inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does the "nostalgia cycle" move faster on the Internet compared to real life?

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/15/19 at 1:20 pm

On the internet, people were nostalgic about the 80s and posting "Child of the 80s" lists around 1995-2005.

Then the "90s kid" craze happened online in 2005-2015 (remember all those Buzzfeed/Reddit/Facebook memes in 2012 constantly mentioning the 90s, and people arguing what a 90s kid was, lol).

UehjBKpygks

Then around 2015-2018, a mini-nostalgia boom happened online for the early 2000s. During that time people were making memes about stuff like Spy kids, skater punk (pic related), purple ketchup, Y2K aesthetic, and Shrek, and said how they missed the early 2000s, or that it was better than the rest of the 21st century.

pq44-JLZ0Y8

Now in 2018-2019, the new wave of Zoomer nostalgia for LATE 00s-early 10s things like Party rock anthem, iCarly, Minecraft, Black Ops 2, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and Cool math games has already swept over the internet.

fNF5iKhVoVA

But weirdly, nostalgia cycles seem to move faster on the Internet compared to other media, maybe because the Internet skewers younger than movie producers. In real life, nostalgic movies and TV shows in 2019 are still stuck on the 80s (Stranger things, Ready player one), moving somewhat into the 90s a bit (Rocko's modern life, Captain marvel). Yet 80s-90s nostalgia was already exhausted to its fullest potential on the Internet back in 1995-2015.

Subject: Re: Does the "nostalgia cycle" move faster on the Internet compared to real life?

Written By: 80sfan on 08/15/19 at 2:19 pm

I don't know, but I prefer it when nostalgia is 'natural', 'organic,' and has a rhythm to it rather than feeling forced from people on the internet.
I remember 90's nostalgia coming around the early 2010's. Right on time IMO.

Subject: Re: Does the "nostalgia cycle" move faster on the Internet compared to real life?

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/15/19 at 6:03 pm

Crazy, I really don’t think of FNaF as being that old.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/17/19 at 7:30 pm

So now you've got this music video paying homage to the early 2000s. I'd still say 80s nostalgia is strongest in real life, but the "nostalgia cycle" doesn't really seem to follow a strict pattern in the modern day.

FKXSh14svlQ

Written By: Retrolover on 08/17/19 at 8:20 pm

No. The “nostalgia cycle” on the Internet would have to be based off of what is happening in real life.

Gen Xers were nostalgic for the 80s earlier than 1995. Xennials were ‘tagging along’ with those “Child of the 80s” lists in the mid to late 90s.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/18/19 at 1:12 am

So now you've got this music video paying homage to the early 2000s. I'd still say 80s nostalgia is strongest in real life, but the "nostalgia cycle" doesn't really seem to follow a strict pattern in the modern day.

FKXSh14svlQ

While I do get where you're coming from, I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that the 80s is the 'strongest'. 90s nostalgia has become a lot more paramount, especially within the last few years. In 2019, arguably the biggest film this year (outside of Avengers: Endgame) was Captain Marvel, which is culturally engrained in the 1990s. Thats only to accelerate in the next decade, as simultaneously Late 90s/Early 00s nostalgia (as you saw in the music video above) will also continue to rise. A few years ago, I'd agree that 'core 90s'/early 2000s nostalgia (essentially, the backbone of the '90s kids' debates) was still something that was underground, but I don't think I'd necessarily agree with that anymore, especially given how this era is more representative in pop culture now.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/18/19 at 1:41 am

While I do get where you're coming from, I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that the 80s is the 'strongest'. 90s nostalgia has become a lot more paramount, especially within the last few years. In 2019, arguably the biggest film this year (outside of Avengers: Endgame) was Captain Marvel, which is culturally engrained in the 1990s. Thats only to accelerate in the next decade, as simultaneously Late 90s/Early 00s nostalgia (as you saw in the music video above) will also continue to rise. A few years ago, I'd agree that 'core 90s'/early 2000s nostalgia (essentially, the backbone of the '90s kids' debates) was still something that was underground, but I don't think I'd necessarily agree with that anymore, especially given how this era is more representative in pop culture now.

The mainstream 90s revival in the 2020s will be marketed primarily to Millennials, so pop culture from 2001 and shortly after will be included.

The media only tends to focus on what came out of the 70s, 80s, and  90s. So, the 90s nostalgia movement won’t include “Wayne’s World”, MC Hammer, or even “Seinfeld”. Everything we will hear about in the 2020s will stretch from “Clueless” to “Nicktoons” to Aaliyah. 

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/18/19 at 6:08 am

FKXSh14svlQ

Eh, yeah, the video itself does pay homage, but the song is really...not early '00s at all.

Written By: Dundee on 08/18/19 at 6:38 pm

I don't really remember much talk about the 90s until well into the early 2010s, and I don't think the 2000s have hit their stride as of yet (though it's definitely hinting).

I guess seperate nostalgic talks on the internet are pretty natural, it's like how you would yack with your family about heartwarming moments from 12 years ago. But taking the hold of the entire pop culture canon is another, very different deal.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/18/19 at 7:51 pm

I don't really remember much talk about the 90s until well into the early 2010s, and I don't think the 2000s have hit their stride as of yet (though it's definitely hinting).

I guess seperate nostalgic talks on the internet are pretty natural, it's like how you would yack with your family about heartwarming moments from 12 years ago. But taking the hold of the entire pop culture canon is another, very different deal.

There was 90s nostalgia from Gen Xers and a few Xennials from the mid 90s into the 2000s, but Millennials started the ‘90s kid’ memes in the 2010s.

As of now, Millennials are slightly nostalgic for the 2000s up to 2001 or so. We won’t see Zers waxing nostalgic for the 2000s they knew until the 2020s.

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/27/19 at 10:51 pm

There was barely any internet as we know it before 1995.  But the first webpages I saw were on the college computers in 1995 and there were plenty of 1980s nostalgia pages.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/28/19 at 2:43 pm

Nope, it's exactly 16 years online and in real life. I wouldn't be surprised if MySpace came back in a few years, the mobile app version.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/28/19 at 3:11 pm

The 90's nostalgia craze has lasted the longest and it's felt like it's lasted forever. Someone told me about the history of the 90's nostalgia craze and how it started too early in 2006 with a MySpace post that went viral. Whether it's mainstream 90's culture for teens & young adults or 90's kid culture, all the pop culture related to the 90's has been dominant compared to how long the 80's nostalgia craze lasted and how short the 00's nostalgia craze is only going to be, and since the 00's decade is known more for the start of internet culture more than anything, it's gets all the negativity sadly when there was so much more to the 00's than just the start of internet culture. We'll always look back at the 00's as an underrated decade for the pop culture especially the first half of the 00's which gets completely ignored. Early 00's fashion may have been horrendous, but it doesn't change all the other great pop culture for teens/young adults and kids the early 00's had to offer. Anyways, you think the 90's nostalgia craze isn't over? Why do I see so many lame 90's movie remakes in the box office? Why were there so many 90's revived TV shows on streaming services like Netflix? This is proof right there that the 90's nostalgia craze just won't ever go away once and for all like the 80's has already gone long time ago.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/28/19 at 5:44 pm

The 90's nostalgia craze has lasted the longest and it's felt like it's lasted forever. Someone told me about the history of the 90's nostalgia craze and how it started too early in 2006 with a MySpace post that went viral. Whether it's mainstream 90's culture for teens & young adults or 90's kid culture, all the pop culture related to the 90's has been dominant compared to how long the 80's nostalgia craze lasted and how short the 00's nostalgia craze is only going to be, and since the 00's decade is known more for the start of internet culture more than anything, it's gets all the negativity sadly when there was so much more to the 00's than just the start of internet culture. We'll always look back at the 00's as an underrated decade for the pop culture especially the first half of the 00's which gets completely ignored. Early 00's fashion may have been horrendous, but it doesn't change all the other great pop culture for teens/young adults and kids the early 00's had to offer. Anyways, you think the 90's nostalgia craze isn't over? Why do I see so many lame 90's movie remakes in the box office? Why were there so many 90's revived TV shows on streaming services like Netflix? This is proof right there that the 90's nostalgia craze just won't ever go away once and for all like the 80's has already gone long time ago.

Overall there's more early 00's nostalgia right now than anything. It was evident last year with the 2002 song and the "Thank U, Next" music video. I think there will start to be more mid-00's nostalgia in the early 20's, but it also appears 80's nostalgia is back for the second time around as you see the movie lineup for 2020. The second wave of 80's nostalgia actually started around the time when the Goldbergs premiered in 2013.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/28/19 at 7:28 pm

The 80s nostalgia isn't done at all, they're still milking it in movies and TV. 90s nostalgia will go on for a while too. But as batfan mentioned there's also early 2000s nostalgia popping up in the mainstream, as well as late 00s-early 10s nostalgia online as I've shown. Really, it seems like all these nostalgia waves are overlapping and not cleanly dividied.

Written By: rapplepop on 09/01/19 at 1:38 am

I think 80s nostalgia is still dominant, with Stranger Things and so on. But I have noticed there isn't as much 80s influenced music was there was 6 to 10 years ago.

90s nostalgia is mostly limited to things like children's cartoons from the era.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/01/19 at 7:48 am

I think 2020 will be big on nostalgia for a repeat of 2016.

Written By: ItsMichael on 09/01/19 at 11:32 am

I think 2020 will be big on nostalgia for a repeat of 2016.
Lol people are already getting nostalgia over 2016? Next thing you know in 2021 everyone is gonna be raving over 2017 and how they miss it

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/01/19 at 4:05 pm

Lol people are already getting nostalgia over 2016? Next thing you know in 2021 everyone is gonna be raving over 2017 and how they miss it

Maybe not nostalgia OF 2016 but rather like how 2016 was full of nostalgia for the Y2K era. Only I think 2020 will have more nostalgia for c. 2004. It is rumored that Usher is planning to release a sequel to his Confessions album.

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/02/19 at 5:39 pm

Yep, on Twitter and Instagram, I'm now seeing many people saying how Summer 2016 was the best time of our lives (right before Trump came along), or how 2016 music was the best (lol?).

Written By: GuapitoChico on 09/03/19 at 9:06 am

Are we talking about childhood nostalgia or adolescent/young adulthood nostalgia?

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/03/19 at 5:08 pm

Yep, on Twitter and Instagram, I'm now seeing many people saying how Summer 2016 was the best time of our lives (right before Trump came along), or how 2016 music was the best (lol?).

Nostalgia about catching Pokemon? Lol

Written By: mc98 on 09/03/19 at 5:11 pm

Nostalgia about catching Pokemon? Lol

I heard the game is much better now than at the time.

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/13/19 at 10:34 pm

Alright, late 00s-early 10s nostalgia may now be officially mainstream and not just on the internet, with this Chowder-inspired music video by Lil Nas X (the biggest rapper in the world currently).

hUE2DuMP9y8

Soon nostalgia will catch up to one minute ago, and we'll run out of past.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/13/19 at 11:21 pm

Alright, late 00s-early 10s nostalgia may now be officially mainstream and not just on the internet, with this Chowder-inspired music video by Lil Nas X (the biggest rapper in the world currently).

hUE2DuMP9y8

Soon nostalgia will catch up to one minute ago, and we'll run out of past.

Oh man, too early for that. But to be fair I remember in 2009 late '90s to early 2000s was already quite nostalgic online.

Written By: Dj. on 09/18/19 at 5:46 pm

i think people will always be nostalgic for things such as their childhoods and teenage periods no matter how far ago it was (i for example had nostalgia for the first half of the 90s in 1997 or so when i was still a kid)

overall though i think about 20 years need to pass before the mainstream media should touch on a certain decade, hence the 2020s might be when 00s nostalgia kicks in and thats gotta be quite interesting

Check for new replies or respond here...