inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ghostbusters 2020

Written By: Retrolover on 08/20/19 at 2:26 pm

Why must every new property of the 80s be ran into the ground in this century? By now, we should know that no year (except 2007) will be remembered for these sequels, remakes, and prequels to the new properties of the 1980s. Why keep making them?

“Ghostbusters 2020” is supposed to be a new film connected to the first two Ghostbusters movies, but who asked for anything Ghostbusters after the travesty that was “Ghostbusters 2”?

The only thing that stands out about everything with “Ghostbusters 2” was the song “On Our Own” by Bobby Brown. The 1984 “Ghostbusters” movie will always be the most iconic “Ghostbusters” movie.

I feel like there are too many screenwriters and Hollywood idea pitchers that are chasing after the pleasures in their mind. People in this century need to sit down more, eat junk food, and stop being so active.

How do you see “Ghostbusters 2020” doing? Will be worst than the 2016 flop “Ghostbusters” or slightly better?

Subject: Re: Ghostbusters 2020

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/21/19 at 5:23 am

I liked Ghostbusters II. I have nice childhood memories of it being released in the summer of 1989 along with the first Batman. Anyhow as I mentioned in the other thread, the 2020 one is a direct sequel with the same cast, with of course the exception of the late Harold Ramis. I'm sure they'll have some type of dedication to him in the credits and maybe some mention of Eegon. Also what I heard is Sigourney Weavers character's baby in the 2nd one is one of the new Ghostbusters being trained by the original.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/19 at 5:45 am

I am still hesitant on watching that "Ghostbusters" released recently, and I may keep it that way.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/21/19 at 8:45 am

I liked Ghostbusters II. I have nice childhood memories of it being released in the summer of 1989 along with the first Batman. Anyhow as I mentioned in the other thread, the 2020 one is a direct sequel with the same cast, with of course the exception of the late Harold Ramis. I'm sure they'll have some type of dedication to him in the credits and maybe some mention of Eegon. Also what I heard is Sigourney Weavers character's baby in the 2nd one is one of the new Ghostbusters being trained by the original.

The parts of “Ghostbusters 2” that dates the movie (NES Advantage and Bobby Brown) are fun to watch until you realize the 1984 movie did not have any pop culture references in it like that to date the movie. The ‘84 is a timeless classic. It’s not on the level of a 1970s movie like “The Godfather” or “Love Story”, but it’s enjoyable nonetheless.

Everything Ghostbusters jumped the shark in the late 80s. “The Real Ghostbusters” action figure line (Fright Features ???), “The Real Ghostbusters” becoming “Slimer and The Real Ghostbusters”, and “Ghostbusters 2” being the grand finale to the worst of all Ghostbusters things of that time.

“Ghostbusters 2” was flatter than the 1984 one and too much like the horrible seasons of “The Real Ghostbusters”. “Batman” and the “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” were around at just the right time for children of the 80s to move on to from the Ghostbusters. Only Ghostbusters fans still liked the Ghostbusters in 1990 after the second movie. The rest of us was done.

Written By: Howard on 08/21/19 at 3:07 pm

Why must every new property of the 80s be ran into the ground in this century? By now, we should know that no year (except 2007) will be remembered for these sequels, remakes, and prequels to the new properties of the 1980s. Why keep making them?

“Ghostbusters 2020” is supposed to be a new film connected to the first two Ghostbusters movies, but who asked for anything Ghostbusters after the travesty that was “Ghostbusters 2”?

The only thing that stands out about everything with “Ghostbusters 2” was the song “On Our Own” by Bobby Brown. The 1984 “Ghostbusters” movie will always be the most iconic “Ghostbusters” movie.

I feel like there are too many screenwriters and Hollywood idea pitchers that are chasing after the pleasures in their mind. People in this century need to sit down more, eat junk food, and stop being so active.

How do you see “Ghostbusters 2020” doing? Will be worst than the 2016 flop “Ghostbusters” or slightly better?

What will this Ghostbusters 2020 include? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/19 at 3:08 pm

It will serve as a direct sequel to 1984's Ghostbusters and 1989's Ghostbusters II.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/21/19 at 5:22 pm

I think Ghostbusters 2020 will be awesome.  8)

Written By: Retrolover on 08/21/19 at 5:29 pm

The latest stars of the 2010s like Finn Wolfhard will be in Ghostbusters 2020. It appears to be a movie primarily done for the fans and newer generations that don’t know of the Ghostbusters.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/22/19 at 3:01 pm

More news: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/hasbro-produce-ghostbusters-toys-starting-2020-1233451

Hasbro will be producing toys for the “Ghostbusters 2020” movie.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/19 at 3:15 pm

More news: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/hasbro-produce-ghostbusters-toys-starting-2020-1233451

Hasbro will be producing toys for the new “Ghostbusters 2020” movie. The toy makers of Kenner (responsible for the 1986 to 1991 “RGB” toys) will be working the toys to this movie.

As an eco-conscious person (my whole generation is), it hurts me to say this, but it would be a nice throwback to see Ray, Peter, Winston, and Slimer done in ‘86 RGB style.
Colouring books for younger children too?

Written By: Howard on 08/22/19 at 3:30 pm

It will serve as a direct sequel to 1984's Ghostbusters and 1989's Ghostbusters II.

What about the old cast but exclude the ones that have passed away?

Written By: Retrolover on 08/22/19 at 3:31 pm

Colouring books for younger children too?

I doubt it. Coloring books do not sell too well in this century like they did in the latter half of the 20th century.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/19 at 3:34 pm

I doubt it. Coloring books do not sell too well in this century like they did in the latter half of the 20th century.
Here in the UK it is an in thing for children especially Disney.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/22/19 at 6:23 pm

Here in the UK it is an in thing for children especially Disney.

They rarely sell in dollar stores over here. From my opinion, the coloring books with the best cover and coloring pages were from the 70s to the 90s.

Do you see Ghostbusters adult themed coloring books being made for next year? The Ghostbusters were before a Millennial’s time, so I doubt it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/22/19 at 7:18 pm

What about the old cast but exclude the ones that have passed away?

The ones who passed away can be filled in using computer generated graphics.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/22/19 at 7:32 pm

Where would the ghostbusters get the equipment to make a hologram of Egon? How would the remaining ghostbusters not confuse holographic Egon for a ghost, itself?  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/19 at 1:28 am

Where would the ghostbusters get the equipment to make a hologram of Egon? How would the remaining ghostbusters not confuse holographic Egon for a ghost, itself?  :o
That could be an initial part of the scenario of the film?

Written By: Howard on 08/23/19 at 7:46 am

They could do that if they wanted to.

Written By: Howard on 08/23/19 at 7:48 am

You mean the Stay-Puf marshmallow man?

Written By: Retrolover on 08/23/19 at 8:43 am

That could be an initial part of the scenario of the film?

I notice “Ghostbusters 2020” will be a nod to Harold Ramis like “BH 90210” is to Luke Perry, but the classics need to be left alone. The 1984 “Ghostbusters” movie will be the only one that matters to us in the future. “Ghostbusters 2020” will be a dud like “Ghostbusters 2” and “Ghostbusters”(2016).

Haven’t we all seen these prequels, sequels, remakes, and etc. etc. to the new movies of the 20th century in this century before? 8-P

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/19 at 9:12 am

I notice “Ghostbusters 2020” will be a nod to Harold Ramis like “BH 90210” is to Luke Perry, but the classics need to be left alone. The 1984 “Ghostbusters” movie will be the only one that matters to us in the future. “Ghostbusters 2020” will be a dud like “Ghostbusters 2” and “Ghostbusters”(2016).

Haven’t we all seen these prequels, sequels, remakes, and etc. etc. to the new movies of the 20th century in this century before? 8-P
I have always said, just re-release the original. Disney used to re-release their films on a generation basis, almost every 7 years, catching the new child that come along.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/23/19 at 9:33 am

Am I the only one who thinks that Ghostbusters II is superior to the first one? Since it was released in 1989, the best year ever for movies, as ever movie released that year its a timeless classic.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/23/19 at 10:06 am

Am I the only one who thinks that Ghostbusters II is superior to the first one? Since it was released in 1989, the best year ever for movies, as ever movie released that year its a timeless classic.

“Ghostbusters 2” isn’t even “Batman Returns” on the sequel scale.

The marketing for “Batman Returns” should have gotten more appreciation from late Gen Xers and Yers.

“Ghostbusters 2” suffered from being too long and a villain that wasn’t interesting in any way. Not to mention, “GB2” is too much like “TRGB” after it jumped the shark. Also, characters from the first film were shoehorned into the sequel so that we know we’re watching the Ghostbusters after the first movie and cartoon has been out. Ghostbusters” from ‘84 introduces moviegoers to Slimer, Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, Zuul, and Vinz. The first Ghostbusters movie was all we needed.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/23/19 at 10:35 am

Different people see different things in movies. Most people liked “GB2” for the Bobby Brown single on the soundtrack, but to put it simply, “Ghostbusters” from ‘84 was more iconic. The first Ghostbusters had marketing potential, the second did not.

There could not ever be another “TRGB” series after “Ghostbusters 2” like there was with one. “Ghostbusters 2” was the grand finale to the whole GB movie universe. The only reason a 2009 video game sequel to “GB2” was made was for the fans.

“Ghostbusters 2020” should have been “Ghostbusters 1991” and “GB 1991” would have made “GB2” look like a masterpiece.

The 1984 movie was perfect enough.

Written By: Howard on 08/23/19 at 3:17 pm

It probably won't be that good.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/19 at 3:19 pm

It probably won't be that good.
In one sense I am not looking forward to it.

Check for new replies or respond here...