inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Oh No!! Home Alone and Night at the Museum remakes coming from Disney

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/19 at 8:51 am

Disney has announced it's going to remake Home Alone for its new streaming service. The studio's chief exec Bob Iger said there will also be "reimaginations" of Night At the Museum, Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Cheaper By the Dozen. Disney now owns the franchises after it bought the film studio 20th Century Fox. The new service Disney+ launches in the US in November and is expected to hit the UK next year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49260934

Subject: Re: Oh No!! Home Alone and Night at the Museum remakes coming from Disney

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/07/19 at 9:47 am

Disney sure has a kick on destroying my childhood :\'(.

First it was Pixar and its unimaginative sequels of some of my favorite Pixar films when I was a kid (note; I haven’t seen Toy Story 4 yet, but I’ve heard it was good, but other than that slight exception, most of the sequels made during this decade have been pretty lackluster). Then you have had the God awful Disney Renaissance remakes (The 2019 remake of The Lion Ling being the worst offender 8-P). Now you have them trying to destroy two of my favorite childhoods films from 20th Century Fox!? Home Alone (& to a lesser extent, Home Alone 2) was and still is my favorite Christmas movie. Night At The Museum was a pretty magical and imaginative movie about history and archaeology in a museum (sort of like a ‘real life’ version of Toy Story, but with talking dinosaur skeletons and ancient artifacts).

Come on Disney, don’t you dare put your filthy corporate hands on these masterpieces >:(.

Subject: Re: Oh No!! Home Alone and Night at the Museum remakes coming from Disney

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/19 at 9:52 am

Simply putting it, the world/entertainment industry in running out of original ideas for stories. The same applies to music, there are no good songs anymore.

Written By: Howard on 08/07/19 at 2:23 pm

Simply putting it, the world/entertainment industry in running out of original ideas for stories. The same applies to music, there are no good songs anymore.

Just leave the past in the past.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/19 at 2:47 pm

Just leave the past in the past.  ::)
Indeed, just re-release the originals!

Written By: Retrolover on 08/07/19 at 3:24 pm

These studio chief executives need to stop exercising so much. Too much of anything is never good for you.

“A Night at the Museum” doesn’t even come up in Google images when I search for 2000s movies for children or 2000s movies period. There was a lot going on at the cinemas in the 2000s. :o

Besides, everyone knows “Tropic Thunder”, “Meet the Parents”, and “Zoolander” are the definitive Ben Stiller comedies of the 2000s.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/07/19 at 8:45 pm

You can’t remake “Home Alone”. “Home Alone” was Macaulay’s vehicle.

All of this talk about remakes, reboots, and sequels is giving me nightmares. It’ll be hard to find the originals of these movies and TV shows for future generations.  :o

Written By: StarWars1984 on 08/07/19 at 10:08 pm

Disney is best at ruining people's childhoods. Night of the museum and Home alone were great, and Wimpy Kid is a guilty pleasure of mine, but these remakes are completely pointless.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/07/19 at 10:43 pm

Disney is best at ruining people's childhoods. Night of the museum and Home alone were great, and Wimpy Kid is a guilty pleasure of mine, but these remakes are completely pointless.

These studio chief executives need to be shown every 21st century remake that was made before this year in a locked room . They would change their minds then for sure.

Written By: 2012emo on 08/08/19 at 1:40 am

i'm really okay with these remakes because it give kids today the chance to enjoy the movies but why night at the museum? it's waaaay too soon for a remake. it was part of my childhood and i'm not even out of high school yet tf?

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/08/19 at 3:47 am

I hope they get Adam Sandler to play a big role.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/19 at 6:44 am

i'm really okay with these remakes because it give kids today the chance to enjoy the movies but why night at the museum? it's waaaay too soon for a remake. it was part of my childhood and i'm not even out of high school yet tf?
No one can easily replace Robin Williams in "Night At The Museum".

Written By: Retrolover on 08/08/19 at 7:33 am

Children today need a remake so they can enjoy stories from the past?!  :o

Well, if that’s the case, why wasn’t “The Wizard of Oz” remade for children of the 80s? Instead, we were stuck with the forgettable “Return to Oz”. That movie was scary if you were a kid, by the way. :o

I doubt any child today even wants to watch anything on a Disney streaming service. App games are more important to them. It’s a shame these studio execs can’t put on the new “Ducktales” for their streaming service instead of remakes of movies from the 90s and 2000s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/19 at 7:37 am

Well, if that’s the case, why wasn’t “The Wizard of Oz” remade for children of the 80s? Instead, we were stuck with the forgettable “Return to Oz”. That movie was scary if you were a kid, by the way. :o

There was "The Wix" from 1978, a reimagining of L. Frank Baum's classic 1900 children's novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz featuring an all-black cast, the film was loosely adapted from the 1974 Broadway musical of the same name.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/08/19 at 7:43 am

There was "The Wix" from 1978, a reimagining of L. Frank Baum's classic 1900 children's novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz featuring an all-black cast, the film was loosely adapted from the 1974 Broadway musical of the same name.

I don’t know why our daycares and recreation camps didn’t show “The Wiz” for us in the 80s.

To be honest with you, I’ve never known a child who wanted a remake over the original at any time in my life.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/19 at 7:46 am

I don’t know why our daycares and recreation camps didn’t show “The Wiz” for us in the 80s.

The film is rarely shown now for the finale of the film is set at the area that is now known as "GroundZero" in NYC.

Written By: Howard on 08/08/19 at 7:55 am

Indeed, just re-release the originals!

and even Macaulay Culkin said the reboot will look like crap!

Written By: Howard on 08/08/19 at 7:56 am

No one can easily replace Robin Williams in "Night At The Museum".

Nope, you can't even come close.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/19 at 8:04 am

After thirteen years, it is too soon to remake "Night At The Museum".

Written By: Howard on 08/08/19 at 1:51 pm

And why would Disney remake Home Alone? Are they going to turn Macaulay into some cartoon character?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/19 at 1:53 pm

And why would Disney remake Home Alone? Are they going to turn Macaulay into some cartoon character?
It could be still live action?

Written By: StarWars1984 on 08/08/19 at 1:54 pm

Really? A remake of Wimpy Kid? That movie is literally only 10 years old. It's way too soon for a remake.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/19 at 1:55 pm

You can’t remake “Home Alone”. “Home Alone” was Macaulay’s vehicle.

All of this talk about remakes, reboots, and sequels is giving me nightmares. It’ll be hard to find the originals of these movies and TV shows for future generations.  :o
We also have to remember that Donald Trump appears uncredited in "Home Alone 2: Lost in New York"?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/19 at 1:58 pm

Really? A remake of Wimpy Kid? That movie is literally only 10 years old. It's way too soon for a remake.
I believe there are twelve books of "Wimpy Kid", why not shoot one of them?

Written By: Howard on 08/08/19 at 2:05 pm

We also have to remember that Donald Trump appears uncredited in "Home Alone 2: Lost in New York"?

Could he be in the reboot?

Written By: StarWars1984 on 08/08/19 at 2:32 pm

I believe there are twelve books of "Wimpy Kid", why not shoot one of them?

It's still too early.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/08/19 at 5:05 pm

Maybe they could cast a realistic looking CGI character. That way they would not have to pay Mac the big bucks that he would command for the role.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/08/19 at 5:49 pm

No, they will use an unknown. No one is going to see this remake.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/08/19 at 7:03 pm

The film is rarely shown now for the finale of the film is set at the area that is now known as "GroundZero" in NYC.

You mean the scene when they first arrive in Emerald City? I always liked that scene, with the giant traffic light between the twin towers.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/08/19 at 7:37 pm

I never realized that. I’ll have to look for the ending scene on YouTube.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/10/19 at 1:02 pm

Why does it seem like Night at the Museum keeps getting remade  :o. I've never seen it but I know there's more than one.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/10/19 at 1:09 pm

Why does it seem like Night at the Museum keeps getting remade  :o. I've never seen it but I know there's more than one.

There are other remakes? Must be foreign editions. I know there were lousy sequels, but never a remake. I’ll have to look that up.

Written By: Howard on 08/10/19 at 4:20 pm

There are other remakes? Must be foreign editions. I know there were lousy sequels, but never a remake. I’ll have to look that up.

They were a few sequels I believe.

Written By: 2012emo on 08/28/19 at 9:12 am

Children today need a remake so they can enjoy stories from the past?!  :o

I doubt any child today even wants to watch anything on a Disney streaming service. App games are more important to them. It’s a shame these studio execs can’t put on the new “Ducktales” for their streaming service instead of remakes of movies from the 90s and 2000s.

Remaking old movies gives kids today that chance to be exposed to them is what I meant to say.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 08/28/19 at 2:01 pm

I went to the cinema the other day just to look at whats on, with a friend of mine, and everything that was there was either sequel or a remake apart from The Queen's Corgi! Yes, I think fresh ideas are scarce these days.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/28/19 at 11:19 pm

http://giphygifs.s3.amazonaws.com/media/12XMGIWtrHBl5e/giphy.gif

Written By: Howard on 08/29/19 at 5:38 am

My thoughts exactly, Slim!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/19 at 8:13 am

Exactly, and why?

Written By: Kid of the 2000s on 08/29/19 at 1:50 pm

Originality died in the late 90s. We knew this already

Written By: wixness on 08/29/19 at 2:02 pm

I blame restrictive copyright law, part of which Disney is responsible for. They've called for it, so nothing is allowed to exist unless it's making someone, preferably a big company, money.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/29/19 at 2:05 pm

I blame restrictive copyright law, part of which Disney is responsible for. They've called for it, so nothing is allowed to exist unless it's making someone, preferably a big company, money.

This is true. Stricter copyright laws has stifled creativity all over the board.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/19 at 2:07 pm

Judging by viewing Disney films (the ones pure Disney), I have notice similarities in imagery, storylines, and with the dialogue, Disney copies themselves.

Written By: Howard on 08/30/19 at 7:40 am

Exactly, and why?

cause Hollywood can't come up with anything different. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/30/19 at 7:46 am

cause Hollywood can't come up with anything different. ::)
Not only Hollywood, it is the rest of the industry too!

Check for new replies or respond here...