inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Lion King (2019) - Reviews

Written By: temaichi on 08/19/19 at 5:59 pm

It has been a month since the remake of the new Lion King was released! Everyone here must’ve watched it by now.
What did you think of the movie? Did it lead up to your expectations? What could have been better?

I think it was a great remake of my fav Disney movie of all time and the producers did a great job at re-creating these scenes in a more realistic manner. The music was exceptional and i was sure as hell not ready to watch Mufasa’s death again in 3D. My friend had to watch me cry throughout that whole  scene but the transition from that to Timon and Pumba cheered me like nothing happened. It had a great balance between emotional and happy scenes and it really brought me back to my childhood as a huge Lion King fan. I am older now and what i wanted was a more mature version of this film and it was done fairly well. I give it a 9/10. Honestly!

https://radioimg.s3.amazonaws.com/kllcfm/lion%20king%202019movie.jpg?Q0NVEss13ZkNZdPdlwO.Gm5YLNnUxwu_

Subject: Re: The Lion King (2019) - Reviews

Written By: Retrolover on 08/19/19 at 6:27 pm

How “The Little Mermaid” not been made into a live action film in the mid to late 2010s is beyond me. “The Little Mermaid” was the start of it all!  :o

“The Little Mermaid” was the most successful Disney film released from the very late 80s to the 2000s. Mermaids were big in every year of the early 90s that the first ever Disney series based off of a modern movie was made for “TLM” in the fall of ‘92.

“The Lion King” was popular from the fall of 1994 into 1995, but “Babe” and “Pixar’s Toy Story” blew it out of the water shortly after that. Don’t ask me how I know all of this. I was 13 years old in 1995. You could not be alive between 1994 and 1995 and miss a mention of “The Lion King” then.

Of course, at my age, I dismissed “The Lion King” as your typical modern Disney tale in 1994. It’s amazing how Disney movies from 1992 to 1994 had more characters than the 1989 to 1991 movies. Then, the tail end of the mid 90s into the late 90s happened and there were even more in “Hercules”. It was cleaned up for “Tarzan”, but both late Yers and early Zers did not seem to bother with that one.

“The Lion King” definitely stands out from the “Aladdin” to “Pocahontas” period. The style of the 1994 “The Lion King” flick did not remind me of anything Disney put out before that point. Things were so fast moving from 1992 to 1995 and Yers ditched “The Lion King” for “Pocahontas” in the snap of a finger.

From the standpoint of an XYer, I will always say that “The Little Mermaid” was the best out of all of the Disney Renaissance films. “Beauty and the Beast” and “Aladdin” are close seconds, though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/20/19 at 1:20 am

I was disappointed with it, but was still a visual feast to watch, and will probably win the Academy Award for Best visual Effects .

....it's amazing how the trained the animals to act and speak!  ;D

Written By: Retrolover on 08/20/19 at 6:03 pm

I was disappointed with it, but was still a visual feast to watch, and will probably win the Academy Award for Best visual Effects .

....it's amazing how the trained the animals to act and speak!  ;D

I’ve been disappointed with all of the live action Disney films so far. Emma Watson isn’t Belle to me nor is Will Smith the Genie to Aladdin. I’ll stick with the late 80s and 90s films.

Has a straight to DVD “An Ant’s Life” style knock-off of the live action “The Lion King” been made yet? It would be fun to laugh at the animals speaking in that cheap mock-buster version of “The Lion King”.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/19 at 1:09 am

I’ve been disappointed with all of the live action Disney films so far. Emma Watson isn’t Belle to me nor is Will Smith the Genie to Aladdin. I’ll stick with the late 80s and 90s films.

Like you I have been put off viewing the live action version of the Disney films. I will only watch when the right time arrives.

Written By: goodbants on 08/23/19 at 4:35 am

I hated The Lion King 2019. Ruined one of my favorite childhood films. Yes, the animation was impressive, but the animals looked soulless because they didn’t emote. Yeah, I know real lions don’t emote much, but it took away the magic of the film. Also it was pretty much a copy scene by scene. The songs were nice, though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/19 at 4:42 am

I hated The Lion King 2019. Ruined one of my favorite childhood films. Yes, the animation was impressive, but the animals looked soulless because they didn’t emote. Yeah, I know real lions don’t emote much, but it took away the magic of the film. Also it was pretty much a copy scene by scene. The songs were nice, though.
The songs will not win any Oscars for they were featured (and won) for the original film, but we noticed a new song, sung by Elton John, for the closing credits.

Check for new replies or respond here...