inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I hate almost everything about late 2010s fashion

Written By: GameXcaper on 08/25/19 at 5:59 pm

It's as if everyone is in a competition to look as hideous as possible. Almost everything from the shoes, to the hairstyles, to the god awful clothes. Thank god for online shopping and small stores, because whenever I got to the mall or large stores, it is aisle after aisle of the same ugly rags.

Subject: Re: I hate almost everything about late 2010s fashion

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/26/19 at 12:18 am

It's as if everyone is in a competition to look as hideous as possible. Almost everything from the shoes, to the hairstyles, to the god awful clothes. Thank god for online shopping and small stores, because whenever I got to the mall or large stores, it is aisle after aisle of the same ugly rags.
Can you buy a hairstyle online, I always though that it had to be done at a barbers or hairdressing salon?

Written By: Dj. on 08/26/19 at 3:55 pm

i noticed during last year that its taking its inspirations from the late 90s mixed with a little bit of core 90s (like the rounded black sunglasses for example) i personally kinda like it a little bit because it reminds me of my childhood/preteen years

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/26/19 at 5:12 pm

2010's bad

2000's and before good

Written By: violet_shy on 08/26/19 at 5:24 pm

i noticed during last year that its taking its inspirations from the late 90s mixed with a little bit of core 90s (like the rounded black sunglasses for example) i personally kinda like it a little bit because it reminds me of my childhood/preteen years

Hm. I just don't see it. This 90s fashion revival looks nothing like the 90s. Can somebody show me?

Written By: Dj. on 08/26/19 at 5:42 pm

Hm. I just don't see it. This 90s fashion revival looks nothing like the 90s. Can somebody show me?

its taking inspiration from various 90s trends, its not a direct copy

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/26/19 at 8:30 pm

hmmm...show eXamples.

Written By: wixness on 08/26/19 at 8:42 pm

I hated it since the early or mid 2010s, when people wanted to look as gender conforming as possible, and bringing back the 20th century. Please, I don't need to feel old just yet.

Written By: Dundee on 08/27/19 at 3:10 pm

Can you be even more vague and general???

What trends do you hate in particular?

Written By: 2012emo on 08/27/19 at 9:01 pm

I love late 2010s fashion but I hate how conformity is back. I mean in the early-mid 2010s it felt like everyone had their own style and you can wear whatever you want but now you have to conform to specific sub cultures like being a VSCO girl, e-boy, etc...

Written By: xenzue on 08/28/19 at 6:44 pm

I love late 2010s fashion but I hate how conformity is back. I mean in the early-mid 2010s it felt like everyone had their own style and you can wear whatever you want but now you have to conform to specific sub cultures like being a VSCO girl, e-boy, etc...

oh you like my hydro flask??? period sis skssksksk and i oop-

Written By: exodus08 on 08/28/19 at 7:53 pm

Can we just live in the 21st Century people.  ::)

Written By: Kid of the 2000s on 08/29/19 at 1:55 pm

Can we just live in the 21st Century people.  ::)

No blame the internet the last third of the 90s set us up for these shenanigans in hindsight we won some and we lost some ;D ,

Written By: GameXcaper on 08/30/19 at 6:26 pm

Can you be even more vague and general???

What trends do you hate in particular?

The hairstyles such as the undercut/fade top the list. Almost every guy swears to this haircut/hairstyle. The conformity is unbelievable. I really despise how whenever you try and search up hairstyles, literally everything from google images to 99% of videos is some variation of the undercut as if medium length or longer hairstyles don't exist. Not every god damn male hairstyle involves a long top and short sides and back, I look back at older movies where people had more variation in their hairstyles, hairstyles that looked much better. But can't find anything on how to style any of them except for a few tutorials here and there. For longer hair, you only get tutorials or pictures of fugly hipster man buns, which I hate just as much as the undercut if not more. If you have long hair, why would you wrap it in a bun? Let it flow back and down. If you need to tie it, then tie a ponytail. It looks like you have a garbage bag on top of your head. Even classic side parts, pompadours, and fauxhawks are out of style and only the faded versions are what people style these days. Curtained hair, flows, mullets, surfer hairstyles are basically non-existent.

Now combine that with big lense glasses, whether they be hipster glasses or retro sunglasses like the ones they wore in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, especially those ugly thin-framed circular ones, and you have gone too far. 

You want an image of what I am talking about then feast your eyes on this:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/18/20/46/182046f03d4aa923a6f2a4892a41a8cc.jpg

https://i1.wp.com/therighthairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/15-African-American-man-bun.jpg?resize=500%2C500&ssl=1

http://atozhairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2.jpg?x70181

How could Millenials ever allow this to ever happen? Do you call this good looking? Then you must have some very low standards.  I see people like these guys quite often around here, and I cringe every time I do. I had a hard time posting these images because of how hideous they looked. This style is going to be heavily mocked and ridiculed in the future, and people will wonder what kind of drugs young adults in the 20s were smoking to make them think this was a good idea.

I find it funny, because, at work, all of the middle-age adults always compliment me on my long hair, and tell me to keep it like that so I don't look like a drone or replica of every other male in their late teens, 20s, and 30s. These guys are the ones who lived their youth in the decades where longer, better-looking hair was the norm rather than the crisply, clean and unnatural hairstyles we have today. They know that I am not a Millenial because they can see the difference between me and the millennial auditors (Mostly in their mid to late 20s) who sit in the other room with their MacBook Airs and open desk environment, using their unfathomable Toronto slang (Which guys my age also use) and of course their hideous sense of fashion.

When the 20s come around, everyone will be beating down on the 2010s like how the 70s were ridiculed in the 80s.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/30/19 at 6:37 pm

The hairstyles such as the undercut/fade top the list. Almost every guy swears to this haircut/hairstyle. The conformity is unbelievable. I really despise how whenever you try and search up hairstyles, literally everything from google images to 99% of videos is some variation of the undercut as if medium length or longer hairstyles don't exist. Not every god damn male hairstyle involves a long top and short sides and back, I look back at older movies where people had more variation in their hairstyles, hairstyles that looked much better. But can't find anything on how to style any of them except for a few tutorials here and there. For longer hair, you only get tutorials or pictures of fugly hipster man buns, which I hate just as much as the undercut if not more. If you have long hair, why would you wrap it in a bun? Let it flow back and down. If you need to tie it, then tie a ponytail. It looks like you have a garbage bag on top of your head. Even classic side parts, pompadours, and fauxhawks are out of style and only the faded versions are what people style these days. Curtained hair, flows, mullets, surfer hairstyles are basically non-existent.

Now combine that with big lense glasses, whether they be hipster glasses or retro sunglasses like the ones they wore in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, especially those ugly thin-framed circular ones, and you have gone too far. 

https://i1.wp.com/therighthairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/15-African-American-man-bun.jpg?resize=500%2C500&ssl=1

How could Millenials ever allow this to ever happen? Do you call this good looking? Then you must have some very low standards.  I see people like these guys quite often around here, and I cringe every time I do. I had a hard time posting these images because of how hideous they looked. This style is going to be heavily mocked and ridiculed in the future, and people will wonder what kind of drugs young adults in the 20s were smoking to make them think this was a good idea.

I find it funny, because, at work, all of the middle-age adults always compliment me on my long hair, and tell me to keep it like that so I don't look like a drone or replica of every other male in their late teens, 20s, and 30s. These guys are the ones who lived their youth in the decades where longer, better-looking hair was the norm rather than the crisply, clean and unnatural hairstyles we have today. They know that I am not a Millenial because they can see the difference between me and the millennial auditors (Mostly in their mid to late 20s) who sit in the other room with their MacBook Airs and open desk environment, using their unfathomable Toronto slang (Which guys my age also use) and of course their hideous sense of fashion.

When the 20s come around, everyone will be beating down on the 2010s like how the 70s were ridiculed in the 80s.

::)

Written By: wixness on 08/30/19 at 7:38 pm

I can agree. I think it's because millennials these days are too conservative, not wanting to question gender roles or wearing anythign that'll make them look out of place.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/19 at 4:20 am

Would you still go to a job interview like that?

Written By: Howard on 08/31/19 at 2:34 pm

Would you still go to a job interview like that?

No That style wouldn't look good during an interview.

Written By: Dj. on 09/02/19 at 2:40 pm

fed up with all that 2010ish Gen Z garbage

Written By: piecesof93 on 09/03/19 at 8:11 pm

I don't know where you live OP but I don't see anyone with that man bun cut anymore. That was pretty much left in 2016. I would say male fashion has been terrible this entire decade. Especially the early 2010s. I'd take the fashion of today over the fashion from early and middle parts of the decade

Written By: GameXcaper on 09/04/19 at 6:34 pm

I don't know where you live OP but I don't see anyone with that man bun cut anymore. That was pretty much left in 2016. I would say male fashion has been terrible this entire decade. Especially the early 2010s. I'd take the fashion of today over the fashion from early and middle parts of the decade

I live in Toronto. This is hipster central. I just saw a couple of guys with this hairstyle just today when I was out getting breakfast.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/04/19 at 6:41 pm

I live in Toronto. This is hipster central. I just saw a couple of guys with this hairstyle just today when I was out getting breakfast.

Perhaps, then, that Canada may just simply be a little bit behind than 'the states', fashion wise. Core Hipsterism has been dead for about 1-3 years now.

Written By: mc98 on 09/04/19 at 6:44 pm

Manbuns are mostly Millennial. The Gen Z boys have a different hairstyle.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fd/b4/44/fdb4442d9c801824649fe7008a3757ef.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBBy5Cij934BuvAruoJ6wNRYDt5B47h25x4aitNkPDNvrrvIFK8A

Written By: Si_1997 on 09/05/19 at 12:41 am

Agreed. I feel like it’s more y2k fashion than 90’s. I mean I see a lot of people wearing high rise 505 levis but what about the hairstyles ?

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/05/19 at 4:10 am

Hmmm. Pictures? I need a refresher.

Written By: piecesof93 on 09/05/19 at 9:45 am

Hmmm. Pictures? I need a refresher.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xgIiLbs2SdY/Tv54YFFlh6I/AAAAAAAAAyE/yxcNI4ZYALs/s1600/NewBoyz-01-big.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQXXcp_FPNdrVJWfPdNlyrYCAP9vSziumnDiTiIft00310QA4XO

Think New Boy aesthetic.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/05/19 at 10:21 pm

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xgIiLbs2SdY/Tv54YFFlh6I/AAAAAAAAAyE/yxcNI4ZYALs/s1600/NewBoyz-01-big.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQXXcp_FPNdrVJWfPdNlyrYCAP9vSziumnDiTiIft00310QA4XO

Think New Boy aesthetic.

Now I remember. I remember not minding it as much because I was super over the super oversized clothes of a lot of the 2000s. Plus it was a sign of in your face change which is usually exciting to me. That style was at it's most cartoonish in the  early 2010s but updated to a more mature version in the mid.

Written By: Dj. on 09/05/19 at 10:22 pm

Agreed. I feel like it’s more y2k fashion than 90’s. I mean I see a lot of people wearing high rise 505 levis but what about the hairstyles ?

space buns were big in the mid aswell as the late 90s, another core 90s trend is small rounded sunglasses thats popular right now

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/05/19 at 10:49 pm

I'm not a fan of where fashion is heading, either. I remember enjoying early 2010s fashion because it just felt so new and colorful and fun. The current color scheme (darker, less vibrant colors) does not appeal to me at all.

The late '90s was the most boring era for fashion because of its virtual lack of color or shape. I hope we're not going in that direction.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/07/19 at 1:37 pm

It's really time for a change in fashion, music, and pop culture in general it's very long in the tooth at this point.

Written By: Si_1997 on 09/07/19 at 11:37 pm

space buns were big in the mid aswell as the late 90s, another core 90s trend is small rounded sunglasses thats popular right now

I had a pair of rounded glasses I got for my birthday in 2002, they were purple tinted and the rims were purple. They’d fit today’s aesthetic amongst teenagers lmao. When I mean hairstyles tho I mean the mall bangs, Big hair, middle parts, curtain hair, THE RACHEL, etc. not just the little cute ones. I’m sure a 16 year old would not wanna be walking around with mall bangs compared to a 16 year old in 1992. I’m starting to see curtain hair make a trend amongst teenage bots tho.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/19 at 9:19 am

I still see it today, it came from the 2000s, it is sagging pants/trousers, some sagged enough to tell the make and colour of the underwear. For me it looks revolting to look at.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/11/19 at 4:35 pm

Manbuns are mostly Millennial. The Gen Z boys have a different hairstyle.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fd/b4/44/fdb4442d9c801824649fe7008a3757ef.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBBy5Cij934BuvAruoJ6wNRYDt5B47h25x4aitNkPDNvrrvIFK8A

If you mean back in the mid 2010s, then I would agree, I barely saw any teens sporting 'man buns'. However, even in the late 2010s, Millennials aren't really sporting the 'man bun' in droves anymore. It's not necessarily dead, per say, (in fact, one of my good friends still occasionally sports a 'man bun', but he also has VERY long hair ;D) I still see my fair share of 'man buns' and 'undercuts' here & there, however it's certainly not as prominent, especially since it was heavily tied to early-mid 10s hipster culture. I've seen some Millennials sport the haircut you posted above, but I do agree that it's more associated with Gen Z. That 'shaggy' look doesn't necessarily work with Millennials anymore, as all of them are now firmly in the workforce, where hairstyles deemed too 'liberal', like the one's popular now with teens, would be considered unprofessional.

Written By: xenzue on 09/11/19 at 8:20 pm

If you mean back in the mid 2010s, then I would agree, I barely saw any teens sporting 'man buns'. However, even in the late 2010s, Millennials aren't really sporting the 'man bun' in droves anymore. It's not necessarily dead, per say, (in fact, one of my good friends still occasionally sports a 'man bun', but he also has VERY long hair ;D) I still see my fair share of 'man buns' and 'undercuts' here & there, however it's certainly not as prominent, especially since it was heavily tied to early-mid 10s hipster culture. I've seen some Millennials sport the haircut you posted above, but I do agree that it's more associated with Gen Z. That 'shaggy' look doesn't necessarily work with Millennials anymore, as all of them are now firmly in the workforce, where hairstyles deemed too 'liberal', like the one's popular now with teens, would be considered unprofessional.

Give it half a decade and I think cleaned up versions of men's Gen Z hairstyles will be acceptable in business environments. Only early Gen Z is in work environments, and basically none are in the higher ups.

Most non-Black millennial men still wear an undercut whereas I think Gen Z styles are more diverse in general

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/11/19 at 10:10 pm

Give it half a decade and I think cleaned up versions of men's Gen Z hairstyles will be acceptable in business environments. Only early Gen Z is in work environments, and basically none are in the higher ups.

Most non-Black millennial men still wear an undercut whereas I think Gen Z styles are more diverse in general

True, but the undercuts of the late 2010s are certainly more conservative than the undercuts of the mid 2010s. I've noticed this with my personal group of friends, many that sported much more wild assertions of hairstyles 2-3 years ago, have been cutting it down.

The difference between mid 2010s styled undercuts, like this:

https://www.menshairstylestoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Long-Comb-Over-Undercut-Full-Beard.jpg

And late 2010s styled undercuts, like this:

https://content.latest-hairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/hard-side-part-undercut-500x500.jpg

And yeah, in five years time a significant amount of Gen Z will be in the workforce, so a new mainstream hair-styled trend would take hold by then.

Written By: Criz on 09/29/19 at 3:16 pm

oh you like my hydro flask??? period sis skssksksk and i oop-

Now this I definitely do not understand! Where did this VSCO girl thing come from - the sksksk noise makes zero sense to me!

----

Regardless, it's all cyclical isn't it? Current kids are wearing stuff from the late 90s/early 00s. It's the stuff I wore during that time period (I was 15 in 1999) and it's AWFUL! Chunky trainers, crop tops with oversized sports jackets, oval sunglasses, hairclips, scrunchies are absolutely everywhere.

And - you can still find nice clothes without conforming. I must admit, I do rather a lot of online shopping (but I als return a lot of stuff too!). I buy certain 'classic' bits and certain things that are still considered fashionable - I mainly buy my stuff new from Topshop and just ignore the clothes that are 'too young' for me i.e. look like stuff I wore in the year 2000!

As for the males - I kinda like the floppy, curly/curtains hairdos for guys that are back - so much better than the short hair with lines shaved into it. Like this guy...

Written By: shadowcookie on 09/29/19 at 9:35 pm

I love late 2010s fashion and I think teenagers today are far more fashion-forward than when I was a teenager in the late 00s/early 10s. Early 2010s fashion was not good at all imo.

Written By: Criz on 09/30/19 at 11:25 am

I love late 2010s fashion and I think teenagers today are far more fashion-forward than when I was a teenager in the late 00s/early 10s. Early 2010s fashion was not good at all imo.

There's always good and bad bits from every era. Some modern fashion is gorgeous - but I just dislike the 'sporty' styles that a lot of teens fall into - much like we did when I was their age.

Written By: xenzue on 09/30/19 at 2:55 pm

Now this I definitely do not understand! Where did this VSCO girl thing come from - the sksksk noise makes zero sense to me!

VSCO is a photo editing/social app, it has a unique aesthetic and a specific kind of following. For whatever reason people started making tiktoks about it and then it blew up. The VSCO girl meme pretty much dead rn. Although the sksksk "noise" definitely did not come from VSCO girls. It probably was first a stan community thing (which is basically ran by Black LGBT ppl) and then spread out to other communities, and then finally got to the mainstream via viral tiktoks. It's supposed to be kind of a keyboard laugh, way more versatile than "lol" or "lmao". Now prior to the summer of 2019 I don't think VSCO girls actually existed in the sense of having a whole community but I might be wrong

Written By: Criz on 10/01/19 at 10:21 am

VSCO is a photo editing/social app, it has a unique aesthetic and a specific kind of following. For whatever reason people started making tiktoks about it and then it blew up. The VSCO girl meme pretty much dead rn. Although the sksksk "noise" definitely did not come from VSCO girls. It probably was first a stan community thing (which is basically ran by Black LGBT ppl) and then spread out to other communities, and then finally got to the mainstream via viral tiktoks. It's supposed to be kind of a keyboard laugh, way more versatile than "lol" or "lmao". Now prior to the summer of 2019 I don't think VSCO girls actually existed in the sense of having a whole community but I might be wrong

Thanks Xenzue! I know about the app and the 'style' - it's the sound 'sksksk' that I just couldn't comprehend. I also don't really understand tiktok as an app - what's really the point in it? Is it just the new Vine? Tbf, I also don't really get the point in Snapchat, either. God...I'm getting old!  ???  :)

Written By: Dj. on 10/01/19 at 6:29 pm

late 10s fashion is cool, it draws influences from Y2K

Written By: shadowcookie on 10/03/19 at 12:04 pm

There's always good and bad bits from every era. Some modern fashion is gorgeous - but I just dislike the 'sporty' styles that a lot of teens fall into - much like we did when I was their age.

I was never into sporty apparel but I’ve recently bought a load of Adidas/Nike/Ellesse stuff.

Written By: Criz on 10/03/19 at 2:19 pm

I was never into sporty apparel but I’ve recently bought a load of Adidas/Nike/Ellesse stuff.

It's a massive dislike of mine, unfortunately. And it definitely stems from the bad fashion when I was a teen/the chav 'type' that I hated. Sporty apparel is only for working out imo! :)

Written By: mc98 on 10/03/19 at 2:47 pm

I do like late 2010s fashion, it's rather stylish:

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/95/87/67/958767ac5dc4bf15a30880e1416db354.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/57/8a/74/578a74e35b63cac78e1aaa2d0d2f37f4.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b3/6b/7c/b36b7ceb0f43ebff47627e874404339c.jpg

Written By: Criz on 10/03/19 at 2:49 pm

See, I like the boy's outfit, but really dislike the girl's there! Couldn't see the middle pic.

Written By: Si_1997 on 10/03/19 at 9:08 pm

I like the 90’s and early 2000’s throwback. Gen Z has some dope fashion. But it’s weird that most of gen Z weren’t even born in the 90’s and high schoolers today were born in the mid 2000’s and they were better clothes than I do now 😂😭

Written By: wixness on 10/04/19 at 1:05 pm

It's a massive dislike of mine, unfortunately. And it definitely stems from the bad fashion when I was a teen/the chav 'type' that I hated. Sporty apparel is only for working out imo! :)

Sadly I may have to use sporty apparel more for practicality reasons - I keep ruining my jeans :(

I like the 90’s and early 2000’s throwback. Gen Z has some dope fashion. But it’s weird that most of gen Z weren’t even born in the 90’s and high schoolers today were born in the mid 2000’s and they were better clothes than I do now 😂😭

I don't know how I feel about it personally, but I think no one still wants to emulate the 2000s. I can't really say how 2000s fashion was like, but I guess even then the decade didn't seem like something to be proud of.

Written By: 2012emo on 10/05/19 at 2:09 am

The people that glamorize a certain decade are always the ones that didn't actually live through that decade. They didn't get to partake in the trends when they were popular so they try to bring them back now. Same thing happened with late 80s-mid 90s borns trying to bring back 80s-early 90s trends a few years ago.

I gotta say though from all the decades we could've brought back, I'm glad it's the 90s cause it's by far the prettiest decade of the 20th century 😭

Has anyone actually seen guys dressed like that in public though? I swear they only exist on the internet 😔

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/19 at 2:17 am

Has anyone actually seen guys dressed like that in public though? I swear they only exist on the internet 😔
I have seen a few, but in a way doesn't Justin Bieber dress that way?

Written By: shadowcookie on 10/05/19 at 3:07 am

Sadly I may have to use sporty apparel more for practicality reasons - I keep ruining my jeans :(I don't know how I feel about it personally, but I think no one still wants to emulate the 2000s. I can't really say how 2000s fashion was like, but I guess even then the decade didn't seem like something to be proud of.

People are already emulating early 2000s fashion.

Written By: Si_1997 on 10/05/19 at 3:56 am

The people that glamorize a certain decade are always the ones that didn't actually live through that decade. They didn't get to partake in the trends when they were popular so they try to bring them back now. Same thing happened with late 80s-mid 90s borns trying to bring back 80s-early 90s trends a few years ago.

I gotta say though from all the decades we could've brought back, I'm glad it's the 90s cause it's by far the prettiest decade of the 20th century 😭Has anyone actually seen guys dressed like that in public though? I swear they only exist on the internet 😔

Yes I see so many guys dress like that in public. I was apart of the 80’s throwback trend no lie. I felt a bit to old for the late 90’s and  y2k throwback. But one thing I will say is that I see a lot of guys especially at my uni since I’m at grad school dress like this and I love it. The curtain hair cut was really big in the 90’s and early 2000’s. It brings a lot of nostalgia for me.

Written By: Si_1997 on 10/05/19 at 4:00 am

Sadly I may have to use sporty apparel more for practicality reasons - I keep ruining my jeans :(I don't know how I feel about it personally, but I think no one still wants to emulate the 2000s. I can't really say how 2000s fashion was like, but I guess even then the decade didn't seem like something to be proud of.

Most fashion from the mid to late 90’s was seen in everyday wear amongst average people in the early to mid 2000’s. The last time I think i seen an adult wear overalls was in 2003 or 2004. Y2k fashion was pretty cute, I had little metallic coats and cheetah print coats back in that time frame, but celebrity fashion in the 2000’s was horrible and disgusting 😭

Written By: wixness on 10/05/19 at 4:05 am

People are already emulating early 2000s fashion.

I feel like we need to get even deeper into the 2000s. I'm personally getting sick of this "early 2000s" crap - it's even led people to refer to things that weren't from the early 2000s as such.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/19 at 4:56 am

Bring back the fashion of the late 1960s, it was more colourful and happier!

Written By: exodus08 on 10/05/19 at 5:10 am

Eww! No thanks.

Written By: Criz on 10/05/19 at 7:42 am

Yes I see so many guys dress like that in public. I was apart of the 80’s throwback trend no lie. I felt a bit to old for the late 90’s and  y2k throwback. But one thing I will say is that I see a lot of guys especially at my uni since I’m at grad school dress like this and I love it. The curtain hair cut was really big in the 90’s and early 2000’s. It brings a lot of nostalgia for me.

I see a lot of people dressed like that too. I tended, as a uni student to buy into the 80s throwbacks and then in my late 20s up to now go up to the mid 90s stuff. Now that 00s/Y2k stuff is in, I'm out. I'll happily mix and match certain bits and pieces, but I will never go back to the handkerchief tops, cargo pants, sporty apparel that I used to wear as a young teen. It's not me. I'll happily stick to a few pinafore dresses with striped tee underneath, skinny jeans with a leather jacket, a floaty floral dress or even cute checked skirt with a cropped oversized jumper! I love fashion - but I like to mix new with vintage and I don't think that will ever stop.

Here are some typical outfits of mine over this past year:

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/19 at 7:50 am

I see a lot of people dressed like that too. I tended, as a uni student to buy into the 80s throwbacks and then in my late 20s up to now go up to the mid 90s stuff. Now that 00s/Y2k stuff is in, I'm out. I'll happily mix and match certain bits and pieces, but I will never go back to the handkerchief tops, cargo pants, sporty apparel that I used to wear as a young teen. It's not me. I'll happily stick to a few pinafore dresses with striped tee underneath, skinny jeans with a leather jacket, a floaty floral dress or even cute checked skirt with a cropped oversized jumper! I love fashion - but I like to mix new with vintage and I don't think that will ever stop.

Here are some typical outfits of mine over this past year:

Bottom right, I think of Julia Roberts...

Written By: Howard on 10/05/19 at 2:42 pm

or the fashion from the 1970's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/19 at 3:06 pm

or the fashion from the 1970's.
That will do!

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 10/05/19 at 3:48 pm

Late 2010s Bad
Mumble Rappers Bad
Donald Trump Bad
Justin Trudeau Bad
Late 2010s fashion Bad
Juul Bad
Post-Season 5 Fortnite Bad
Paul Brothers Bad
2010s slangs like Thicc Bad
Emoji Movie Bad
Club Penguin Island Bad
Danielle Bregoli Bad

Mid 2010s and Earlier GOOD

I wanted to copy Rainbowz  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/19 at 4:34 pm

Late 2010s Bad
Mumble Rappers Bad
Donald Trump Bad
Justin Trudeau Bad
Late 2010s fashion Bad
Juul Bad
Post-Season 5 Fortnite Bad
Paul Brothers Bad
2010s slangs like Thicc Bad
Emoji Movie Bad
Club Penguin Island Bad
Danielle Bregoli Bad

Mid 2010s and Earlier GOOD

I wanted to copy Rainbowz  ;D ;D ;D
The "Emoji Movie" was not bad, it was downright awful!

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 10/05/19 at 5:07 pm

EMOJI MOVIE BAD!!!!

TOY STORY GOOD!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/19 at 5:15 pm

EMOJI MOVIE BAD!!!!

TOY STORY GOOD!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D
Toy Story movies are excellent!

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 10/05/19 at 5:27 pm

Toy Story movies are excellent!

I agree, I liked the second one the best, it was about finding light in the darkness, acceptance for new things, and having friends to support you from evil. And of course, saving your friends, which I love about Toy Story and other pixar movies

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/19 at 5:32 pm

I agree, I liked the second one the best, it was about finding light in the darkness, acceptance for new things, and having friends to support you from evil. And of course, saving your friends, which I love about Toy Story and other pixar movies
Agreed!

Add "WALL-E" to the Pixar like list!

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 10/05/19 at 10:09 pm

This is a popular trend that has been popular in the last year or so:

https://nypost.com/2019/10/05/millennials-are-binging-back-the-mustache/

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/actor-henry-cavill-arrives-at-the-premiere-of-warner-bros-news-photo-875102258-1541391893.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.757xh;0,0.125xh&resize=480:*

Ever since Henry Cavill's portrayal as August Walker, the main antagonist in Summer of 2018's major blockbuster Mission Impossible: Fallout, many people have begun to imitate his distinctive mustache in the movie. Jacksonville Jaguar's Quarterback Gardner Minshew (whom some have attributed as 'the next Tom Brady') has a similar form of mustache, and it has essentially become a meme at this point ;D. Mustaches in the Late 2010s are typically styled with a very lowforming beard, typically a 5'oclock shadow, with the mustache itself being relatively thick. It has become a popular trend among many Gen Xers and Millennials, especially as it allows for one to still have facial hair while allowing to be more streamlined and neat in a professional work environment.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/19 at 2:13 am

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/actor-henry-cavill-arrives-at-the-premiere-of-warner-bros-news-photo-875102258-1541391893.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.757xh;0,0.125xh&resize=480:*

Ever since Henry Cavill's portrayal as August Walker, the main antagonist in Summer of 2018's major blockbuster Mission Impossible: Fallout, many people have begun to imitate his distinctive mustache in the movie. Jacksonville Jaguar's Quarterback Gardner Minshew (whom some have attributed as 'the next Tom Brady') has a similar form of mustache, and it has essentially become a meme at this point ;D. Mustaches in the Late 2010s are typically styled with a very lowforming beard, typically a 5'oclock shadow, with the mustache itself being relatively thick. It has become a popular trend among many Gen Xers and Millennials, especially as it allows for one to still have facial hair while allowing to be more streamlined and neat in a professional work environment.
The single mustache has never been out of fashion.

Written By: 2001 on 10/06/19 at 7:54 am

The single mustache has never been out of fashion.

I think it only works if you have bright eyes and dark hair. The contrast puts more emphasis on the eyes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/19 at 7:57 am

I think it only works if you have bright eyes and dark hair. The contrast puts more emphasis on the eyes.
i.e.

Ronald Colman
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/45/Ronald_Colman_-_publicity.jpg

Terry-Thomas
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e2/Terry-Thomas_in_Where_Were_You_When_the_Lights_Went_Out.jpg/600px-Terry-Thomas_in_Where_Were_You_When_the_Lights_Went_Out.jpg

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 10/06/19 at 9:07 am

I agree. Hence why people that don’t have the looks in question typically rock thick mustaches with 5 o’clock shadows, simply to add a nice contrast. Not everyone (and I’d argue, most people) can’t simply rock the purely unadulterated thick mustache look without looking like a main character from a 1970s/1980s buddy cop TV show or (worse) a character in a 1990s soft core porn ;D.

The combination of our obsession with beards in this decade, mixed in with this new trend of bringing back ‘the stache’, allows one to rock a new and different style while it still looking natural.

Written By: Criz on 10/06/19 at 2:46 pm

I cannot bear the 'stache! I have never seen someone who suits it.

Beards on the other hand - well, it depends on the person. I used to HATE them with a passion, but I couldn't imagine my husband clean shaven; he'd look like a completely different person without it!

Written By: Howard on 10/07/19 at 7:32 am

I cannot bear the 'stache! I have never seen someone who suits it.

Beards on the other hand - well, it depends on the person. I used to HATE them with a passion, but I couldn't imagine my husband clean shaven; he'd look like a completely different person without it!

What about the porn 'stache?

Written By: shadowcookie on 10/07/19 at 2:18 pm

He looks pretty good but in general I think those moustaches are downright awful.

Written By: Howard on 10/07/19 at 3:06 pm

He looks pretty good but in general I think those moustaches are downright awful.

Why? What's wrong with them?

Written By: shadowcookie on 10/07/19 at 5:35 pm

Why? What's wrong with them?

Looks like a 70s porno stache. I typically only see men over 60 with them.

Written By: Howard on 10/08/19 at 7:09 am

Looks like a 70s porno stache. I typically only see men over 60 with them.

So you like it clean shaven? I used to have a mustache many years ago and I've been clean shaven for about 15 years now and haven't looked back.

Written By: Criz on 10/08/19 at 1:33 pm

What about the porn 'stache?

Oh God No!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/08/19 at 2:06 pm

Oh God No!!!  ;D ;D ;D

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/713398381410791424/KOslC6_v_400x400.jpg

not even Tom Selleck?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/19 at 6:02 am

not even Tom Selleck?
With his 'tache' in Friends!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/NINTCHDBPICT000457385505.jpg?w=620

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/19 at 7:02 am

I feel that (what I call) the I call the hairstyle "Sideshow Bob" is out dated now.

Written By: shadowcookie on 10/09/19 at 10:31 am

So you like it clean shaven? I used to have a mustache many years ago and I've been clean shaven for about 15 years now and haven't looked back.

I like a beard. Tom Selleck - I don’t find him attractive at all.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/19 at 12:29 pm

Just think, he was the original choice to play Indiana Jones?

Written By: Howard on 10/09/19 at 2:10 pm

I thought he was quite handsome back in The Magnum P.I. days.

Written By: Howard on 10/09/19 at 2:11 pm

Just think, he was the original choice to play Indiana Jones?

He would had to shave off his mustache for the role.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/19 at 2:14 pm

He would had to shave off his mustache for the role.
During an intensive casting process, Lucas and Spielberg auditioned many actors, and finally cast actor Tom Selleck as Indiana Jones. Shortly afterward pre-production began in earnest on Raiders of the Lost Ark. However, CBS refused to release Selleck from his contractual commitment to Magnum, P.I. (which was gradually gaining momentum in the ratings), forcing him to turn down the role.

Written By: goodbants on 10/09/19 at 7:09 pm

I disagree I love late 2010s fashion especially the 90s inspired kind but maybe that’s cause I don’t remember the 90s so it’s like new and cool but old and vintage at the same time  :D

Written By: 2001 on 10/10/19 at 7:37 am

I disagree I love late 2010s fashion especially the 90s inspired kind but maybe that’s cause I don’t remember the 90s so it’s like new and cool but old and vintage at the same time  :D

I do remember the late '90s/early 2000s, but being a kid I was not obsessed with fashion, so a lot of the revivals have revived memories in me that I forgot I had. I definitely dig it. :D

Written By: Criz on 10/12/19 at 2:50 pm

not even Tom Selleck?

Nope. Nope. Nope. Doesn't do it for me!

Written By: shadowcookie on 10/12/19 at 3:01 pm

I do remember the late '90s/early 2000s, but being a kid I was not obsessed with fashion, so a lot of the revivals have revived memories in me that I forgot I had. I definitely dig it. :D

I remember a lot of this fashion the first time around. There are pictures of me as a kid wearing colour block Reebok shirts and chunky trainers. Obviously at the time I just wore whatever other people bought me.

Written By: Howard on 10/13/19 at 7:15 am

Nope. Nope. Nope. Doesn't do it for me!

Then what does?

Written By: Criz on 10/17/19 at 11:45 am

Then what does?

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/fc/b9/33/fcb933aaf0faefce3c9d4b2330e42e36.jpg

This kind of look ;D  :-* Haha

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/17/19 at 6:56 pm

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/fc/b9/33/fcb933aaf0faefce3c9d4b2330e42e36.jpg

This kind of look ;D  :-* Haha

Somebody likes fkbois.  :P :P :P

Written By: Criz on 10/26/19 at 2:10 pm

Somebody likes fkbois.  :P :P :P

Nooooooo! :D

Written By: Sman12 on 11/10/19 at 8:38 pm

I'm not into fashion, but if there's one brand that I can't stand, it's the SUPREME clothing line. Pretty much the prominent fashion embodiment of snooty narcissism.

Check for new replies or respond here...