inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your 2020s Decade Fantasy?

Written By: Slim95 on 08/12/19 at 5:33 pm

This thread is about what you want the 2020s to be like culturally and what you fantasize it to be. It doesn't need to be realistic.

For me, I would want the '20s to kick off with a huge explosion of popularity in electro swing music. So all the clubs, dances, and mainstream songs will be influenced by electro swing. Electro swing would be considered the cool popular genre in music and completely replacing trap and EDM overnight. Also some electro jazz may be popular as a secondary genre. This will be mainly on the radio in terms of pop music. Classic rap and R&B will also make a comeback, as a an alternative genre in the mainstream with some new artists taking it back to '80s and '90s style rap/R&B with some new elements incorporated (no trap). In 2020, it will be like everything changes overnight. Everyone's attitudes and culture will completely change. For fashion, very baggy and tacky clothes will be in style kinda similar to the 1970s but of course with some new stuff incorporated. It will be baggy and and not very colourful but still noticeable and very different compared to 2010s and 2000s fashion. This will be distinctly '20s fashion, popular all throughout the decade. The '20s will be a lot more hippy (not hipster) and very laid back. Politics will no longer be talked about as much, everyone will just do their own thing and mind their own business. Going out for dance parties (with electro swing music) will be in and it will be a fun event for everyone instead of staying home and being online. Social media will still be around though, a new social media site will explode in popularity about people showcasing their life in a more intuitive way through blogs, videos, photos, accomplishments, art, etc and Facebook will completely die off and this new site will replace Facebook and all the other social media sites. YouTube will still be around but a new video site will be in competition with it with new features. Popular celebrities will have actual talent. No more Kim Kardashian types. There will be some 2000s nostalgia but it won't overshadow the '20s culture, it will simply be around for people to reminisce in subtle ways. Movies will be about life and actual plots about life and how people live. Superhero and action movies will be completely dead in the decade and have low sales and reboots of older films will die. Hollywood will have creativity again. TV will have more parody shows and shows similar to Family Guy on the air and not politically correct (kinda like in the 2000s). The whole TV culture of the 2010s (Geeky and mystery shows) will completely die off and be replaced by comedy shows that people will casually watch.

Anyways, I know this isn't realistic at all. But this is how I want the 2020s to be like.  :P More realistically I would imagine being a lot more dystopian and depressing, but a man can dream.

Subject: Re: Your 2020s Decade Fantasy?

Written By: Retrolover on 08/12/19 at 6:05 pm

Billie Eilish will still be on the charts for, at least, two eras of the 2020s. She will either be successful in the 2020s or late Zers and Early Alphas will listen to her “When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?” album for almost all of the early 2020s.

“Fortnite” junk will be everywhere for the last time in the early 2020s or a new updated edition of the game will be made.

The live action Disney films will start to lose steam in the 2020s.

2000s parties and nostalgia will be on the rise.

Written By: exodus08 on 08/12/19 at 6:53 pm

I want to see a '10s backlash in the '20s. The SJWs and Rightwingers need to put in place by the people caught in the middle. The death of Trap, Mumble rap, Indie, Bro Country, Tropical House and the death of reboots and remakes. New style of Fashion and Music to replace anything this decade has given us.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 08/12/19 at 9:15 pm

As a Youtuber however, it would be scary if other competitors are on the video site game, because I'm a YouTuber that's trying to grow, as I'm reaching my dreams, but when other competitors knock YouTube off, it will just crush my dreams of being a YouTuber...

Written By: violet_shy on 08/12/19 at 9:30 pm

No more fashion and fad repeats from previous decades please!! I want to see new fads more futuristic and exciting!

Written By: Slim95 on 08/12/19 at 10:13 pm

As a Youtuber however, it would be scary if other competitors are on the video site game, because I'm a YouTuber that's trying to grow, as I'm reaching my dreams, but when other competitors knock YouTube off, it will just crush my dreams of being a YouTuber...

Probably won't happen. I wish it did though. YouTube is a monopoly now and needs competition.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/19 at 12:40 am

A re-introduction of a better standard of songs in the charts (not rap, etc).

Written By: Howard on 08/13/19 at 7:16 am

I would like to see more flying cars in the air and less on the road.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/19 at 1:24 pm

Like BTTF?

Written By: Howard on 08/13/19 at 2:01 pm

Like BTTF?

Yeah that would be cool but then airplanes would get distracted.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/13/19 at 2:06 pm

2023. This is so exciting! I can not wait

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/flying-cars-could-take-soon-2023-n957276

Written By: Howard on 08/13/19 at 2:18 pm

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/flying-cars-could-take-soon-2023-n957276

That's not for another 4 more years so you never know.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/13/19 at 2:25 pm

That's not for another 4 more years so you never know.

But it's still exciting, isn't it!!

I can't possibly be the only one excited over this...it's only 4 years away!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/19 at 2:48 pm

Solar powered?

Written By: violet_shy on 08/13/19 at 2:56 pm

Solar powered?

....it's exciting?  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/19 at 3:40 pm

But how can the cars be policed in the skies?

Written By: Slim95 on 08/13/19 at 4:28 pm

Flying cars would be awesome  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/19 at 4:40 pm

Flying cars would be awesome  8)
How about all forms of transport, bus and trains, for example?

Written By: Slim95 on 08/13/19 at 4:46 pm

Yes and planes too  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/13/19 at 4:48 pm

I would like to see more renewables and less fossil fuels. More environmental products and less plastic that is made from fossil fuels.

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 08/13/19 at 4:50 pm

....it's exciting  :\'(

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 08/14/19 at 8:16 am

Imagine if pigs can fly by 2025  ;D

Written By: violet_shy on 08/14/19 at 9:41 am

Imagine if pigs can fly by 2025  ;D

Robotic pigs!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/19 at 10:05 am

Robotic pigs!
Robotic cars too?

Written By: Howard on 08/14/19 at 2:56 pm

Then the highways can be car-free.

Written By: Howard on 08/14/19 at 2:57 pm

You mean police cars? They can ride in a police plane.

Written By: Howard on 08/14/19 at 2:59 pm

They'd be going at warp speed, speeding up time for passengers.

Written By: Howard on 08/14/19 at 3:00 pm

Robotic pigs!

robot people.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/19 at 3:01 pm

They'd be going at warp speed, speeding up time for passengers.
With altitude added to the SatNav?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/19 at 3:03 pm

You mean police cars? They can ride in a police plane.
Still with flashing blue lights and sirens?

Written By: 80sfan on 08/14/19 at 3:40 pm

I want to see a '10s backlash in the '20s. The SJWs and Rightwingers need to put in place by the people caught in the middle. The death of Trap, Mumble rap, Indie, Bro Country, Tropical House and the death of reboots and remakes. New style of Fashion and Music to replace anything this decade has given us.

You're too sane for this world.  :o

Written By: Howard on 08/14/19 at 3:41 pm

Yeah I hope so.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/14/19 at 3:42 pm

I would love to have adult contemporary come back to the mainstream music industry.  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/19 at 3:56 pm

I will not be those Google Cars?

Written By: violet_shy on 08/14/19 at 5:08 pm

I will not be those Google Cars?

But I'm still excited!!  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/19 at 5:08 pm

But I'm still excited!!  :D
No driving license required?

Written By: violet_shy on 08/14/19 at 5:15 pm

No driving license required?

Nope!

Written By: Frodomar449 on 08/14/19 at 5:44 pm

I hope that we see some throwback culture to the 2000s, especially the early-mid part.

Written By: GameXcaper on 08/14/19 at 6:38 pm

I have a pretty detailed fantasy:

Fashion: Baggy clothes, especially for men. Baggy clothing and straight cut clothing. Bootcut pants will come back again and replace joggers, skinny jeans and mom jeans. Ankle crops will disappear and won't return for a while. Women will wear flares again and Men will wear baggy or straight cut boot cut pants that cover the top of their shoes. Shirts will become tight fitting to show off slender waistlines, muscles and upper body detail for men and women. Ripped clothing will also become popular. Near the end of the decade Tech clothing such as clothes that have led parts will start becoming more mainstream, and may even contain cool mechanical parts like fans and other features or even screens. Graphic T-shirts, flashy belts and tucking in your sheesh will become a thing again. Shoes will become increasingly futuristic. Flip flops and open-toed shoes will become more popular among women like they were in the 2000s. 90s and 2000s fashion will be what defines many things, such as sunglasses from that time period and wearing flashy necklaces, chains and jewelry, but in a more discreet way. But the 2020s, unlike the 2010s will try and do many new things of its own. Structured jackets will become big such as varsity jackets, jean jackets, and leather jackets. This is already starting to happen for guys, and I am starting to see baggy clothing, boot cuts, open button shirts with an under-t-shirt or tank top, and more guys tucking their shirts and t-shirts in. Other things include tight-fitting tank tops, headbands, wristbands, shmaghs, and bandanas, patterned dress shirts, three-quarter shorts, cargo shorts and pants, and much more. For suits, men will wear long dress pants unlike the short ankle revealing dress pants of today, dress shoes will go back to being leather instead of suede and will go back to natural colors instead of the colorful ones in the 2010s. Fedoras will become popular but only when worn with a suit, like in the first half of the 20th century and will lose their neckbeard image. Hats of all type will be in fashion from sunhats to backward baseball caps to complement the longer hairstyles. Skirts and dresses will return to the spotlight for women's fashion after being absent for nearly a decade, but leggings and skimpy shorts will still remain popular. I see the waistline becoming lower as well as showing your midriff becomes big again. In general, both genders will wear baggier bottoms and tighter tops, unlike today where they wear baggy tops and skinny bottoms. Blingy and more excessive clothing will also return but won't be extremely flashy like in the 2000s.

Hairstyles: Massive backlash to the clean-cut over product based hairstyles of the 2010s, much more variety, more natural, longer and medium length hairstyles, everyone not having the same hairstyle (especially the guys). Beards will die out and clean-shaven or the stubble will return instead. Bushy overdone eyebrows and overdone Instagram makeup will die out and be mocked. This will be replaced by thin eyebrows for women that are more natural-looking and more natural-looking makeup.

Culture: Instead of focusing on normal people we will again go back to idolizing those who are better than us. Models will actually look more beautiful rather than be different or unique like they have in the 2010s. Gen Z will dominate the 2020s and their culture will reach their peak in the late 20s and early 30s and eventually die out by the late 30s when alpha culture becomes big. Skateboarding will experience another big resurgence like the late 90s and early 2000s. Social media will receive a huge backlash and people on it will be ridiculed for having no life. People who become famous will be famous for being very talented or skilled at something rather than for no reason. There will be a backlash to the excessive usage of technology and people will try and moderate themselves and go outside a lot more. Masculine men and feminine women will return to the spotlight as a backlash to the 2010s power girl and metrosexual modern male. Meaning large muscles, albeit natural ones and body hair will become big again like the 80s, but this time steroid users will be heavily looked down upon. The ideal female body goes from being curvy to being slim like in the 2000s. Drug and alcohol use continues to go down. Wierd hair colors will return to the underground and more natural colors will return. Tanning will continue to become more unpopular amongst white people but naturally tanned people will still be fine. Anime culture will become more and more mainstream and will start heavily influencing the west. Break dancing will become popular again alongside extreme sports and motorsports. Martial arts will also become more popular again. Thrill-seeking and dangerous activities will become more popular and people will try and break records. RC vehicles and hobby vehicles will resurge after taking a backseat to drones in the 2010s.

Aesthetic: Much more cyberpunk and futuristic, a combination of the 80s, 90s, and 2000s. A combination of maximalism, skeuomorphism, and minimalism. NO FLAT DESIGN. Colors will be expressive, gradients, shadows, 3d shapes, and other complex designs will come back but won't look as cluttered or bad as in previous decades. Plain white with black accents and colored accents will become popular for all kinds of technology, meaning they will have a mostly white look with some black parts and some colored parts. LEDs and screens will become more ubiquitous and will become decoration and featured as paintings, windows or portraits. The hipster aesthetic and trying to revive past cultural trends will die out in the 2010s and will be replaced by a love for the future because the 2020s feel and sound much more futuristic than the 2010s

Music: Combination of natural and electronic. Rock will get a resurgence but will be much more electronic, heavy usage of synths and pianos. Much more melody-based rather than the 2010s which is more beat-based. Music will become bubbly at the beginning but will get darker near the end. Music will go from being more voice-based to more instrument-based and will sound much more ambient.

Politics: Men's issues and rights will become huge, movements like MGTOW will become drastically more popular through the internet. While 4th wave feminism will go underneath again as it did during the 80s and the 2000s and will resurge in the 2030s.  There will be 3 girls for 2 boys on average at University/College and Universities will become less trusted and will lose power due to virtual classes and learning on the internet. Marriage will continue to dwindle and be trashed until eventually, divorce laws change. People will get tired of political polarization and eventually, the world will become more relaxed and moderate and will just want to relax and forget about the 2010s which there will be a huge backlash of. Males and Females will be less at odds than they were in the 2010s and especially near the end. A combination of conservatism and liberalism in the form of a more moderate or libertarian society. Greed and excess will return like the 80s and 2000s and Gen Zs will be like Yuppie 2.0. The economy will be great and booming for the first time in a long time due to all of the technology. Asia becomes extremely dominant and by the end up the decade will as much if not more influence than the west and India and the rest of Asia will follow.

Movies and Games: Virtual reality will not make huge gains until they can incorporate body movement into it. That will come at the very end of the decade at the earliest. Movie CGI will reach its peak and so will video game graphics reaching photorealism, you won't be able to tell the difference. Superhero movies will die out very quickly and be replaced with comedy and science fiction movies, that get darker as the decade goes along. Traditional games such as early 3d games from the 90s and 2000s and 16-bit games from the 90s will experience a resurgence like 8-bit games in the 2010s. This also applies to flash games as well. Cinematic movie-like games will lose steam in the 2020s as open-world games continue to become larger and more realistic and provide more things to do.

Technology: Way to much to talk about, I could write an entire book based on just this.

+More.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/15/19 at 5:10 am

I hope that we see some throwback culture to the 2000s, especially the early-mid part.

I'm hoping for the mid 2000s to come back around in the early 2020's, even to the point of MySpace coming back with an updated mobile app which integrates the features of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/15/19 at 5:14 am

The return of the mullet.

Written By: Howard on 08/15/19 at 6:10 am

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fc/Victoria_Police_%28CHC_Helicopters_Australia%29_Eurocopter_AS-365N-3_Dauphin_2_Vabre.jpg

That could happen.

Written By: Howard on 08/15/19 at 6:12 am

or better yet, return of the Afro.

Written By: Dundee on 08/15/19 at 11:26 am

People whining about reboots and remakes on here, yet want the 2020s to be essentially an 90s/00s reboot/remake 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Written By: Dundee on 08/15/19 at 11:28 am

Also:

Hell to the f- no  8-P 8-P

Written By: wixness on 08/15/19 at 12:50 pm

I want the 2020s to be a lot like the 2000s. A return to the grunge-y aesthetice with emo and scene coming back. A return to the days when we could keep copies of the music, films and/or television we love, not having entirely been engulfed by streaming, but instead, as another thriving legal means of consuming content. Culture is priceless - it should not be something that should be rented in a desperate excuse of making someone else money, and then locked away from the public forever after that.

I imagine the introduction of great new technologies, perhaps something like quantum computers and/or other technologies helping our societies finding the next cure to debilitating diseases or taking us to space. I hope that we reduce our reliance on fossil fuels - I even hope my first car will be mostly or completely electric. I hope my house won't rely on fossil fuels too. I dream to see white Christmases again.

I want to see people abandon violence and hate against women and LGBT+ individuals. I want religion to play less of a role in their lives, or be totally absent from their lives. Heck, I even want to see the very notion of gender being removed as well, so it no longer dictates what clothes we can and can't wear depending on what body parts we have, and so humanity can be more united together and so I can stop envying women.

I want to hear music that oozes emotion, and not what we have currently which sounds emotionally sterile or with a deliberately terrible choice of notes strung together. I want a revival of rock music too, the very genre that earned the ire of religious fundamentalists, who are among the most repressive people of all.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/15/19 at 12:52 pm

The return in the US to 3%+ GDP growth. I don't know anything about economics, but I'm not sure if that's possible anymore.  :o

Written By: 2001 on 08/15/19 at 3:03 pm

You can be members of both YouTube and the other site.

People whining about reboots and remakes on here, yet want the 2020s to be essentially an 90s/00s reboot/remake 🤔🤔🤔🤔

🤔

Written By: Slim95 on 08/15/19 at 7:58 pm

I don't care what happens but if electro swing music becomes mainstream I promise I will love the decade and consider it the best ever.  :D 

Written By: annimal on 08/15/19 at 10:14 pm

well as far as music and anything else with sound I need better hearing products and or something I can do just with text messages or something

Written By: xenzue on 08/16/19 at 1:58 am

My hopeful 2020s predictions off the top of my head:

- An artist in the scale of Prince (universal acclaim/massive impact) will rise in the next decade. They were born between 1996 to 2004 and will become one of the first Gen Z legends

- Meat consumption falls dramatically in the western world, with plant-based meats and artificial meat going mainstream by the early/mid 2020s. The decline in meat consumption will help combat climate change

- A very talented artist becomes the first openly trans act in history to go #1 on both the Billboard Hot 100 and Rolling Stone Chart

- The archetypal 2010s millennial influencer dies in favor of a new brand of Gen Z micro-influencers who are the tastemakers and entrepreneurs of the 2020s generation

- A more polished/renewed version of Y2K fashion goes mainstream in the early 2020s, which is then replaced by afro-futuristic apparel and other innovative fashions created by Millennial and Gen Z-owned fashion houses

- Gun restriction laws are successfully passed in the early 2020s, resulting in a significant decrease of mass shootings in the US

- Massive changes in both the Republican and Democratic parties take place after the 2020 election

- Cars start to experiment more in design and features, and electric cars completely eclipse gas cars by the late 2020s

- Androgyny goes mainstream again after a 15 year long hiatus

- Several new music sub genres explode in popularity, and the pop sound goes from 2010s trap/EDM to a more syncopated style inspired by Timbaland and The Neptunes in the early 00s. Glitter pop and Art R&B makes its debut in the 2020s (these genre names were coined in a Discord group i’m in lol)

- A VR/AR craze takes hold of the world in the mid 2020s

- Punktrap and Emorap merge with Bedroom pop to create a new Rock sound

- 4th Wave feminism dies in favor of a more inclusive and less divisive theory/movement

- A Space Age renaissance blossoms in throughout the 2020s/2030s. The first martian human, animal, and plant will be born in the 2020s, and by 2029 a permanent moon outpost will be established

Written By: 2001 on 08/16/19 at 6:06 am

I don't care what happens but if electro swing music becomes mainstream I promise I will love the decade and consider it the best ever.  :D

I would have never suspected that you would be a fan of such a dance-y genre ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/16/19 at 7:23 am

I want the return of funk and disco.

Written By: Howard on 08/16/19 at 7:24 am

I want to see things happen like in the cartoon The Jetsons.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/16/19 at 8:49 am

We will likely reach the 'uncanny valley' during the 2020s:

SB58d6yJsloDbaLQ0Hp9Sc

This is something I've been lookin forward to since I was a kid :D. With how powerful graphic cards are becoming, and with that only to accelerate in the 2020s, soon we're going to get to a point where CGI is indistinguishable to reality. A bit morbid, but equally exciting at the same time.

Written By: wixness on 08/16/19 at 10:42 am

We will likely reach the 'uncanny valley' during the 2020s:

SB58d6yJsloDbaLQ0Hp9Sc

This is something I've been lookin forward to since I was a kid :D . With how powerful graphic cards are becoming, and with that only to accelerate in the 2020s, soon we're going to get to a point where CGI is indistinguishable to reality. A bit morbid, but equally exciting at the same time.

I too am looking forward to this. Games have been my escape to the life I didn't like having.

Written By: annimal on 08/16/19 at 10:45 am

gotta have some funk  yeah

Written By: exodus08 on 08/16/19 at 1:15 pm

I'd rather have Eurodance and Trance make a comeback.

Written By: Howard on 08/16/19 at 1:18 pm

I'd rather have Eurodance and Trance make a comeback.

80's can make a comeback too as well.

Written By: exodus08 on 08/16/19 at 1:41 pm

8-P No thanks.

Written By: Howard on 08/17/19 at 2:13 pm

8-P No thanks.

Why not, Exodus?

Written By: Retrolover on 08/17/19 at 4:20 pm

Did you like the old time 80s (1980 to 1985) or modern 80s (1986 to 1989) best?

Written By: Howard on 08/18/19 at 2:35 pm

Did you like the old time 80s (1980 to 1985) or modern 80s (1986 to 1989) best?

I liked the years 1980-1985.

Written By: Dundee on 08/18/19 at 6:29 pm

Oh so you love the early 2010s after all?
X7SIEDmCwZ4
7E9Ed9DUQoQ
Join the club Slim2010  :D :D :D

Written By: violet_shy on 08/18/19 at 6:45 pm

I will eternally always love the 1980s...but enough is enough. I want something new in the 2020s.  :)

Written By: Slim95 on 08/18/19 at 7:38 pm

Shruggie when I say mainstream I do not mean "popular" online or used as a sample in some songs. I mean every pop song on the radio being a complete electro swing song in every single way, not just a sampling or elements thrown in. A literal complete electro swing song with the singing accents and everything used by popular artists today. To the point of when you go to the club it will be electro swing only that's being played and what people dance to. That is my dream, but it probably won't happen of course.

Written By: Dundee on 08/20/19 at 6:27 am

Shruggie when I say mainstream I do not mean "popular" online or used as a sample in some songs. I mean every pop song on the radio being a complete electro swing song in every single way, not just a sampling or elements thrown in. A literal complete electro swing song with the singing accents and everything used by popular artists today. To the point of when you go to the club it will be electro swing only that's being played and what people dance to. That is my dream, but it probably won't happen of course.
Well then it's not Electro Swing since sampling of Swing songs is exactly what makes the genre.

Why would a Swing ensemble willingly record music only for it to be drowned under EDM production...?

Written By: Slim95 on 08/20/19 at 1:27 pm

Well then it's not Electro Swing since sampling of Swing songs is exactly what makes the genre.

Why would a Swing ensemble willingly record music only for it to be drowned under EDM production...?

I still want it to happen I never said it will just a fantasy.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 08/23/19 at 12:27 pm

Things that will happen so far in 2020-21 (Pop Culture):

Games: Cyberpunk 2077, Halo Infinite, Dying Light 2, Watch Dogs Legion, Borderlands 3, COD Modern Warfare 4, NBA 2K20, 2K21, and 2K22, and Doom Eternal.

Fashion: 90s-inspired clothing will likely go out of style, and Y2K fashion will have a revival but improved upon it (I really hope this happens)

Music: Billie Eilish and Khalid will remain very relevant, Hip Hop would be more on the bouncy direction or pop/R&B feel, and electro swing will likely be huge as a successor to EDM forms, and maybe electro jazz

TV; Netflix shows like Riverdale, and Stranger Things are gonna continue during this era as new seasons are coming up, Doctor Who's season 12 will be released and Jodie Wittaker will be more pronounced, as she's the first female doctor

Movies: Sonic The Hedgehog will hopefully get a good redesign, Fast and Furious 9, Avatar 2, Indiana Jones 5, Black Widow, and Onward would gain steam.

Written By: xenzue on 08/24/19 at 2:40 am

Y2K fashion will definitely come back, it just needs time to evolve into a unique early 20s variation of it. A lot of new pop/hip hop songs are heavily inspired by the early 00s too.

Written By: 2001 on 08/24/19 at 7:36 pm

Y2K fashion will definitely come back, it just needs time to evolve into a unique early 20s variation of it. A lot of new pop/hip hop songs are heavily inspired by the early 00s too.

I want to say YIKES but the late 90s revival going on right now is rather tasteful. If the 2020s can somehow make 2000s fashion look good then I will tolerate it

Written By: violet_shy on 08/24/19 at 8:59 pm

I don't even notice the 90s revival...and I actually lived through the 90s! Where's the 90s fashion that everyone is trying to bring back?...I don't see it.

Please let there be more futuristic fashion in the 2020s. Change is good.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 08/29/19 at 10:02 am

My fantasy: In the 2020s, people won't hate you for being emo. They PROBABLY won't say anything real bloody stupid in response like 'I remember middle school, too.'
Colleges will not EXPECT you to do their assignments online, either.

Written By: Kid of the 2000s on 08/29/19 at 3:08 pm

My fantasy is for grime to be recognised worldwide Its a fusion genre of Hip-Hop dancehall and garage,

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/19 at 3:16 pm

I visualise in the future there will be virtual memory bank, in which personal memories can be stored by downloading, but there will be one huge drawback to this, it may still be a struggle to remember the password.

Written By: Howard on 08/30/19 at 7:39 am

I visualise in the future there will be virtual memory bank, in which personal memories can be stored by downloading, but there will be one huge drawback to this, it may still be a struggle to remember the password.

Where will this be stored?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/30/19 at 7:47 am

Where will this be stored?
In a memory bank somewhere.

Written By: a_reminder on 08/30/19 at 11:38 pm

I wish to see more general awareness of mental health and digital minimalism. I want it to go back to the early 2000's in a sense where there is a clear divide and balance between life in the real world and life on the internet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/19 at 1:07 am

I wish to see more general awareness of mental health and digital minimalism. I want it to go back to the early 2000's in a sense where there is a clear divide and balance between life in the real world and life on the internet.
How about the times before Internet was invented?

Written By: VHSfan0101 on 08/31/19 at 4:29 am

Things that will happen so far in 2020-21 (Pop Culture):

Games: Cyberpunk 2077, Halo Infinite, Dying Light 2, Watch Dogs Legion, Borderlands 3, COD Modern Warfare 4, NBA 2K20, 2K21, and 2K22, and Doom Eternal.

Fashion: 90s-inspired clothing will likely go out of style, and Y2K fashion will have a revival but improved upon it (I really hope this happens)

Music: Billie Eilish and Khalid will remain very relevant, Hip Hop would be more on the bouncy direction or pop/R&B feel, and electro swing will likely be huge as a successor to EDM forms, and maybe electro jazz

TV; Netflix shows like Riverdale, and Stranger Things are gonna continue during this era as new seasons are coming up, Doctor Who's season 12 will be released and Jodie Wittaker will be more pronounced, as she's the first female doctor

Movies: Sonic The Hedgehog will hopefully get a good redesign, Fast and Furious 9, Avatar 2, Indiana Jones 5, Black Widow, and Onward would gain steam.

Early2010sGuy, when you said, "or pop/R&B feel," when you talked about the direction that hip-hop will be going in during the 2020s, were you referring to the soulful sound that hip-hop had during the early-2000s (For example, the sound that Kanye West's hit song "All Falls Down" had)?

Written By: a_reminder on 08/31/19 at 8:18 am

How about the times before Internet was invented?

No.  The internet is a powerful tool that we need, it just can't take over our lives.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/19 at 8:26 am

No.  The internet is a powerful tool that we need, it just can't take over our lives.
Up to around 1998, I lived happily without it

Written By: Howard on 08/31/19 at 2:32 pm

In a memory bank somewhere.

That would be impossible.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/19 at 2:33 pm

Up to around 1998, I lived happily without it

everybody lived well without the internet before 1998.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/19 at 2:38 pm

everybody lived well without the internet before 1998.
Not everybody!

From wiki:
"The history of the Internet has its origin in the efforts of wide area networking that originated in several computer science laboratories in the United States, United Kingdom, and France. The U.S. Department of Defense awarded contracts as early as the 1960s, including for the development of the ARPANET project, directed by Robert Taylor and managed by Lawrence Roberts. The first message was sent over the ARPANET in 1969 from computer science Professor Leonard Kleinrock's laboratory at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) to the second network node at Stanford Research Institute (SRI)."

What change everything was with Tim Berners-Lee and his invention of the World Wide Web in 1989.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/31/19 at 2:52 pm

Going back to the good old days is a good fantasy indeed but it would never happen no one would go backwards unless some huge event happened that destroyed the internet and all technology and brought us back to the stone age where we would need to ride horses for transport again. It won't happen.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/31/19 at 3:09 pm

Going back to the good old days is a good fantasy indeed but it would never happen no one would go backwards unless some huge event happened that destroyed the internet and all technology and brought us back to the stone age where we would need to ride horses for transport again. It won't happen.  ;D

We need a time machine.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/15/19 at 6:45 pm

I really hope parody culture comes back, politically correct culture dies, there are trends and geeks are no longer considered "cool" if you know what I mean (I know this part is controversial). But I kind of want a culture like how it was in the 2000s or in the 20th century. Everything feels too bland right now.  Fun culture comes from creativity, and copyright laws preventing parodies and politically correct culture stifles creativity and humour. One of the reasons parodies are dead is because of politically correct culture.

Written By: wixness on 09/15/19 at 6:55 pm

I really hope parody culture comes back, politically correct culture dies, there are trends and geeks are no longer considered "cool" if you know what I mean (I know this part is controversial). But I kind of want a culture like how it was in the 2000s or in the 20th century. Everything feels too bland right now.  Fun culture comes from creativity, and copyright laws preventing parodies and politically correct culture stifles creativity and humour. One of the reasons parodies are dead is because of politically correct culture.

I think copyright laws are just installed just to protect people from losing money. I hardly think it's used to censor politically incorrect stuff mostly (but I have seen a few examples).

I do have some of the 2000s psyche. I prefer the 2010s for improved LGBT+ rights, but I don't want to be seen as a geek or a nerd. Then again, there's stuff I don't like about the mainstream too.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/15/19 at 7:13 pm

I think copyright laws are just installed just to protect people from losing money. I hardly think it's used to censor politically incorrect stuff mostly (but I have seen a few examples).

I do have some of the 2000s psyche. I prefer the 2010s for improved LGBT+ rights, but I don't want to be seen as a geek or a nerd. Then again, there's stuff I don't like about the mainstream too.

Yes but strict copyright laws stifle creativity. That's one of the reasons that aren't related to PC culture for the decline of humour, comedy, creativity, and parody. But PC culture is another reason too.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 09/16/19 at 7:56 pm

Early2010sGuy, when you said, "or pop/R&B feel," when you talked about the direction that hip-hop will be going in during the 2020s, were you referring to the soulful sound that hip-hop had during the early-2000s (For example, the sound that Kanye West's hit song "All Falls Down" had)?

Maybe. If we get a pop-R&B sound (No scrubs, If you had my love, Independent Women part 1, etc.), which was the successor to New Jack Swing in the Y2K era, that would be cool.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 09/17/19 at 12:21 am

I want us to finally have an identity in the 20’s. I feel like every decade has its own identity. The 2000’s is starting to emerge and I’m finally starting to see it’s own unique identity, especially with the Y2K aesthetic. I can kind of see a 2010’s identity as well, it consists of skinny jeans, iphones, nostalgia, marvel films, great horror movies, mumble rap, edm, trap, etc. But I actually want an entirely new identity in the 20’s. A new style of pants, a new style of fashion, music, hair styles, technology, etc.

It would be nice if we can have a whole new genre too. I would love to have a new sound that influences the 20’s. It would be nice if technology advances especially in the medical field. I hope our economy stays strong as well.

Written By: Dj. on 09/17/19 at 11:56 am

nothing, i feel that i too old
i just dont feel any nostalgia for anything past 2015 these days

"my time" was birth-age 26

so i just dont care about decades outside of my nostalgia window anymore

Written By: violet_shy on 09/17/19 at 4:51 pm

I want us to finally have an identity in the 20’s. I feel like every decade has its own identity. The 2000’s is starting to emerge and I’m finally starting to see it’s own unique identity, especially with the Y2K aesthetic. I can kind of see a 2010’s identity as well, it consists of skinny jeans, iphones, nostalgia, marvel films, great horror movies, mumble rap, edm, trap, etc. But I actually want an entirely new identity in the 20’s. A new style of pants, a new style of fashion, music, hair styles, technology, etc.

It would be nice if we can have a whole new genre too. I would love to have a new sound that influences the 20’s. It would be nice if technology advances especially in the medical field. I hope our economy stays strong as well.

I like this reply. There should also be new trends and movie ideas.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/17/19 at 5:17 pm

I like this reply. There should also be new trends and movie ideas.
With so much used for music and storylines in the past, it is hard to be original now.

Written By: wixness on 09/18/19 at 5:18 am

With so much used for music and storylines in the past, it is hard to be original now.

That and restrictive copyright law too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/19 at 5:37 am

That and restrictive copyright law too.
So true, it is only just in recent years that copyright for "Happy Birthday To You" expired. Hence movies, it was "For He (or She) A Jolly Fellow" was sung at birthday party.

Written By: goodbants on 09/20/19 at 4:53 pm

I hope things are more stable. I hope we have a president that’s uncontroversial and politically moderate. I truly hope we crack down on using less plastic and not destroying the environment. I find myself not agreeing with a lot of the things people wish for the 2020s on this thread, though. Maybe cause I’m younger (20) so I don’t wish to go back to how a lot of things used to be in the 2000s. Like I like geek culture and I’m all for continuing to break gender norms. I like how the fashion is very 90s aesthetic and I hope that continues and maybe evolves into something new.

However I do wish for an awareness of the effects of social media addiction. I think there will be campaigns about it to spread awareness of the effects like we don’t have now. We’ll continue to understand mental health better.

Also VR my dude!! I’m so excited for that stuff. I’ve never tried it. I’ve also never been much of a gamer but I feel like if/when VR becomes popular I’ll have to hop on board. I feel like it’ll be a huge thing that inspires all kinds of new art and virtual realities.

If there is one thing I wish for, though, I wish for more optimism and stability. I don’t have high hopes with the way things are going now, though. I truly wish we’ll be able to say, “Welp. The first two decades of the 21st century were sh*t. But at least we’re figuring things out now.”

Written By: Slim95 on 09/20/19 at 5:32 pm

I hope things are more stable. I hope we have a president that’s uncontroversial and politically moderate. I truly hope we crack down on using less plastic and not destroying the environment. I find myself not agreeing with a lot of the things people wish for the 2020s on this thread, though. Maybe cause I’m younger (20) so I don’t wish to go back to how a lot of things used to be in the 2000s. Like I like geek culture and I’m all for continuing to break gender norms. I like how the fashion is very 90s aesthetic and I hope that continues and maybe evolves into something new.

However I do wish for an awareness of the effects of social media addiction. I think there will be campaigns about it to spread awareness of the effects like we don’t have now. We’ll continue to understand mental health better.

Also VR my dude!! I’m so excited for that stuff. I’ve never tried it. I’ve also never been much of a gamer but I feel like if/when VR becomes popular I’ll have to hop on board. I feel like it’ll be a huge thing that inspires all kinds of new art and virtual realities.

If there is one thing I wish for, though, I wish for more optimism and stability. I don’t have high hopes with the way things are going now, though. I truly wish we’ll be able to say, “Welp. The first two decades of the 21st century were sh*t. But at least we’re figuring things out now.”

I've used VR lots of times that it became old for me... Since 2015 I've been using it. It's nothing special really, really cool the first time but gets boring after a while.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 10/21/19 at 7:59 am

Will Wright will bring together a second Maxis and release an improved version of Spore (for instance, you actually have the fish stage of evolution in this new 2020s game). Or maybe someone else will do this, since Will Wright is probably about to retire.

Perhaps it will have the title Spore was originally going to be named, 'Sim Everything'. Or, if one person commenting on beta footage is to be believed, 'Sim Cosmos'.

Sim Everything will keep the ability to see ribcages in your evolving creature if you hover the cursor over the creature's body in Edit mode, both when making a creature to drop in your file(s) and when evolving a creature that you're actively playing the role of.

You can be more creative with body parts, or at least there will be a greater variety of them you can attach to your creature. More realistic skin patterns will be in paint mode. Think of the realistic quality of Will Wright's Willosaur when it comes to the small size of their scales and how shiny the scales looked, for instance, rather than the enlargened scales that EA went with when it comes to making your creature look reptilian.

The 2020s game will have an adventure creator already in it, an adventure creator the likes of which you find in Spore Galactic Adventures.

Edit: You have the freedom to create/evolve invertebrates before, in the latter case, you introduce a spine and, perhaps later on, ribs into your creature's body. You can also go in create mode to create an invertebrate that doesn't have ribs specifically.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 10/26/19 at 10:09 pm

Will Wright will bring together a second Maxis and release an improved version of Spore (for instance, you actually have the fish stage of evolution in this new 2020s game). Or maybe someone else will do this, since Will Wright is probably about to retire.

Perhaps it will have the title Spore was originally going to be named, 'Sim Everything'. Or, if one person commenting on beta footage is to be believed, 'Sim Cosmos'.

Sim Everything will keep the ability to see ribcages in your evolving creature if you hover the cursor over the creature's body in Edit mode, both when making a creature to drop in your file(s) and when evolving a creature that you're actively playing the role of.

You can be more creative with body parts, or at least there will be a greater variety of them you can attach to your creature. More realistic skin patterns will be in paint mode. Think of the realistic quality of Will Wright's Willosaur when it comes to the small size of their scales and how shiny the scales looked, for instance, rather than the enlargened scales that EA went with when it comes to making your creature look reptilian.

The 2020s game will have an adventure creator already in it, an adventure creator the likes of which you find in Spore Galactic Adventures.

Edit: You have the freedom to create/evolve invertebrates before, in the latter case, you introduce a spine and, perhaps later on, ribs into your creature's body. You can also go in create mode to create an invertebrate that doesn't have ribs specifically.

And you'll be able to have a flora creator this time... Along with being able to sculpt your homeplanet from scratch.

Check for new replies or respond here...