inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are Undercuts and Hipster Beards still popular in 2019?

Written By: thisismelemon on 08/13/19 at 5:27 am

Here are a few Pictures of the styles i am talking about :

https://www.menshairstyletrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/ambarberia-undercut-big-beard.jpg

https://beautifyatlanta.com/wp-content/uploads/parser/undercut-and-beard-1.jpg

http://www.picsbucket.photos/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/22-back-undercut-haircut-with-beard-for-Mens-2018-2019.jpg

I think this style will be remembered as a very stereotypical Mid 10's trend and it  is well past its peak now in 2019 in my opinion , but beards in general still seem pretty popular now but are much shorter and trimmed comparing to the mid 10's

What do you guys think?

Subject: Re: Are Undercuts and Hipster Beards still popular in 2019?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/19 at 5:34 am

Beards are currently in the news in the UK, for the first time beards are now being allowed to be worn in the Royal Air Force.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49313406

btw, under current rules in the Army, beards are permitted for operational reasons, such as covert operations.

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/13/19 at 7:21 am

In the U.S., the hipster beard is out. It’s been replaced by the Taliban beard:

https://countryrebel.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/jase-beard-480x270.jpg

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/13/19 at 5:38 pm

Beards are very still popular (and I personally don't see that stopping anytime soon in all honesty), however, beards are a lot more 'clean cut' and polished than the 'hipster beards' of the mid 2010s. There's this informative (and unintentionally funny ;D) tutorial video on YouTube, from like 2017, about how to properly trim your beard:

OdvgHaqrEWc

In a weird way, the transformation you see in this video represents the change in cultural ethos pertaining to beards and much of fashion in general, from the bohemian/hipster aesthetic of the mid 2010s (bushy beards and undercuts notwithstanding) to the more polished/'manscaping' look of the late 2010s (in a era where the economy is good, businesses are bustling, and people are throwing away their flannel shirts and Dock Martins for designer suits and Sperrys).

Here in the Northeast U.S, the 'hipster beard' has been dead for at least 2 years now. Although, weirdly enough, 'man buns' and 'undercuts' are still popular, but even those trends have a more polished look them now than they used to.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/19 at 3:11 am

I am still keeping my beard, it is a part of me, and family and friends expect me to have it.

Written By: GameXcaper on 08/14/19 at 6:42 pm

Yes, but they are dying out in favor of more diverse and natural-looking hairstyles. Though beards are still popular, even amongst teenagers, don't expect it to last.

Written By: 2001 on 08/14/19 at 7:51 pm

Yes, but they are dying out in favor of more diverse and natural-looking hairstyles. Though beards are still popular, even amongst teenagers, don't expect it to last.

I honestly don't think beards will die out now that the genie is out of the bottle. The reasons beards died out in the first place was because the safety razor was invented with the shaving cream's minty after feel, basically it was a "hygiene" marketing gimmick. Now that we're back to the way things were for the millions of years of human and ape history, I doubt men will voluntarily go back to the cumbersome task of shaving daily.

Written By: Howard on 08/15/19 at 6:15 am

I honestly don't think beards will die out now that the genie is out of the bottle. The reasons beards died out in the first place was because the safety razor was invented with the shaving cream's minty after feel, basically it was a "hygiene" marketing gimmick. Now that we're back to the way things were for the millions of years of human and ape history, I doubt men will voluntarily go back to the cumbersome task of shaving daily.

I shave every day so I have no beard.

Written By: 2001 on 08/15/19 at 7:30 am

I shave every day so I have no beard.

Is your hair black? I get really bad 1PM shadow if I clean shave. By 5PM it's already a stubble. I'm glad to have left shaving behind. ;D

Written By: Dundee on 08/15/19 at 11:18 am

I have a beard since summer 2018, so in that regard YES!

Written By: wixness on 08/15/19 at 12:27 pm

Yes, still popular here in the UK I believe. It's making me feel sad, because with all this talk of LGBT+ acceptance, it's making me think that this decade isn't so accepting of LGBT+ and gender non-conforming individuals after all beyond just a bunch of countries recognizing same-sex marriages and same-sex parent adoptions.

This is especially owing to how little gender non-conformity I've seen from cisgender individuals (anyone who's not transgender) and the increasingly hateful rhetoric directed against women, anyone who isn't straight, anyone who isn't fine with being what society says a man or woman should be, or anyone who is fine with neither being a man or a woman.

Written By: Howard on 08/16/19 at 7:27 am

Is your hair black? I get really bad 1PM shadow if I clean shave. By 5PM it's already a stubble. I'm glad to have left shaving behind. ;D

No, my hair is light brown, my stubble grows back within a day or so.

Written By: GameXcaper on 08/16/19 at 9:05 pm

Those of us with a jawline will never let a beard hide it. The stubble is the best type of look you can have with facial hair in my opinion. Also, if you have patchy facial hair you are much better shaving it off than letting it grow out and the subreddit for this agrees with me as well.

Check for new replies or respond here...