inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Farewell, Retrolover

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/23/19 at 3:55 pm

Can’t say that I did not see that coming.  :-X

Subject: Re: Farewell Retrolover

Written By: mc98 on 08/23/19 at 3:57 pm

The dude brings up generationology too many times. Plus, he uses kid culture to determine the pop culture force of any eras.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/23/19 at 4:26 pm

I saw that coming because of all the generationalogy posts and some trollish behaviour. Even though I disagreed with him at least he wasn't personally attacking anyone and insulting people. He seemed like a nice guy. I would rather people who call others autistic as an insult or personally attack and insult others get banned on the spot before people who actually make the site active and encourage discussions (even if it is annoying generationalogy most of the time) and even if they do it in an unclassy way.

Written By: mc98 on 08/23/19 at 4:32 pm

I saw that coming because of all the generationalogy posts and some trollish behaviour. Even though I disagreed with him at least he wasn't personally attacking anyone and insulting people. He seemed like a nice guy. I would rather people who call others autistic as an insult or personally attack and insult others get banned on the spot before people who actually make the site active and encourage discussions (even if it is annoying generationalogy most of the time) and even if they do it in an unclassy way.

Retrolover always bring up the word “Xennials” as if they were the chosen people.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/23/19 at 4:32 pm

Retrolover always bring up the word “Xennials” as if they were the chosen people.

I know, and I agree it got annoying. I find generationology really uninteresting. Even decadeology is better lol.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/23/19 at 4:43 pm

Retrolover self-deleted.

Cat

Written By: Slim95 on 08/23/19 at 4:44 pm

Ah ok, that's strange. He seemed to like this website.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/19 at 4:44 pm

Retrolover self-deleted.

Cat
Thank you for the info, I was wondering to that fact.

Written By: mc98 on 08/23/19 at 4:51 pm

I know, and I agree it got annoying. I find generationology really uninteresting. Even decadeology is better lol.

Tbh, I find generationalogy more divisive than decadeology.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/23/19 at 5:09 pm

Retrolover self-deleted.

Cat

Deleted, or just deactivated? ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/23/19 at 5:13 pm

Deleted, or just deactivated? ???

That, too.  ;)

Cat

Written By: 2001 on 08/23/19 at 5:29 pm

I have a hunch of who that user's previous account was. Methinks they are taking a break. They did post a lot the last couple of days, it is good to get away from the Internet sometimes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/19 at 3:37 am

Is "Xennial" an offical word?

Written By: Slim95 on 08/24/19 at 5:04 am

Is a Xennial supposed to mean Gen X?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/19 at 5:43 am

Is a Xennial supposed to mean Gen X?
Thanks, but I never have used it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/24/19 at 11:08 am

I have a hunch of who that user's previous account was. Methinks they are taking a break. They did post a lot the last couple of days, it is good to get away from the Internet sometimes.

Come on now... who do you think was a prior incarnation of Retrolover? ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/24/19 at 12:22 pm

Yes, I started to get very suspicious also. I would get pretty much the same responses as the previous incarnation when I would try to point out that some things in the 70s which I lived through might not have been exactly the theoretical way he has constructed them to be, having not been there. Also the same unorthodox decade delineation theories. Oh well. It was certainly interesting for a while until it got to be too much.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/24/19 at 12:44 pm

Yes, I started to get very suspicious also. I would get pretty much the responses as the previous incarnation when I would try to point out that some things in the 70s which I lived through might not have been exactly the theoretical way he has constructed them to be, having not been there. Also the same unorthodox decade delineation theories. Oh well. It was certainly interesting for a while until it got to be too much.

Not aimed at Retrolover specifically but it does p!ss me off when people think they know something better than the people who were there or involved directly.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/24/19 at 1:27 pm

but it does p!ss me off when people think they know something better than the people who were there or involved directly.

Cat

Reminds me of a long time ago, a company asked me to interview for a job at their place. This company gave me a “case study” to evaluate about a company that underwent a history-making change where the employees bought the company. I was a bit surprised, because I was at the subject company during the events discussed in the case study.

Anyway, I gave them my assessment, and then the hiring manager proceeded give me his view of things, and told me I had it all wrong. The rest of the interview went this way:

LB: “Did you read my resumé?”

Interviewer: “Well, of course I did”

LB: “Just how well did you read it?”

Interviewer:”Yeah, yeah. I know you work in the widget industry”

LB: “Tell you what.  Before you embarrass yourself any further, read my resumé again.  Make sure to read it the whole way through”. And he did that....

Interviewer: (looking up sheepishly) “Oh. You were there?”

LB: “Oh, I was not just there. I was on the transition committee and conducted every meeting we held with our 13,000 employees. The day this project started, the company President specifically requested my involvement.  Your assessment of this situation is completely off base and incorrect. Whoever told you about Widgetco had absolutely no idea of what was going on.”

Dude backed off after that. I owned him.  8)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/24/19 at 1:42 pm

Reminds me of a long time ago, a company asked me to interview for a job at their place. This company gave me a “case study” to evaluate about a company that underwent a history-making change where the employees bought the company. I was a bit surprised, because I was at the subject company during the events discussed in the case study.

Anyway, I gave them my assessment, and then the hiring manager proceeded give me his view of things, and told me I had it all wrong. The rest of the interview went this way:

LB: “Did you read my resumé?”

Interviewer: “Well, of course I did”

LB: “Just how well did you read it?”

Interviewer:”Yeah, yeah. I know you work in the widget industry”

LB: “Tell you what.  Before you embarrass yourself any further, read my resumé again.  Make sure to read it the whole way through”. And he did that....

Interviewer: (looking up sheepishly) “Oh. You were there?”

LB: “Oh, I was not just there. I was on the transition committee and conducted every meeting we held with our 13,000 employees. The day this project started, the company President specifically requested my involvement.  Your assessment of this situation is completely off base and incorrect. Whoever told you about Widgetco had absolutely no idea of what was going on.”

Dude backed off after that. I owned him.  8)

Great story!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/24/19 at 3:55 pm

Retrolover self-deleted.

Cat

I think he was asking way too many questions.

Written By: Howard on 08/24/19 at 3:56 pm

Most likely he'll be back as someone else or as a different alias.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/24/19 at 4:18 pm

Most likely he'll be back as someone else or as a different alias.

Maybe a name like NostalgiaFan.  ;)

Written By: nally on 08/24/19 at 5:28 pm

I think he was asking way too many questions.

He seemed to, especially when responding to my posts. It's nice that he wanted to discuss things, (like TV programmes and video game franchises etc), but he was sorta going overboard with asking questions. Case in point, the "Saved By The Bell" thread in the 1990s section. I was discussing many episodes I liked/remembered, and he would often reply to my post, make some commentary (which I don't mind at all), then at the end ask a question like, "What characters do you think should have appeared more often?", or "How do you think the show would have ended if {xx character} was around for the entire run?"

Written By: 2001 on 08/24/19 at 5:42 pm

Come on now... who do you think was a prior incarnation of Retrolover? ???

I think it was Early90sGuy. He's not a banned poster or anything like that, just a poster who checks in every now and then. But I am not 100% sure it was him. :P

Yes, I started to get very suspicious also. I would get pretty much the same responses as the previous incarnation when I would try to point out that some things in the 70s which I lived through might not have been exactly the theoretical way he has constructed them to be, having not been there. Also the same unorthodox decade delineation theories. Oh well. It was certainly interesting for a while until it got to be too much.

When he said the 80s started in 1978 in that one thread I knew* it was him ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/24/19 at 5:58 pm

When he said the 80s started in 1978 in that one thread I knew* it was him ;D

Bingo!  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/24/19 at 6:53 pm

He seemed to, especially when responding to my posts. It's nice that he wanted to discuss things, (like TV programmes and video game franchises etc), but he was sorta going overboard with asking questions. Case in point, the "Saved By The Bell" thread in the 1990s section. I was discussing many episodes I liked/remembered, and he would often reply to my post, make some commentary (which I don't mind at all), then at the end ask a question like, "What characters do you think should have appeared more often?", or "How do you think the show would have ended if {xx character} was around for the entire run?"

It got a little creepy the way he would probe and probe. Someone would say something like "I watched such and such a show in 1985" and he would follow with "what was it like, how did you feel, what made you do this back then..." kind of things. Who knows, maybe he's writing a thesis or something and he's doing research.  ;)

Written By: violet_shy on 08/24/19 at 9:07 pm

He/she was mean to a couple of members on here who I like very much, which is why I stopped replying to him/her. But why would someone who seemed to like posting so much on here suddenly delete themself? That's strange.

Written By: nally on 08/24/19 at 10:41 pm

It got a little creepy the way he would probe and probe. Someone would say something like "I watched such and such a show in 1985" and he would follow with "what was it like, how did you feel, what made you do this back then..." kind of things. Who knows, maybe he's writing a thesis or something and he's doing research.  ;)

And he was trying to inquire information from others by persistently asking questions? It did get a little outta hand.

Of course I didn't respond to every single question he asked in his replies to my posts.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/25/19 at 8:44 am

Honestly, whoever he was (either an Early90sGuy clone account or a genuinely new person), nobody’s losing sleep that he’s not on this site anymore. A bit surprised that he did deactivate his account though, but that just adds to the mystery behind this dude. Anyways, hope all is well with him outside of here.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/25/19 at 10:01 am

Yeah he was asking a lot of questions I noticed that. And was too obsessed with generation Alpha.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/25/19 at 12:34 pm

He/she was mean to a couple of members on here who I like very much, which is why I stopped replying to him/her. But why would someone who seemed to like posting so much on here suddenly delete themself? That's strange.

There have been a few people in the past few months who have done that. My guess is that they are one in the same and I also have the feeling that Retrolover will rejoin under a new username.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/25/19 at 2:34 pm

or maybe he's just being annoying.

Written By: Howard on 08/25/19 at 2:35 pm

Maybe he just wanted to save himself the embarrassment.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/25/19 at 2:40 pm

Maybe he just wanted to save himself the embarrassment.

Lol, like those who say "You can't fire me, I quit!"  ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 08/25/19 at 2:40 pm

Haha pretty blunt but maybe true.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/25/19 at 5:37 pm

And yet, his departure merited at least 36 replies.  8)

Subject: Re: Farewell, Retrolover

Written By: GameXcaper on 08/25/19 at 5:55 pm

Sorry guys, I wasn't here over the last couple of days? What on earth happened? And how did my "2020 will be a big year post" turn into that big mess which got locked?

Subject: Re: Farewell, Retrolover

Written By: Slim95 on 08/25/19 at 6:39 pm

Sorry guys, I wasn't here over the last couple of days? What on earth happened? And how did my "2020 will be a big year post" turn into that big mess which got locked?

Lots and lots of drama.

Subject: Farewell, Retrolover

Written By: Dude111 on 08/27/19 at 2:49 am

Very very sad ind33d :(

Check for new replies or respond here...