:20 pm

It will burst, just give it some more time. There is going to be a huge backlash and I am pretty sure it will be a part of the backlash against the 2010s once the 20s arrive.

Written By: exodus08 on 08/03/19 at 7:22 pm

In Late 2018 and Early 2019, John Titor and I predicted that the social media bubble would burst in late 2019, meaning that social media would be less popular. Seems like we are wrong, It's already August 2019, close to Late 2019 already, damn how time flies like that. Anyway, just because Facebook usage went down by 7%, it doesnt mean that Instagram and Snapchat would get affected too. Facebook is still on decline, while IG and Snapchat are still on the rise, as more and more kids are starting their own accounts as they grow up and get their own phones. Social media is what keeps us interacted online, and without it, we wouldn't have our online friends or we'd have to walk over or text friends just to talk. In Social media, it does have it's own pros and cons, but with pros, we can share our fun moments in life to our friends without having to come over to their home. Because there is this chemical in the brain called dopamine, once you find something interesting, and you get used to it, it becomes very addictive, just like social media. The dot com bubble is a different story, it wasnt important back then like it is now, as every person still went outside and talked to friends, and that people were able to survive without the internet. Times have changed, and once we advance, we cant go back.

We're still in Mid 2019 but by next month we'll be in Late 2019. You guys maybe right or not.

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/03/19 at 7:36 pm

Yeah, the burst wasn't going to just happen overnight. I mean, I can tell you that slowly over the course of the last week, I have sharply reduced my social media usage. I deleted my Reddit account, my Twitter, and I am possibly eyeing my Facebook as well. I also don't have an IG or Snapchat, so that would leave this forum and Popedia as basically my last remaining social media accounts on the entire Internet (and maybe also Spotify, if that counts).

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/03/19 at 7:40 pm

We’ve got 5 months to go in 2019. Titor still could be proven right.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 08/03/19 at 7:41 pm

I mean- Yes there are people leaving social media for good. The cons for social media is that once you share something bad, it could spread like wildfire to other people, and that you're gonna get criticized or hate for that. That's what happened to Amanda Todd during 2012  :\'( Also, cyberbullying and rejection can happen. This happens to me alot where people would hangout or start parties without telling me, and they post pictures saying they had the most fun night. That makes me feel unacceptable and useless, no matter how hard I tried to be their friend.  :\'(

The truth is, there are people that will leave, but there are kids that will start using social media. We cant just go from a high peak tower to just drop down. There are lots of posts being posted online, and theres no way to stop that chain reaction.

Written By: 2012emo on 08/05/19 at 12:30 pm

I seriously doubt that the "social media bubble" will ever burst as long as the internet is around. That's like saying the phone bubble is going to burst; phones are now a part of life.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/05/19 at 2:58 pm

I seriously doubt that the "social media bubble" will ever burst as long as the internet is around. That's like saying the phone bubble is going to burst; phones are now a part of life.

Phones can and will burst. It has already bursted in some way. People are no longer upgrading their phones every year and they holding onto them, they also got a lot more expensive. AI glasses and wearables will replace it one day. The phones we have today will be easily replaceable.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/05/19 at 3:01 pm

I never thought the social media bubble would burst, why would it? Why would it die? I don't know why people predicted that. It made no sense.

Every person has control over what they do. It is not social media's fault people get addicted and bad things happen. Social media is just a tool. It is up to you to moderate it and choose how to use it. I for one am blessed to have social media around and I feel it made life better in many ways.

Written By: 2001 on 08/12/19 at 8:46 pm

I never thought the social media bubble would burst, why would it? Why would it die? I don't know why people predicted that. It made no sense.

Every person has control over what they do. It is not social media's fault people get addicted and bad things happen. Social media is just a tool. It is up to you to moderate it and choose how to use it. I for one am blessed to have social media around and I feel it made life better in many ways.

The more time people spend on social media, the more miserable they are. There are many studies that show this. And people are spending more and more time on social media each year as statistics show (I'd add links, but I'm on my phone).

It actually is social media company's fault. They design their apps to make them more addictive with their red notification buzzes, autoplaying videos, endless scrolling, curating clickbait into your feeds etc. the natural result is that there are more people who are addicted. That's their goal: to keep your eyeballs on their website. The problem is that the more time people spend on their website the sicker they become.

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/12/19 at 9:08 pm

The more time people spend on social media, the more miserable they are. There are many studies that show this. And people are spending more and more time on social media each year as statistics show (I'd add links, but I'm on my phone).

It actually is social media company's fault. They design their apps to make them more addictive with their red notification buzzes, autoplaying videos, endless scrolling, curating clickbait into your feeds etc. the natural result is that there are more people who are addicted. That's their goal: to keep your eyeballs on their website. The problem is that the more time people spend on their website the sicker they become.

Agreed. I realized that in modern society, we practically define our lives, our self-worth, and all our milestones based on social media. That's why I cut the cord and I'm never looking back.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/12/19 at 10:06 pm

Not at all... Social media is a blessing to people who want to share or promote their work or art, talk with family easily who are overseas, and make online friends and find people with similar interests and hobbies... It's good for people with social anxiety too to be able to have an outlet when they are uncomfortable in real life. It is a great tool, and I am very happy with social media and I hope it never dies and goes away. I enjoy it a lot (not addicted to it though, I don't even have FB anymore but still enjoy social media being around. Addiction is bad of course). But I do enjoy it a lot. There is no reason for it to go away and I hope it never goes away.

People should take responsibility over their own actions and not blame companies just because they themselves can't stop looking into the screen.... I only blame companies if they are being sneaky like FB with privacy issues. But not the social media concept itself, which is a great one.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/12/19 at 10:11 pm

Agreed. I realized that in modern society, we practically define our lives, our self-worth, and all our milestones based on social media. That's why I cut the cord and I'm never looking back.

Well that's a personal decision and if you think it does that to you then it's good to cut the cord. I for one think social media has way more positives than negatives... And it is absolutely not social media's fault people act silly on it.

Written By: Howard on 08/13/19 at 7:31 am

Imagine a world if we didn't have social media then how would you feel?

Written By: Slim95 on 08/13/19 at 3:11 pm

Imagine a world if we didn't have social media then how would you feel?

Pretty sad and I may be a bit bored. I would also have to go back to newspaper's for advertising my work. :P

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 08/13/19 at 3:14 pm

Pretty sad and I may be a bit bored. I would also have to go back to newspaper's for advertising my work. :P

But look, people are always on their phones scrolling everywhere they go, and theres less human interaction in real life with that. Also, people were still having fun and actually had real human interaction, talking to each other, playing with water guns, it was fun in the 80s and 90s. I mean- social media is good to talk to people from far away, and show your personality, but the addiction is the main problem, and that theres less human interaction in real life.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/13/19 at 3:16 pm

But look, people are always on their phones scrolling everywhere they go, and theres less human interaction in real life with that. Also, people were still having fun and actually had real human interaction, talking to each other, playing with water guns, it was fun in the 80s and 90s. I mean- social media is good to talk to people from far away, and show your personality, but the addiction is the main problem, and that theres less human interaction in real life.

Then don't ban social media for that but take people to counseling or rehab because it doesn't need to be one or the other. I still go out and have human interaction while still using social media at the same time.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 08/13/19 at 3:20 pm

Then don't ban social media for that but take people to counseling or rehab because it doesn't need to be one or the other. I still go out and have human interaction while still using social media at the same time.

Same, I'm like that too, and same with most of my friends, but I know lots of people who went on their phone for 17 hours straight, and they regret it.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/13/19 at 5:06 pm

I feel like everything is a balance at the end of the day. In theory, 'social media' isn't nefarious by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, the conception of social media 10-15 years ago was a way for people with social anxiety and or various artistic talents (such as fine art, fashion, music, etc.) to have an outlet to express themselves. A decade later it seems like social media is exactly that, a place where people can become entrepreneurs, models, artists, 'influencers' (whatever that means ;D). I don't really see anything wrong with that, per say, but the issue for me (and I am sure for others on this forum) is when social media companies use gimmicks and clickbait to entice users on their site. Not only that, but the way the algorithm is set up, it's no longer a feasible way to be discovered using organic methods of engagement (such as having more friends/followers, etc.), but instead through an arbitrary way of determining which content is more akin to certain followers/friends based on past engagement. This is never taking into account how people's interest may change, but nonetheless the way the algorithm works is by pushing people more into their own 'bubble' or 'echo chamber' of things they may like. That is the component of social media that I find is dangerous, and in many ways it is why we've become so divided as a country (let alone as a species).

Written By: Slim95 on 08/13/19 at 5:12 pm

I definitely think social media can be reformed and improved. While I enjoy the concept a lot and don't think it should ever go away, I don't like the apps that are popular today and the way they are designed and the way many companies violates users' privacy. Addiction is not good either but there needs to be more awareness around that. Everything in moderation. If a person can't handle social media (like if a person can't handle alcohol) then they should not be on it for their own well-being.

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/14/19 at 6:33 am

But look, people are always on their phones scrolling everywhere they go, and theres less human interaction in real life with that. Also, people were still having fun and actually had real human interaction, talking to each other, playing with water guns

This is precisely why I've begun my detox. Think of how much we view reality through the lens of social media - I'm sure I'm not the only one here who remembers how significant it was to a romantic relationship to be "Facebook official." And that's depressing as hell: why does Facebook have to christen your relationship to make it legitimate?

We've been trained like circus seals to check our notifications and messages in the morning, to nervously check them at work when we're bored, and for those to be the last thing we check at night. I don't know if I'd call it addiction per se, but it's not healthy.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/14/19 at 7:04 am

Being a bit blunt here. I don't get envious often, so it doesn't matter if I see people on a Facebook driving a Jaguar, or whatever! LMAO.
I think social media is bad in that it feeds our own narcissistic-like traits and people try to one-up one another! Personally, that can get annoying. Also, Twitter is too drama-filled for my taste.  8-P

Written By: Howard on 08/14/19 at 3:02 pm

I continue to read physical newspapers.

Written By: Howard on 08/14/19 at 3:03 pm

It's always good to have face to face conversations.

Written By: Howard on 08/14/19 at 3:05 pm

Being a bit blunt here. I don't get envious often, so it doesn't matter if I see people on a Facebook driving a Jaguar, or whatever! LMAO.
I think social media is bad in that it feeds our own narcissistic-like traits and people try to one-up one another! Personally, that can get annoying. Also, Twitter is too drama-filled for my taste.  8-P

and what about Instagram?

Written By: 80sfan on 08/14/19 at 3:37 pm

and what about Instagram?

That's even worst!  ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 08/14/19 at 5:29 pm

That's even worst!  ;D

Hey I haven't seen you in a while.

Written By: Howard on 08/15/19 at 6:17 am

That's even worst!  ;D

What's so bad about it?

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/27/19 at 10:48 pm

It's coming but won't happen overnight.  Lots of good reasons posted.  It's become so easy and integrated that it's an easy way to wreck your life.  You might as well kiss privacy goodbye.  I'm not on it and at least I have some privacy.  Enough people get tired of it and it will burst.

Just like the housing bubble burst.  It's not like buying and selling houses ceased to exist.  It just went to a more sensible and manageable level.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/27/19 at 11:49 pm

It's coming but won't happen overnight.  Lots of good reasons posted.  It's become so easy and integrated that it's an easy way to wreck your life.  You might as well kiss privacy goodbye.  I'm not on it and at least I have some privacy.  Enough people get tired of it and it will burst.

Just like the housing bubble burst.  It's not like buying and selling houses ceased to exist.  It just went to a more sensible and manageable level.

Social media will never go away.

Written By: Howard on 08/28/19 at 3:04 pm

Social media will never go away.

We need social media now more than we used to in the past.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/28/19 at 3:07 pm

We need social media now more than we used to in the past.

So true.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 09/03/19 at 5:24 pm

We just hit late 2019 2 days ago, and the social media bubble hasnt busted. If that's the case, I guess the same could apply for October to December 2019.

Written By: piecesof93 on 09/03/19 at 7:51 pm

Why would you predict that?

Written By: Howard on 09/06/19 at 2:00 pm

I think social media will continue to live on in the next 5-10 years.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/06/19 at 2:07 pm

I think social media will continue to live on in the next 5-10 years.

Even more than that.

Written By: Skittler on 09/12/19 at 7:53 pm

No!! Let it die and bring the popularity of forums back.

Written By: xenzue on 09/12/19 at 9:21 pm

Realistically social media will just evolve.

Gen Z is trading in Instagram for Tik Tok and already uses a variety of different apps that are normally unknown to previous generations like YOLO, Triller, Yubo, LOMOTIF, VSCO, and Discord to name a few. Gen Z pretty much unanimously abandoned Facebook but still use some older apps like Snapchat and Twitch. Twitter is really the only social network that feels like all generations use it, I've seen people born in 2010 who have an account (they lie about their age as there's a 12-yr old limit or something) Millennials are abandoning facebook at a much slower rate, and half of them are still actively using it. They tend to use Reddit, Instagram, and Twitter, and the younger half of millennials use snapchat.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/12/19 at 9:36 pm

Social media has become more than just communicating with friends... It's become an outlet for advertising. Therefore it won't go away obviously. Where there is money involved and easy and cheap advertising (social media advertising is the cheapest AND most effective) why would it go away? There is nothing better for promoters and advertisers than social media.... I do not understand why people want it to go away. If you guys open a business for yourself and want to grow your business you would not be saying that.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 09/13/19 at 12:37 am

I don’t think this will ever happen tbh. Since AOL chatrooms, social media has been growing since the 90’s. Online dating was a thing back in the mid to late 90’s as well. We might see an end to certain social media companies similar to Myspace but other than that we are to connected to the internet than ever before. When I was in middle school we all had MySpace before it died and this was in 2008. Then Facebook/Twitter became popular and then a few years later Instagram and so on. I wish social media would end, I really miss the times before it was so integrated into our lives. People weren’t as self conscious as they are now and we didn’t depend on validation as much.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/13/19 at 12:49 am

I don't wish it would end. It's not social media's fault, it's people's fault. People have free will. They can choose whether or no to spend a lot of time on social media. Just like you shouldn't blame McDonalds for obesity. It's the person's choice.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/19 at 12:54 am

FB has certainly declined with me, I look at it less often now, still amazed on people when travelling on public transport or walking, are staring at their phones. They are not watching the world as they pass, and cause near bumps with other pedestrians when walking. I have even seen near car accidents when pedestrians walking across roads still staring at their phones...

Written By: Howard on 09/13/19 at 7:38 am

forums should come back.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/19 at 7:41 am

Agreed!

Written By: Slim95 on 09/13/19 at 8:53 am

People were saying the same thing about the television in the mid 20th century. People wanted them out because it was making people socialize less. The question is, if you want social media to go away and blame it for people not socializing, where do you draw the line? Do you go further and say no TV too? No phone? So you ban all technologies? You cannot resolve an issue by banning the item, you just can't. That only causes more problems, stifles growth, and hurts people who are affected.

Check for new replies or respond here...